Why is the United States a Monolingual Country? The Advantage of Speaking the National Language

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Despite the large influx of immigrants, the United States has remained a monolingual country for a specific reason. Speaking the language used throughout the country has provided social and economic advantages.
  • The children of immigrants often assimilated to American culture to the point where they couldn't speak their parents' languages anymore. This assimilation was socially and economically beneficial, as it allowed them to fit in and succeed in society.
  • The continuation of a single, nationwide language in the United States was driven by the advantages it provided to individuals who could speak it. It created a sense of unity and facilitated communication across the country.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

It was 【to】 their ...

移民の大量流入にもかかわらず、アメリカが単一言語である理由を述べた後 こう続きます。 People who didn't blend in risked being made to feel like outsiders. The pattern for children of immigrants was to become so "American" that they were unable to speak their parents' languages. It was 【to】 their advantage socially and economically to be able to speak the language used throughout the country. This led to the continuation of a single, nationwide language. 【to】について教えてください。 これは『結果』を表すtoと考え、次のように訳してみたんですが、この訳でいいでしょうか? 『国中で使われている言語を話すことができることは、結局、社会的・経済的に彼らに有利になった。』 よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

結果と分類されるものだとは思います。 to my surprise「驚いたことには」なんていうパターンでおなじみですが, to one's 名詞という形です。 ただ,ここでは it is 形 to 原形という形式主語構文で用いられているように, to their advantage の部分が形容詞的な補語の役割を果たしています。 of importance 的に of advantage としても「有利な,有用な」という意味で正しくなりますが, of great advantage など,間に修飾語がくることができますが, their のような所有格だと to がぴったりです。 「有利な方向へ向かって」という to の基本の意味であり,それが結果の用法と根幹は同じだと思います。 ただ,「結局」という感覚とはちょっと違うと思います。 「有利な方向に働いた」くらいでいいのではないでしょうか。

d-moveon
質問者

お礼

>to their advantage の部分が形容詞的な補語の役割 toに固執しすぎました。 補語とは考えてもみませんでした… >of importance 的に わかりました! 同じように考えればいいんですね!納得できました。 ご回答に心から感謝いたします! ありがとうございました!! 

その他の回答 (1)

• bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.2

文脈を示した上で問題の部分を含む文章を出して、疑問箇所を明確に指定した上でのご質問、理想的な質問の形ですね。 to their advantage は学習者の便宜を考慮した辞書などでは、たとえば to A's advantage という形で見出しを出してくれてたりしますが、そのひとかたまりで1つの表現です。 to が 「結果」 を表しているという見方には、私は首を傾げます。あえていえば、advantage というものに 「向かう」 という感じなのではないかという気がします。 同じような to を伴う表現には、たとえば to my surprise (驚いたことには) とか to my dismay (うろたえてしまうが) みたいなのがあります。いずれも、そういう組み合わせで1つの副詞のような働きをするもので、分解して to だけ取り出して云々することに、大して価値があるとは思えません。 お示しの訳でいいと思いますが、「結局」 と訳さなければならないという必要性は、ないように思います。私なら 「それは (なぜかといえば)、米国のどこでも話されている言語を話せるということが、彼らにとって社会的にも経済的にも有利になるからである」 などとします。

d-moveon
質問者

お礼

>分解して to だけ取り出して云々することに おっしゃるとおりです。 とても勉強になりました。 >「結局」 と訳さなければならないという必要性は、ないように 自分が何を取り違えていたのかよくわかりました! ご回答くださいましてありがとうございました!

関連するQ&A

• their lack of English language ability と the lack of their English ---

会話の本に This explains why it is almost impposible to get a westernーstyle conversation or discussion going with English students in Japan. I used to think that the problem was their lack of English language ability. But I finally came to realize that the biggest problem is that they,too, are playing the wrong game.  私はこの文章を覚えているのですが, 問題は二番目の文章で、their lack of English laguage ability を 時たまthe lack of their English language ability といっております。文章を書く場合は後者がただしいのだと思いますが、 話す場合は前者で良いのでしょうか。 教えて下さい。英文文頭のThis は前の文章のことです。

• what was in them to say

下記の英文中にあるwhat was in them to sayについてお教えください。 To many of these people, articulate as they were, the great loss was the loss of language-that they could not say what was in them to say. 第二次大戦の直前、ドイツからアメリカに亡命してきたジャーナリストのユダヤ人Oskarに英会話を教えた青年の回想の形式で語られています。出典はBernard Malamudの"The German Refugee"です。 この英文の最後にあるwhat was in them to sayですが、このto sayはいわばwhatにかかった不定詞の形容詞用法とみなしてもよろしいのでしょうか。the things to sayのように。 お手数かけますが、ご教授をよろしくお願いいたします。

