The Ethical Dilemma of Using Animals in Research

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Forty years ago, I befriended a chimpanzee named David Greybeard during my first field trip to Gombe in Tanzania. As researchers use chimpanzees as test subjects for new drugs and vaccines, it raises the question of whether it is ethical to use animals in research.
  • The use of animals in medical testing has been a controversial issue. While some argue that using animals is necessary to advance medical research and reduce human suffering, others believe it is morally wrong to subject sentient beings to painful procedures and poor living conditions.
  • The author suggests that changing our mindset is crucial. Scientists have found that chimpanzees are not useful for AIDS research, and there are alternative methods such as cell and tissue cultures, as well as computer simulations. The author also emphasizes the importance of treating animals thoughtfully and finding another way to conduct research without diminishing our humanity.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

長文問題

David Greybeard first showed me how fuzzy the distinction between animals and humans can be. Forty years ago I befriended David, a chimpanzee, during my first field trip to Gombe in Tanzania. One day I offered him a nut in my open palm. He looked directly into my eyes, took the nut out of my hand and dropped it. At the same moment he very gently squeezed my hand as if to say, I don't want it, but I understand your motives. Since chimpanzees are thought to be physiologically close to humans, researchers use them as test subjects for new drugs and vaccines. In the labs, these very sociable creatures often live isolated from one another in 5-by-5-foot cages, where they grow surly and sometimes violent. Dogs, cats and rats are also kept in poor conditions and subjected to painful procedures. Many people would find it hard to sympathize with rats, but dogs and cats are part of our lives. Ten or 15 years ago, when the use of animals in medical testing was first brought to my attention, I decided to visit the labs myself. Many people working there had forced themselves to believe that animal testing is the only way forward for medical research. Once we accept that animals are sentient beings, is it ethical to use them in research? From the point of view of the animals, it is quite simply wrong. From our standpoint, it seems ridiculous to equate a rat with a human being. If we clearly and honestly believe that using animals in research will, in the end, reduce massive human suffering, it would be difficult to argue that doing so is unethical. How do we find a way out of this dilemma? One thing we can do is change our mind-set. We can begin by questioning the assumption that animals are essential to medical research. Scientists have concluded that chimpanzees are not useful for AIDS research because, even though their genetic makeup differs from ours by about 1 percent, their immune systems deal much differently with the AIDS virus. Many scientists test drugs and vaccines on animals simply because they are required to by law rather than out of scientific merit. This is a shame, because our medical technology is beginning to provide alternatives. We can perform many tests on cell and tissue cultures without recourse to systemic testing on animals. Computer simulations can also cut down on the number of animal tests we need to run. We aren't exploring these alternatives vigorously enough. Ten or 15 years ago animal-rights activists resorted to violence against humans in their efforts to break through the public's terrible apathy and lack of imagination on this issue. This extremism is counterproductive. I believe that more and more people are becoming aware that to use animals thoughtlessly, without any anguish or making an effort to find another way, diminishes us as human beings. 【設問】 ・3段落3文目,doing soの内容を表す語を文中から 自分は、‘using animals in research’としました。「研究の中で動物を利用すること」が、非道徳的であると主張することは難しいだろう…このように考えました。 ・一番最後の文,diminishes us as human beingsの意味を日本語で簡潔に説明←良く分からなかったです。「人間としての我々の権威(信用)を落とす」…最後の段落をまとめるのでしょうか? お願いします。 参考までに、この文章の出典を見つけたので貼っておきます。 http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2001/05/06/a-question-of-ethics.html

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • sayshe
  • ベストアンサー率77% (4555/5904)
回答No.1

