• ベストアンサー

to use ではなぜ駄目か

She lifted the elderly person with a machine. I gathered information about the machine on the Internet. I learned that there are many useful machines (use) in different places. 括弧の中を適当な形に直せ(1語とは限らない)という問題です 模範解答は used でした to use でも良いと思いますがいかがですか  駄目な場合は、理由もお聞かせ願いたいと思います

• 英語
  • 回答数7
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9717/12085)
回答No.3

「補足コメント」を拝見しました。 まったくおっしゃるとおりだと思います。つまり、useful machines for me to useのfor meも、「容易に想像できる」ので省略してもさしつかえないと言えますね。 では、この場合、なぜ正解ではないのでしょうか。― おそらく、「to useが《最もふさわしい答え》ではない」、というのがその理由だと思います。 この問題のように「1つだけを答える形式の設問では、暗黙のうちに「最もふさわしい答え」が要求されるんですね。もし、「可能なものを全て答えなさい」という形式の出題でしたら、(usedやto be usedと並んで)to useも正解とされること間違いなしでしょうね。 それにしても、問題を正確に読み取るのはむずかしいですね。それゆえ、「問題を正確に読み取ることができれば、それだけで半分答えができている」などと言われるわけです。

shingo5k
質問者

補足

ご回答ありがとうございます 関連質問させて頂きます to不定詞の形容詞用法で先行詞がto不定詞の目的語になる場合 その意味は以下の2つ以外にもあるのでしょうか? (1)義務(すべき) I have a lot of homework to do today. (2)用途・目的(~用の) These are bottles of water to drink.

その他の回答 (6)

• Nakay702
回答No.7

再度の「補足コメント」を拝見しました。 >to不定詞の形容詞用法で先行詞がto不定詞の目的語になる場合 >その意味は以下の2つ以外にもあるのでしょうか? >(1)義務(すべき) I have a lot of homework to do today. >(2)用途・目的(~用の) These are bottles of water to drink. ⇒to不定詞の形容詞用法で、「先行詞(修飾される名詞)がto不定詞の目的語になる場合」、その意味はご指摘の2つくらいに絞られると思います。 ただ、「目的語になる場合」と紛らわしいものに、「to不定詞が先行詞に対してその内容を説明する場合」があります。 例:Summer is the best season to visit those islands.  「夏は、それらの島々を訪問するのに最もいい季節です」。 もちろん、「先行詞がto不定詞の主語になる場合」もありますね。 例:There are few rich people to envy the poor.  「貧乏人をうらやむ金持ちはあまりいません」。 つまり、「to不定詞の限定用法」は、3つに分けられる(先行詞がto不定詞の主語になる/目的語になる/to不定詞が先行詞を説明する)、ということになりますね。 さらに、といいますか、ちなみに、to不定詞の形容詞用法には、このような限定用法とは別に「叙述用法」というのがあって、その中味も2つに分けられます(to不定詞が主格補語になる/目的格補語になる)。 例:We found the report to be false.(目的格補語)  「我々は、その報告が偽りであることを知った」。 以上、少々はみ出しましたが、再々伸まで。

shingo5k
質問者

お礼

複数回にわたりご説明頂き、ありがとうございました。 だいぶ解った気がします

回答No.6

無駄な単語を省いて、 There are many machines to use in different places. =There are many machines which we should use in different places. (様々な場所で使用すべき機械がある。) *能動態の不定詞の形容詞用法 There are many machines to be used in different places. =There are many machines which are to be used in different places. (様々な場所で使用されるべき機械がある。) *受動態の不定詞の形容詞用法 There are many machines used in different places. =There are many machines that are used in different places. (様々な場所で使用されている機械がある。) *過去分詞の限定用法。 名詞の後から修飾。 なので、to useもto be usedもなんだかおかしい気がします。だって、言いたいことは、 I gathered information about the machine on the Internet. I learned that there are many useful machines used in different places. その機械についてネット上で調べた。 様々な有用な機械が色んな場所で使用されていることが分かった。 でしょ? 「使用すべき機械」や、「使用されるべき機械」をネットで調べてみつけたわけではないでしょ? 分かったのは、「機械が使用されている」事でしょ?

shingo5k
質問者

補足

ご回答ありがとうございます 私の疑問はまさにこの点です。 先行詞を目的語とする不定詞の形容詞用法の場合 「義務」の意味合いを持つほかに「用途・目的」の意味合い を持つ用法があるはずです。(a bottle of water to drink) 後者で考えると There are many machines to use in different places. =There are many machines for using in different places. という「用途」の用法があると思います。 これですと、used の文とは意味が異なりますが、内容としても おかしくない様に思えますが如何でしょうか

回答No.5

時間ができたので,No.4の追記。 >機械が行為主体である >there are many useful machines to work in different places. >はありうる。 動詞が work ではなく use でも,能動態でありえます。たとえば, there are many useful machines to use electricity (atomic power, renewable energy etc.) there are many useful machines to use minimum space. there are many useful machines to use computer network.

