How to Motivate Your Unemployed Boyfriend?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Learn how to motivate your unemployed boyfriend to take a job he doesn't want with these effective strategies.
  • Discover ways to defuse your boyfriend's mother and stop the pressure on him until your career advances.
  • Find out how to handle the financial challenges of supporting your unemployed boyfriend and the impact on your own family.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

よろしくお願いします

My boyfriend “Paul” has been unemployed since college. I really wouldn’t mind supporting him financially, but I don’t make enough money yet. He doesn’t want to go back to school, won’t take any job outside our industry, and his independent projects never get past the “concept” stage. Lately, Paul’s mother has started belittling him and threatening to withdraw financial support—which doesn’t motivate him, just makes him more depressed. My mother helps too, but I worry my continued dependence on her is forcing her to keep a high-stress job that’s bad for her health and happiness. Without their help we’d be flat broke. How can I motivate Paul to take a job he doesn’t want? Alternately, can I somehow defuse Paul’s mother and get her to stop pressuring her son until my career advances? Alternately「交互に」?とはどういうことでしょうか?あと、defuse Paul’s motherの意味も教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4111/5344)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.2

> How can I motivate Paul to take a job he doesn’t want? Alternately, can I somehow defuse Paul’s mother and get her to stop pressuring her son until my career advances?  alternate という語は連続性を感じさせます。「これが済んだかと思えばまたあれをやらなくちゃならない」 みたいな。ここでは alternately という副詞の形で用いられています。  気に入らない仕事はやろうとしないポールをやる気にさせるにはどうしたらいいでしょうか。それと、わたしが昇進して収入が増えるまでの間、ポールの母親がカリカリして、ポールに口うるさく言うのを止める手立てはないものでしょうか。  一方でポールに対する対策、他方でポールの母親に対する対策、どちらに対するアドバイスも求めているので、「ついでに、こちらについてもアドバイスして欲しいのですが」 という気持ちが alternately という語になって表れたのではあるまいかと想像します。  defuse の fuse は爆弾の信管のこと。defuse で 「信管を外す」 となるところから、ここでは 「感情を爆発させるのを抑止する」 というニュアンスで使われていると分かります。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (1)

• cbm51901
  • ベストアンサー率67% (2671/3943)
回答No.3

"Alternately" は、ここでは「代わりに」という意味です。"Alternatively" を使用した方がより適切だったかもしれません。 "defuse" は「(爆発物などを)解除する」という意味で、ここでは「(圧力を)和らげる」ということです。 つまり、"defuse Paul's mother" とは「(仕事に就かないポールに対して何かと口うるさい)ポールの母親から、ポールを解放する」ということです。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• go get a job

My mother has tried to motivate him to go get a job, goにはどのような意味が込められているでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• want him out

Two years ago my family had a run of bad luck, which landed us in a homeless shelter. I got an apartment fairly quickly, and it's mine and my daughter's. My mother was supposed to move in rent-free, but she brought her boyfriend, who I didn't want here. He's still here and barely contributes to the expenses. I recently lost my job and he promised to help out more financially, but he hasn't. He continues to mooch. This has caused so much stress between my mother and me. Hate is a strong word, but I hate him and want him out. want him outは「いなくなってほしい」でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 意味を教えてください

Yesterday my boyfriend’s mother offered to pay for some classes in cake decorating for me so that I can further my experience in baking to get a better job. I’m unemployed looking for a bakery job right now, which is why she offered to pay, and she wants me to pay her back by doing housework for her over the weekends. As much as I would love to take this opportunity, our relationship has been strained because of the circumstances of how her son and I came to be. strainedとhow her son and I came to beの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• flew her out

My father began dating four years after my mother passed away from a terrible bout with cancer. He and I have always been close; in fact, I have always considered him to be one of my best friends. But since he started dating he has changed. I just traveled across the country for a family funeral and discovered that he has a new love in his life, and that he flew her out to see all of our extended family. My dying grandmother got to meet her, but I didn't even know her name! flew her outはどのような意味でしょうか?あと、got toはcouldに置き換えられるでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 和訳お願いします

少し長めですが、和訳をお願いいたします。 Now, at the end of this virtual visit, I ask the mother if there’s anything else I can do for her today. She says no, she’s set, she just wanted to know if she should bring her baby to the emergency room, and she’s relieved she doesn’t have to. I say great, that she should feel free to call us back if she has any other questions.

• よろしくお願いします

I am getting married next spring, and my fiancé and I are very excited to move to the next phase of our relationship. Wedding planning has been surprisingly easy, save for my mother. My mother has an opinion on everything in that she wants everything to involve her. She wants to pick out music for her to be seated to. pick out music for her to be seated toの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

My mother died 10 years ago. My father, "Lucifer," started dating "Rebecca" within a week of my mom's funeral. After two years, my father informed me that he was going to disinherit my brother and me in favor of "Rebecca" and her three spawn. I begged my father not to do this, and told him he'd never see me or my kids again if he married her and disinherited us. He said he didn't care, and went ahead. Fast-forward to the present. Rebecca has died, and Lucifer is trying to "mend fences." Meanwhile, he admitted to me that he has spent my mother's entire trust on Rebecca and her three spawn, so I am out the money I was supposed to get from my deceased mother after my father died. 1 ここでのspawnはどのような意味でしょうか? 2 entire trustのtrustはどのような意味でしょうか? 3 out the moneyはどのような意味でしょうか? 以上、よろしくお願いします

• 何か省略されているのでしょうか

My mother chooses to hide the fact that her boyfriend is a pedophile. He abused me 15 years ago, when I was a teenager, and it still haunts me. Mom broke up with him for a short period of time, but they got back together, and the abuse started again. She didn't want to press charges because it would mess up his retirement. She is still seeing this man. I have had great therapy. My wonderful husband and I have a 5-year-old daughter. We used to allow her to stay overnight at Grandma's until she told us that Grandma took her to her boyfriend's house. I wrote my mother a letter and told her that as long as this man is in her life, we wouldn't be. we wouldn't beは何か省略されているのでしょうか?意味も教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

My mother is truly unhinged. After my dad died, my mom sold their condo and moved in with us. It’s been more than seven years now. She hates my husband and has always had issues with co-workers, neighbors, friends, and family members. Her own sister hasn’t spoken to her in 25 years. I’m an only child, so I’ve always felt I have to just suck it up and deal, but her narcissistic ways have caused me to hate her behavior and, truthfully, to hate her. Mom is a young sixtysomething but extremely lazy and rarely leaves the house. Recently, one of my aunts told me that my mother seems to be obsessed with the idea of having my husband arrested. If he so much as drops a glass and curses in frustration, she’s going to call the cops and report him for violence (the last thing he could ever be). the last thing he could ever beの意味を教えてください。後に何か省略されているのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• parse

(相談投稿) Hi Carolyn: My friend's boyfriend passed away last week and the funeral is tomorrow. My friend told her roommate that she didn't want her friends going to the funeral if they were going just for her, and I'm torn on whether to go. Although I liked her boyfriend and considered him a friend, my connection to him was through her and I would mostly go to support her. I want to respect her wishes, but I'm also worried that not going is the wrong thing, and that she will look back and be upset I wasn't there. The service is being held six hours away from me, so I've got to figure it out today. -- To Go or Not to Go Maybe it's just me, but I find "her wishes" almost impossible to parse. parseは「理解する」くらいで良いでしょうか?よろしくお願いします