President Roosevelt's Hunting Adventure and the Birth of the Teddy Bear

このQ&Aのポイント
  • President Theodore Roosevelt, also known as Teddy, went on a bear hunting trip in Mississippi in 1902. However, the hunt was unsuccessful as he did not manage to kill a bear. Instead, a friend brought a frightened bear cub as a joke. Mr. Roosevelt refused to shoot the cub, stating that he couldn't face his own children if he did so.
  • Upon returning to Washington, Mr. Roosevelt shared the incident with his friend, a cartoonist named Clifford K. Berryman, who turned it into a popular cartoon. The cartoon depicted Mr. Roosevelt declining to shoot the little bear. This cartoon quickly gained popularity and led to the widespread use of the term 'teddy bear'. Toy makers started producing stuffed bears in large quantities, and the teddy bear became an iconic part of American culture.
  • President Roosevelt's hunting adventure and the birth of the teddy bear are significant events in American history. The incident highlights Mr. Roosevelt's compassion and love for animals, as well as his influence on popular culture. The term 'teddy bear' is still widely used today to refer to stuffed bears, and the toy continues to be beloved by children and adults alike.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

長文の訳お願いします

President Theodore Roosevelt, or "Teddy," as he was familiarly called, greatly enjoyed hunting. In the autumn of 1902 he took a few days off to go bear hunting in Mississippi. The hunt was a failure, for not a bear did the President kill. On the last day of the hunt, one of his friends brought frightened bear cub into camp as a joke and told the noted hunter he might shoot it. Mr. Roosevelt took one look at the miserable little creature, and said "Take it away. I draw the line. If I shot that little fellow, I couldn't look my own boys in the face again." When the President got back to Washington he told his good friend, Clifford K. Berryman, a cartoonist on the Washington Post, about the joke his friend had played on him. The cartoonist was so amused by the incident that he drew a cartoon of it showing Mr. Roosevelt refusing to shoot the little bear. This cartoon swept the country, and soon everyone was talking about the Teddy bear. Toy makers at once began to turn out little stuffed bears by the tens of thousands, and teddybear, both the term and the thing it denotes, became well established in American life.

noname#200920
noname#200920
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9705/12071)
回答No.2

以下のとおりお答えします。 セオドア・ルーズベルト大統領、あるいは親しみを持って呼ばれた「テディー」は、狩猟を大いに楽しんでいました。1902年の秋に、彼はミシシッピで熊狩りをするために数日の休暇を取りました。大統領は1匹の熊も獲れず、狩猟は失敗でした。狩猟の最後の日に、彼の友人の1人が冗談(半分)で、怯えた熊の赤ちゃんをキャンプへ連れてきて、それを撃ってもよい、と高名な猟師(大統領)に伝えました。 ルーズベルト氏は、哀れな小さい生き物を一瞥するなり、こう言いました。「それを連れ去ってください。私は線引き(区分)をしています。もしその小さな仲間を撃てば、私は再び子どもたちと顔をあわせることができないでしょう。」大統領がワシントンへ戻ったとき、親友のワシントンポスト紙の漫画家クリフォードK.ベリマンに、友人が彼に持ちかけた冗談について語りました。漫画家はその出来事をとても面白いと思ったので、それを素材に小さな熊を撃つのを拒絶するルーズベルト氏を示す漫画を描きました。 この漫画は国じゅうに流布し、すぐに誰もがテディーのベア(熊)について話していました。おもちゃのメーカーが、直ちに小さな詰め物をした熊を何千何万と生産し始めました。そして、言葉と実物の両方を表わす「テディーベア」が、アメリカ人の生活の中にしっかり根付いていきました。 以上、ご回答まで。(興味あるお話をありがとうございました。)

その他の回答 (1)

• Him-hymn
  • ベストアンサー率66% (3489/5257)
回答No.1

セオドア・ルーズベルト、あるいは親しみをこめて「テディー」と呼ばれている大統領は、1902年の秋、ミシシッピー(川)に熊狩りに行くため2~3日の休暇を取った。 狩りはだめだった。一頭の熊も大統領は殺さなかった。猟の最後の日、大統領の友人の一人が、怯える子グマをジョークのつもりでキャンプに連れてきて、名ハンターに撃ち殺してもかまわないと言った。 ルーズベルトはそのあわれな小さな生き物を一目見て言った「子グマをどこかへ連れていけ。おれはしっかりと一線を引く(大人の熊は撃っても子グマは撃たないという違いの線を引くーーというのが英語の意味)。もし、そんな小さなやつを撃ったら、もう二度と自分の子どもたち(男の子たち)の顔をまともに見ることができなくなるよ。」 ワシントンに大統領が戻ったとき、親友である、ワシントンポストの漫画家のClifford K. Berrymanに彼は友人の一人が彼をはめようとしたジョークについて話した。漫画家はこの出来事にとっても楽しかったので、彼はルーズベルト大統領が子グマを撃つのを拒否していることを表す漫画を描いた。 この漫画は国中で流行って、すぐにみんながテディーベアについてうわさし始めた。玩具会社はすぐに何万という単位で小さなぬいぐるみの熊を生産し始め、名称にしても、またそれを象徴するモノ(つまりぬいぐるみ)にしても、アメリカの生活に定着したのだった。 以上でいかがでしょうか?

