• 締切済み

their lack of English language ability と the lack of their English ---

会話の本に This explains why it is almost impposible to get a westernーstyle conversation or discussion going with English students in Japan. I used to think that the problem was their lack of English language ability. But I finally came to realize that the biggest problem is that they,too, are playing the wrong game.  私はこの文章を覚えているのですが, 問題は二番目の文章で、their lack of English laguage ability を 時たまthe lack of their English language ability といっております。文章を書く場合は後者がただしいのだと思いますが、 話す場合は前者で良いのでしょうか。 教えて下さい。英文文頭のThis は前の文章のことです。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数5

みんなの回答

• flyaway
  • ベストアンサー率19% (306/1541)
回答No.1

ちょっと言い換えてみると: their lack of English laguage ability → They are lacking English language ability. 「彼らは英語能力が足りない。」 the lack of their English language ability → Their English language ability is lacking. 「彼らの英語能力が足りない。」 べつにどちらでも正しいと思います。

kazu632501
質問者

お礼

なるほど! その様に書き換える事ができるのですね。 書き換えてみれば違いがわかります。 有難う御座いました。

関連するQ&A

• "ability of talking"は不可?

【例文】:イルカは会話をする能力があると言われている。 【 × 】:It is said that dolphins have the ability of talking with each other. 【 ○ 】:It is said that dolphins have the ability to talk with each other. →"ability of talking"は文法的に不可と有りましたが、どうしてなのでしょうか?何方か理由をご存知の方教えて下さい。ability of talking有っても良い様な気がします。宜しくお願いします。

• It was 【to】 their ...

移民の大量流入にもかかわらず、アメリカが単一言語である理由を述べた後 こう続きます。 People who didn't blend in risked being made to feel like outsiders. The pattern for children of immigrants was to become so "American" that they were unable to speak their parents' languages. It was 【to】 their advantage socially and economically to be able to speak the language used throughout the country. This led to the continuation of a single, nationwide language. 【to】について教えてください。 これは『結果』を表すtoと考え、次のように訳してみたんですが、この訳でいいでしょうか? 『国中で使われている言語を話すことができることは、結局、社会的・経済的に彼らに有利になった。』 よろしくお願いします。

• Early English versions

Early English versions The Bible in English is almost as old as the English language. In fact, the scriptures are as old as written English. This is because the written form of English was produced expressly for the purpose of teaching about the Christian faith. English developed from the languages spoken by the Germanic people (Angles, Saxons and Jutes) who settled, from the 5th century A.D., in what is now England. They did not write their languages apart from perhaps making marks on objects to serve as lucky charms or to show ownership (for this they would use the Germanic characters known as runes). The first extended written English texts were made by missionary priests, who spoke and wrote Latin. They adapted the Roman alphabet, adding the letters æ (known as "ash") ð ("eth") and Þ ("thorn") — though these letters are not used in English today (æ corresponds to the vowel in "ash"; ð and Þ are used interchangeably for both consonants represented by "th", as in "cloth" or "clothe"). The priests' purpose in writing was to produce English texts for a handful of educated and literate men to read aloud to the illiterate and largely pagan people whom they sought to bring into the church. の和訳をお願いします。

• 長文 和訳

こないだテストでだされたんですが和訳した回答を配ってくれませんでした。。。自分の訳があっているか知りたいのでだいたいで良いので和訳できる人がいたらよろしくお願いします。。。 You may wonder why Hawaiians are so eager to maintain their native language. I think the answer is that language is more than just a means of exchanging information. We see the world around us through the window of our language. It enables us to share the history and culture of our people, and so it helps us find our identity. If we lose our language, we lose something of ourselves. Imagine that English has taken the place of the Japanese language here in Japan. What happens to your culture and identity? English is useful for communication in many parts of the world, but your mother tongue is an important part of your identity. In Japan ,too,there is a minority language, just as in Hawaii. The Ainu people have lose much of their language and culture. Today, they are trying to revive their traditions. In this class we are going to study English of course, but I want you to remember that your mother tongue is the most important language in the world. Mahalo for listening. 以上なんですが長文なのでかなり長いです。。。  これでも回答してくれる方お願いいたします。

• 英語日記23 語学を学ぶのに一番大事なこと

最近ながい文章がかけません。すぐにかくことがなくなってしまいます。。。。。 なにか良い方法ありますか?? すいませんが最近英語力のライティングをあげようと英作文をまいにち書くようにしてます。 レベルのひくい英作文ではずかしいのですが。できれば文法や細かい間違いを指摘して頂けると幸いです There are many people in the world who want to learn foreign languages but what is the most important to progress of one`s ability of languages. In my opinion, The fastest way for you to improve your language skills is to go to the country where the language you want to learn is spoken However, there are a lot of people who go abroad every day in Japan but I think that they tend to gather up with their own country. This is because they feel relieved when they talk with their own country people. you have a big misunderstanding if you think that you would be able to speak foreign language easily the way of just going abroad.

• is of grave concernのof

英語やり直し組です 本日「This matter is of grave concern to the United Nations」という文を見ました。 importanceとは違いof grave concrenのofは無くてもいいように感じたので色々調べてみたのですが Of greater concern is … Of immediate concern is … のようにofがあるのと My biggest concern is … concern is … のように無いのが多く見つかりました。 有っても無くても意味はわかるので気にする必要はないのかもしれませんがこの場合どっちでもいいのでしょうか? お願いします。

• 和訳が分かりません。

That sort of overall sustainable energy problem is the biggest problem that we have to solve this century, independent of environmental concerns 上記の文章なんですが、independent.. の部分がうまく訳せません。 これな文法的にどのような役割なのでしょうか。

• 和訳してくださいm(_ _)m

It is easy to say that English will be the dominant language of the 21st century. After all, it is the main language of the world's biggest economy, the United States, and the common language of business. A large percent of the information on the Internet is in English, and worldwide, many countries are rushing to learn English, since they regard it as vital for economic success.For example, English is the working language of the Asian trade group ASEAN. ln addition, in Malaysia English recently replaced Malay as the language used to teach mathematics and science in schools. The dream of many is that English will develop into a truly global language so that wherever we go, we can understand and be understood. This would ease cultural misunderstandings, encourage tourism, enable trade to work smoothly,reduce the conflict between nations, and lead to a more peaceful world. たくさん投稿しますが、よろしくお願いしますm(_ _)m

• theirが指すもの

We may think that someone from a different country is behaving rudely when their behavior is perfectly accepted in their country.この文章のtheirはsomeoneを受けていると私は思います。 しかし参考書の日本語訳は「自国の国で自分の振る舞いが完全に認められているとき、他国の人の振る舞いを無礼であると私たちは受け取るかもしれない」と書かれておりtheirはweを受けているように思えます。 分からないのでどう考えるかとその理由を教えてください。

• 英作文の添削お願いします。

ふと、今後の世界がどう変わっていくのかを考えてみた。今日の世界において、重要な問題の1つとして、人口増加による食糧不足がある。自分は関係ないと思う人もいるだろう。そのように考える人の気持ちもわかる。私もそのような問題に対して何をすればよいか分からないのである。 I suddenly think about how the state of the affairs in the world will change. Today, there are a lot of problems ,especially the lack of food is serious problem. Maybe many Japanese people think that it does not affect them. I can understand their feeling. I don't know what to do about this problem. あと、どのようにという表現を使う時、howとwhatをどう使うかも教えて頂きたいです。宜しくお願いいたします。