Journalism's purpose and sensationalistic gossip

このQ&Aのポイント
  • The inclusion of sensationalistic gossip in newspapers and television news programs is at least sometimes for nonjournalistic reasons.
  • The presence of sensationalistic gossip may prevent news media from achieving their intended purpose of informing people about relevant matters.
  • The question of why one choice is considered inappropriate while the other is acceptable remains uncertain.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

次の空欄に埋まるもの

Journalism's purpose is to inform pepople about matters relevant to the choices they must make. Yet, clearly, people often buy newspapers or watch television news programs precisely because they contain sensationalistic gossip about people whom they will never meet and whose business is of little relevance to their lives. Obviously then the sensationalistic gossip contained in newspapers and television news programs______. ここで二つの選択肢の中から迷っています... A. is at least sometimes included for nonjournalistic reasons B. prevents those news media from achieving their purposes. どちらでもいいような気がするのですが、なぜ一方はだめなのでしょうか?

• 英語
  • 回答数8
  • ありがとう数8

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#223095
noname#223095
回答No.7

最近は、歳のせいで床に就くのが早いため(通常、20:30~21:00頃)、お礼欄の拝見が遅くなりました。 ご質問にお答えします。 今回提示された英文だけから、その主張を推測することは難しい部分がありますが、察するに、ここでは次のようなことを言いたかったのでは・・・。(はずれている可能性もあり、かなりの憶測を含みます) 元来、ジャーナリズムの役割は、人々に正確な情報を提供することである。それは人々に正しい選択、的確な判断をする上での一助たるべきものであらねばならない。しかし、より多くの人々の関心を引くためには、しばしば、一般人がお目にかかることのないような人々(有名人のことを指しているのでしょう)のゴシップを織り込むことを常としている。この部分は、ジャーナリズムの本来の目的とは関係のない部分ではあり、その意味で「少なくともジャーナリスティックではない理由で含まれている」と言える。しかし、その大部分は、新聞読者やテレビの視聴者の生活にとっても直接的に関係する部分ではないため、ジャーナリズムの本来の目的を損なうものとはなっていない。 はずれていたら、ゴメンナサイ・・・。

wanydccany
質問者

お礼

なるほど、妨げという言葉は確かに強いかもしれませんね。目的は達成していないけれど、妨げているかは確かに疑問です。追加お返事にご回答ありがとうございました!

その他の回答 (7)

noname#223095
noname#223095
回答No.8

回答者No.2、No.7です。 回答No.7は、最後の部分で舌足らずで終わりましたので、以下に補足します。 「この大胆な憶測がはずれていないと仮定すると、選択肢Aが適切であることがご納得頂けるのでは・・・と思います」 このコメントを入れることを忘れました。

wanydccany
質問者

お礼

Aの方がBより確かに適切ですね。ありがとうございました!

• 92128bwsd
  • ベストアンサー率58% (2275/3919)
回答No.6

#3,4です。 ポケモンGoに出ていたのでお返事遅れました(笑) > 両方ともpurposeの話をしているのでこちらかなぁと思ったのですがなぜBでは話が合わなくなるのでしょうか。 最初の回答で自分で下記のように言っておきながら、ちゃんと英文を分析せずに先入観があったのが敗因ですm(_ _)m >この主張が正しいかどうかはここでは問うていなくて、論理的な流れがあっているかどうかだけ問われていると思います。 本文の一行目に、ジャーナリズムの目的として、 ・読者が選択しなければいけない事に ・関連する事柄を報道する つまり、読者が自身で判断できる材料を報道するのが目的と言うことと思います。matters relevant to がひとつのポイントです。 それに対して、ゴシップはそもそも”噂”客観性を書いているのですが、しかも、 ・読者に取ってあうこともなければ、その人と殆ど関わりが無いこと の噂。 つまり、読者が自分で選択・判断できる材料はゼロ。 しかもそもそも”噂”なので、客観的な記事を書こうとしてうまく行かなかったのではなく、報道機関が意図的に、何かを期待して載せていると考えるのが自然。 そうすると、最初に定義したジャーナリズムの目的から、意図して外したものを載せている。 と考えるのが自然と思い直しました。だとするとAです。 Bは、ゴシップを載せたことが、まだジャーナリズムの目的を全うしようとしていて、でもゴシップを載せたことがその目的の達成の邪魔になっていることになるのですが、A,Bを穴埋めする前に文頭がObviously (明らかに)から始まっていて、Bは可能せゼロではなかったものの、そこまで”明らかに”言い切るとなるとやはり不適切と思います。

wanydccany
質問者

お礼

ポケgoすごく流行っていますよね!歩く際車などにはご注意ください。obviouslyがポイントだったのですね。お返事ありがとうございました!

回答No.5

Aです。 要約します。  報道の目的は視聴者が選択を迫られている事柄に対して情報を提供することである。しかし、新聞やテレビには視聴者とは無関係の人達のゴシップ記事などが含まれている。これらのゴシップは明らかに、 (A:報道すべき理由のない場合が少なくない) (B:報道機関が目的を達することを妨げている) 。

wanydccany
質問者

お礼

お返事ありがとうございます。Aなんですね。最初の文でpurposeの話をしているのでBでもいいのではと思ったのですが...

• 92128bwsd
回答No.4

#3です。前の回答、#2さんとほぼ訳が同じなのに結果が違っていたので見直してみました。正解は#2さんの回答の様にAですね。 ゴシップは読者が自分で判断できる材料をメディア側が提供しておらず、最初のジャーナリズムの目的が正しいとすると、その目的に沿っていない。一方Bだとすると目的を達成しようと意図しているのに結果として妨げになっている。こちらの方が話が合わないですね。失礼しました。

wanydccany
質問者

お礼

こちらを読む前にお礼してしまいました。Aなんですね。最後の文の主語はマスコミではなくthe sensationalistic gossipですよね。そして最初の文ではJournalism's purposeとあります。両方ともpurposeの話をしているのでこちらかなぁと思ったのですがなぜBでは話が合わなくなるのでしょうか。

• 92128bwsd
回答No.3

Bが適切と思います。Aが絶対ダメと言うわけではないのですが、本文に書いてある内容だけからするとBを持ってくると説明がたりなさすぎて唐突感があります。その点Bは流れとしては自然です。 「ジャーナリズムの目的は、人々に彼らが自分で選択(判断)しなければいけない事に関連した事柄について報道することです。しかしながら、明らかに、人々はしばしば新聞やテレビをセンセーショナルなゴシップを含んでいると言う理由で買ったり見たりしますが、ゴシップになった人には決して会うこともなければ、その人達のビジネスは人々の生活とは殆ど関係が無いのです。だから明らかに新聞やテレビのニュースに含まれるこれらのセンセーショナルなゴシップは ______. 」 A. 少なくとも時々ジャーナリズムではない理由で挿入されているのです。 B. これらのニュース媒体(新聞、テレビ)が目的を達成することを妨げているのです。 A.は論理が飛躍していて、この文の後にnonjournalistic reasonsが一体何であるかの説明が続かないと簡潔しません。またゴシップが報道される裏には新聞の売り上げをあげたり視聴率をあげるような目的があるのは想像がつくので、わざわざこんな言い方をすると他に陰謀でもあるのかと思ってしまいます。 B. は本文で言っている趣旨にあっています。この主張が正しいかどうかはここでは問うていなくて、論理的な流れがあっているかどうかだけ問われていると思います。

wanydccany
質問者

お礼

お返事ありがとうございます。私もBを選んだんです...Aとすごく迷いました。正答みたらAでした...。なので余計すごくあたまを悩ませています...。

noname#223095
noname#223095
回答No.2

一応、全文を訳してみます。 「ジャーナリズムの目的は、人々にやらねばならない選択に関連する問題について情報提供することである。しかし明らかに、人はまめに新聞を買ったりテレビのニュース番組をよく見ます。理由は、それらには決して出会うことのない人々についてのセンセーショナルなゴシップが含まれており、そういった人々の仕事は自分達の生活とはほとんど関係がないからである。 それゆえ明らかに、新聞やテレビのニュース番組に含まれているセンセーショナルなゴシップは・・・? A. 少なくともジャーナリスティックではない理由で含まれているのである。 B. そういったニュースメディアが自分達の目的を果たすことを妨げていうのです。 やっぱり、選ぶとするとAであって、Bはマズイんじゃないでしょうか・・・。 参考になりましたら。

wanydccany
質問者

お礼

お返事ありがとうございます。訳をみてみてもBでもいいような気がします...最後の文の主語はマスコミではなくthe sensationalistic gossipですよね。そして最初の文ではJournalism's purposeとあります。よってBの中のprevent achieving their puposeとなるのかな、と思ったのですが...どうダメなのかご解説いただけませんでしょうか?とても悩んでいます。。

• bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

私ならどちらの選択肢も疑いたくなって、他の選択肢を検討するかもしれません。A はどうも英文としてすんなり入ってこないし、B は言ってることがおかしい。 少なくとも B は間違いではないでしょうか。prevent の目的語が people であれば自然な文に見えます。ところが、prevent の目的語が hose news media になっています。これでは 「マスコミはマスコミの目的をニュース・メディアから獲得することを阻害する」 となってしまい、おかしな文になります。 それくらいなら A の方がましな内容に思えます。

wanydccany
質問者

お礼

お返事ありがとうございます。しかし最後の文の主語はマスコミではなくthe sensationalistic gossipですよね。そして最初の文ではJournalism's purposeとあります。よってBの中のprevent achieving their puposeとなるのかな、と思ったのですが...news mediaにJournalismは含まれていると思ったのですがもしかしてここに問題があるのでしょうか

関連するQ&A

• 和訳教えてください。

Newspapers can't be first with the news as television and radio are, so they must offer their reader something different. Events must be explained so that results are understandable to the reader. The story of what caused the news must be told. Many newspapers are already preparing to meet this need. Today's front pages explain the news as they report it. During the weekends newspapers are filled with stories of such things as politics and would problems. Reporting the news is not enough in today's fast-moving world. It is not enough for newspapers readers to know what happened. They must also know why it happened and what it will do to their country, their city and themselves. For many years newspapers were only expected to report facts. Readers had to do their own explaining. But most readers did not know enough of what was happening behind the news to be able to explain or understand it. That is why news magazines such as Vision, in Latin America, and others around the world were started. They did the job which most newspapers were not then doing―going behind the news to explain why it happened. Explaining the news is not giving an opinion. It is telling as much as possible about an event to let readers know what caused it. For example, they should know about the downfall of agovernment in Latin America, but should also understand what caused that downfall. Saying only that a government of a South America country has fallen is not enough. It would be better to make readers understand the real problms which caused the collapse. よろしくお願いします。

• 英文の和訳をお願いします。

A blind date is a date for two people who have never met before. Their mutual friends usually arrange the match. With the rise of the Internet, blind dates are becoming more common than before. Through instant messaging and Internet chat forums, people have a chance to meet people. Blind dating is exciting for some people, but it can be a stressful emotional experience for others. This may be mainly due to a lack of self-confidence and the inevitable fear of meeting an unknown. In the United States, people often talk about the experience of their friends. Some people like to gossip a lot. People who like to gossip often talk about individuals they may not know and that can be hurtful, especially if rumors and gossip continue to be shared. This conversation is between two friends about another friend. In this case, the two friends, Amy and Lisa, having the conversation want the information to remain confidential in order to protect this mutual friend, Toshi. At the end of this conversation, the two friends agree to keep their information confidential. "I've got your back" is a phrase used as reassurance between friends. the phrase is used to show confidentiality, solidarity and trust.

• 英作文添削お願いします。

テーマはここ数年のニュースで話題になったものというものです。 I was interested in the news which the age of adult should be lowered to eighteen years old. I agree with this idea. Young people these days are overprotected. They can't know anything about the world. It is true that people in their teens still aren't mentally and physically mature. Many teenager don't have a full time job, live with their parents and depend on their parents, However, this is the reason why the age of adult should be lowered. Someday, they will have to live by their own. If they have to be responsible to everything they do, they will become aware that they should be independent. They would also appreciate their parents. よろしくおねがいします。

• [go]の意味は?

NHKラジオ英会話講座より Television and newspapers are no longer the only places where people go to learn about the world. もはやTVや新聞が世界を知るための唯一の場所ではありません。 (質問)[go]がこの文章ではどのように使われているのでしょうか?自分のものにしたいのですが、易しい解説をお願いいたします。類似の例文も2~3お願いできれば有難いのですが、よろしくお願いいたします。以上

• 次の英文で、whoを受ける動詞はどれですか?

Since the Fukushima accident we have seen a stream of experts on radiation telling us not to worry, that the doses are too low, that the accident is nothing like Chernobyl and so forth. They appear on television and we read their articles in the newspapers and online. Fortunately the majority of the public don’t believe them. I myself have appeared on television and radio with these people; one example was Ian Fells of the University of Newcastle who, after telling us all on BBC News that the accident was nothing like Chernobyl (wrong), and the radiation levels of no consequence (wrong), that the main problem was that there was no electricity and that the lifts didn’t work. “ If you have been in a situation when the lifts don’t work, as I have” he burbled on, “you will know what I mean.” You can see this interview on youtube and decide for yourself. What these people have in common is ignorance. You may think a professor at a university must actually know something about their subject. But this is not so. Nearly all of these experts who appear and pontificate have not actually done any research on the issue of radiation and health. Or if they have, they seem to have missed all the key studies and references. I leave out the real baddies, who are closely attached to the nuclear industry, like Richard Wakeford, or Richard D as he calls himself on the anonymous website he has set up to attack me, “chrisbusbyexposed”. Ian Fells of the University of Newcastle whoとありますが、whoを受ける動詞はどれですか? telling us all on BBC News とありますが、tellingの目的節がthat以下になって最後のthatはand that になるはずと思うのですが、どうもそのようになってない。and that the lifts didn’t workのand that は the main problem was に対するthatですよね? 最後に、liftと“chrisbusbyexposed”の意味が分かりません。

• 英文が正しいかどうか教えてください

この英文におかしい構文やアドバイスなどがあれば教えてください。 First, I will state about dream. Many people have dream. Not only children but also adult. And many people want to work about television. For example, singer, actor, cameraman. I think television give them dream. My friend wants to be actor. So she watches many movies. Anime is popular in my country. Anime is part of television. Anime give many people dream too especially children. This is because children like watching anime. My young sister is always watching anime. We can know many works by watch television and movie. I watched television about introduce work. I like sing a song that watch television and remember song. Therefore, I think television and movie give us dream. よろしくお願いします。

• この英文訳せる方教えてください

(1)with television and the internet face to face communication is getting less common (2)therefore,seeing a smiling face and hearing laughter directly is more important than ever (3)street performers show that to us (4)they use their whole body and show us their spirit to communicate この英文の訳わかるかたおしえてください。

• 翻訳をお願い致します!

'Wicked Garden' is a song about people allowing all their innocence and purity to be lost from their lives ※ 『Wicked Garden』は曲名です。

• 次の英文を翻訳お願いします。

I've noticed that, too. Many people are eating miso soup and sushi... I notice it is mostly white people who do it though. They seem to "discover" things many cultures already knew. Just like with coconut oil, my family has cooked with it for generations, but after they got their hands on it, it became too expensive and I had to buy canola oil instead. よろしくお願いします。

• 英訳のお手伝いお願いします。

Today is the five year anniversary of the terrorist attacks on 9-11. It is a very sad day for Americans. I remember when it happened, our whole country was united as one. Now, political groups and special interest groups have forgotten that unity, and we are so divided now. People are angry at the President, and angry about the war, and angry about anything they can think of. It makes me so sad to think that the same people who cried "Go to War!!" are now saying "War is wrong!!" just because they want to get elected into office. I HATE politics, all of it, because they say one thing and do another, just to get their way. これは私のe-mail友達のアメリカ人からのお手紙です。 一番最後の文のI HATE politics, all of it, because they say one thing and do another, just to get their way.の、they say one thing and do another, just to get their wayが全く解りません。私が訳すると"彼らは同じことを言っていたのに違うことを今はしている。"になりますが、次のjust to get their wayはわかりません。 どなたかお願いします。 以前に違う名前で質問を沢山させていただいたのですが、登録がなぜか消えてしまいお礼を言えなかった方がいました。ここでお詫びをさせて下さい<m(__)m>