Why is the expression 'had better' difficult in many cases?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • The expression 'had better' is often used as a translation for the Japanese expression 'shitahogayoi', which means 'had better' in English.
  • However, in many cases, a Japanese speaker would use 'had better' while an American speaker would be more likely to use 'should'.
  • This difference in usage can cause confusion for learners of English as a second language.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

in many casesが難しい

A possible reason for this tendency is that this expression resembles the Japanese shitahogayoi, for which it is usually used as a translation. In many cases in which a Japanese uses the expression “had better,” however, an American speaker of English would be more likely to use the word “should.” <試 訳> この傾向の可能性のある理由は、多くの場合、この言い方が、日本語の“した方が よい”に似ていて、英語への訳としてよく使われます。 しかし、多くの場合、日本人が、“had better”という表現を使う場合、 英語のアメリカ人の話者は、さらに多く、“should”という言葉を使うことが多いようです。 <質問> (1)In many cases in which この語と使い方がややこしい。        副詞句です。   <試し訳>の位置で正しいでしょうか。   (2)would be more likely to use について   この部分の各々の語をきちんと掴んで訳していないように思います。   直訳すると、どういう言葉使いになるでしょうか。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

1文目は英語的には 「~理由は~であるということです」と書いています。 日本語としても「使われます」という結び方はおかしいです。 (1) 構造的には関係代名詞 in which ~が cases にかかって 「日本人が "had better" という表現を使う多くの場合」です。 (2) be likely to ~で「~する公算が強い」 これが more で比較級になっています。 これは than "had better" が隠れていて, (had better よりも)should が使われる可能性の方が高いだろう。 こういう比較級を「さらに」とするのでなく,何かに対して「より多く」です。

ara3393514
質問者

補足

*an American speaker of English について    こういう書き方もあることは分かります。 *しかし、「英語のアメリカ人話者は・・」というのは   当たり前過ぎて、普通ではない。 *例えば、「日本語の日本人話者は・・」というのと同じです。 *なぜ、このような言い方をしたかを問う。 *もしかすると、「アメリカ英語の場合は・・」という意味ではないかと   思いました。 *すると、イギリス英語では shouldを、アメリカ英語ほど、使わない   という意味になります。   はたして、そうなのかな?と思いました。 *辞書weblioを見ると、shouldについて、とくに英語、米語に    言及していません。 *結論として、an American speaker of English について   (of English)の部分は、訳してもよし、訳さなくてもよい   という判断で良いでしょうか。 *変なことに拘るようですが、よろしくお願いします。         

その他の回答 (1)

• marbleshit
  • ベストアンサー率49% (5033/10253)
回答No.1

A possible reason for this tendency is that this expression resembles the Japanese shitahogayoi, for which it is usually used as a translation. In many cases in which a Japanese uses the expression “had better,” however, an American speaker of English would be more likely to use the word “should.” こうした傾向を齎す原因の一つには、この表現が日本語の《した方がよい》に似ており、概してそう訳されることが多いことに因る。 多くの日本人が"had better"という表現を用いる場合でも、如何せんアメリカ人の英語話者は寧ろ"should"という単語の方を多く使うようである。

ara3393514
質問者

お礼

an American speaker of English この言い方は、日本人の日本語話者は/というのと同じで、  また、英語のアメリカ人話者、英語のイギリス人話者/という  言い方が考えられて、普通でないと感じて、迷いました。 達人の訳を読んで、なんとなく分かってきました。 ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• had better is used.がむずかしい

One characteristic of Japanese English which Americans soon notice is the ((4)) with which the expression “had better” is used. (1)→(1)speed (2)fluency (3)interest (4)frequency アメリカ人がすぐに気がつく“日本人の英語“の特色の一つは、 “had better”という表現を混ぜて使うことが多いことです。 <質問> *is the frequency with which ~is used 混ぜて使われることが多い。   この部分の訳し方/言葉使い/言い回し/が難しい。  受動→能動態にしましたけども、この訳し方/言葉使いは正しいでしょうか

• There are many more sheep

There are many more sheep than people in New Zealand. ここではシープの位置はここなのに、 My girlfriend likes dogs a lot better than cats. の、dogの位置は、betterの後ろじゃないんですか?

