• 締切済み

英文のdownの意味

Is animal testing a justified? の記事の中で Most medics and scientists have further contended that doing research using animals is down medical research. の英文の中のdownの品詞と意味が分かる方教えて下さい!

みんなの回答

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

あ、下記の論文ですね。  https://academic-master.com/is-animal-testing-a-justified/  ここでの down の品詞は動詞で、意味は下記の他動詞の1「下げる」という意味です。  https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=down  従って訳は「さらに進んで、医者や科学者の多くが動物を使う研究は、医学研究の価値を下げるものだと主張している。」といったことでしょう。

yukihiko0511
質問者

お礼

SPS700様 ご回答誠に有難うございました。 とても勉強になりました。 品詞も分からず意味が訳しにくかったので非常に助かりました。

関連するQ&A

• 英文の意味について。

下の英文について、わからないことがあります。 The results provide the most complete picture so far of the public's views on animal research-from die-hard activists who even oppose experiments that don't harm animals to the 1 in 20 people prepared to let monkeys die to test cosmetics. (1)the public's views on animal research-from die-hard activist の部分は、どういう意味か。 (animal research とは動物実験のことか、research と from の間に ハイフンがあるのはなぜか) (2) the 1 in 20 people なぜthe がつくのか(20人中1人という意味ならthe はいらないんじゃないか、強調ならば、1人も=多いことを強調 又は 1人しか=少ないことを強調、のどちらなのか。。。) お分かりになるかた、教えていただくと助かります。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英文和訳です

Understanding Animal Research (the successor organization to the Research Defence Society, a group mentioned in the article) is dedicated to educating the public about animal research policies and procedures. Animal rights activists are represented by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), a group who states that it “focuses its attention on the four areas in which the largest numbers of animals suffer the most intensely for the longest periods of time : on factory farms, in laboratories, in the clothing trade, and in the entertainment industry.” Another group, the Fund for the Replacement of Animals in Medical Experiments (FRAME), states its mission as “the total elimination of the need for any laboratory animal procedures, through the development, validation, and acceptance of replacement alternative methods.” Debate between public organizations such as those listed above has reduced the use of animals in experiments, led to refinements in procedures, and may well lead to the total replacement of animal models. Some extremists on the animal rights side, unfortunately, are not patient enough to work through this process. They “liberate” animals from research facilities, destroy labs and records, burn down houses of researchers and pharmaceutical company executives, and threaten further violence. The level of violence on the European continent increased in the first decade of the 21st century, and it is not clear if a crackdown on animal rights extremists in the UK contributed to this increase. よろしくお願いします^^;

• 長文問題

David Greybeard first showed me how fuzzy the distinction between animals and humans can be. Forty years ago I befriended David, a chimpanzee, during my first field trip to Gombe in Tanzania. One day I offered him a nut in my open palm. He looked directly into my eyes, took the nut out of my hand and dropped it. At the same moment he very gently squeezed my hand as if to say, I don't want it, but I understand your motives. Since chimpanzees are thought to be physiologically close to humans, researchers use them as test subjects for new drugs and vaccines. In the labs, these very sociable creatures often live isolated from one another in 5-by-5-foot cages, where they grow surly and sometimes violent. Dogs, cats and rats are also kept in poor conditions and subjected to painful procedures. Many people would find it hard to sympathize with rats, but dogs and cats are part of our lives. Ten or 15 years ago, when the use of animals in medical testing was first brought to my attention, I decided to visit the labs myself. Many people working there had forced themselves to believe that animal testing is the only way forward for medical research. Once we accept that animals are sentient beings, is it ethical to use them in research? From the point of view of the animals, it is quite simply wrong. From our standpoint, it seems ridiculous to equate a rat with a human being. If we clearly and honestly believe that using animals in research will, in the end, reduce massive human suffering, it would be difficult to argue that doing so is unethical. How do we find a way out of this dilemma? One thing we can do is change our mind-set. We can begin by questioning the assumption that animals are essential to medical research. Scientists have concluded that chimpanzees are not useful for AIDS research because, even though their genetic makeup differs from ours by about 1 percent, their immune systems deal much differently with the AIDS virus. Many scientists test drugs and vaccines on animals simply because they are required to by law rather than out of scientific merit. This is a shame, because our medical technology is beginning to provide alternatives. We can perform many tests on cell and tissue cultures without recourse to systemic testing on animals. Computer simulations can also cut down on the number of animal tests we need to run. We aren't exploring these alternatives vigorously enough. Ten or 15 years ago animal-rights activists resorted to violence against humans in their efforts to break through the public's terrible apathy and lack of imagination on this issue. This extremism is counterproductive. I believe that more and more people are becoming aware that to use animals thoughtlessly, without any anguish or making an effort to find another way, diminishes us as human beings. 【設問】 ・3段落3文目,doing soの内容を表す語を文中から 自分は、‘using animals in research’としました。「研究の中で動物を利用すること」が、非道徳的であると主張することは難しいだろう…このように考えました。 ・一番最後の文,diminishes us as human beingsの意味を日本語で簡潔に説明←良く分からなかったです。「人間としての我々の権威(信用)を落とす」…最後の段落をまとめるのでしょうか? お願いします。 参考までに、この文章の出典を見つけたので貼っておきます。 http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2001/05/06/a-question-of-ethics.html