回答No.4

「お礼」もいえない中学生のようですが,コーヒー・ブレイクでくだらんことを書きましょう。私は「おっしゃるとおり」だとは考えません。 It is a right thing to do. はなぜ to be done でなくてもいいのか。私の感覚によれば(文法じゃないよ・笑),thing は行為しないので,自然と行為主体がヒトだと推定できるからでしょう。 There are many books to read in bed. Poverty is a difficult problem to solve. なども同じ。 いっぽう,機械が行為主体である there are many useful machines to work in different places. はありうる。だからこの問題では,明確に to be used と受動態にするほうがいいと思います。能動態の to use を間違いと断言するほどの英語力は,私にはないですけどね。

• Nakay702
回答No.2

>to use でも良いと思いますがいかがですか >駄目な場合は、理由もお聞かせ願いたいと思います ⇒確かに、一見to use でも良さそうに見えますね。 ただし、この括弧内の語句は、直前のuseful machinesを修飾するわけですから、to useだけでは「(有用な機械が)使うための有用な機械」を意味してしまいます。ということは、例えば、「私が(それらを)使うための有用な機械」for me to use (them)のように変形しないといけないことになります。 ところが、「括弧の中を適当な形に直せ」という指示は、「useの変化形のうちの適当な形」に直せという趣旨であって、「余計な語句を補ってもよい」わけではありません。つまり、「for meやthemを付け足すわけにはいかない」、ということになります。 ですから、結局、この指示条件を満たす語形はusedかto be usedしかない、ということになります。そして、「1語とは限らない」という指示は、「1語でもよく、2語以上でもよい」ことを意味するので、「前者をとればusedを、後者をとればto be usedを正解とする」、という出題意図だと思います。

shingo5k
質問者

補足

ご回答ありがとうございます There are things to do in New York. この文は使って良い文だと思います これと同じ文構造だと思います。 つまり for us が容易に想像できる場合は省略して よいのではないでしょうか

回答No.1

模範解答が used で,わざわざ「1語とは限らない」といっているのなら,to be used でも正解なんでしょう。 We have many useful machines to use in different places. なら「あり」かなと私は感じます。私は「文法的になんちゃら」と説明できませんが(笑),この文ではヒトが文を支配しているので,「ヒトが使う」という能動表現,すなわち to use が使える。 there are many useful machines は機械が文を支配しているので,受動表現 used または to be used がしっくりくる。 なお,useful と used が重なっているので,私はあまりいい表現だとは思いません。 there are many advanced machines なら重なりません。

関連するQ&A

• can i s tyll get o know u ne way?

前回質問した続きなのですが、QNo.3765436 なんですが、I've been use taxis. といれたら lol im sorry than it must of been a different person, but can i s tyll get o know u ne way? ふざけて入れてきてるような感じがするのですが、なんといっているのでしょうか? 違う人だった。でも・・・・・・ わかりません。。 そして反応しないのも手ですが、もしするとしたら、どう英語で返し方がありますか?たとえばでいいので教えてください。

• 日本語訳してください!!

日本語訳してください!! I know that you speak English, and probably quite well, too. But what kind of English do you use? In the UK each local area is home to a dialect where the words and grammar are different. A person from Scotland might say, "I saw a wee bairn down by the loch," which means, "I saw a small 5 child near the lake.

• 英語の問題が分からないので教えてください。

まず問題文の意味が分かりません。問題文の意味と選択肢の英文の意味を教えてください。 Here are some useful expressions you can use at different stages of a presentation. Group the expressions according to their use. A: This evening, I intend to show you.... B: I'd like to finish today with... C: Let me just run through what we'll be covering over the next hour. D: I'll return to this issuein just a few minutes. E: And finally,... F: Let's movea on now to... G: I'd like to change focus at this point Beginning… Changing topic… Summing up…

• 機械翻訳を綺麗な英語に直してください

I came to tell the separation today. I read your e-mail repeatedly.I searched your sincerity with utmost effort.However, it is not anywhere. I found insincerity and self-righteousness. I cannot accept you.I feel that you do not accept me.Probably you will be good in anyone.I need a person loving only me.I obtained an opportunity to think about the life from you. And I pray that you will be happier than ever before in my life and different places 以上の文を伝えることになりました。もちろん日本語でとも考えましたがうまく表現できません。そこで自動翻訳の力を借りある程度自分でしましたが、どうも綺麗な英語では無いようにも思えます。 きちんと相手に伝わるようにどこが間違っているかおしえていただけないでしょうか?