• 英語 入試過去問

入試問題を教えてください。 (1)和訳問題 The doctor asked me if Iwanted them taken out one by one in four sessions. (2)並び替え問題 Although she was willing to explain to me ( painful / likely / was / more / which / be / method / to ), and which one would be more damaging to my general health, she completely refused to say which was better for me. (1)はin four sessionsの訳し方がよく分かりません。 (2)はwhich method was more likely to be painful になるかと思ったのですが、どうでしょうか。 よろしくお願い致します。

• to say が難しい

Although both “should” and “had better” can be used when giving directions, in American English it would be considered more natural, and more polite, to say, “To get to Sakae from here, you should take the Higashiyama Line” than, “To get to Sakae from here, you had better take the Higashiyama Line.” “should”も“had better”もともに、指図するときに使うことが出来る けれども、アメリカ人の英語では、より自然に、より丁寧に、“ここから 栄駅に行くには、東山線を使う<方がいい>”というよりも、“ここから 栄駅に行くためには、東山線に乗る<べきです>”と云うように考慮 されます。 *栄駅:名古屋地下鉄駅 *it would be considered;仮主語it、意味上の主語はAmerican English <質問> *訳を点検していただきたいと思います。 *to say の部分が特に面倒でした。   この文章は、組立てが大きく、間違えている可能性が大です。 *意味を正しく捉えているかどうかが問題です。 *よろしくお願いします。

• many more books の訳

My brother has many more good books than I. という文があって、その訳が、兄は私よりはるかに多くの本を持っている。となっています。 しかし、この many は much more money のように「ずっと」という意味ではなく、in addition, further と言った意味だと文法書に書いてありました。 だから、上の訳は、間違いで、「さらに多くの本」とすべきなのではと思うのですが、合ってるでしょうか? また、よくこの many は much と比較して書かれてありますが、それは正しいのでしょうか? many more books と much more money のmany と much はただ後の名詞がUかCかだけの違いではないのではと思っているのですが、どうなのでしょう?

• in which が含まれる英文解釈

Have you had an experience in which after you wore a cap for some time and then took it off, you felt as if you still had it on? 「あなたはしばらく帽子をかぶった後にぬいでも、まだ帽子をかぶっているように感じた経験がありますか。」 というような訳になるのでは、と思うのですが、文法的に in which のin が、もともとどの単語についていたものなのかがよくわかりません。 in whichの使い方がもともとあやふやです。 どなたかわかりやすく教えていただけませんか。よろしくお願いします。

• most of とmost、thatとin which

most of peopleとmost peopleは何が違うのですか? また、この二つの文は文法的に正しいですか? 和訳も教えてください。 You should apply for a job which your skills will be of use in. You should apply for a job that your skills will be of use.

• 添削をお願いします。(辞書で確認する事が大切です。)

いつもお世話になります。<(_ _)>  添削をお願いします。 日本語でもよく使われる単語、例えばビジネス businessは「仕事」という意味以外にも沢山の意味がある、知っていると思っている単語ほど、辞書で確認する事が大切です。 A word, which we borrow and use frequently in Japanese, for example "business" has a lot of meanings in addtion to "work" as in Japanese context. The more familiar you think you are with a word in Japanese, the more important it is for you to look it up in a dictionary.

• 和訳をお願いしますヾ(_ _*)

Dr. Eleni Linos is a researcher in the dermatology department at the Stanford University Medical Center. She and her team wanted to find out if skin cancer was truly becoming a more common disease, or if the number of cases had increased only because of a better ability to detect cancer. The level of knowledge and quality of equipment used in the detection or diagnosis of cancer has certainly improved incredibly in recent years. It thus would not be surprising to find that the incidence of skin cancer, that is, the number of new cases that occur in a population during a particular time, had stayed the same despite the observed increase in the number of patients. To investigate this question, Dr. Linos and her team analyzed 70,596 cases of skin cancer. They found that the increase in cases occurred for tumors of all thicknesses. This observation was important because better diagnoses would be expected to primarily find newer cancers, which would be thinner than older cancers. After analyzing the number of cases in other ways, the researchers concluded that the base incidence level truly is increasing. Their advice: avoid the sun, and see your doctor. よろしくお願いします<(_ _)>

• 英語が得意な方へ

アメリカの質問掲示板で質問した際の、返事がよく理解できませんでした。どなたか、分かりやすく訳、または要約をしてくれませんか? 質問 I'm Japanese student studying English This time, I want to ask about subjunctive mood.If you had behaved such a way in the party, my parents would have said that ( ). In ( ), I want to insert ' I had to go home.' , but is it okay to insert this sentence? 'If I had behaved such a way in the party, my parents would have said that I had to go home.' Is this sentence correct? I can't understand the tense, therefore please tell me about how to change the tense. I'm japanese student studying English, so I couldn't write sentences well. 答え You are quite correct. The subjunctive mood is used to describe hypothetical cases, regardless of the facts of the matter. They set the scene, so to speak, and what would happen as a consequence should be delivered in the appropriate tense (which has nothing to do with mood). Thus: "They would have said I had to go home." "They would have said you were acting foolishly." "They would have said 'You are a fool,' and turned away from you." In the last example, the quote would have been delivered in the present of the hypothetical time, and should be rendered that way.