• ベストアンサー
  • 困ってます

reflected back was

中国の地震の記事です。 Horrific videos from the disaster zone — the twisted bodies of children layered like fossils in the sediment of a pancaked concrete schoolhouse, the desperate decision to amputate the legs of a dying girl pinned in rubble — forced the Chinese people to look into the abyss. And reflected back was the image of a more compassionate and stronger nation than many had perhaps expected, a place where tens of millions of Chinese lined up for hours to make sure their donations of cash or food or clothes were accepted and where tens of thousands of others like the Wus left their jobs and families and rushed to aid their compatriots. 二行目の最後のほうの reflected back wasというのがわかりません。 reflectedというのはテレビに映っている場合の”映っている”ではなくて、反映しているのだと思いますが・・・ そして backは 背景に映っているの ”背景”ではないと思うのですが・・・ おそらく、そのビデオを通して backが反映されてるというかんじの文章なのだとは思いますが、あてはまる日本語がわかりません。 宜しくお願いします(´_`。)

共感・応援の気持ちを伝えよう!

• 回答数2
  • 閲覧数134
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • 回答No.2

こんにちは。先日は丁寧なお礼をありがとうございました。 ニュースに関心がおありのようですね。わたしもです。 ご質問についてですが、backには「(事の)真相」という意味もあり、この場合、そいういう意味です。 で、問題の箇所の辺りは、「映し出された(事の)真相は、(恐らく多くの人が思っていたより、もっと温情的でたくましい国家の姿だったのです)」というようになります。 最初の部分で、目に見える地震の惨状を伝え、その後で、その表面上見えるものと対照的な素晴らしい部分、別のい方をすると、その惨状の裏側(back)に見える、中国の素晴らしい部分を伝えているわけです。 ここで、backという言葉が使われたのは最適と言えます。ご存知のようにbackの元々の意味は「背後」「裏面」「奥(の)」などの意味があります。そこから、「(事の)真相」「(心の)底」というような意味も持つようになったと考えられます。 ご理解のお役に立てば幸いです。

共感・感謝の気持ちを伝えよう!

質問者からのお礼

こんばんわー いつもお世話になります。 BACK  裏側 裏にあるもの ことの真相 とくるわけですね。 いつも、まさしくこれが知りたかったという答えをいただけるので すっきりします。 ありがとうございました またよろしくお願いします(´_`。)

関連するQ&A

• I was on my back ...

以下の文は熊に襲われた人が襲われた状況を説明しています。 I was on my backとはどのような状況なのでしょうか解説お願いいたします。 I was on my back from when he pulled the gun out of my hands, and I put my feet up in the air as he lunged down forward at me. よろしくお願いいたします。

• It was 【to】 their ...

移民の大量流入にもかかわらず、アメリカが単一言語である理由を述べた後 こう続きます。 People who didn't blend in risked being made to feel like outsiders. The pattern for children of immigrants was to become so "American" that they were unable to speak their parents' languages. It was 【to】 their advantage socially and economically to be able to speak the language used throughout the country. This led to the continuation of a single, nationwide language. 【to】について教えてください。 これは『結果』を表すtoと考え、次のように訳してみたんですが、この訳でいいでしょうか? 『国中で使われている言語を話すことができることは、結局、社会的・経済的に彼らに有利になった。』 よろしくお願いします。

• この”was”は、何ですか? 

下記の文の”was”は、文法的な役割は、”強調”ですか?強調のdoやdoseはよく見かけますが・・・・ I)In among these craters "was" the largest number of oenguins I had ever seen moving to and fro like a sea ofvery samall headwaiters. それから、もう一つお願いいたします。 下記の文をうまく訳すことができません。 特にreceive をうまく訳すことができません。 II)Most of the difference depends on the enviroment: the encouragement one receives or the amount of education one receives.

その他の回答 (1)

• 回答No.1

And reflected back was the image of a more compassionate and stronger nation than many had perhaps expected,倒置あり ↓倒置戻し And 主部the image of a more compassionate and stronger nation than many had perhaps expected 述部was reflected back, 多くの者がおそらく予想していたものより情け深く力強い国家のイメージが映し出された 倒置↓ And reflected back was the image of A more compassionate and stronger NATION, A PLACE WHERE tens of millions of Chinese lined up for hours to make sure their donations of cash or food or clothes were accepted AND WHERE tens of thousands of others like the Wus left their jobs and families and rushed to aid their compatriots. a more compassionate and stronger nationの同格的説明として a place where tens of millions of Chinese lined up for hours to make sure their donations of cash or food or clothes were accepted と and where tens of thousands of others like the Wus left their jobs and families and rushed to aid their compatriots.が挙げられている。 倒置することで、a nation, a place where~,and where~のように列挙しやすくなる。

共感・感謝の気持ちを伝えよう!

質問者からのお礼

丁寧な説明 ありがとうございました またよろしくお願いします(´_`。)

関連するQ&A

• reflectで混乱

It’s interesting that Dr. Hathaway’s report reflects many of the qualities associated with Vita-Lite fluorescent lamps reported by early researchers and on a continuing basis by purchasers of the product. という文の Dr. Hathaway’s report reflects many of the qualities の部分について(qualitiesの修飾部分associated~はひとまず置きます)。 reflectは他動詞なので「ハザウェイ博士のレポートは品質を反映する」 となるかと思いますが、日本語的にピンと来ません。 レポートの内容が製品の品質に反映する、というならわかるのですが。 品質を反映するとは、どういう状況でしょうか? それとも訳が間違っていますか?宜しくお願いします。

• 次のbackの意味とは?

