Growing Up to Be More of the Same and Not Taking Shit: Understanding Their Meanings

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Have you ever wondered about the meaning of phrases like 'grew up to be more of the same' and 'doesn't take shit'? In this article, we will explore the meaning behind these expressions and how they can shape one's attitude and behavior.
  • 'Grew up to be more of the same' refers to the idea that individuals who were privileged or wealthy during their youth tend to maintain their privileged status as adults. It suggests that their upbringing and social background play a significant role in shaping who they become in the future.
  • 'Doesn't take shit' is a phrase commonly used to describe someone who refuses to tolerate mistreatment or unfairness. It implies a strong sense of self-respect and a refusal to be taken advantage of. People who don't take shit often stand up for themselves and assert their boundaries.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

意味を教えてください

I went to high school with a bunch of privileged, wealthy assholes who grew up to be more of the same. I grew up to be someone who doesn’t take shit, and I feel like the chip on my shoulder that’s been there since I was 13 is what’s keeping me from breaking down right now. grew up to be more of the sameとdoesn’t take shitの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4078/5306)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • cbm51901
  • ベストアンサー率67% (2671/3943)
回答No.2

I went to high school with a bunch of privileged, wealthy assholes who grew up to be more of the same. 「私は、そのままろくでもない大人に成長した、裕福な、特権階級育ちのろくでなし共と高校を共にしました。」 (more of the same の "the same" は "the same privileged, wealthy assholes") つまり話者は、 (1) 自分は、金持ちで、特権階級の家に育ったドラ息子/娘らと一緒の高校に通った。 (2) そのドラ息子/娘らは、大人になっても相変わらずのろくでなしであった。 と言いたかったのだと思います。 ところで話者は、恵まれた彼らのことを assholes(ろくでなし)と呼んでいますが、ここには話者の嫉妬やヒガミの感情も込められていると思われます。従って彼らがどこまで本当に低劣な人間に成長したかについては、疑問です。

corta
質問者

お礼

納得しました。ご回答ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (1)

• cbm51901
  • ベストアンサー率67% (2671/3943)
回答No.1

> grew up to be more of the same (privileged, wealthy assholesとして)そのまま殆んど変わることなく大人になった > doesn’t take shit = doesn't take nonsense = take no nonsense = 理不尽な事には耳を貸さない

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。ちょっと混乱しています。I went to high school with a bunch of privileged, wealthy assholes who grew up to be more of the same.の訳だとどうなるでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

関連するQ&A

• どのような意味でしょうか

Dear Annie: I can understand why "Camera-Shy Grandma" doesn't like to be photographed, but she should consider the fact that her stepdaughter likes pictures of people who are important to her. My brother was killed in Afghanistan 10 years ago, and I can't find a single photo of just the two of us together as adults. What I wouldn't give for one today! -- Kyle C. What I wouldn't give for one today!はどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 意味を教えてください

Someone who can be my friend at the same time as my life partner. Someone, who I don't have to keep secrets from.

• やり方を覚えるのに、せいぜい2時間しかかからない。

やり方を覚えるのに、せいぜい2時間しかかからない。の英訳として、 It doesn't take more than two hours to learn how to play it. としました。しかし、答えには It takes no/not more than(以下同じ) としか書いてありません。 時間について話すとき、doesn't takeという否定の仕方はできないのでしょうか? よろしくお願いします。

• 意味をよろしくお願いします

I’m a pretty direct woman who has wanted to reject “the rules.” I’ve tried to be vulnerable and real with men that I’m interested in, and more often than not, this sends them running for the hills. I’m starting to think that there is something to this whole, like, mysterious being-hard-to-get thing. But it’s just not who I am. Even if I did play this game, I would still have a body of work anyone could easily Google about being a feminist, sex-positive woman. Kinda takes the mystery out. 最後のKinda takes the mystery out.の意味をよろしくお願いします

• 意味がよくわかりません。どなたか訳をお願いします。

* As I'm leaving the country soon and quite busy with my business as well as party schedule for my friend, will it be okay with you if we conclude the transaction when I come back from uk? You can send me the invoice anytime, shipping instructions same as before, and I'll take care of the payment as soon as possible, possibly on the 23rd or latest on the 24th so everything's on track. My housemaid doesn't know how to properly receive precious item shipments so I better be here to personally take care of payment as well as when the item is scheduled to arrive * 以上のような文章なのですが、正確な意味がうまく訳せません。。。 荷物の発送タイミングがいまいち理解できません。 どなたかよろしくお願い致します。

• 意味・使い方を教えてくださいませ。

It doesn't pay to be nice. とは、どんな意味ですか? 教えてくださいませ。

• of whoのofについて

The few children I know of who grew up without human contact grew up almost wholly mute. これでI know of whoのofは何なんでしょうか? おそらくこの文は関係詞の二重限定だと私は思った んですが、それだったらofはいらなくないですか?

• 英語が分からないので教えてください

カッコ内の単語を並べ替えてください。 1.(now, order, are, ready, you, to),or shall I give you few more minutes? 2.(for, of, another, same, the, me),please. 3.Well, I think (night, I'll, it, call, a). It's been a long day. 4.(room, do, have, left, you, any) for dessert? 5.(think, I, for, I'll, go, the) vegetarian special. 6.I've been (catch, trying, to, waiter's, the, eye), but he doesn't seem to notice me. 7.(what, you, will, be, it, for),madam? 8.(it, you, if, bother, doesn't),I think I'll have a glass of wine.

• この英文の意味を理解できないのです・・・

下の英文をわかる方、いらっしゃいますでしょうか? 「What doesn't kill makes YOU stronger」の部分は、たぶん、直訳で「何かで殺されないことは、あなたを強くする」、意訳で「何の困難は、あなたを強くする」??というような意味だったかと思いますが・・・ あとは、どう訳してよいのか、よくわからないのです。 いくつかの翻訳ソフトにかけてみたのですが、意味不明な訳になってしまいます。 どなたか、わかる方がいましたら、ご教授くださいませ。 よろしくお願いします。 ----------------------------------------- What doesn't kill makes YOU stronger. (Really!!!) Keep your experience, bitter or sweet, in a scrapbook to learn and laugh when it's time. (Of course you will). But DON'T waste your time live it day in and day out... I never know one... who doesn't want to love... and be loved. I hardly know anyone... who doesn't hit a bump with the thing so-called "love" (life must be really borrrrring if it’s so !!!) But I do know someone....who recognize self and appreciate life much better after going thru... luv.

• どのような意味でしょうか

I have a college friend who is getting married this fall. (I found out about the engagement from a mutual friend and a subsequent email blast from the engaged friend.) I haven’t really spoken to Engaged Friend in the last year due to a history of minor slights and her overall sense of entitlement. (Honestly, I’ve always known she had the potential to be an awful person, but I disregarded it because I wasn’t on the receiving end.) At the wedding, I’d be one of the few attendees who knows that the groom was engaged to another woman two years ago and used Engaged Friend as a rebound. Knowing their history and Engaged Friend’s general bad behavior doesn’t put me in a celebratory mood. I don’t mind just sitting this one out, but I am concerned I will lose our mutual friend if I don’t attend. (She asked me to coordinate flights and hotel arrangements for the wedding weekend.) I don’t know how to explain I’m not attending without speaking ill of Engaged Friend, and I’m really just over the situation. over the situationはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします