• ベストアンサー

consist of の意味が分かりません。

以下の訳がわからないので、どなたか教えてください。 Consist of ~は 「~で構成されている」だと思うのですが、 夜は私で構成されている?では意味が不明です。 あと、for the party と they were going toの間はなにか略されているのでしょうか。 The night consisted of me sitting in the back seat of his friend's truck while they drove around to pick up things for the party they were going to have that same night.

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • penta9n
  • ベストアンサー率35% (12/34)
回答No.2

<直訳> 「同じ夜に彼らが開く予定であるパーティーのための物を集めるために車で走り回る間、彼の友達のトラックの後部座席で座っている私で夜が構成されていた。」 <意訳> 「彼の友達のトラックの後部座席に座って、その夜開かれることになっているパーティーに必要なものを集めて回る間に、すっかり夜になってしまった。」 <解説> 「夜が私で構成される」は、「夜が私を取り囲む」と考えるとわかりやすいのではないでしょうか。このような日本語では主語になりえないような言葉を主語にして情景を表すことが英語ではよくあります。 for the party と they were going to の間には関係代名詞が省略されていると考えればよいと思います。

casionet
質問者

お礼

意訳、とても分かりやすいです。夜を主語にしているので、意味が全然分からなかったんですが、よくあることなんですね。大変参考になりました。ありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (1)

回答No.1

「で構成されている」と,辞書通りに受け取る必要はありません。 普通に訳せば、「この夜はこんな感じだった―」程度の切り口です。 正確にいうと、その夜( "The" night) は 「僕」が「特定の目的をもった 友人の後部座席に座る」という状況から、構成されているのです。 for the party と they were going to have の間は何も略されていません。 彼らの開催するパーティの為に~ でそのまんまです。

casionet
質問者

お礼

そんな切り口なんですか。想像すらできませんでした。 ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 意味を教えてください

From what I can tell, many who are disabled and on the dole feel the same way. There may be some folks receiving disability benefits fraudulently, but I do know I got a good going over. A few weeks after my stroke, when I realized I wouldn’t be able to work, my wife drove me to the Social Security office to apply for benefits. After stacks of paperwork, it took several months before my first trip to the doctor, for a psychiatric exam, where they asked me to count to 100 by sevens. got a good going overとcount to 100 by sevensの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします。

• above all of

下記の直訳を文を区切って教えていただけますか? They were given 30% longer to complete the test and hiragana character readings were provided above of all of the kanji on the test paper.

• 意味を教えてください

Due to his rare blood, his life has been insured for one million Australian dollars (approx. US$767,485) and he has been through a series of tests to help develop the vaccine. “They insured me for a million dollars so I knew my wife Barbara would be taken care of. I wasn’t scared. I was glad to help. I had to sign every form going and basically sign my life away,” he said. この文のgoingとsign my life awayの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• Jack and Jill Partyの意味は?

Pet Shop Boysプロデュース、Pete Burns歌唱の"Jack and Jill Party"という歌があります。 とっても「そっち系」な歌詞であるということはわかるのですが、正確に訳せる方、どなたかお願いできませんか? I'm going to a Jack-and-Jill party A Jack-and-Jill party Is always gonna start me On the road to ruin And who knows where? Paint your face And rat your hair In the cathouse With my bitches In the back room of the palace Adding up my riches Such a clown I had the wrong idea Should have gone to stage school And got a career I'm going (To a party A Jack-and-Jill party) I'm going (To a party A Jack-and-Jill party) I'm going to America A very big subject America We'll walk down the avenue Hand in hand Cameras flashing On command Posessed of a power to fascinate It's almost like I'm almost straight And that's such a great Substantial way To deflect hate In the USA I'm going (To a party A Jack-and-Jill party) I'm going (To a party A Jack-and-Jill party) I'm going to a Jack-and-Jill party A Jack-and-Jill party And nobody's gonna stop me I don't care What they say These days everybody's A DJ The public reject Collectors collect It's a matter of size And you're up for a prize Turn my back On the human race Gimme an inch And I'm jamming the space I'm going (To a party A Jack-and-Jill party) I'm going (To a party A Jack-and-Jill party) Paint your face And rat your hair

• 中学英語で質問

Good evening, Mr.Sasaski. No one was home but Mom left a message for me. It says that I have to give you this box of tissues. Actually, they are for you. You are going yo cry! この英文は,お別れのsurprise partyでの一場面です。 文中の they are for youのtheyは、this box of tissuesを受けてるんだと思うんですけど、 そこで、this box of tissuesは、単数であるから they are for youは、 this is for youになるんじゃないの?・・・・・何か勘違いしてるのかな? すみませんが教えて下さい。

• 未来形

They were going to go to the supermarket together. be going toのbe動詞が過去形になってます。 これは文法的に何て言うの? 過去未来形??? (1)will=are going to. (2)will=were going to. ってこと? willは(1)(2)どちらのニュアンスでも使えるってこと? それとも(2)のニュアンスならwouidを使うべき? (1)は中学校で習う文法、(2)は高校?それとも両方中学?

• 文章解釈 housekeeping …

以下の文章に関する質問です。 ‘So in one part of the experiment, she had a group of friends that were asked to just put their phones away during the meal; it was just an innocuous instruction. And then the other group were asked to leave their phones on the table because they were going to get some housekeeping instructions for this particular experiment.’? housekeeping instructionsをどのように理解すれば良いのかわからないです。 解説宜しくお願いします。

• 和訳をお願いします。

These new, fresh troops allowed the Romanians to gain numerical superiority over the Bulgarians, but once again they were delayed on their way and would arrive gradually on the battlefield, reducing their impact on the overall course of the battle. The first reinforcements crossed the Danube late in the afternoon and during the night on 4 September. When they stepped on the southern shore they were immediately parceled out to strengthen the different sectors, with no regard for the direction of the main Bulgarian attack or for the establishment of a sufficient reserve.

• "drop lots of grief on someone"の意味

次の文章の"drop lots of grief on someone"の部分だけで結構です。意味を教えてもらえませんか?私の解釈では「パットンが自分自身に対する厳しさ、自制心がないのであきれていた。けど、よくそのことを理解していたので憎むまでの感情を持つにはいたらなかった」自信がありません。あなたの意見をよろしくお願いします。 Firstly, Eisenhower did not hate or dislike Patton. They were old friends. Patton actually helped Eisenhower get a job once. And Patton also helped Bradley get a gig once. They were just smart enough to know that Patton's lack of an internal censor dropped lots of grief on them. If they hated him, they'd have sacked him and sent him back to California. And Patton actually thought alot of Monty,especially Monty's organizational skills. He just thought that Monty was too hesitant. Alot of American officers thought that way.

• forとof DUO3.0より

Duo3.0より His new novel,which combines prose with his gift for poetry,is going to be published. (まもなく出版になる彼の小説は、散文に彼の詩の才能を融合させたものだ) という文章があるのですが、 この文章でなぜforが使われるのかが分かりません。 forではなくofを使うと思うのですが。 もしお分かりの方がいらっしゃいましたら教えてください