<訳例> デイビッド・グレイビアドが、動物と人間の区別がいかにあいまいになりえるかについて、私に初めて示してくれました。 40年前、タンザニアのゴンベへの私の最初の現地調査旅行の間に、私は、チンパンジーのデイビッドと友達になりました。 ある日、私は、ひろげた手のひらにナッツをのせて彼にすすめました。 彼は、真直ぐに私の目を覗き込んで、私の手からナッツを取り、それを落としました。 同時に、彼は、とても優しく私の手を握って、まるで、私はそれが欲しくありません、でも、私はあなたの動機を理解します、と言うかのようでした。 チンパンジーが、生理的に人間に近いと考えられているので、研究者は、新薬やワクチンの試験被験者として彼らを利用します。 研究室で、これらの非常に社交的な生きものは、5×5フィートの檻に入れられ、しばしば、お互いに隔離されて、生きています、その檻の中では、彼らは、不機嫌で時々狂暴になります。 犬、猫、ネズミもまた、ひどい状況で飼われて、痛みを伴う処置を受けています。多くの人々は、ネズミに同情するのは難しいと思うかもしれません、しかし、犬や猫は、我々の生活の一部になっています。 10~15年前、医学実験における動物の使用が、最初に、私の注意を引くようになったとき、私は、私自身で研究室を訪問することに決めました。 そこで働いている多くの人々は、動物実験が、医学研究にとって前進するための唯一の方法であると、無理にも自分自身に信じ込ませていました。 一旦、我々が、動物が感情のある存在であることを認めるならば、研究で彼らを利用することは、倫理的でしょうか? 動物の観点からすれば、それは全く明らかに間違っています。 我々の立場からすると、ネズミを人間と同等視することは、馬鹿げていると思われます。研究で動物を使うことが、結局は、大きな人間の苦しみを減らすと、我々が、明らかに、また、正直に信じているならば、そうすることが、非倫理的であると主張することは、難しいでしょう。 どのようにして、我々は、このジレンマの出口を見つけますか? 我々がすることができる1つのことは、我々の思考法を変えることです。 我々は、動物が医学研究にとって必須であるという仮定を疑うことから始めることができます。 科学者は、たとえチンパンジーの遺伝子の組成が、約1パーセント我々のものと異なるとしても、彼らの免疫系が、非常に違ってエイズ・ウイルスに対処するので、チンパンジーが、エイズ研究に役立たないと、結論を出しています。 多くの科学者は、単に彼らが、科学的なメリットからよりもむしろ法律によって求められているので、動物で薬やワクチンをテストします。 これは、残念なことです、と言うのは、我々の医療技術が、代替の選択肢を提供し始めているからです。 我々は、動物に全体的なテストに頼ることなしに、細胞と組織培養で、多くのテストを行うことができます。コンピュータ・シミュレーションは、我々が行う必要がある動物実験の数を減らすこともできます。 我々は、十分精力的にこれらの選択肢を詳しく調査していません。 10~15年前、この問題に関する一般市民の恐ろしいほどの無関心と想像力の欠如を打開しようとして、動物の権利保護を求める活動家は、人間に対して暴力に訴えました。 この過激主義は、逆効果です。 どんな苦悩もせず、あるいは、もう一つの方法を見つける努力をすることなく、軽率に動物を使うことは、人間として我々をおとしめることに、ますます多くの人々が気づいていると、私は信じています。 【設問】 ・3段落3文目,doing soの内容を表す語を文中から 自分は、‘using animals in research’としました。「研究の中で動物を利用すること」が、非道徳的であると主張することは難しいだろう…このように考えました。 ⇒正しいと思います。 ・一番最後の文,diminishes us as human beingsの意味を日本語で簡潔に説明←良く分からなかったです。「人間としての我々の権威(信用)を落とす」…最後の段落をまとめるのでしょうか? ⇒どんな苦悩もせず、あるいは、もう一つの方法を見つける努力をすることなく、軽率に動物を使うことは、人間として我々をおとしめると言うこと。 でよいのでは? ☆出典まで調べていただき恐縮です。