関連するQ&A

• 長文の訳お願いします

Fortunately, we know who made this term and the occasion upon which he first used it. Noah Webster, the famous dictionary maker, coined demoralize. Although he spent fifty years of his life studying words and defining them in dictionaries, this is the only one he ever made. In 1794 he wrote about the French Revolution, and in this he emphasized the bad effects of war, especially civil war, on the morals of the people involved. He referred to these effects as demoralizing. Webster knew he had added a word to the language. He watched to see if others would adopt it, and was pleased to see that the term soon became popular. Before he died in 1843 he knew demoralize had become firmly established in the language. His word has had an unusual thing happen to it. As soon as people began to notice the term, some of them supposed Webster had borrowed it form the French word demoraliser, but in a dictionary he brought out in 1828 Webster explained he had made it by placing the common prefix de on moralize or moral. And this explanation he stuck to as long as he lived. Not long after his death, however, his word was explained as being derived from French, and some dictionaries still give this explanation of it. How does your dictionary say demoralize originated?

• 英文の訳が分かりません

英文の訳が分かりません But it had also been suggested by the book that he had just taken out of the drawer. it was a peculiarly beautiful book. its smooth creamy paper, a little yellowed by age, was of a kind that had not been manufactured for at least forty years past. He could guess, however, that the book was much older than that. He had seen it lying in the window of a frowzy little junk-shop in a slummy quarter of the town ( just what quarter he did not now remember ) and had been stricken immediately by an overwhelming desire to possess it. party members were supposed not to go into ordinary shops ( ‘dealing on the free market ’, it was called), but the rule was not strictly kept, because there were various things such as shoelaces and razor blades which it was impossible to get hold of in any other way. He had given a quick glance up and down the street and then had slipped inside and bought the book for two dollars fifty. At the time he was not conscious of wanting it for any particular purpose He had carried it guiltily home in his briefcase. Even with nothing written in it, it was a com-promising possession この英文を全訳してもらえるとありがたいです。

• 長文ですがどなたか翻訳をお願いします。

翻訳できる方がいらっしゃいましたらよろしくお願いします。 The school he went to was dictatorial and wealthy. It was an elaborate artistic building. Possibly one that was founded by a Princess or named after a Princess and bore her image, or arms, or monument and dedication in the building. It was not a school that will appear in the annals of history though, or ever be famous, nothing special. But it was well thought of in the local community and a school to aspire towards there. So I suppose you could say he had a good schooling in that respect. A school that may have had a traditional outlook. In his schooldays he gained physical health and strength. Though his in his early years he was not so strong. As a pupil he has a good memory, but was introspective, and held himself back not always doing the best he could have done in his lessons. His family would have helped him as much as they could at school, and to get a good education. but he may later have forgotten the help he owes to them. He would have had musical or singing ability; good at history, gambling. politics, figures and sports. Town planning and technical drawing. Once he adapted to the school he got well with the other children and way of life. At school he was an achiever, who adapted to change, and began to find a little of his adult charisma and ability to succeed, so was bound eventually to get on at whatever he chose to do. He also became proficient there in making excuses and telling lies to extricate himself from difficult or punishing situations.

• 訳の添削とわからない個所について 1

John Galsworthyという作家の『THE CHOICE』という物語の英文を訳しました。 添削と、わからない個所を教えてください。 *He was a Cornishman by birth, had been a plumber by trade, and was a cheerful, independent old fellow with ruddy cheeks, grey hair and beard, and little, bright, rather watery, grey eyes. 彼は生まれはコーンウォール人でした。彼の商売は配管工で、朗らかで、血色の好い頬、白髪とあごひげ、少し明るい、むしろ薄い灰色の目を持った自尊心の強い老翁でした。 *But he was a great sufferer from a variety of ailments. He had gout, and some trouble in his side, and feet that were like barometers in their susceptibility to weather. しかし彼は非常にいろいろな病気で苦しむ人でした。彼は痛風と若干の悩みと天気に感じやすいバロメーターのような足を持っていました。 (1)  some trouble in his sideのin his sideの個所の訳し方がよくわかりませんでした。 *Of all these matters he would speak to us in a very impersonal and uncomplaining way, diagnosing himself, as it were, for the benefit of his listeners. 彼は自分自身を診断して、まるで傾聴者のために、とても客観的で不満を言わない流儀で私たちにそれらの事柄について話したものでした。 (2) Of all these matters he would speak to us   ここは  he would speak of all these matters to usですか? よろしくお願い致します。

