What to Do When You Notice a Tattoo on a Clerk's Cleavage?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • When you notice a tattoo on a clerk's cleavage, it's important to know the correct protocol to follow. Should you ignore the obvious or should you look closer to be sure you are seeing it correctly? And should you compliment her on her nice tattoo? Here's what you should do while she's ringing up your purchase.
  • If you notice a tattoo on a clerk's cleavage, it's important to handle the situation respectfully. Avoid staring or making any inappropriate comments. Instead, focus on your purchase and treat the clerk in a professional manner. Remember, people have the right to express themselves through body art, and it's not your place to judge or comment on it.
  • When encountering a situation where a clerk has a tattoo on their cleavage, it's best to maintain professionalism. Instead of focusing on the tattoo, pay attention to your purchase and the transaction at hand. Avoid making any comments or gestures that may be deemed inappropriate or offensive. Treat the clerk with respect and carry on with your business transaction as you normally would.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

よろしくお願いします

At the checkout counter I noticed the clerk had a tattoo in the cleavage of her breasts. I could see it because of her low-cut blouse. What's the correct protocol? Should I ignore the obvious, or should I look closer to be sure I am seeing it correctly? Should I compliment her on her nice tattoo? What exactly am I to do while she's ringing up my purchase? am I to doはshould I doと同意でしょうか?その場合なぜ後者を使わないのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4123/5358)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9726/12098)
回答No.3

>am I to doはshould I doと同意でしょうか? ⇒まずは、この2つの語句の意味(の異同)を確認します。 be to do (1) 予定:「~することになっている」、運命:「~する運命になっている」。 (2) 義務:「~すべきである」、当然:「~したらよい」、必要:「~する必要がある」。 (3) 可能:「~できる」。 (4) 目的:「~するため(のもの)である」。 should do (1) 義務:「~すべきである」、当然:「~したほうがよい」。 (2) 可能性・推量:「~するはずである」。 ということで、be to doの(2) とshould doの(1) が共通で、かつ添付文章の該当部分もこれですから、「am I to doは、should I doとほとんど同意」と言えるでしょう。 >その場合なぜ後者を使わないのでしょうか? ⇒これは、答えるのがむずかしいですね。 私は一応、以下のように考えています。 問題のam I to doは、「(チェックアウトカウンターの女性の)胸の谷間の入れ墨ついて、私は無視すべきですか、確認のためにもっと近づいて見るべきか、素敵なタトゥーだと褒めるべきか?」のあとですね。3回のshould「~すべきであるか」の後に、be to「何をしたらよいか」が続く格好です。 3回のそれぞれで、具体的な行為の種類をあげながら質問するので、「それをすべきか否か」となったたが、最後はそれをまとめて、あるいはすべてを含めて行為の選択を尋ねる段なので、具体的行為に特化しない、より一般的抽象的な表現「何をしたらいいか」となった、と考えられます。 つまりShould I ~? とWhat am I to ?とは、「ほとんど同意」でありながらも、その間にかすかな違いがあって、前者は「~をすべきか?」(義務)を、後者は「何をしたらいいか?」(行為の選択)の質問を表すための「差異化の意識」が働いているのではないか、と推測されるわけです。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (1)

• Chiba_USA
  • ベストアンサー率42% (6/14)
回答No.2

この用例の場合、結果的に『ほぼ』同義になるのですけれど、筆者がShould I, Should I, Should I と3度行動の案を繰り返した後であえてam I を使っているように、Be to doとShould doは微妙にニュアンスが違います。 Be to do は『Be』に主題が置かれ、Should doは『do』に主題が置かれます。 つまり、I should do は『何をするか?(do)』がメインの主題ですが、 I am to do はI am(human, gentleman, boy など)と同じく『自分』が主題なわけです。 この場合(I am to do)の行動(do)は、自分が置かれた立場や義務・自分自身の存在、時に運命のような状況を説明しています。 Should do はそれが誰であってもあまり違いが無い行動を指す場合が多いです。 例えば、 I am to stay here は、I must stay here, I was born to stay here, It is my destiny to stay here, I decided to stay here, I need to be here などとより近くなります。(勿論、状況や前後の文に左右されますが) I should stay hereは、単に私はここに居るべきだ。 例文の場合(キャッシャーの胸の谷間にちらっと見える入れ墨)は、そこまで真剣な状況では無いので、Should Should Should を3回繰り返して、What am I to do と続ける筆者の言葉遊びの部分も強いと思います。

関連するQ&A

• thatが文頭にくる場合・・接続詞?

that についてお聞きしたいことがあります。 And I cannot bear to think of her being mistress of this house! That I should be forced to make way for her and live to see her take my place in it! この that は文法的にどういう働きをしているのでしょうか? お願いします。

• 和訳お願いします

少し長めですが、和訳をお願いいたします。 Now, at the end of this virtual visit, I ask the mother if there’s anything else I can do for her today. She says no, she’s set, she just wanted to know if she should bring her baby to the emergency room, and she’s relieved she doesn’t have to. I say great, that she should feel free to call us back if she has any other questions.

