Journalist Overestimated Rally Attendance: Did 100,000 Attend or Only 30,000?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Learn different expressions for asking someone about a specific fact or situation using verb + noun pattern.
  • Discover various tenses and adverb usage for conveying information accurately.
  • Get insights on transforming Japanese sentences into English.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

以下の英文を添削して頂きたく思います。demo

I told a newz nreporter that"You wrote on your newspaper article that no less than 100000 demonstrators paticipated in the rally,but in fact, at most 30000 people did ,didn't they?. He replied "Yes they did. Actually I/we overestemated the number of the paticipants because those people were so busy with thire work that they could't.do it. But we needed to ran that story for the sake of convying thire opinions ,whether they were there or not, through our ariticle." 「あなたは記事に十万人もデモ隊はその集会に参加したと書いたけど、実際は多くても30000人でしょ?とある記者に聞いたら、彼は「そうでした(参加者は3万人)。実際にそういう人たち(参加しなかった人たち)は仕事が忙しすぎて参加できなかったので参加者数を多く見積もりました。しかし彼らの意見を伝えるためにいるかいないかに関係なくその記事を載せる必要があったんです。」 のような感じですが口語的な表現にしようと考えたのですが、AにBを聞く(Bはt節)ですが、どのような表現方法がありますでしょうか? 特に時制や副詞の用法、他の表現がありましたら教えて頂ければ幸いですし、日本文を英文にして頂ければ更に助かります。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • 92128bwsd
  • ベストアンサー率58% (2275/3919)
回答No.1

> I told a newz nreporter that"You wrote on your newspaper article that no less than 100000 demonstrators paticipated in the rally,but in fact, at most 30000 people did ,didn't they?. ⇒ I pointed out to a news reporter by asking, "You wrote a newspaper article that no less than 100,000 demonstrators participated in the rally, but the fact was only 30,000 people joined at most, wasn't it? " 「実際は多くても30000人でしょ?」は肯定文ですが、否定的なニュアンスなので少し言い方を考える必要があります。「多くても30,000が参加した、それとも彼らは参加しなかった?」ではなく、「事実は、多くても30,000人しか参加しなかった、そうじゃなかったか?」 > He replied "Yes they did. Actually I/we overestemated the number of the paticipants because those people were so busy with thire work that they could't.do it. ⇒ He replied, "Yes, you are right. Actually I cooked the number bigger because many people were so busy with their jobs to participate though they wanted. overestimated は、「過大評価をした、多く見積つもリすぎた」で意図せずにそうなったのですが、ここではわざと多く見積もったので、cooked the number 「数字を操作した」としてみました。他にもintentionally boosted/added the number とかでも良いと思います。 > But we needed to ran that story for the sake of convying thire opinions ,whether they were there or not, through our ariticle." ⇒ But we needed to convey the opinions of the people whether they could participate or not. That is why we added some number as a silent majority in our article. " オリジナルでも意味は通りますが、ちょっと変えてみました。 > AにBを聞く(Bはt節)ですが、どのような表現方法がありますでしょうか? I asked A とするとその後に次ぐくのが、about ..., if, what, why, where, when, which などなので、that 節が直接来る文はaskではできないように思います。

konan3939
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました。

konan3939
質問者

補足

1by asking~以降の構文なのですがask that節は不可と辞書にありますが、ここで直接話法になっている部分はaskの目的語になるとの理解でよろしいでしょうか?You wrote a newspaper article that のthatの用法は同格でしょうか?また、。but in fact, at most 30000 people did ,didn't they?.は「多くても30,000が参加した、それとも彼らは参加しなかった?」と捉えられてしまうのですね。個人的には「実際は多くても30000人でしょ」と考えたのですが。 2参加者数をthe numberだけでするのも良いのですね。仮にthe number of the paticipantsとしても、可能でしょうか? many people were so busy with their jobs to participate ~の部分なのですが、to paticipate構文が前の文がtoo busyであれば理解しやすいのですが。 3added some number ですがsome numberという表現になじみがあまりないのですが、つまりここでのnumberはどれほどの数を付け足したか(大勢なのか否か)がしっくりこないのですが、the number of those/the peopleとしたら特定できるかとも考えるのですが、ご見解を頂ければ幸いです。

その他の回答 (1)