• 構文分析よろしくお願い致しますm(_ _)m

So intimate is the relation between a language and the people who speak it that the two can scarcely be thought of apart. A language lives only so long as there are peo- ple who speak it and use it as their native tongue, and its greatness is only that given to it by these people. A language is important because the people who speak it are important-politically, economically, commercialally, social-ly, culturally. English, French, and German are great and important languages ​​because they are the languages ​​of great and important peoples; for this reason they are widely studied outside the country of their use. -A. C. BAUGH, A History of the English Language 構文分析よろしくお願い致します。 できるだけ丁寧に解説して頂けると嬉しいです🙇‍♀️

• make it on their own

I dated "Carol" for more than eight years. I loved her and wanted to marry her. The problem was her children (now aged 37 and 42), who have not grown up to be mature adults. Carol knew from the beginning that if we ever broke up, it would be because of them. I spent every weekend with her. The kids had a tendency to go through my personal belongings when we were on a date and when we slept. I had to hide my checkbook, wallet, truck and house keys. Her kids still live there and put forth zero effort to make it on their own. make it on their ownは「自立する」でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• reflected back was

中国の地震の記事です。 Horrific videos from the disaster zone — the twisted bodies of children layered like fossils in the sediment of a pancaked concrete schoolhouse, the desperate decision to amputate the legs of a dying girl pinned in rubble — forced the Chinese people to look into the abyss. And reflected back was the image of a more compassionate and stronger nation than many had perhaps expected, a place where tens of millions of Chinese lined up for hours to make sure their donations of cash or food or clothes were accepted and where tens of thousands of others like the Wus left their jobs and families and rushed to aid their compatriots. 二行目の最後のほうの reflected back wasというのがわかりません。 reflectedというのはテレビに映っている場合の”映っている”ではなくて、反映しているのだと思いますが・・・ そして backは 背景に映っているの ”背景”ではないと思うのですが・・・ おそらく、そのビデオを通して backが反映されてるというかんじの文章なのだとは思いますが、あてはまる日本語がわかりません。 宜しくお願いします(´_`。)

• when it was being opened

NHK実践ビジネス英語2017年8月号Lesson 9のSalmansさんの台詞で、They finally moved to Kansas when it was being opened by the railroad in the 1880s.があります。Salmansさんの祖先が1880年代にカンザス州に移住したという話ですが、この “it was being opened”は、いわゆる受動態の進行形でしょうか?進行形ならば、今まさに槌音高く建設の進むカンザス州とも読めますが、鉄道の開通により開発され都会(?)になったカンザス州に移住したと読めば、beingが動名詞とも取れる気がします。接続詞whenの従属節が進行形を伴うのもあるのかな?と思っています。100年以上前のことですから、どちらでも大差はないのですが、気になっています。教えていただけるとすっきりできるのですが。 Salmans: All four of my grandparents lived in the same small town I did when I was growing up. The Salmans side of my family originally settled in Virginia after arriving on their shores from England in the late 1600s. My branch of the family moved to Illinois, and then they traveled further west to Iowa. They finally moved to Kansas when it was being opened by the railroad in the 1880s. @ 2017年8月L9(3) ※OKWAVEより補足:テーマ「実践ビジネス英語」から投稿された質問です。

• there wasの後は名詞ですが、、、

When the news that gold had been discovered spread around the world, there was no stopping the flood of prospectors, who came to seek their fortunes. という文章がありました。 分からないのはno stopping the flood of prospectorsのところです。恐らくstoppingは名詞だろうと思っています。するとそのあとのthe flood of prospectorsは何かな?と思ってしまうのです。 どのような解釈をしたらよいか教えてください。

• itが指すものは?

The aristocracies ritualized their time: there was a season to go hunting, a season to socialize, etc. The masses are more likely to replace an unchanging ritual by fashion which it will be in the economic interest of certain people to change as often as possibl. 長くてすみません。 which it will beのitはto以下を指すのでしょうか。

• 英文を日本語に訳してください。よろしくお願いします

・Japan is steadily moving towards becoming a multilingual society. ・Japan does not have that many doctors who can speak a foreign language to treat foreigners. ・Pang was satisfied with Doctor Sakamoto because she was used to his American style of treatment. ・The multilingual medical interpreting software is now widely used at hospitals throughout Japan. ・In general, Japanese doctors should improve their communication skills with their patients.

• 和訳お願いします

Politicians have routinely striven to speak the language of Shakespeare and Milton as ungrammatically as possible in order to avoid offending their audiences by appearing to have gone to school. Thus, Adlai Stevenson, who incautiously allowed intelligence and learning and wit to peep out of his speeches, found the American people flocking to a Presidential candidate who invented a version of the English language that was all his own and that has been the despair of satirists ever since. George Wallace, in his speeches, had, as one of his prime targets, the "pointy-headed professor and with what a roar of approval that phrase was always greeted by his pointy headed audience.