• ベストアンサー
  • 困ってます

double down

Q. Drunk Driving Prevention Ends Friendship: I threw a Halloween party this weekend, and my good friend Alicia came. During the party Alicia drank a lot and became very drunk. Even so, she wanted to drive home at the end of the night. I took her keys and refused to return them to her. I offered to call a cab or a sober friend to drive her home and offered to let her stay in my spare room. Alicia freaked out at me and demanded I return her keys to her. She said she was a grown woman and could make her own decisions. I still refused to give her the keys to her car, so eventually she called another friend to drive her home. The next day Alicia emailed me to demand the return of her car keys—I told her and her friend, when she left, that she could pick up her car as soon as she sobered up—and to tell me our eight-year friendship was over. She accused me of being controlling, disrespectful, crazy, and totally out of line. I am hurt by Alicia’s decision to end our friendship, but I don’t think I did the wrong thing by preventing her from driving drunk. What should I have done? Should I bother reaching out to Alicia and apologizing? A: An apology is owed here: Alicia to you. It would have been nice when she sobered up if she said she appreciated your saving her from killing herself or someone else. Instead she’s doubling down on her right to break the law and endanger the lives of everyone on the road. doubling down on her rightはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします。

共感・応援の気持ちを伝えよう!

• 回答数2
  • 閲覧数118
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • 回答No.2
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15060/32180)

doubling down on her rightはどのような意味でしょうか? double down は、もともとブラックジャック(カードゲームの一種)に使われた賭け方ですが、比喩的には「リスクの多い行動に出る」という意味です。   https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=double+down  https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=double%20down  (謝るべきなのは彼女の方なのに、彼女は、違法の飲酒運転で、路上にいる他の人全部を危険に晒すという)リスクの多い行動に出ている、という意味でしょう。

共感・感謝の気持ちを伝えよう!

質問者からのお礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• double down

Our son is in a serious relationship and I believe an engagement is in the offing. We like this young woman, but have reservations that I am struggling with. It's clear our son spends a great deal of time and energy taking care of his girlfriend and making her feel secure and content, although she is rarely content for long. He makes all the food, goes out for her coffee, makes all the reservations, plans trips, etc. This never-ending support over her workplace and social worries seems awfully one-sided, and my son has confided that it can be exhausting and frustrating. He has suggested she see a therapist for anxiety or depression. His siblings share my concerns. They have reached out to her in numerous ways but she is usually tired or busy. Is there anything useful to say here? Or double down on being as kind and generous as I can be? double downはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• double down

Q. Husband telling people I have borderline personality disorder: I recently found out from a friend that my husband has been telling our friends that I have borderline personality disorder. I was completely flabbergasted and shocked, because I have never been diagnosed with this in my life. I confronted my husband, and he refused to talk to me about it, saying he didn’t feel “safe” talking to me. I immediately made an appointment with my therapist and explained the situation to her. She reassured me that I do not, in fact, have BPD. I again talked to my husband, told him to stop lying, and that I wouldn’t stand for it. He agreed but did not apologize. A few weeks later, I checked his texts (I know—cardinal sin of marriage), and saw that he had drunk-texted his colleague at 11:30 at night that I had BPD. (He was so drunk that night that he threw up after he DROVE himself home.) I’m at a loss. We’ve been having marriage problems due to lack of trust. He lies to my face frequently, e.g. will tell me he was at work all day, and later I will find out that he had spent the whole day at the shopping mall. Or he will come home late reeking of alcohol but insist he never had a drop to drink and was at the office the whole time, and later I find the receipts showing he had gone out drinking before coming home. I think this is the last straw, but I don’t know what to do. He has been trying to be a better husband in a lot of ways (has stepped up his contribution to housework, is learning to cook, makes lots of thoughtful gestures, etc.), but he continues to lie and refuses to apologize. He just says I’m in denial about BPD and asks why it bothers me so much that he tells other people. He says he’s just worried about me and “looking for advice from friends.” A: I think this is the last straw too, and I think I know what you should do: I think you should leave him. This is abusive gaslighting of the highest order (“a form of mental abuse which a victim is manipulated into doubting their own memory, perception and sanity”). You have plenty of reasons to end your marriage already, between his chronic lying and drinking, but when you add to that list the fact that he has repeatedly lied about your mental health to your friends and refused to apologize (!!!) when confronted with this fact, what you have is less of a marriage and more of a hostage situation. I don’t believe your husband is worried about you in the least. I think he’s interested in making you doubt yourself, in feeling isolated, in keeping you in the dark, and in controlling you. I don’t care how many dishes he washes. This is a person who will ruin your life, and I hope you can find somewhere else to sleep tonight. Don’t let his half-hearted attempts to pick up more dirty socks convince you that you’re suffering from a mental disorder you don’t have, then doubling down by suggesting you’re “in denial” when you call him out on his vicious lies. ここでのdouble downはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• pick up some groceries

My good friend injured her back, so I offered to help out with chores and errands while she recovers. One of the errands was to pick up some groceries, which included items for a barbecue party. pick up some groceriesはどのような意味でしょうか? あと、ここhttps://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=cookoutにある・We went to the park and have a cook-out. : 公園に行ってバーベキューをしました。 はなぜhaveと現在形になっているのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

その他の回答 (1)

• 回答No.1
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (7813/9650)

>doubling down on her rightはどのような意味でしょうか? ⇒「(彼女は)二重の法律違反をして(路上の人命を危険に晒しているのです)」。 downを、例えば、https://ejje.weblio.jp/content/downで見ると、その「7a」や「成句」に、「抑圧して、害して」とあります。 本件はそのdownの名詞的用法と考えられますので、 double down on one's right:「二重に法律違反する、二重違反・違法を犯す」 という成句的用法を考えることができるかも知れません。 「二重の」のうちの一つは、「飲酒運転(道交法)」、もう一つは、「潜在的無差別加害(民法)」というところではないかと思います。

共感・感謝の気持ちを伝えよう!