• 92128bwsd
  • ベストアンサー率58% (2275/3919)
回答No.2

#1です。 > 1by asking~以降の構文なのですがask that節は不可と辞書にありますが、ここで直接話法になっている部分はaskの目的語になるとの理解でよろしいでしょうか? ⇒ 鋭いですね。少し拡大解釈をしているところがあるのですが、ask (someone) if ~ と言う言い方はあって、その場合期待する答えは yes/no。ここでは" " 内の内容は最終的にyes/noの答えを聞いていて、実質的に ask if に置き換えられると考えました。あくまでも感覚で違和感を感じなかったと言うことです。 > You wrote a newspaper article that のthatの用法は同格でしょうか? ⇒ そうです。 > また、。but in fact, at most 30000 people did ,didn't they?.は「多くても30,000が参加した、それとも彼らは参加しなかった?」と捉えられてしまうのですね。個人的には「実際は多くても30000人でしょ」と考えたのですが。 ⇒ but in fact, at most 3000 people did で、「実際は多くても3000人の参加でした」は良いのですが、ニュアンス的には only 3000 people did at mostのほうが良いと思います。一方で、didn't they すると、それとも3000人も参加しなかった?となって前のニュアンスとぶつかります。 > 2参加者数をthe numberだけでするのも良いのですね。仮にthe number of the paticipantsとしても、可能でしょうか? ⇒ 可能です。 > many people were so busy with their jobs to participate ~の部分なのですが、to paticipate構文が前の文がtoo busyであれば理解しやすいのですが。 ⇒ おっしゃるとおりです。so -> too にしないといけませんでした。 > 3added some number ですがsome numberという表現になじみがあまりないのですが、つまりここでのnumberはどれほどの数を付け足したか(大勢なのか否か)がしっくりこないのですが、the number of those/the peopleとしたら特定できるかとも考えるのですが、ご見解を頂ければ幸いです。 ⇒ ここでのsome は「ある」「いくばくかの」。おっしゃるようにどれほどの数を足したかはこれだけでははっきりしませんが、文脈でわかると思います。

konan3939
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 以下の日本文を英文にして頂きたく思います。

I told a press that"You wrote on your newspaper article that no less than 100000 demonstrators paticipated in the rally,but in fact, at most 30000 people did ,didn't they?. He replied "Yes they did. Actually I/we overestemated the number of the paticipants because those people were so busy with thire work that they could't.do it. But we needed to ran that story for the sake of convying thire opinions ,whether they were there or not, through our ariticle." 「あなたは記事で十万人もデモ隊はその集会に参加したと書いたけど。実際は多くても30000人でしょ?と記者に聞いたら、「そうでした(参加者は3万人)。実際にそういう人たち(参加しなかった人たち)は仕事が忙しすぎて参加できなかったので参加者数を多く見積もりました。しかし彼らの意見を伝えるためにいるかいないか に関係なくその記事を載せる必要があったんです。」 のような感じですが、よろしくお願いします。 特に時制や福地の用法、他の表現がありましたら教えて頂ければ幸いですし、日本文を英文にして頂ければ更に助かります。

• 以下の英文を訳してください。

All they learned(he said) was a vocabulary of okay words for essay-writing, which they strung together in arbitary order, relying on the fact that an examiner pressed for time would not actually read what they had written but would scan down the pages looking for these words. He didn't mean to be taken very seriously but it struck me that we could test this hypothesis in practice.

• 以下の英文を訳して下さい。

The Ottoman High Command failed to make up the losses of 1915. The war in Gallipoli was using all the resources and manpower. The IX, X and XI Corps could not be reinforced and in addition to that the 1st and 5th Expeditionary Forces were deployed to Mesopotamia Campaign which did not show signs of ending soon. Ottoman High Command recognizing the dire situation on other fronts, decided that this region was of secondary importance. As of January 1916, Ottoman forces were 126,000 men, only 50,539 being combat soldiers. There were 74,057 rifles, 77 machine guns and 180 pieces of artillery. Many of the guns which were supposed to defend the city had been moved to Gallipoli to counter the British forces. The guns that were left in the region were older weapons and not in very good condition. The soldiers were not in good condition. They suffered from inadequate food as was typical of many Turkish soldiers at that time. Ottoman forces in the Caucasus Campaign were big on paper, but not on the ground. Another source claim that 78,000 troops were in this region, perhaps associating the number of rifles to actual soldiers.