a0itone
質問者

お礼

訳例及び、設問の添削、ありがとうございました。 助かりました。

関連するQ&A

• 長文問題

How men and women organize their lives need not be influenced by our biology. Whether women stay at home to look after children or go out and drive bulldozers is a social matter and not a biological one. We could stay that such things are a matter of gender. Each society has its own ideas about the roles which go with each gender. This is part of culture. This means that we gain our sense of gender through socialization. It is something that is learned. The idea that some people learn to be boys and men while others learn to be girls and women may seem rather strange. After all we usually think that being masculine or feminine is natural. It is thought to be something that we are born with. Apart from the shapes of our bodies and the ability to have bodies, there are very few real differences between men and women. Women are in many ways physically stronger than men. They live longer and are less likely to suffer from certain diseases. Men can generally run faster and lift heavier weights. On the other hand, the best women athlete can run faster, throw further and lift more than most men can. Many of the differences that we take to be ‘natural’ are in fact ( ). ・( )内の語句 biological,clear,social,important ・1段落‘This is part of culture’ Thisの内容 ・1段落最後の文、Itの内容を英語で ・2段落3文目Itの内容を英語で 設問もなかなか難しく感じました。 お願いします。

• 長文問題

Communication does more than enable us to survive. It is the wayーindeed, the only way we learn who we are. Our sense of identity comes from the way we interact with other people. Are we smart or stupid, attractive or ugly, skillful or silly? The answers to these questions don't come from looking in the mirror. We decide who we are based on how others react to us. Deprived of communication with others, we would have no sense of identity. We shouldn't overlook the everyday, important functions communication serves. Communication is the tool that lets us tell the doctor where it hurts. It is the means of learning important information in school. It is the method you use to convince a future employer that you're the best candidate for a job. It's worth nothing that inability to express yourself clearly and effectively can prevent you from achieving your goal. At the same time, It's just as important to avoid misunderstanding about communication. Avoiding the following misunderstandings can save you a great deal of personal trouble. The biggest mistake we can make is to assume that saying something is the same thing as communicating it. There is no guarantee that a receiver will understand the message in a way that matches the sender's intention. There are also situations when too much talking is a mistake. Sometimes excessive communication is simply unproductive, as when two people go over the same ground again and again without making progress. There are other times when talking too much deepens the problem. There are even times when no communication is the best course. Sometimes clear communication is even the cause of problems. Suppose, for example, that a friend asks you for an honest opinion of the $200 outfit he has just bought. Your clear and sincere answer, “I think it makes you look fat,” might do more harm than good. Deciding when and how to say something honestly isn't always easy. Most people assume that communication is an ability people develop without the need for trainingーrather like breathing. Although almost everyone does manage to communicate with others without much formal training, people operate at a level of effectiveness far below their potential. Learning and practicing proper skills can help virtually every one become a better communicator. ・1段落最後の文、“Deprived of communication with others,”を節に書き換え ・文中のIt、It's、itといった代名詞の指す内容を出来る限り教えて下さい。

• 英語の読解問題です。

(1)When you sit in the reading room of a library to do your own homework, you are surrounded by centuries of research. When you log on to the Internet, you can find millions of research reports. All those reports are the product of researchers who have asked endless questions, gathered huge amounts of information, worked out answers and solutions, and then shared them with the rest of us. (2)Teachers at all levels devote their lives to research. Governments spend billions on it, and businesses even more. Research goes on in laboratories and libraries, in jungles and ocean depths, in caves and in outer space. It stands behind every new technology, product, or scientific discoveryand most of the old ones. Research is in fact the worlds biggest industry. Those who cannot reliably do research or evaluate the research of others will find themselves left behind in a world that increasingly depends on new ideas based on good information produced by trusted researchers. (3)In fact, research reported by others, in writing, is the source of most of what we all believe. None of us has been to Venus, for example, but we believe that it is hot, dry and mountainous. Why? Because thats what we've read in reports we trust. Whenever we look something up, our research depends on the research of others. But we can trust their research only if we can trust that they did it carefully and reported it accurately. (4)To put it simply, everyone does research: we all gather information to answer a question that solves a problem. You do it every day. PROBLEM: You need a new part for your bicycle. RESEARCH: You call bicycle stores or get on the Internet to see who has one in stock. PROBLEM: You want to know where Michael Jordan, the famous American basketball player was born. RESEARCH: You go to the library and look in a biographical dictionary, or you search the Internet and then sort through the thousands and thousands of references to him. PROBLEM: You want to learn more about the discovery of a new species of tropical fish. RESEARCH: You search the Internet for articles in newspapers and magazines. (5)Though we all do those kinds of research we dont all write it up. But we do rely on those who did: the bicycle part suppliers, Jordans biographers, and the fish discoverers. All of them wrote up the results of their research because they thought that one day someone would have a question that their data would answer. (6)In fact, without trusted and tested published research available to all of us, we would be locked in the opinions of the moment and (lie, fooled,hear,we,every,by). Of course, we all want to believe that our opinions are correct; yet mistaken ideas, even dangerous ones, develop because too many people accept too many opinions on not very good evidence. And those who act on unquestioned opinions can lead themselves, and others, to disaster. 【設問】 ・2段落2文目内even moreに続く語句1語を本文中から ・2段落4文目内最初のItが指す語句1語を本文中から ・2段落4文目内最後のonesが指すもの アtechnology, product, and scientific discovery イall the libraries that have been built ウresearchers in the laboratories and libraries エenormous amounts of money that governments spend ・最終段落6段落中の語句整序 本文の原文を見つけましたので、貼っておきます。 http://www.worldcat.org/wcpa/servlet/DCARead?standardNo=0226065677&standardNoType=1&excerpt=true