• 英作文の添削をお願いします

非常に拙い文章ですみません。 明らかにヘンなところだけでもOKですので、添削していただければ助かります。 ここはこう言った方がかっこいい!とかも嬉しいです。 私としては特に、「この状態では完璧に仕事をこなすことができないと思い」のところが不安です。 このままでは「仕事を全くこなすことができない」にとれませんか? I had learned Italian language in Italy before. After I have returned to Japan in 2007, I worked in an office where I helped candidates who want to study various arts in Italy. For this work, I could use mainly Italian language to communicate with staffs of the art school in Italy, but then it was also necessary writing and sometimes also speaking English because of various nationalities of candidates and students. Since I had learned English at university I can use it anyway. But I think that I couldn’t be useful perfectly in this situation so I left my job. Then I looked for other jobs which proper to me, but in Japan many works which are related to Italy require also ability of English. For this reason I decided to learn it seriously. I believe learning English will be much help for me.

• 次の英文を和訳してください。

Scientific investigation is not only used to advance science - sometimes scientific procedures are used to investigate a crime or to provide evidence in a criminal trial. This application of scientific methods for legal use is the fast-growing area known as "forensics." For example, when DNA, blood, a fingerprint, hair, or other tissue is found at a crime scene, investigators can often match the sample to the person from whom it came. Now we have learned that DNA samples that are found at the crime scene may be able to give us information about a person's eye color. As exciting as this development is, we should keep in mind that matching DNA from a sample to a suspect is still not very accurate. In fact, the most important use of DNA samples may be to eliminate people from suspicion. It is not possible to state with nearly 100% certainty that a particular DNA sample is from a particular person. However, it is possible to state with certainly that a particular sample did not come from a particular person. In recent years many people who were wrongly convicted of crimes have been cleared because their DNA was completely different from DNA found at the scene. Forensic medicine is very important, but it must be used very carefully. Nobody should be convicted of a crime based solely on DNA evidence.

• 英作文の添削をお願いします

英作文の添削・アドバイスをお願いします ものの見方や好みは人さまざまである。たとえば,駅前のハンバーガー店は,人々にとってどのような意味を持つだろうか。多くの人にとっては,ハンバーガーを味わう場であろう。しかし,肉が苦手な私にとっては,ハンバーガーを楽しむというよりは,仕事帰りにちょっと立ち寄り,コーヒー一杯で一日の疲れをいやす,くつろぎの場である。本を持ち込み,書斎代わりに使うことも少なくない。 There are various view points and preference according to each person. For instance, what do hamburger shops in front of stations mean for people? For the most people, they are the places for tasting hamburger. As for me, however, they aren't the places for it. I rather stop by them on my way home from work and use them as a relaxing place with a cup of coffee for getting rid of fatigue of a whole day. I also often use them as a room for reading books, bringing books there.

• [英語] 間違っている箇所を教えて下さい><

1. Kenji must ((1)do) ((2)extremely well) in his exams ((3)because) he ((4)got into) the top university in his area. 2. You have been ((1)such a great help) to me. If ((2)did not meet) you here three years ago, I ((3)would) be a totally ((4)different) person. 3. Mary ((1)spent) the day ((2)help her) ((3)elderly) parents ((4)move into) their new apartment. 4. Wounded ((1)by) an assassin's bullet while ((2)he) ((3)was watching) a play at the Ford Theater, ((4)death came to Lincoln) a few hours after being shot.

• People began to use the

People began to use the word“cruising"to describe the act of driving in order to watch others while being seen. 英文の和訳を教えて下さい。

• よろしくお願いします

I'm a 15 year old trans guy in high school. I came out to my parents earlier last year (which was unbelievably terrifying) and they seemed okay with it at the time. Except, well, now things are a bit different. First off, when I first came out to them they refused to let me go by a different name, since my birth name is technically unisex. Even after I explained to them that since it's only ever been used femininely for me and therefore causes all sorts of bad feelings, they wouldn't budge. I figured, whatever, I can deal with it until I get my name officially changed. Their pronoun usage has been... questionable. They still won't use my actual pronouns for more than a sentence even after I correct them. Their pronoun usage has been... questionable. They still won't use my actual pronouns for more than a sentence even after I correct them. の意味と解説をよろしくお願いします