意識的に内部の戦いと抵抗を表現する建築と構造工学

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 肺に空気を吸い込みながら海面からどれ程までもぐることができるかについて、マサチューセッツ工科大学の先生の文章を訳した上で、stillの丁寧な意味合いを知りたいです。
  • 建築と構造工学を物理的な視点から考えると、それらは下方向への力と戦い抵抗する芸術であると言えます。また、連続のハイフンの意味も知りたいです。
  • 建物は文字通り地球の重力と戦いながら天空へと押し上げられています。特定の高層ビルは重力から逃れたように見えますが、実際には建物そのものが新たな高みを目指して戦っているのです。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

for the love of physics

マサチューセッツ工科大学の先生の文章を訳しました。 (1)What I really want to find out is how deep I can be below the surface and still suck air into my lungs. 私が本当に知りたいことは肺に空気を吸い込みながら海面からどれ程までもぐることができるか?である。 と訳しましたが、and still suck という後出しの文章の訳をこういう風に訳していいのか不安ですがいいのでしょうか。 このパラグラフで頻繁に still ~という風に汎用されていますがこの訳においてのstillの丁寧な意味合いを知りたいです。 (2)One way to think of architecture and construction engineering, then, is that they are the arts of battling the downward force to a standstill. We may think of certain feathery skyscrapers as having escaped gravity. They've done no such thing -- they've taken the battle literally to new heights. 今度街中を歩くときは、物理学的な物事をとらえて歩いてみてくれ。本当に見えているものってなんだろう?一つに、沿道のどの建物を見ても、あなたの目に映るのは内部で繰り広げている壮絶な戦いの結果だ。といっても会社内の政治的な駆け引きのことではない。一方の陣営では、地球の重力が壁やドアや天井だけでなく、机やエアコン郵便シュートエレベーター秘書もCOEも無差別にあらゆるものを引っ張ろうと奮闘している。コーヒーとクロワッサンまで同様だ。もう一方では、鋼と煉瓦とコンクリートに司令官の大地を加えた連合軍が、建物を天空へ押し上げようとしている。 という文章の次にこの (2)が続きます。 建築家や構造工学者の考え方を用いると、下向きの力を停止するための争いにおいて芸術ともいえるのではないか。我々は重力から逃れたものとして特別な羽をもつ超高層ビルとして建物をみなすだろうが。そんな本質は一つもありはしないのだ。文字通り彼らは新しい高みへ上るための争いを始めたのだ。 ここで質問です。まず、(2)でつかわれてる  連続のハイフンはどういう意味を成しているのでしょうか。 ご迷惑おかけしますがご指導お願い申し上げます。

• ligase
  • お礼率92% (997/1082)
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

What I really want to find out is how deep I can be below the surface and still suck air into my lungs. ここでのand stillは『それでもなお』と訳し文の前から順に訳していくのが良いと思います。『私が本当に見つけたいのは海面から深くもぐりそれでもなお肺に息を吸い込むことができるはどれくらいの深さなのかということである』 One way to think of architecture and construction engineering, then, is that they are the arts of battling the downward force to a standstill. We may think of certain feathery skyscrapers as having escaped gravity. They've done no such thing -- they've taken the battle literally to new heights.  『建築工学、建設工学を考える一つの方法は、それらは下向きの力を止めるための戦いを行う芸術的な技とみなすことである。羽根のような超高層ビルを重力から解き放したと考えるかも知れない。(建築工学、建設工学は)そんなことはしてはいない -- (そうではなく)戦いを文字通り新しい高さまで持っていったのである』 連続ハイフンの意味というよりは意図は、著者は前文をピリオドで終わりにしたくなく、少し一息ついてら結論めいたことを続けたかったのだと思います。

ligase
質問者

お礼

ご指導誠にありがとうございます。 日本語版の訳でもstillのことは無視して訳していたのでかなり気になってました。 お陰様でどのようにつかえばいいかの感覚がわかりました。 また、著者の意図している文章の書き方のとらえ方から丁寧な訳のご指導本当にありがとうございます。 今後ともよろしくお願い申し上げます。

関連するQ&A

• forの使い方

以下の文章のforはなんとなく意味は分かりますがどうゆう使い方なんでしょうか。解説をおねがいします。 While EUrope is still groggy and the U.S. is just starting to show signs of a pulse (and Japan of course is still down for the count),little Korean will grow anywhere from 3,2% to 6% this year. TIMEの36pより

• I think we can think of a lot of th

I think we can think of a lot of these special reactive words that people can get used to and then get used to the tense that they would use. のthat people以下の訳し方がわかりません。どう訳したらいいですか? 日本人に英語を教えている先生同士の会話の一部分です。時制は外国人生徒にとって難しいというくだりに出てきました。

• think of ~ingはthink of to ~に置き換え可能ですか?

