Police Officers Saved 20 People's Lives

このQ&Aのポイント
  • In 2012, two brave police officers named Tom Smith and Mike Anderson saved the lives of 20 people in New York City.
  • They discovered a bomb placed on a bus and quickly evacuated the passengers before defusing the bomb.
  • Tom, a former soldier, stated that it was his duty as a police officer to protect and save lives.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文の添削をお願いします。

学校で新聞記事の一部をフィクションで作ってこいと言われたのですが、、、    POLICE OFFICERS SAVED 20 PEOPLE'S LIVES By [my name] New York , USA -2012,September 10th at 12:00. Tom Smith and Mike Anderson,the brave police officers saved 20 people's lives. A terrorist group made a bomb and put it a bus under the chair. On the bus, no one knew what happened. Only the 2 police officers knew the truth. A man called Mike about the bomb but didn't tell his name. They evacuated the people and found the bomb. When they found it, It was only 10 minutes left. They didn't have enough time to drive the bus anywhere. Then Tom made a big decision , he wanted to prevent the bomb exploding. Whwn we had an interview with Tom smith, he said that "I was a soldier before,I know how to do it but the most important thing is I am a police officer. It's my duty to save people's lives!" We should be proud of our police officers and they always protecy us. かなり幼稚な文だと思うのですが、お願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

自分で創作しなきゃらないのかあ、大変ですね。 では文法、その他気になるところをおおまかに指摘させていただきます。 >POLICE OFFICERS SAVED 20 PEOPLE'S LIVES "SAVED"→"SAVES"ニュースのヘッドラインはその性質上、現在時制になることが多いです。 >New York , USA -2012,September 10th at 12:00 New York, USA - September 10, 2013 12:00 AM ET コンマは直前の文字に直接つなげてからスペース。月・日,・年の順番で、日は序数形式にはしないで数字だけ。昼の12時はAM、夜はPM。NYのタイムゾーンの表記ET(Eastern Time)。時刻以下の情報は出さなくてもいいかも。 >Tom Smith and Mike Anderson,the brave police officers saved 20 people's lives. Brave police officers, Tom Smith and Mike Anderson, saved 20 peoples's lives. 初めて登場させる人・物には定冠詞なし。順番はこの場合は一般名詞→固有名詞のほうがしっくり来る気がします。コンマは両脇に。 >A terrorist group made a bomb and put it a bus under the chair. A terrorist group made a bomb and put it under one of the seats of a bus. バスなどの「座席」は"seat"。座席の下に置いたなら情報としてバスより座席を先にもってくる。 >On the bus, no one knew what happened. No one on the bus noticed what was happening. 誰も起こっていることに気付いていなかった、と言いたいのだとすれば"know"より"notice"。 "know"だと目に見える事態には気付いているが、その裏にある意味がわからないということ。 "what"以下は状況の進行性を伝えるために進行形にしました。 >Only the 2 police officers knew the truth. Only the two officers did. 2→two。"truth"は"真実"ってな感じになるのでちょっと意味がこもり過ぎだと考えました。 "Only the two officers did(→knew what was happening)." >A man called Mike about the bomb but didn't tell his name. Mike had received a call about the bomb from a man who did not tell his name. どこかの誰かより、ストーリー主要人物であるマイクを主語にした方が分かりやすいですね。 マイクが電話を受けたのは物語の視点である過去のさらに過去の時点で起こった事なので過去分詞を使うのがみそですね 。名前を告げなかったという追加情報は関係代名詞をつかって補うとスムーズになります。 >They evacuated the people and found the bomb. When they found it, It was only 10 minutes left. They evacuated the people and searched for the bomb. When they found it, it was only 10 minutes before the explosion.またはthere was only 10 minutes left. "~found the bomb. When they found it~"の部分は情報の繰り返しでしたので初めに"searched for"、次に"found it"にすれば順序が生まれます。次の文は文法的に、"It was 時間 before ~"または"There was 時間 left before~"が正しく、どちらもほぼ同じ意味になります。 >They didn't have enough time to drive the bus anywhere. They did't have enough time to drive the bus anywhere safe. 「どこにも運転するする時間もなかった」より「どこか安全な所へ運転する時間はなかった」とはっきり言ってしまった方が読者は理解しやすいと思います Then Tom made a big decision , he wanted to prevent the bomb exploding. その「大きな決断」の内容は爆発を止めようと思ったことでしょうか?そうであれば、Then Tom made a big decision; he wanted to prevent the bomb exploding.のようにセミコロンを使うと効果的です。しかし、爆発を止めたいと思ったことを大きな決断と表現するのはというのは大げさな気がします。そして肝心な、彼の取った具体的な行動が示されていません。彼が一体どのようにして危機を救ったのか気になります! >Whwn we had an interview with Tom smith, he said that "I was a soldier before,I know how to do it but the most important thing is I am a police officer. It's my duty to save people's lives! When we had an interview with Tom, he said, "I was a soldier before, I knew how to do it but the most important thing was I was a police officer. It is/was my duty to save people's lives! 直接話法はthatではなくコンマやコロンでつなげます。 "I was a soldier before"の部分は厳密な文法の観点から言えば過去分詞を使うべきですが、会話文であるのと"before"が直ぐに来るということで、過去形が自然です。その後の部分は過去の事について思い出しながら喋っているので過去形です。"It is/was my duty~"は「人の命を救うのが責務だ」というのがその出来事の時点のことを念頭においていれば"was"ですが"人の命を救うのが彼の普段の、恒久的な責務 だといっていると考ると"is"のほうが良いですね。

daniya
質問者

お礼

なるほど、知らない事が沢山ありました。 助かります❗️ ありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (1)

