• ベストアンサー

reflected back was

中国の地震の記事です。 Horrific videos from the disaster zone — the twisted bodies of children layered like fossils in the sediment of a pancaked concrete schoolhouse, the desperate decision to amputate the legs of a dying girl pinned in rubble — forced the Chinese people to look into the abyss. And reflected back was the image of a more compassionate and stronger nation than many had perhaps expected, a place where tens of millions of Chinese lined up for hours to make sure their donations of cash or food or clothes were accepted and where tens of thousands of others like the Wus left their jobs and families and rushed to aid their compatriots. 二行目の最後のほうの reflected back wasというのがわかりません。 reflectedというのはテレビに映っている場合の”映っている”ではなくて、反映しているのだと思いますが・・・ そして backは 背景に映っているの ”背景”ではないと思うのですが・・・ おそらく、そのビデオを通して backが反映されてるというかんじの文章なのだとは思いますが、あてはまる日本語がわかりません。 宜しくお願いします(´_`。)

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • keepfaith
  • ベストアンサー率49% (77/155)
回答No.2

こんにちは。先日は丁寧なお礼をありがとうございました。 ニュースに関心がおありのようですね。わたしもです。 ご質問についてですが、backには「(事の)真相」という意味もあり、この場合、そいういう意味です。 で、問題の箇所の辺りは、「映し出された(事の)真相は、(恐らく多くの人が思っていたより、もっと温情的でたくましい国家の姿だったのです)」というようになります。 最初の部分で、目に見える地震の惨状を伝え、その後で、その表面上見えるものと対照的な素晴らしい部分、別のい方をすると、その惨状の裏側(back)に見える、中国の素晴らしい部分を伝えているわけです。 ここで、backという言葉が使われたのは最適と言えます。ご存知のようにbackの元々の意味は「背後」「裏面」「奥(の)」などの意味があります。そこから、「(事の)真相」「(心の)底」というような意味も持つようになったと考えられます。 ご理解のお役に立てば幸いです。

kochouran6
質問者

お礼

こんばんわー いつもお世話になります。 BACK  裏側 裏にあるもの ことの真相 とくるわけですね。 いつも、まさしくこれが知りたかったという答えをいただけるので すっきりします。 ありがとうございました またよろしくお願いします(´_`。)

その他の回答 (1)

• NooGarde
  • ベストアンサー率28% (75/260)
回答No.1

And reflected back was the image of a more compassionate and stronger nation than many had perhaps expected,倒置あり ↓倒置戻し And 主部the image of a more compassionate and stronger nation than many had perhaps expected 述部was reflected back, 多くの者がおそらく予想していたものより情け深く力強い国家のイメージが映し出された 倒置↓ And reflected back was the image of A more compassionate and stronger NATION, A PLACE WHERE tens of millions of Chinese lined up for hours to make sure their donations of cash or food or clothes were accepted AND WHERE tens of thousands of others like the Wus left their jobs and families and rushed to aid their compatriots. a more compassionate and stronger nationの同格的説明として a place where tens of millions of Chinese lined up for hours to make sure their donations of cash or food or clothes were accepted と and where tens of thousands of others like the Wus left their jobs and families and rushed to aid their compatriots.が挙げられている。 倒置することで、a nation, a place where~,and where~のように列挙しやすくなる。

kochouran6
質問者

お礼

丁寧な説明 ありがとうございました またよろしくお願いします(´_`。)

関連するQ&A

• 文章解釈 Lincoln was…

添付ファイル文章にある Lincoln was all the things he was—compassionate, deliberate, fair, open-minded, and purposeful-while being a politician. He was what we admire in a profession we believe to be filled exclusively with the opposite of that type of person. に関する質問です。 1. Lincoln was all the things he was—compassionate, deliberate, fair, open-minded, and purposeful-while being a politician. 「リンカーンは、政治家でありながら、情け深くて、思慮深く、公正で、広量であり、また、目的意識ある人の全ての性質を備えていた。」 all the thingsとなっている部分を理解するのが難しいです。 all the things he was とあるので、 he was all the thingsとなる、 all the thingsはーの後にくる形容詞群によって説明されている人の性質を表すので、things という名詞が使われている、 と理解して合っているのか自信がないです。 解説宜しくお願いします。 2. He was *what we admire in a profession we believe to be filled exclusively with the opposite of that type of person.をちゃんと理解できているか自信がないので、見ていただきです。 「彼は、我々がそうしたタイプの人間とは反対の人だけで、もっぱら満たされたと考えていた職業において称賛していた??でした。」 whoでなく、*whatが使われているので、 『人でした。』のようにできないです。 どのようにwhatを理解すれば良いですか? 解説宜しくお願いします。

• It was 【to】 their ...

移民の大量流入にもかかわらず、アメリカが単一言語である理由を述べた後 こう続きます。 People who didn't blend in risked being made to feel like outsiders. The pattern for children of immigrants was to become so "American" that they were unable to speak their parents' languages. It was 【to】 their advantage socially and economically to be able to speak the language used throughout the country. This led to the continuation of a single, nationwide language. 【to】について教えてください。 これは『結果』を表すtoと考え、次のように訳してみたんですが、この訳でいいでしょうか? 『国中で使われている言語を話すことができることは、結局、社会的・経済的に彼らに有利になった。』 よろしくお願いします。

• この”was”は、何ですか? 