They'll have to dig through 6,200 miles of sewers enough to reach to San Francisco and back 32 million miles of utility lines plus the existing maze of subway tunnels and the 3-story-deep basements of thousands of skyscrapers. <自分の暫定的な訳> サンフランシスコまでの距離に十分に及ぶ6200マイルの下水道、 そして離れたところに32マイルのガス水道管、 そのうえ、今現存する地下鉄トンネルの迷宮と数百の摩天楼の深さ3階建ての基底部や地階を 通り抜けて掘る必要がある。 上記の英文のand back 32 million miles of utility lines の部分におけるbackは、先述の下水道から場所的に離れて、という意味の「離れて」で正しいでしょうか? このbackの文法的な意味を教えて下さい。 快く御回答頂けます方は、 お力添え、何卒よろしくお願い致します。

• heap on

"In the central granary of the government, new grain was heaped on top of the old until the building was full and the grain overflowed and piled up outside, where it spoiled and became unfit to eat." heap onってなんですか?

• monitors tone to reflect the messag

monitors tone to reflect the message being communicated の訳。 会社のExperienced levelの社員の行動目標に、コミュニケーションの際の行動として、 Experienced; Monitors tone and demeanor to reflect the message being communicated. というのがあります。 「話の内容を反映するために相手の話し方や声のトーンを観察する」 ではよく意味がわからないのでどこか取り間違っている気がするのですが、正しい訳を教えてください。 なお、書かれているのはこの一文で前後の文脈はありません。よろしくお願いします。

• 和訳してください

【Peaple came to question whether liberal democracy was in fact a general goal of all mankind,and whether their earlier confidence that it was did not reflect a narrow ethnocentrism on their part.】 読みにくく、しかも長めの文章ですが、和訳して下さい。

• 英語の訳の一文 いまいち上手に訳せない

訳おねがいいたします。 my heart was full of joy to think of the fine surprise they would have when i revealed to them that i was their son, and that i had come back home laden with gold and welth.    以上です。大体は理解できるのですが上手に訳せません。お願いします。

• on the one's back の意味

on the boy's back の部分がうまく訳せません。 熟語、慣用句的な表現だと思うのですが、 意味を教えて下さい。お願いします。 ・・・・ ある大学教授は、10代の息子と仲が悪かった。 This man's entire life was essentially academic, and he felt his son was totally wasting his life by working with his hands instead of working to develop his mind. As a result, he was almost constantly on the boy's back,... 結果として彼はほとんど絶えず 『その少年の{背中・後ろ}にいた』

• ( )にはどの語が入りますか?

( )にはどの語が入りますか? (1)reminded women of the beauty and luxury of fashion. In 1947,(2) designed a dress called the "New Look," which started a (3) in women's fashion and established (4) as the center of the fashion world. The 1960s was a period of (5) . The fashion in the age reflected the trend of this period. The Beatles and Twiggy were the symbols of this time. Their fashions reflected young people's (6) against (7). revolution/ unclear/change and rebelion/ Paris birthplaces/diverse/popular fashion/hippie fashion the status of women/ Dior's "New Looks"/unisex traditional ways/ rebellion/success/establishment Christian Dior のいずれかの語が入るのですが・・・

• drop back

Q. Wake etiquette: Due to unfortunate circumstances, I’ve recently attended a number of wakes. Am I obligated to kneel before the casket and say a brief prayer? I’d been taught that this was the “polite” thing to do, but it feels disingenuous now that I no longer subscribe to any religion. I’m sure the grievers don’t notice or care either way, but should I continue to fake pray? A: You can kneel in front of a casket and briefly acknowledge the sadness of someone’s death or think about your grieving friend’s needs&#8212;you are not “fake praying,” you are having a genuine moment of reflection. I don’t think you’re doing anything you need to change. If you would prefer not to kneel, you can simply stand for a moment or two of silence, then drop back. drop backは「元いた位置に戻る」ということでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• thatとandについて

同時に二つの質問をさせていただきたいと思います。 一つ目はthatについてです。 高校の教科書を読んでいて次の文章が出てきました。 Every October, hundreds of thousands of albatrosses returned to the island to breed. There were so many of them "that" at a distance they looked like fallen snow. このような文章なのですが、この文章の"that"の意味が分からず、後半の文章が訳せません。 二つ目はandについてです。 こちらも文章を例に挙げます。 I "was" surrounded by nature and "was" always fascinated by birds and fish. こちらの文章は I "was" surrounded by nature and I"was" always fascinated by birds and fish. ということだと思っていて、納得がいきます。 もう一つの文章を例に挙げます。 Japanese researcher like you "to" study and protect it. こちらの文章ではなぜ Japanese researcher like you "to" study and "to" protect it. にはならないのでしょうか。 もし省略するが普通なのであればなぜ最初のwasが省略されないのでしょうか? すごい初心者な質問かもしれませんが、教えてください