• 英文和訳です

Neurologists such as Dr. Agnes Floel investigate diseases that attack the nervous system. Research into protecting the brain, the spinal cord, and the network of nerves that communicate sensations throughout the body is especially important these days because people are living longer than ever before. Degeneration of nervous system functions greatly affects the quality of life of patients. Dr. Floel and her team thus decided to investigate claims that a limited-calorie diet might protect against the degeneration of nerves or the loss of memory. Animal studies showed promising results, so Dr. Floel’s team recruited volunteers to participate in a human study. One group kept eating as normal ; another group ate more foods that are supposed to be good at protecting the nervous system ; the final group followed a restricted diet. After 3 months, the individuals in each group were tested. Those in the restricted diet group scored best in the memory tests. Perhaps the most exciting part of the study is that the effect found in the animal studies translated to the human trial. To be sure, there is no guarantee that further studies will show the same results, and it is still not clear exactly how or why a restricted diet may be beneficial. What is clear is that further research is warranted. 長くてすみませんがよろしくお願いします^^;

• 和訳お願いします

ANIMAL-BOTS Scientists are also working on robots that look and act like animals. NASA has researched using robot snakes as an alternative to vehicles with wheels. Snake-bots can't run or jump, but they can enter holes and move over rough ground. They might one day help scientists look for signs of life on Mars.

• これらの英文の訳をお願いします。

1. I tried to do my homework, but I found there was something wrong with my computer. 2. "Who did you go to the movie with?" "No one. I went by myself." 3. I think my speech went down reasonably well. How did yours go? 4.The dog is one of the two most ubiquitous and popular domestic animals in the world; the cat is the other. 5. If I ask my co-workers whether they'd mind meeting on a Sunday, I'm sure most of them will say it's out of the question.

• この文の和訳の添削をお願いします。

下記の英文の添削をお願いします。 問題点があれば指摘して頂ければ幸いです。 しかし「With humans it’s only down to individual researchers.」がどういう意味なのかよく分かりません。 教えていただけないでしょか?宜しくお願い致します。 "There is far more legislation in place in this country protecting animals than there is protecting humans. With humans it’s only down to individual researchers. Animal testing is necessary in some areas, and where it is, and is conducted without pain or unusual confinement, I see no ethical problem," 「この国には人間を保護するよりも遥かに多くの法律があり、動物を適切に保護している。 人間とは研究者達個人に至るまで。動物実験は一部の領域で不可欠であり、 苦痛や異常な監禁が伴わない場所で実験が行われるのであれば、倫理的問題は無いと私は思う。」

• comfortable ~ing について教えてください

It is a measure of Rice's success at building their relatioship that Bush is comfortable testing her, even durig the off-hours. という文があります。そのなかで、be comfortable testing は、be busy (in) typing と同じ使い方と考えていいのでしょうか? (気楽にテストしていると訳せるでしょうか。) 一方、英辞郎には、次の例文が載っています。 feel fairly comfortable doing   かなり気楽{きらく}に~することができる こちらを応用すると、気楽にテストすることができるとなりますね。意味が大きく変わるわけではないのですが、ちょっと混乱しております。どうぞ、お助けください。

• 訳がわからないので教えてください。

自分で訳してみたのですが、意味がよくわからないので修正していただけませんか? 意訳でかまいません。 よろしくお願いします。 Worried about all the human embryos that were destroyed because of the medical research he was doing with stem-cells, Shinya Yamanaka eventually developed a new method using skin cells instead of embryos. Japanese scientists are not known for innovation or risk -taking, but others may be encouraged by Yamanaka's success. 自分の訳↓ 破壊されてしまう人の人口受精卵を心配して、シンヤヤマナカは、結局、胚の代わりに皮膚細胞を使っている新しい方法を開発しました。 日本の科学者は革新で知られていないか、危険はありません、しかし、他の人はヤマナカの成功によって力を得るかもしれません。

• 英文の和訳をお願いします!!

In almost every TV show about an emergency room you probably see an ambulance screeching to a stop with its lights flashing , a gurney being rushed through the corridors and emergency staff racing against time to save a person's kife with only seconds to spare. This scene is possible and occasionally happends , but most of he cases that a typical emergency department sees aren't so dramatic. Let's look at how an ordinary case goes through the normal flow of an emergency room. When patients arrive at the Emergency Department , they go to triage first. In triage , each patient's condition is prioritized , typically by a nurse. She puts the patient into one of three general categories. The categories are: ・Immediately life-threatening ・Urgent , but not immediately life-threatening ・Less urgent Categorizing patients is necessary so that someone with a life-threatening condition doesn't have to wait to get care. The triage nurse records the vital sugns (temperature , pulse , respiratory rate , and blood pressure). She also takes a brief history of the patient's current medical complaints , past medical problems , medications and allergies. From this information , the nurse can decide which triage category is suitable. Registration is the next stage in the ER process. A TV show rarely lets us see this part. It's not exciting , but it is very important. This is where the hospital collexts the patient's personal details and insurance information. Registration is needed to create a clear medical record so that the patient's medical history , lab tests , X-rays , etc. , will all be put on his or her medical chart. That chart can then be checked by doctors , nurses and other medical staff when necessary. Also , this information will be important for creating the hospital bill. If the patient has a life-threatening situation or arrives by ambulance , the registration stage might be done later at the beside. Finally , the patient comes to the exam room. The nurse has the person put on a patient gown so that an examination can be done properly. She might also collect a urine specimen at this time. After the nurse's tasks are fished , the emergency-medicine physician meets with the patient. The physician asks questions t create a more detailed medical history about the present illness , past medical problems , family history , social history , and also takes a close look at all the patient's physical systems. The physician then formulates a list of possible causes of the patient's symptoms. This is called a differential diagnosis. The most likely diagnosis is then determined by th patient's symptoms and the physical examination. If this stage is not enough to create a clear diagnosis , then further diagnostic testa are done.

専門家に質問してみよう