下記の文の”was”は、文法的な役割は、”強調”ですか?強調のdoやdoseはよく見かけますが・・・・ I)In among these craters "was" the largest number of oenguins I had ever seen moving to and fro like a sea ofvery samall headwaiters. それから、もう一つお願いいたします。 下記の文をうまく訳すことができません。 特にreceive をうまく訳すことができません。 II)Most of the difference depends on the enviroment: the encouragement one receives or the amount of education one receives.

• where(接続詞として)の使い方・・・

インターネットの記事で見かけた英文なのですが・・・。 In a Chinese legend, there was a heroic man, Ishiganto, who stood up to evil, and afterwards people wrote his name in stone where their houses were located at intersections to ward off any bad spirits. この文章のなかの、whereの使い方って、文法的に正しいのでしょうか?正しいとしたら、where以下は何を修飾しているのでしょうか? よろしくお願いします。

• IN WHAT WAS

Still, Dubai's need to turn to its oil-rich neighbor has led to a crisis of confidence in what was, until recently, a swaggering society, and there's now plenty of fear that all those dreams and plans will end in tears. すみません教えてください(´_`。)  けれどもドバイがオイル富豪の隣人に頼る必要性があるという事実は信用危機を引き起こした, IN WHAT WAS, 最近まで・・・・・ この IN WHAT WASが はっきりわかりません。 どなたか教えてください(´_`。)

• I was on my back ...

以下の文は熊に襲われた人が襲われた状況を説明しています。 I was on my backとはどのような状況なのでしょうか解説お願いいたします。 I was on my back from when he pulled the gun out of my hands, and I put my feet up in the air as he lunged down forward at me. よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英文解釈

下記の英文をどう解釈すれば良いのかわかりません。わかる方がいらっしゃいましたら解説お願いします。 "What he attempted to do is, he analyzed where Russia was going and attempted to ride a horse - instead, he was on the back of a bucking elephant.” --補足-- 【前後の分】 For the next six years, Gorbachev embarked on a series of domestic reforms that radically changed the Soviet Union. Former U.S. Ambassador to Moscow Thomas Pickering said, "What he attempted to do is, he analyzed where Russia was going and attempted to ride a horse - instead, he was on the back of a bucking elephant.” Gorbachev’s reforms touched all segments of society. It included freeing press restrictions and releasing political prisoners and dissidents from jail and internal exile. 【出展】 VOA:http://www.voanews.com/english/news/europe/Gorbachevs-Domestic-Reforms-Led-to-End-of-Soviet-Union-135190548.html

• 日本語訳を教えてください(かなり長文です)(5)

Why Chinese Mothers Are Superiorという記事の日本語訳教えてください。お願いします。 (And it's true that Chinese mothers get in the trenches, putting in long grueling hours personally tutoring, training, interrogating and spying on their kids.) Anyway, the understanding is that Chinese children must spend their lives repaying their parents by obeying them and making them proud. By contrast, I don't think most Westerners have the same view of children being permanently indebted to their parents. My husband, Jed, actually has the opposite view. "Children don't choose their parents," he once said to me. "They don't even choose to be born. It's parents who foist life on their kids, so it's the parents' responsibility to provide for them. Kids don't owe their parents anything. Their duty will be to their own kids." This strikes me as a terrible deal for the Western parent. Third, Chinese parents believe that they know what is best for their children and therefore override all of their children's own desires and preferences. That's why Chinese daughters can't have boyfriends in high school and why Chinese kids can't go to sleepaway camp. It's also why no Chinese kid would ever dare say to their mother, "I got a part in the school play! I'm Villager Number Six. I'll have to stay after school for rehearsal every day from 3:00 to 7:00, and I'll also need a ride on weekends." God help any Chinese kid who tried that one. Don't get me wrong: It's not that Chinese parents don't care about their children. Just the opposite. They would give up anything for their children. It's just an entirely different parenting model. Here's a story in favor of coercion, Chinese-style. Lulu was about 7, still playing two instruments, and working on a piano piece called "The Little White Donkey" by the French composer Jacques Ibert.

• 日本語訳を!!

お願いします (14) Rome borrowed the Olympian gods from Greece, Where they were thought to live on Mount Olympus. Eventually, the Romans had gods for almost everything. They prayed to Juno for help with the birth of a baby, to Mars for help in battle, to Jupiter before planting their crops, and to Ceres for a good yield of grain. (15) Roman religion, government, and family were all closely connected. Each reflected the other. Jupiter ruled over the gods as father and king─just as kinds and consuls ruled the Roman state and fathers ruled their families.

• 大至急、翻訳をお願い致します。

“He is the only person I’ve ever seen change their body type. He was chunky, or he was like a linebacker or a quarterback or football player, and he starved himself to the point where he was like a fashion model all of a sudden, he was all just skin and bones. He kept it his for whole life, I was like, how did you change your body? He did it, and I don’t know how he did it.” “I don’t think he was taking any diet aids, he wasn’t into that speed stuff, he was into the other stuff.”