• 英文を添削してください。

Did the Constitution create 1 country or 13 countries?という質問に対し、 独立宣言では13の州は自由で独立した国家だとしたが、実際は憲法第2条で強調されている通り、それらは単一の国ではない。」と言おうと思うのですが、 In the Declaration of Independence, 13 states were a free and independence state, but in fact they are not a single country, as emphasized in Article 2 of the Constitution. こちらの英文で問題ないでしょうか? 宜しくおねがいします。

• 英文の邦訳の添削

They see things that the model people do not see, and more importantly we wanted to have the output of the models going to some of the fundamental people. Cross-fertilization, no different from what we do in fixed income…We have a venture…in AI, a whole group of people working on developing computer-based investing. And that’s truly a computer saying, “Buy this. Sell that.” [But] We’re not there yet…there’s no true AI yet in investing. 上記英文の下記の試訳の添削をお願いします。 「彼らはモデルとなる人々が見ていないものを見ており,より一層重要なことに,われわれは,基本的な人々の一部にモデルの商品が行き届くよう望むものである。異種交配,一定の収入でわれわれがなすことと何の違いもない…。われわれはベンチャーを,AI,コンピューター・ベースの投資の展開で働いている人々のグループ全体に行っているのである。そして,まさにコンピューターのいうままに「これを買って。あれを売る」ということである。[しかし]われわれはまだそこまで行っていない…投資においてはまだ真のAIはない。」 以上どうぞ宜しくお願いします。

• 以下の英文を訳して下さい。

Among the many buzzwords we hear in Japan at the beginning of the 21st century, two of the most common are “freeter” and “NEET.” These terms refer to people who either work in temporary jobs (freeters) or those that have no employment, education or training (NEETs). Although freeters are working, most people have a negative impression when they hear these words. One of the images that many foreigners have of Japanese people is that they are diligent. How can it be then that this new breed of people, who appear to have a casual attitude towards work, or are even lazy, came to exist? The answer to this question is not as simple as it may seem.

• 以下の英文の添削をお願い致します。PART2

2301 ジュール:Not that that is a reason to stay together. それが一緒にいる理由じゃない 2302 But it's just, you know,a scary sidebar. でも 恐ろしい付随したことなの 2303 ベン:Let's take that one off your plate right now. 2304 ベン:あなたは私とモリーと埋葬できる 2305 I happen to have space,okay? 私は偶然スペースを持ってる いい? そして次の朝ジュールはCEO候補と会います 2329 ベン:So, did we like him? それで あなたは彼を気に入ったの? ここからは全て ジュールです。 2330 He said all the right things. 彼が全て妥当なことを言ったわ 2331 He said that no one knows about the fit like me. 彼は誰も私に合うような人を知らないと言ってた 2332 That he doesn't want to remove the soul of the company. 彼は会社の指針を外したくないって 2333 He said that he doesn't have a plan. 彼は計画はないと言ってた 2334 He wants to watch us and see what works. 彼は私達を見守ってどういう仕組みか知りたいって 私は彼を雇ったわ 2339 ベン:You did it right in the room? あなたは部屋で確認しました? 2340 ジュール:He told me to sleep on it and that we'd talk tomorrow, 彼は一晩考えて明日話そうと言ったわ 2341 ジュール:but I said the job was his. 彼の態度が気に入って雇ったの 2343 ジュール:You know if, uh, we disagree, he's the tiebreaker? 私達の意見が合わないなら決着をつける? もちろん 彼はCEOです そしてジュールは家に帰り 決めたわ 彼がとても気に入って 2354 ジュール:And, uh...I offered him the job. あー...彼に仕事を提示した マット:君はそれで構わないの? 私達にとって良いと思うわ 2360 ジュール:Do we have any, like, real booze, like vodka or something? 私達は何かウォッカか何かで祝杯をあげない? マット:"僕らにとっていい」って... 会社にとって或いは僕らに? 2366 ジュール:I figure if someone else can call some of the shots at work, 会社のためではなく夫婦関係の改善にとって必要なことよ それから多分... 2368 ジュール:We can get back to where we were 18 months ago. 18ヶ月前に戻れるんじゃない 2369 ジュール:They say you can't put the genie back in the bottle, 彼らは願い事は叶わないというけど