回答No.2

最後の文が抜けてましたね。スミマセン。 >We should be proud of our police officers and they always protecy us. We should be proud of our police officers, who always protect us. このandが示す前後の関係がちょっとわからないのですが、「私たちをいつも守ってくれる警察のことを誇りに思うべきだ」という意味なら、とりあえずここも関係代名詞を使うとスッキリしますね。

daniya
質問者

お礼

やっぱり私には少し難しいようです。 ですが、わかりやすい解説を含め本当にありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 英文訳してください

On the morning of that day,a big bomb fell on the city of Hiroshima. Many people lost their lives,and many others were injured. They had burns all over their bodies. I was very sad when l saw those people. It was a very hot day. Some of the people fell down near me. I said to them,"Come and rest in my shade.You'll be all right soon." お願いします(・・*)

• わからない英文があります

Antipersonnel mines are laid on or under the ground so that they explode when they are stepped on.They have only one purpose: to kill and injure people. Many of those injured by mines die a slow death. Those who survive often live lives of misery, poverty, and discrimination. この英文でThose who survive often live lives of misery, poverty, and discrimination.の survive often live lives...についてなんですが動詞surviveの後に再び動詞liveが来るなんてありえるのですか? Those who survive often live lives of misery, poverty, and discrimination.の英文はどのように日本語に訳せばいいでしょうか? あとdie a ~death という熟語はどういう意味ですか?

• 英文和訳

so intimate is the relation between a language and the people who speak it that the two can scarcely be thought of apart. A language lives only so long as there are people who speak it and use it as native tongue, and its greatness is only that given to it by these people. 質問部分 最後の部分greatness is only that given to it by these people.のitがなにを示しているのかがわかりません。 ちなみに参考書の和訳にはこういった人々によって与えられる偉大さにほかならない。と書かれています。 よろしくお願いします

• 次の英文を翻訳お願いします。

I've noticed that, too. Many people are eating miso soup and sushi... I notice it is mostly white people who do it though. They seem to "discover" things many cultures already knew. Just like with coconut oil, my family has cooked with it for generations, but after they got their hands on it, it became too expensive and I had to buy canola oil instead. よろしくお願いします。

• 英文を添削してください

For middle‐class Americans, the 1950s were a time of prosperity. Americans had more discretionary income, and they spent it on cars, homes, television sets, and an array of other household appliances. Throughout the country, while many Americans enjoyed the fruits of an “affluent society,” poverty was more widespread than most believed, and the struggle for civil rights by minorities, particularly African‐Americans, became a national concern. ⇨For middle‐class Americans, the 1950s were a time of prosperity. Americans had more discretionary income, and they spent it on cars, homes, television sets, and other household appliances. A lot of people in America feel an "affluent society", while poverty was more widespread, and the struggle for civil rights by minorities, particularly African‐Americans, became a national concern. 文章を簡単にしたくて、⇨以降は私が作りました。 ⇨以降の文が文法的に、もしくは、それだとちょっと省きすぎ、などあれば教えて欲しいです。 また、もっと簡単な表現方法がある、この文は省いても問題ない、などあればそちらも教えて欲しいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英文を訳して下さい。

He also said the NRA would coordinate a national effort to put former military and police officers in schools as volunteer guards. 直訳でお願いします。

• 添削してください

This story of this movie is three people (bandit, wife and samurai) made a different claim. They said that a criminal is yourself. They wanted to protect their pride rather than their own lives. Despite of black-and-white, I felt the glare of the sun and the images is beautiful. 「この映画では全員がみんな違った主張をし、それぞれ自分が犯人だと言います。 3人とも自分の命が助かることよりも、プライドを守りたかったのです。 白黒映画にもかかわらず、映像は美しく、太陽の眩しさを感じました。」 こちらの英文を添削してください。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英文添削お願いします。

英文添削お願いします。 First October ‘10 I thought whether I would go out to drink or not after work. Finally I decided not to go, as I will do next Monday and Tuesday. And most of the reasons what I decided so is to watch a TV program. Perhaps, if most of people hear it, they feel I am sad person. Most of my favorite TV program is “walking town to meet in the world” And it is the town I love and hadn’t been to six months ago. After watching it, I’m sure I’ll go Bergen. I want to watch it as soon as possible.

• この英文添削をお願いします。

以下の私の英文チェックをお願いできますか? (1)だからこそ父の言葉は彼女の胸に響いた。 That's why her father's words have touched her heart. (2)父は自らそれを止めたと思っているだろうが、もともと彼女にはそれをしようという気持ちはなかった。彼は彼女の気持ちがわからなかったのだろうか?父は娘のことをわかっているようで、でもまだ彼女がどういう人物なのかわかっていなかったのかもしれない。 Her father thought he stopped it but that not true. She was not going to do it. Didn't he know how she felt? He believed that he knew his daughter very well and he thought he knew what kind of person she is, but actually not. (3)それでも彼女の父に対する感謝の気持ちは残っている。 Even if, her feeling of gratitude to her father is still remaining. (4)しかし彼女の混乱した気持ちを整理するには時間が必要だった。 However, she did have to take a time to comoise (?) her thoughts. すみませんがよろしくお願いいたします。

• 英文解釈

In most instances the speech of the first settlers lives on when they come in substantial numbers and people the land with their descendants. この文の中のpeopleは動詞だそうですが、ネイティブでない受験生にとってはパッと気づくものだとは思えません。 そこで、このpeopleが動詞だと判断するまでに、どのような文法的な思考過程を踏めばよいのでしょうか? 詳説をよろしくお願いします。