• 長文を日本語に訳してください!(1)

よくわからないので、よろしくお願いします。  When I was a very small boy I was made to learn by heart certain of the fables of La Fontaine, and the moral of each was carefully explained to me. Among those I learnt was The Ant and the Grasshopper, which is devised to bring home to the young the useful lesson that in an imperfect world industry is rewarded and giddiness punished. In this admirable fable (I apologize for telling something which everyone is politely, but inexactly, supposed to know) the ant spends a laborious summer gathering its winter store, which the grasshopper sits on a blade of grass singing to the sun. Winter comes and the ant is comfortably provided for, but the grasshopper has an empty larder : he goes to the ant and begs for a little food. Then the ant gives him her classic answer : 'What were you doing in the summer time?' 'Saving your presence, I sang, I sang all days, all night.' 'You sang. Why, then go and dance.' I could not help thinking of this fable when the other day I saw George Ramsay lunching by himself in a restaurant. I never saw anyone wear an expression of such deep gloom. He was staring into space. He looked as though the burden of the whole world sat on his shoulder. I was sorry for him : I suspected at once that his unfortunate brother had been causing trouble again. I went up to him and held out my hand. 'How are you?' I asked. 'I am not in hilarious spirits,' he answered. 'Is it Tom again?' He sighed. 'Yes, it is Tom again.' 'Why don't you chuck him?You've done everything in the world for him. You must know by now that he's quite useless.' I suppose every family has a black sheep. Tom had been a sore trial to his for twenty years. He had begun life decently enough: he went into business, married, had two children. The Ramsays were perfectly respectable people and there was every reason to suppose that Tom Ramsay would have a useful and honourable career. But one day, without warning, he announced that he didn't like work and that he wasn't suited for marriage. He wanted to enjoy himself. He would listen to no expostulations. He left his wife and his office. He had a little money and he spent two happy years in the various capitals of Europe. Rumours of his doings reached his relations from time to time and they were profoundly shocked. He certainly had a very good time. They shook their heads and asked what would happen when his money was spent. They soon found out: he borrowed. He was charming and unscrupulous. I have never met anyone to whom it was more difficult to refuse a loan. He made a steady income from his friends and he made friends easily. But he always said that the money you spent on necessities was boring; the money that was amusing to spend was the money you spent on luxuries. For this he depended on his brother George. He did not waste his charm on him. George was a serious man and insensible to such enticements. George was respectable. Once or twice he fell to Tom's promises of amendment and gave him considerable sums in order that he might make a fresh start. On these Tom bought a motor-car and some very nice jewellery. But when circumstances forced George to realize that his brother would never settle down and he washed his hands of him, Tom, without a qualm, began to blackmail him. It was not very nice for a respectable lawyer to find his brother shaking cocktails behind the bar of his favourite restaurant or to see him waiting on the boxseat of a taxi outside his club. Tom said that to serve in a bar or to drive a taxi was a perfectly decent occupation, but if George could oblige him with a couple of hundred pounds he didn't mind for the honour of the family giving it up. George paid.

• 訳をお願いします。

He would often think out loud while I was there . Of course, he could have been talking to a bed or a chair just as easily. But it was now a habit was slower than his. But that served to make his own ideas come faster and brighter. This was my part in our relationship. When I arrived at Baker Street, I found him sitting in his armchair. His face deep in thought . It was clear that he was considering some difficult problem. He waved his hand for me to sit down. It was nearly a half hour before he finally looked up. Then he quickly turned to me and smiled. He welcomed me back to what was once my home. he could have been talking to a bed or a chair just as easily. He welcomed me back to what was once my home.上の二行の文でまず、could have been talking 、 just as easily、訳し方がわかりません。また、back to 、what was once my home 訳し方がわかりません。宜しくお願いします。

