• ベストアンサー

英語に関する質問

They were waiting for the gate of the shop to open. 店が開くのを待っていた。という意味のようなのですが、最後のto openの使い方がわかりません。 From that days on, その日からという意味のようですが、このonはどのような考えから出てくるのでしょうか。 どちらかだけでも結構ですのでよろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

to open これは不定詞の名詞的用法で「~すること」 その前に名詞や代名詞を置くことによって ~の動作をする人や物を指定できます。 つまり「そのお店の門が開くことを」待っていた と、つながっていきます。 from that day on on の副詞の意味の中に 「ずっと」「継続して」などの意味があります。 それを利用した慣用表現だと思います。 go on とか keep on ~ ing とかも仲間です。

saiayanama
質問者

お礼

早々にありがとうございます。

関連するQ&A

• 高校英語で3つ質問

1.以下の2文を同じ意味にする問題です。 He was so foolish that he missed the point. He was too foolish () () miss the point. 2.「君はそこでただ待っていればいい。」は、どちらが正しいですか。 There is nothing but to do wait for you. There is nothing but for you to do wait. 3.I went to the new shop to buy a sweater, but they had so many to choose from that I was completely at a loss. でなぜtheyという複数形になるんですかね。 この3つをどうか教えてください。

• Obama and Clinton Trade Attacks on Eve

“Senator Clinton has said she is ready to lead from Day 1,” Mr. Obama said. “But it’s important on Day 1 to get it right, whether you’re talking about war or you’re talking about economic proposals.” she is ready to lead from Day 1最初からリードする構えである it’s important on Day 1 to get it right, 最初で決着をつけるのが重要だ でよろしいでしょうか。 The Clinton campaign also concentrated criticism on Senator Obama for recently saying that “it’s fair to say that the Republicans were the party of ideas for a pretty long chunk of time there over the last 10 to 15 years.” >the Republicans were the party of ideas このideasに相応しい日本語を教えてください。

• 英語の質問です!!

What kind of fast food would you like to eat for lunch? Hamburgers? Fried chicken? Some of you may think of instant noodles. Instant noodles made in Japan are exported to over fifty countries and areas around the world - many of them in Asia. Do you know the history of this world-famous fast food born in Japan? In the early years following World War II, Ando Momofuku saw people forming long lines in front of noodle stands. They had to stand waiting in line for a long time. Ando wanted to make noodles that would be easy to cook and also keep for a long time. He hit upon the idea of deep-frying noodles after watching his wife cook tempura for dinner. Through trial and error, he succeeded in making instant noodles. This was a product of noodles that had been seasoned, deep-fried, and the dried. In 1958 the world’s first instant noodles went on sale in Japan. Because they could be prepared in just a few minutes, by putting them in a bowl and poruring hot water over them, they were called “magic noodles” and quickly became a hit. They had to stand waiting in line for a long time.について (1)次の文を日本語に直しなさい。A black dog came runnning toward us. (2)この文を日本語になおしなさい。 Ando wanted to make noodles that would be easy to cook and also keep for a long time.について (1)and が並列の関係で結んでいる語をそれぞれ1語ずつ書きなさい。 ( )と( ) (2)この文を日本語になおしなさい。 Because they could be prepared in just a few minutes, by putting them in a bowl and pouring hot water over them, they were called ‘magic noodles` and quickly became a hit.について (1)Because で始まる節はどこまで続くか、最後の単語を抜き出しなさい。 ( ) (2)by putting them in a bowl and pouring hot water over themを日本語になおすとき、( )に適切な語を入れなさい。 それらを( )に入れ、その上に( )を( ) (3)この文を日本語に直しなさい。

• 英語の和訳お願いします。

''It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." The Victorian age was one of soaring ambition, technological wonder, and awesome grandeur, as well as ugliness, and misery on an unprecended scale. The Victorians knew life was changing faster than ever before, and they recorded that change in paintings that were the cinema of their day. These paintings aren't fashionable, and they don't generally change hands for millions of pounds in auction rooms, but to me they're a gold mine, they show us like nothing else what it was like to live in those incredible times, and they tell amazing stories. The most dramatic story of the age was the explosion of giant cities. To our Victorian forefathers they were a terrific shock. When Queen Victoria came to the throne, people were at best uneasy at, and at worst utterly terrified by these vast gatherings of humanity. Nothing like them had existed before. But by the time she died, the men and women of the age had pioneered an entirely new way of living: they had invented the modern city. At the dawn of the 19th century, Britain was on the move. Rumours had reached even the remotest villages and hamlets of incredible developments just over the horizon. Towns bigger than anyone could imagine, astouding new machines, and money to be made for those ready to take the risk. My own great-great-great-grandfather was in that tide of humanity that left the land in search of a better life. He, his wife and four of their children travelled to the industrial north by barge. They didn't really know what they'd find here, but they did know what they were leaving behind, and whatever they were to find here, it was better than begging for handouts or going hungry.