• 以下の英文を訳して下さい。

The summer of 1918 saw a dramatic decline in the fortunes of the government. On 8 July, Clausen, in central Luxembourg City, had been bombed by the British Royal Air Force, killing ten civilians. Although this did not endear the Allies to Luxembourgers, the Grand Duchess' instinct was to run to the Germans, who were even less popular amongst the people. On 16 August, German Chancellor Georg von Hertling paid a visit to Luxembourg; although Hertling asked only to see the Grand Duchess, Kauffmann asked that he also attend. To the Luxembourgish people, relations between the two countries now seemed unambiguously cordial, and all that was left of Kauffmann's credibility disappeared. This was compounded further by the news on 26 August of the engagement of the Grand Duchess' sister, Princess Antonia, to Crown Prince Rupprecht of Bavaria, who was Generalfeldmarschall in the German army. Pressure mounted on Kauffmann; with his party still strong, but with his personal reputation shattered, he was left with no option but to resign, which he did on 28 September in favour of Émile Reuter, another conservative.

• 英文の添削をお願いします。

学校で新聞記事の一部をフィクションで作ってこいと言われたのですが、、、    POLICE OFFICERS SAVED 20 PEOPLE'S LIVES By [my name] New York , USA -2012,September 10th at 12:00. Tom Smith and Mike Anderson,the brave police officers saved 20 people's lives. A terrorist group made a bomb and put it a bus under the chair. On the bus, no one knew what happened. Only the 2 police officers knew the truth. A man called Mike about the bomb but didn't tell his name. They evacuated the people and found the bomb. When they found it, It was only 10 minutes left. They didn't have enough time to drive the bus anywhere. Then Tom made a big decision , he wanted to prevent the bomb exploding. Whwn we had an interview with Tom smith, he said that "I was a soldier before,I know how to do it but the most important thing is I am a police officer. It's my duty to save people's lives!" We should be proud of our police officers and they always protecy us. かなり幼稚な文だと思うのですが、お願いします。

• 以下の英文を訳して下さい。

When the Australians reached the Ottoman trenches they found them roofed with pine logs with no easy entrance, which had not been identified by aerial reconnaissance during the planning stages. As the Ottoman defenders recovered from the artillery barrage, they began firing at the Australians through specially cut holes at point blank range. As the second and third waves of the attack came up, some of the Australians fired, grenaded and bayoneted from above, while some found their way inside through gaps or by lifting the logs, which were in places as thick as 4 inches (10 cm) by 9 inches (23 cm). Others ran on past to the open communications and support trenches behind, where they were able to gain access to the trenches; about 70 Ottoman troops were captured as they attempted to escape and ran into the Australians entering the trenches. Small groups of Australians managed to push through to The Cup where they were stopped by Ottoman troops who were hastily assembled to defend their regimental headquarters. In the ensuing fighting there, almost all of the Australians were killed, while a handful were taken prisoner. In the Ottoman trenches, the darkness and cramped conditions led to considerable confusion amongst the attackers. Due to concerns of shooting their comrades, the Australians were unable to fire their rifles initially, and the fighting devolved into a melee as the soldiers attacked each other with bayonets and grenades. The first Australians to enter the position were picked off by the defenders, but as the Australians established themselves in strength, they were able to break into the position before the defenders that had been sheltering in the tunnels behind the front line were able to fully respond. Over the space of half an hour the Australians took control of the position and, after ejecting the remaining Ottomans from the main trench, they established a number of defensive positions along the line. These amounted to positions in the communication trenches on the flanks of the captured ground and about seven or eight posts in the centre that were "isolated" but connected by hastily dug saps. For the Australians, the attack had been successful, as they had gained possession of the main Ottoman line, and after being halted at The Cup they began preparing to defend their gains. Hastily erecting sandbag barriers along the parapet, they settled down to wait for the first counterattack. As they did so, the brigade reserve—the 1st Battalion—was brought up. Due to crowding in the tunnels that had been used for the attack, the reinforcements were sent via the open ground that had been in front of the old Ottoman positions; despite being behind the recently captured position, the ground was still subjected to heavy Ottoman artillery and machine-gun fire, which was being poured down from positions in overwatch on the flanks.