"I tried every way I could think of to get it back on"という文章を見かけました。think of の後にto がくる形を初めて見たのですが(勉強不足ですみません)これは~ingと置き換えが可能なのでしょうか? それとも特別な言いまわしなのですか? 宜しくお願いします。

• of much use...

NHKラジオ英会話講座より I've accumulated a ton of pennies and nickels. They won't be of much use to me in Japan. ・・・・、日本ではあまり私の役に立ちませんから。 (質問)前置詞[of]の前に[be]動詞があります。[of]の前は名詞が来るものと思っていましたので戸惑っています。[of much use]で「大いに役に立つ」と丸暗記するところでしょうか。[of]の前に動詞が来るパターンは結構多いものでしょうか?お伺いいたします。よろしくお願いいたします。以上

• ここでのHowの意味は?

こんにちは。 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire [UK, adult版]p.617の下の方の文に関してです。 ロンがフレッドとジョウジのことを心配しての発言です。 'They've only got a year left at Hogwarts, they keep going on about how it's time to think about their future, and Dad can't help them, and they need gold to get started.' ここで'how it's time to ...'のhowはどういう意味なんでしょうか? よろしくお願いします。

• 英語が堪能な方

自然な訳をお願いできますか? I do think it's creepy, and because thereis a connection to these characters that are fallible, and i think that is the main draw over and above the horror. I think the great connectedness is that they contradict themselves, they're full of contradictions. As we discussed earlier, no one is who they seem to be and that is kind of who we are.

• 和訳がわかりません(?)

歴史は絶対的に正しくないというような文脈の文章です。 But they are still records,subject to many interpretaitons and subjict also to ""the tricks memory play even on eyewitnesses"". ""の部分が文法的に解りません。memory ofのミスプリでしょうか。それにしてもいまいち解りません・和訳は「目撃者さえも欺く記憶の悪戯」です。 どなたか教えてください。

• above all of

下記の直訳を文を区切って教えていただけますか? They were given 30% longer to complete the test and hiragana character readings were provided above of all of the kanji on the test paper.

• 和訳出来る方 いらっしゃいますでしょうか?

Willie Nelson & Julio Iglesias - To All The Girls I've Loved Before の歌詞を 和訳出来る方 いらっしゃいますでしょうか? 和訳サイトで変換したのですが 変な和訳になっちゃうので 宜しくお願いいたします To all the girls I've loved before Who travelled in and out my door I'm glad they came along I dedicate this song To all the girls I've loved before To all the girls I once caressed And may I say I've held the best For helping me to grow I owe a lot I know To all the girls I've loved before The winds of change are always blowing And every time I try to stay The winds of change continue blowing And they just carry me away To all the girls who shared my life Who now are someone else's wives I'm glad they came along I dedicate this song To all the girls I've loved before To all the girls who cared for me Who filled my nights with ecstasy They live within my heart I'll always be a part Of all the girls I've loved before The winds of change are always blowing And every time I try to stay The winds of change continue blowing And they just carry me away To all the girls we've loved before Who travelled in and out our doors We're glad they came along We dedicate this song To all the girls we've loved before To all the girls we've loved before Who travelled in and out our doors We're glad they came along We dedicate this song To all the girls we've loved before

• 『The sound of summer ~』

Ray Bradburyの『The sound of summer running』という短編からの質問です。 Well, he felt sorry for boys who lived in California where they wore tennis shoes all year and never knew what it was to get winter off your feet, peel off the iron leather shoes all full of snow and rain and run barefoot for a day and then lace on the first new tennis shoes of the season, which was better than barefoot. The magic was always in the new pair of shoes. The magic might die by the first of September, but now in late June there was still plenty of magic, and shoes like these could jump you over trees and rivers and houses. And if you wanted, they could jump you over fences and sidewalks and dogs. “Don’t you see?” said Douglas. “I just can’t use last year’s pair.” For last year’s pair were dead inside. They had been fine when he started them out, last year. But by the end of summer, every year, you always found out, you always knew, you couldn’t really jump over rivers and trees and houses in them, and they were dead. But this was a new year, and he felt that this time, with this new pair of shoes, he could do anything, anything at all. They walked up on the steps to their house. “Save your money,” said Dad. “In five or six weeks—” “Summer’ll be over!” ************************* they wore tennis shoes all year and never knew what it was to get winter off your feet, peel off the iron leather shoes all full of snow and rainについてですが it was to get winter off your feet~は、be動詞+to不定詞で、「あなたの足から冬を取り去ることになる」という予定の意味ですか? all full of snow and rainが、文にどのようにつながるのかわかりません。前置詞がないような?それとも the iron leather shoesと all full of snow and rainの間で切れているのか・・? ************************* last year’s pair were dead inside.の個所について deadは「すたれた」の意味ですか? ************************** 教えていただけるとありがたいです。 よろしくお願いいたします。