• 長文問題

It is important to distinguish between the amount of sleep we think (we'd) like, and the amount we need. There are people who feel perfectly well on two or three hours a night. For them, the problem is keeping themselves occupied for a few hours after midnight, or generally learning to accept the condition.  If you find yourself getting less sleep than you once did, don't be concerned about it (1) you are aware of feeling irritable and tired.  Most adults seem to find between seven and eight hours a night sufficient, but there are no fixed rules. The largest single group who complain of insufficient sleep are those who are combining full-time jobs with raising young children. The majority of this group, (it,come,surprise,learn,will,to,no,as), are woman trying to balance the demands of jobs, children, relaxation and housework!  Research indicates that we sleep to restore and repair our body tissues and brain cells, particularly the cells of the nervous system. Robbed of sleep, people become anxious and irritable; they lose willpower, memory, the ability to createーand are gradually unable to perform the simplest mechanical tasks. Lack of sleep has been blamed for many disastersーfrom car crashes to the Chernobyl disaster.  Research shows that we should twice a day and that few of us ever do. You may notice yourself getting sleepier in the afternoonsーin fact more accidents happen in the afternoon than at any other time of day or night. In one survey, 43% of respondents said they would have a nap every day if possible.  Electric light has seriously interfered with our sleeping patterns; the darkening sky goes almost unnoticed as we sit in artificially-lit rooms till well past our natural bedtimes. Before electricity, the majority regulated their lives by daylight. It is worth noting that some people feel particularly tired and inactive during the winter months, when they have to make a particular effort to disregard their body clocks. ・(we'd) に該当するもの アwe did イwe would ウwe had エwe should 自分はイにしました。 ・1段落最後のthe conditionの内容 ・(1)の語 アthough イunless ウonce エsince イにしました。 ・整序 It will come as no surprise to learn にしました。 お願いします。

• 下の長文が訳せません。

下の長文が訳せません。 どなたか教えてください。 The only way that doctors can get useful results is with a strict protocol and statistical samples in a control group. So what you are saying is that our children are in the service of medical science. How very foolish of me I always assumed medical science was in the service of the sufferer.

• 英語について。

I think that animals, babies and something of cute things made us heal our mind. we can have interested in it to see animals. A zoo has many animals, and we can see animals which only a zoo. many animals are in trouble in the global warming. わたしは、動物、赤ちゃんや何かかわいいものはわたし達の心をいやしてくれる わたし達は動物を見ることでそれに興味を持てる。 動物園には多くの動物がいて、わたしたちは動物園でしか見れない動物を見れる。 多くの動物が地球温暖化で困っている。 この英文の添削をしてください。 よろしく、お願いします。

• 長文英語

Philosophers' search for the truth resembles a detective story. Some think Andersen was murderer,(   ) think it was Nielsen or Jensen. The police are sometimes able to solve a real crime. But it is equally possible that they never get to the bottom of it, although there is a solution somewhere. So even if it is difficult to answer a question, there may be one ― and only one ― right answer. Either there is a kind of existence after death ― ( イ ) there is not. Philosophy has ウ( in / its origin / of / man's sense / wonder ). Man thinks it is so astonishing to be alive that philosophical questions arise of their own accord. It is like watching a magic trick. We cannot understand how it is done. So we ask : how can the magician change a couple of white silk scarves into a live rabbit? A lot of people experience the world with the same incredulity as when a magician suddenly pulls a rabbit out of a hat which has just been shown to them empty. In the case of the rabbit, we know the magician has tricked us. What we would like to know is just how he did it. But when it comes to the world it's somewhat different. We know that the world is not all sleight of hand and deception because here we are in it : we are part of it. Actyally, we are the white rabbit is that the rabbit does not realize it is taking part in amagic trick. We do. We feel we are part of something mysterious and we would like to know how it all works. 1.和訳をお願いします! 2.(  )と( イ )に適当な1語とウの(  )内の並び替えもお願いします! ◆補足◆ of own's one accord 自然に,一人で incredulity 疑う気持ち,信じられないという気持ち sleight of hand 手先の早業,手品

• 和訳お願いします!

With this information. we can see that the human body maintains a very delicate balance between cell creation and cell destruction, when this balance is disrupted the result can be a potentially fatal health condition, cancer is a disease in which too little apoptosis occurs, as cancerous cells often are corrupted in ways that make them resistant to the natural death process and can continue multiplying until destructive tumors are created. On the other hand, in a body that suffers from too much apoptosis, degenerative diseases such as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's can arise. With the process of apoptosis playing such a vital role in human health, it is no surprise that researchers are continuously studying it. If we can learn how to artificially control the apoptosis of cells in our bodies, it could lead to treatments for many life-threatening illnesses.

• 長文です;  英訳していただけないでしょうか?

上司に告白され、好きな人がいるので、あなたとは友達でいたいと言った返事なのですが、 英語が得意ではなく、全部を訳せません。 訳していただけないでしょうか。 Hi ○○ That is OK for me if we will be friends and not more. But as your friend, I really need to tell you some things about what`s called the “Laws of Attraction” First of all, it does not require a lot of time to know if you are attracted to a person or not. After meeting two or three times, for several hours, that is more than enough time to know. So if you think of me like a friend, I expect that will never change. So in this case it would be me that has got ‘unrequited love`. But the difference is, I know it will probably never change, so I will accept it and not lose time, and I will not lose other chances, while hoping my ‘unrequited love` will change to ‘requited love’. I know a love feeling is very unlikely to arrive in the future, if it is not there from the beginning. So as your friend, I just want to caution you to be careful and don’t lose precious time and opportunities while waiting for something that is very unlikely to arrive. And as my friend, I hope you will understand that my idea for Friday was more like a date. Since it seems to be not reality, can I ask that we make our next meeting day Monday evening instead? That way we can spend with mikako, and Tom. Like a ‘friends meet-up’ which is the way you are comfortable. Then I can still have a chance to find a special Christmas feeling another way. As my friend I think you would understand and encourage this course of action. And as your friend, I want to encourage you, even if it is not me, you need to find your happiness without losing precious time and opportunities because of an ‘unrequited love`. Because life is short. And your young life is really short! There is no time to waste. Thanks and hope to see you Monday! with MIKAKO! Yours, ○○

• 英作文の問題です よろしければ添削お願い致します

(簡単なご指摘で大助かりです) - テキストの正解: Some scientist think that dolphins are the most intelligent animals in the world after mankind, and that we way be able to talk with them one day. ※イルカは人間についで最も知能が高く、やがて彼らとの対話も夢では無いと考えてる科学者もいる。 私の文: There are some scientists who think that the dolphins are intelligent second to human beings, and we will able to talk with them in the future. よろしくお願いいたします。