• 英語

1 We have a lot of homework every day. という文 をMegという人物で言い換えると  Meg has a lot of homework every day. でいいですか教えてください 2 in 2000. は イン トゥーサウズンド と読むのですか?教えてください 3彼らがスタジアムに着いた時には、その試合はすでに始まっていた。 を英語で直すと The game had already started when they got to the stadium. でいいですか? 4その窓は私が閉めるまで、ずっと開いていた。を英語で直すと The window had been open until I shut it. ですが、何でopenをopeningにしないのですか教えてください。 5 I'm afraid(that) は、残念ながら~だ。という意味ですが、どういう場合にthatがつくのですか?

• ▼英語

I'm doing pretty will. I just got back from visiting my parents. I went there with my brother to help them. They live on a big piece of property by themselves and they are very old so they need some help sometimes. I was not able to get onto Facebook for two days so I just managed to get back on today. がんばってみたんですけど和訳できません。良かったらお願いします。

• consist of の意味が分かりません。

以下の訳がわからないので、どなたか教えてください。 Consist of ~は 「~で構成されている」だと思うのですが、 夜は私で構成されている?では意味が不明です。 あと、for the party と they were going toの間はなにか略されているのでしょうか。 The night consisted of me sitting in the back seat of his friend's truck while they drove around to pick up things for the party they were going to have that same night.

• 英語おしえてください(>_<)

(1)~(3)まで教えてください。 Another idea of psychoanalysis is that all neuroses come from the unconscious part of the mind. This idea led to the belief that, it ((1)) thoughts a re made ((2)), usually the neuroses will disappear. If neuroses were to be treated by bringing thoughts out from the unconscious, then a way had to be found to reach into the ((3)). Freud found one approach to reaching the unconscious that became an important part of psychoanalysis ー an approach he called free association. Patients were asked to let their thoughts wander and say whatever came into their minds. He wanted to hear all memories, dreams, and wishes of his patients. As they spoke, he found they remembered painful memories from the unconscious ー memories that had long kept hidden.

• 英語でいくつか質問があります。

英語でいくつか質問があります。 解答がないので、自分の解釈が全然違うところもあるとおもいますが、お願いします。 It seems likely that mutually unintelligible forms of English will increasingly develop as the language is taught and learned in various parts of the world which are isolated from contact with first-language speakers. 「互いに理解できない英語がますます英語として発達していること」が教えられ、学ばれている と解釈してしまったのですが、何かおかしいと思いました・・・。 It is said that the ancient Hindus were the first to believe that when thirteen persons sat together it was unlucky. 最後の「when thirteen persons sat together it was unlucky」の意味がわかりません。 One evening there came to the store a man who had been well-educated, but whose love for drink had brought him to poverty. 「whose」の役割が分かりません。 She was so shy that for a long time I hesitated to tell her what I felt for her. 「what」の意味に確信がもてませんでした。 「何を」と訳すwhatなのか、関係代名詞で「~こと」と訳すwhatなのかが分かりません。見分け方を教えてください。 Cellular phones enable you to make more productive use of your time. 「make」の用法が分かりません。どういう意味でつかわれているんですか? There were only two ways in which people could keep great happenings from being forgotten. 代替の意味は分かるんですが、細かく見ると分からなくなります。 S prevent O from doingの構文なんですが、preventがkeepに変わったのはいいんですが、「could」が入る理由が分かりません。 couldがなければ、「人々によってすばらしい出来事が忘れられない方法はたった2つしかなかった」となると思ったのですが、あっていますか?そして、ここにcouldが入るとどういう意味が加わるのでしょうか? 質問が多いんですが、よろしくお願いします。

• 英語の訳をお願いします!!

It took many centuries before people worked out accurate units of measurements and weights . The first ones were rough and available. People used as measures the human hand , the human foot, or the distance that a person could travel in a single day's journey . As civilization progressed, technological and commercial requirements led to increased standardization. For example, the length of the human foot varies from individual to individual. Therefore it probably became necessary to choose a particular individual (for example , the king ) . And then they reproduced standards based on this commonly accepted unit of length.