• 長文ですがどなたか翻訳をお願いします。

父親の特徴が書いてあります。 日本語訳をしていただければ助かります! 宜しくお願いします。 His father was a healthy lusty person, with a lot of physical vitality. Big in stature and with a lot of muscular strength and energy. A man with a long face and hollow eyes, brown hair. There was a stiffness in his demeanor and body and a formality in his manner.. Well liked by women and apt to go wrong in life. A man of meager fortunes who was greedy and lazy with a moral decay when it came to money. A conceited hypocrite, with an authoritative manner. who tried to set his children a good example by the way he lived his life, and enforced his good manners and standards on them, which would have been ok, had he lived up to these in his own life. But he always open to receiving benefits from others, but giving non of his own. Wanting distinction in life. In his past there may have been a murder close to him. Or some kind of blood bath through which he passed. He had an untidy but comfortable room with open books. Liked mental pursuits and learning. May have dabbled in writing, been interested in astronomy, or astrology and history literature and antiquities. His children may have only seen the best side of him, or the hardest. He made them behave, but he could be generous and encouraging to them too. He had a good memory, and was superstitious. Neither the worst nor the best of fathers

• 日本語訳を! 8-(6)

お願いします。 (17) But just when he was sure he was a goner, Sinuhe was rescued by a tribe of nomads. The head of the tribe tells Sinuhe, "stay with me; I shall do you good." True to his word, the headsman made Sinuhe a wealthy and important man. But when Sinuhe grew old he began to miss his beloved homeland. Sinuhe wanted to be buried in Egypt. He wanted to build his tomb―his resting place for eternity―in his own country. Sinuhe writes to Senwosert, now king of Egypt; "Whatever God fated this flight―be gracious, and buring e home! Surely You will let me see the place where my heart still stays! What matters more than my being buried in the land where I was born?" King Senwosert answers, "Return to Egypt! And you will see the Residence where you grew up." (18) Back in Egypt, the king gave Sinuhe a home and food and fine linen. All his needs were taken care of: "A pyramid of stone was built for me...the masons who construct the pyramid measured out its foundations; the draughtsman drew in it; the overseer of sculptors carved in it." Sinuhe's tale, like Egypt itself, was in for a happy ending. Using "landing" as a metaphor for death―an appropriate word choice for a tale of journey―Sinuhe ends his story by saying, "I was in the favors of the king's giving, until the day of landing came." And now Egypt was in the favors of the king, too. It had traveled from monarchy to anarchy and back again.

• 日本語訳を!!

お願いします (6) On March 15, the day known in Rome as the Ides of March, Caesar went to a meeting of the Senate. As usual, he had no bodyguards. On the way, a soothsayer─a “truth teller” who can tall the future─stopped him with a warning: “Caesar, beware the Ides of March.” (The Romans called the middle day of the month the “Ides”; it usually fell on the 15th.) The dictator ignored him and walked on. But when he arrived at the meeting place, a group of senators─mostly old friends and men he had pardoned and promoted─surrounded him. They quickly closed in and, drawing their knives, began to stab him. Bleeding from 23 brutal wounds, Caesar fell and died at the base of a statue he had commissioned: a statue of Pompey─his rival and friend. (7) Who was this man who stirred such a powerful mix of love, admiration,fear, and hatred? (8) Julius Caesar was born into a noble family, but he always supported the rights of the common people. He was the plebeian's favorite politician. They believed that he understood and cared about their needs. He did, but he was no saint. He was practical, strong willed, and hungry for power. Street-smart, he made very few mistakes, and he knew how to take advantage of the mistakes of his enemies. (9) In 60 BCE, Julius Caesar wanted to become a consul, but he was broke. He had already spent everything he had (or could borrow) to pay for his political career up to that point. He needed money and he needed help. So he made a bargain with two other men who also needed something: Cicero's friend Pompey and Crassus, the richest man in Rome. The three formed the First Triumvirate.

• 日本語訳をお願いいたします。

He was elected, at the end of 1898, president of the important commission on education, in which he advocated the adoption of a modern system of education. The policy of the Waldeck-Rousseau ministry on the religious teaching congregations broke up the Republican party, and Ribot was among the seceders; but at the general election of 1902, though he himself secured re-election, his policy suffered a severe check. He actively opposed the policy of the Combes ministry and denounced the alliance with Jean Léon Jaurès, and on 13 January 1905 he was one of the leaders of the opposition which brought about the fall of the cabinet. Although he had been most violent in denouncing the anti-clerical policy of the Combes cabinet, he now announced his willingness to recognize a new régime to replace the Concordat of 1801, and gave the government his support in the establishment of the Associations culturelles, while he secured some mitigation of the seventies attending the separation. He was re-elected deputy for St. Omer in 1906.