関連するQ&A

• singled out

Dear Annie: I have an 88-year-old friend who can't hear and refuses to get tested for a hearing aid. I have talked with her many times about this situation, but she either makes excuses about her hearing problem or gets angry and refuses to discuss the issue. She just smiles and nods when people try to talk to her or tells them she can't understand them. Talking on the phone with her is impossible. And her hearing problem has gotten her into trouble when she's at appointments with doctors, as she sometimes misses what they tell her. The cost is not an issue, because she could easily afford hearing aids, and I have offered to drive her to any appointments. You cannot have a conversation with her, and she is becoming more isolated and distracted in her interactions with others. I am losing patience with her. Help! -- Frustrated Friend Dear Frustrated Friend: Denial can be a dangerous coping mechanism, but it's a coping mechanism nonetheless -- so your friend will cling to it until she's ready to let go. Continue encouraging her to get her hearing tested, and even suggest getting your own hearing checked at the same time. If she were to feel less singled out, she might feel less defensive and more open to the idea. If she were to feel less singled outの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 意味を教えてください

Yesterday my boyfriend’s mother offered to pay for some classes in cake decorating for me so that I can further my experience in baking to get a better job. I’m unemployed looking for a bakery job right now, which is why she offered to pay, and she wants me to pay her back by doing housework for her over the weekends. As much as I would love to take this opportunity, our relationship has been strained because of the circumstances of how her son and I came to be. strainedとhow her son and I came to beの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 教えて下さい。

訳を教えて下さい。 At the end of the race, she looked over to the crowd. Then she jogged to her friend who was holding the flag high. He handed it to her and she ran with it over her shoulders like a cape. She ran 50m holding that flag.This was a declaration of her pride, and of her love for herself and her people. 訳:レースが終わって彼女は観衆の方を見渡した。その時、彼女は国旗を高く持つ友人のとこへゆっくり走った。彼は…。彼女は国旗を握って50m走った。これは彼女の誇りでもある宣言で…。 特にHe handed it to her and she ran with it over her shoulders like a cape. とThis was a declaration of her pride, and of her love for herself and her people.の訳し方が分からないので教えて下さい。お願いします。

• 英文解釈に関しての質問です。

When she had time to spare,she attended to her garden, out of which she often gathered a few herbs to present to her father for his supper. という文で 2行目の「out of which」の役割が良く分かりません。 which が her garden を指すのであれば、 out ofはいらなくても良いのでは?と思ってしまいます。 out of whichでなくてはならない理由を教えてください。

• 時制について

My wife and I live out in the country, and there are no children near where we live. Our 10-year-old daughter has friends at school and participates in other activities but shows no interest in visiting friends or having them visit her. I’ve offered to drive, but she declines. I’ve offeredはなぜ過去形ではなく現在完了形なのでしょうか?あと、なぜshe declinesは過去形ではなく現在形なのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

I have a co-worker that recently lost about 50 pounds. I am very happy for her, and I applaud her efforts and results. Earlier this week she offered up some of her “big girl” clothes to me. I was taken aback at first, and then was gracious and just said “OK.” She said she had shorts that were too big for her now, but she thought I would like them. This is a working relationship; we talk about some personal family stuff, but we have no friendship outside of the office. This woman can also be a bit passive-aggressive regarding her weight loss, in that she brings food in and makes up plates for the rest of us to eat. offer upはofferとはどう違うのでしょうか?あと、brings food in and makes up platesの意味も教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 訳していただけますか?

この部分だけ理解出来ないのですが。。。 この前後の文章は子供達が元気そうでよかったとかまったく違う内容です。 よろしくお願い致します。 I sent an E-Mail to one of your friends. Her picture was of her and her 2 children at Disneyland. She hasn't written to me, so maybe she doesn't want a friend in America

• どのような意味でしょうか

Our daughter is 25 years old and lives at home. She rarely speaks to her father or me, and stays in her room whenever she is home. She'll eat dinner without dialogue, staying glued to her phone, watching videos or texting her friends in front of me. We've offered $1,500/month toward an apartment to give her SOME incentive. https://www.arcamax.com/healthandspirit/lifeadvice/askamy/s-2128431?fs offered $1,500/month toward an apartmentはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• pull me down

I am a young guy in university undergoing a gender transition. Since coming out at the start of this academic year, I have never been so centered and calm — and I am happy with life. I have finally gotten to a point where I can allow myself to get into a serious relationship with someone who truly respects my identity and sees me as nothing but male. The only issue I have is that my mum is in total denial. She has known now for two and a half years but will not respect my pronouns or my new name. I tried to bring her along in the transition from the beginning, but after two years trying to convince her this is real, I couldn't wait any longer and I finally started hormones. All of our arguments center on her being uncomfortable with my transition. It's framed as concern for me. My mum has never been happy in her life, and I cannot allow her to pull me down with her. I struggle terribly knowing that I am betraying her perception of me and taking away her little girl. But this is who I am; I can't do anything about it. The stuff she says is offensive and wrong and try as I might to understand, I am losing respect for her. pull me downと try as I might to understandはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 訳をよろしくお願いします

I'm at my wit's end over the most ridiculous disagreement with my friend. When we go out, she never drives us. She drives to my house and parks. Then she gets in my car and I always drive us to the restaurant, party, event, whatever. It's not about gas, and it's not about designating a driver. A glass of wine is about it for both of us. It's not about gas, and it's not about designating a driver. A glass of wine is about it for both of us. の文脈に合った訳をよろしくお願いします