• よろしくお願いします

I am a very private person, but I have a family member who asks too many questions (of everyone) all the time -- silly questions, personal questions, medical questions, etc. I have spoken to her privately about this -- telling her that I am not comfortable with the constant questions -- multiple times. However, she will not stop. She says it doesn't bother her. I have tried to change the subject when she gets into a line of questioning; she brings it back. It has gotten so that I try to avoid being around her. 最後のセンテンスの訳を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 訳を教えてください

I am a very private person, but I have a family member who asks too many questions (of everyone) all the time -- silly questions, personal questions, medical questions, etc. I have spoken to her privately about this -- telling her that I am not comfortable with the constant questions -- multiple times. However, she will not stop. She says it doesn't bother her. I have tried to change the subject when she gets into a line of questioning; she brings it back. she brings it backの訳を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 話法の問題が解けません。

話法の問題が解けません。 1. She said to him, "Please help me with her homework." She ( ) him ( ) help her with her homework. 2.She said to me, "Do you remember me?" She ( ) me ( ) I remembered her. 3. She said to him, "What do you mean?" She ( ) him ( ) ( ) ( ). 4. She said to him, "Let's talk about it." She ( ) to him that ( ) ( ) talk about it. 5. She said, "How happy I am!" She said with joy that she was ( ) happy. 6.He said, "May God help me!" He ( ) that God ( ) help him. 7. Yesterday she said to me, "I'll see you tomorrow". Yesterday she told me that she would see me ( ).

• should it come up

I am a mentee in a "future women leaders" program at my organization. I am paired with a director of a different department. She and I get along very well, but she is not on speaking terms with the director of my department, and has gone so far as to file a complaint against my immediate supervisor, a woman I respect greatly. So far, my mentor has not reached out to me to organize our first mentoring session. Perhaps it is because she is very busy, but I suspect it is also because she is basically at war with my department, going so far as to instruct some of her subordinates not to speak to my colleagues (although they still speak to me). I sent an initial, "Thank you, and I'm looking forward to working with you" email to her upon the human resources department informing us that we were paired together. I have not reached out to her again and haven't heard from her. I am not sure how I would handle any discussions about my department, in particular my supervisors, should it come up. should it come upの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• troll the avenues

At an amusement park recently, I was unable to win the woman I'm dating the oversized stuffed giraffe she desired. I tried valiantly, but winning wasn't in the cards for me. She forgave me, but I'm afraid she harbors more resentment than she let on. Since then her behavior has been peculiar. She emails me pictures of giraffes, stretches her neck to frightening lengths, and got a giraffe tattoo that extends from her wrist to her shoulder. I know the ability to win a stuffed animal for a lover is a potent measure of a man's worth. My failure has left my masculinity sagging. Is there anything I can do to reaffirm my manhood and salvage my relationship? Or should I troll the avenues of Manhattan in search of a lady whose faith I have not shattered? troll the avenuesはどのような意味でしょうか?辞書にはそれらしき意味がありませんでした。よろしくお願いします

• 以下の英文についてお尋ねします。被害届

「その警察官は彼女にセクハラの被害届を受理する準備はできているが、するかどうか真剣に考えた後で彼を訴えるように勧めた(アドバイスした)。」 The police officer told her that they were rady to accept her sexual harassment complaint,but advised her to sue him after she thought seriously about whether she should do it or not. after 後の表現で冗語的だとは考えるのですが意味を成しているでようか?またafter以降would thinkとはできないと考え、(時の副詞節中の未来willの過去形として)、またshe should think~ should do itとするのも冗語だと思うので、after thinking seriously about whether she should~.とするのもありかなとも(after前置詞用法)考えます。、「するかどうか真剣に考えた後訴えるよう勧めた」と表現するのに良い表現方法はありますでしょうか? よろしくお願いいたします。

• 以下の英語表現についてお尋ねします。被害届

「その警察官は彼女にセクハラの被害届を受理する準備はできているが、するかどうか真剣に考えた後で彼を訴えるように勧めた(アドバイスした)。」 The police officer told her that they were rady to accept her sexual harassment complaint,but advised her to sue him after she thought seriously about whether she should do it or not. after 後の表現で冗語的だとは考えるのですが意味を成しているでようか?またafter以降would thinkとはできないと考え、(時の副詞節中の未来willの過去形として)、またshe should think~ should do itとするのも冗語だと思うのですが、「するかどうか真剣に考えた後訴えるよう勧めた」と表現するのに良い表現方法はありますでしょうか? よろしくお願いいたします。

• wouldの意味

My mom used to be quite anti-smoking. She said she had never tried it and never wanted to, that it smelled terrible, and that it was like burning up money. Recently, I started noticing the smell of cigarette smoke on her. I peeked into her purse and found an opened cigarette pack! Why would she do this? Why would she do this?のwouldはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします