Linking Atoms, Gravity, and the Origin of the Universe

このQ&Aのポイント
  • He tries to link the idea of atoms and gravity to his philosophy of the origin of the universe.
  • The question is divided into two parts: the idea of atoms and gravity, and his philosophy of the origin of the universe.
  • Understanding a long monologue can be challenging, but a key tip is to focus on the keyword 'to' in this case.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

He tries to link the idea of.......

He tries to link the idea of.................. NHKラジオ英会話講座より He tries to link the idea of atoms and graveity to his philosophy of the origin of the universe. 彼は原子と重力の考え方を宇宙の起源に関する彼の哲学と結び付けようとしている。 質問:  link the idea...以下でお尋ねします。 (1)toを境に、大きく2つの句に別けられますか? the idea of atoms and graveity /to his philosophy of the origin of the universe. (2)3つのof(~の)が出てきます。「所属のof」ですか? (3)長文のモノローグはなかなか耳で捕らえるのが難しいのですが、大きな塊で捕らえてゆくコツは無いでしょうか? 今回はtoがキーワードのような気がします。 参考ご意見でもかまいませんので、いただけると幸いです。 以上

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

「参考意見」でもよろしいということなら・・・ (1) 名詞句ということでしょうか。たしかに、link A to B という構造が見えます。 (2) the idea of atoms, his philosophy of the origin, the origin of the universe のどれもが、A of B という形で「B についての A」というふうに訳せるものだと思えます。 私の辞書では「主題・範囲」というカテゴリーで括ってありました。a book of science(科学についての本)と同類のものであると思います。 (3) リスニングは私も苦手とするところです。ただ、キーワードは最低でも聞き取ろうと私なりの努力はします。この文でいえば link, atoms, gravity, origin of the universe などでしょうか(そんなこといったら、全部になってしまいそうですけども)。

tommy0313
質問者

お礼

いつもご回答いただき感謝いたしています。お陰様でとても勉強になりました。今回は[link A to B]のパターンの確認と、ABそれぞれが長い名詞句であったことが難しく感じられたようです。ご説明で理解できました。リスニングで文頭から理解してゆくには日々の練習が必要なようです。楽しみながら続けて行きます。有難うございました。まずは御礼まで。

関連するQ&A

• (261)To her he spoke ……この英文はどう訳せばよいでしょうか

QA261 To her he spoke disdainfully: 'Miserable thing, why do you cry out? One far stronger than you now holds you fast, and you must go wherever I take you, songstress as you are. And if I please I will make my meal of you, or let you go. He is a fool who tries to withstand the stronger, for he does not get the mastery and suffers pain besides his shame.' 試し訳 彼女(サヨナキドリ)に対して、彼(タカ)は軽蔑して言った。   どうしてお前は泣きわめくのだ。 お前より遥かに強い者がお前をしっかり捕まえているのだ。 お前は女の歌い手だけれども as songstress you are (お前は)俺が連れて行く所なら、どこへでも行かねばならぬ、 そして、もし、俺が気の済むようにするとすれば、;And if I please 俺はお前を料理するか、   I will make my meal of you    あるいは、お前を逃す(二つに一つだ)。  or let you go より強い者に逆らおうとする者は馬鹿ものだ。He is a fool who tries to withstand the stronger だって、そいつは勝利を得ていないし、 恥をかいた上に、苦悩に悩まされるからだ。and suffers pain besides his shame 質問 (1)songstress as you areについて   asの解釈には、原因・理由のas、及び、譲歩のas;だけれども ―がある    この場合、<女の歌い手>だけれども、無理やり連れてゆくと思われる。 (2)And if I please;もし、気の済むようにするとすれば (3)I will make my meal of youについて    俺はお前から成る(材料)俺の食事を作る。     →俺は、お前を料理する(だろう)。 「食っちまう」でどうか。 (4)I will make my meal of you, or let you go. 「あるいは、お前を逃すかだ」でもよいが、「……二つに一つだ」と訳せるで     しょうか。    (5)He is a fool who tries to withstand the strongerについて     タカの話は終わっていないから、Heはタカのことではない。    He=a fool=who tries to……と思われる。    「彼は強者に逆らおうとする馬鹿ものだ」→「逆らおうとする者は馬鹿者だ」 (6)and suffers pain besides his shameについて   「恥をかいた上に、痛みに苦しむ」; suffer(V)+pain(N)だから、    主語;He(a fool)が略されている。 以上のような解釈で正しいでしょうか。

• ~するために to, for, of 違い

~するために to, for, of 違い 「~するために」と言う日本語のニュアンスがあると私は全部to不定詞で考えてしまいますが、英文を見ると色々言い方があるみたいです。違いはなんですか?次の英文の括弧内が私の疑問です。 1、One day, his friend, Mika, said that using comics, TV and other things was also useful for studying. (to studyとの違いはなんでしょうか?) 2、He found that there were other interesting ways to study Japanese.(of studying Japaneseやfor~~との違い) 3、In class, he often tells his students to find their own ways to study Japanese.( of studying, for studyingとの違い) 括弧内の英語は私が考えたものなので、正しくないかもしれません。 違いを教えてください。

• he enjoys this parの訳し方

Mark is a sales manager at his company, and he often has to take his clients out for dinner. He is a very friendly person by nature, so he enjoys this part of his job. という文なのですが、he enjoys this part of his job. の部分のいい訳はないでしょうか? 仕事のこの部分を楽しむではあまりにも直訳なような気がします。「部分」と「楽しむ」がなんとかできればと。

• he be について

we were surprised that his will stipulated he be cremated and scattered instead of interred at the family plot. で、何で "he"となっているのでしょうか? すませんが、よろしくお願いします。

• what he’s getting up to

Dear Kiki, Do you have any tips on living with a musician? My husband is so moody and sullen when he’s working on music, storming around in his studio, and then half of his songs are about our relationship. We’ve been together forever but this part never seems to get any easier. Thoughts? — Song Wife Dear Song Wife, Well, Song Wife, at least you know what he’s getting up to! what he’s getting up toはどのような意味でしょうか?gettingがなくても同意でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 私の英作文を見ていただけませんか?

英作文を作らなければならず、考えたのですが自信がないので添削していただけないでしょうか? He was curious and explored the mysteries of the universe and black holes. For him, the black hole was a subject of study for many years. His name was spread around the world by the theory of specificity.He continued to announce new discoveries in physics until his death.He contributed greatly to science. He won numerous prestigious awards.

• defer to

I have my own therapist to work on some trauma and anxiety, and I am making progress. But he refuses to see anything wrong with his behaviors and has an "If you don't like it, leave" attitude. Our therapist was less than helpful. She tended to defer to his feelings more, trying to get me to understand his points of view. https://www.arcamax.com/healthandspirit/lifeadvice/carolynhax/s-2001725 defer to his feelings his feelingsの訳は「彼の気持ちに任せる」でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• off ofに関して

こんにちは、 今回は、Louis Sacharの『HOLES』からです。 chapter38の中の以下の文に関してです。 "He wiped the dirt off of it and realized it was an onion." において"off of"となる理由はなんでしょうか?(以前にもoff ofに関して質問させていただきましたが・・・) 「wipe」を辞書でひいてみると"を[~から]ふき取る [from, off]" とあるので、 "wiped the dirt off it" で「それから泥をふき取った」で意味が通用し、"of"は必要ないのではないかと思うのですが、いかがでしょうか? 参考までに、上記の文の直前の分を以下に示します。 "As he continued to widen his hole, his hand came across a smooth, round object. It was tooo smooth and to round to be a rock." です。よろしくお願いします。

• psych himself out of

I know he feels like shit for letting this happen, and when he’s depressed he loses his sense of ambition/faith in himself and psychs himself out of even applying for jobs, but he won’t even take half an hour to write down a few things he would just like to have in a new or additional job. psychs himself out of とはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• of

英語やり直し組です "this new cycle of Iraq films that are coming out, which really are again mostly about the home front, seem to really portray a very skeptical home front populous, soldiers returning with criticism of the way the war was handled, attempts of covering up crimes and so on." (1)attempts of coveringのofについて attemptはat doingで「~する試み」だったと思うのですがofでいいのでしょうか? ofには強い繋がりが感じられるので大丈夫のような気もしますが、もしいいのならforなどでもいいのでしょうか?またat donigとの違いは何なのでしょうか? He tries to convince her not to go see what's left of him (2)of himのofについて これも強い繋がりでofなのかもしれませんが、私にはaboutやonが真っ先に浮かびofを使っていいのかどうかがよくわかりません。。。 こちらもonとofの違いがいまいちわかりません。。違いは何なのでしょうか? お願いします。。