Shipwrecks: Should they be protected or disturbed?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Learn why shipwrecks are debated between treasure hunters and scholars.
  • Discover the importance of studying shipwrecks in their original state.
  • Understand the grammar behind the phrase 'just as they are'.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英語の訳についての疑問

They say that shipswrecks should not be disturbed by treasure hunters but protected by governments so that scholars can study them just as they are.(難破船は財宝ハンターによって乱されるべきではなく、研究者が難破船をそのままの状態で調査できるよう、政府によって保護されるべきであると、彼らは言う。) この文章のjust as they are の部分がなぜ、このように訳されるのか分からないので、教えてください。 また、この部分の文法の解説もして欲しいです。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • pem42391
  • ベストアンサー率52% (70/134)
回答No.2

I love you just as you are.  「ありのままの君が好きだよ」(着飾ったり、気取ったりしなくていいんだ)なんていうクサーい口説き文句がありますね、いっぺん言ってみたいもんッスけど。 それと同じ「 as ◯◯ be動詞」の用法ですよね。「〇〇がそういう状態であること」。  色気のまったくない用法だと、 As you are! っていう掛け声があります。 軍隊なんかでよく使います。「そのまま!」っていうこと。どういうときに使うかというと、兵隊たちがリラックスしている場に急にエライさんが現れた、軍隊の規則ではリラックスの体勢から “気をつけ” になって敬礼しなくちゃいけない。でも兵隊思いの優しい将校さんなんかだと、そこまでしなくてもいいからってことで As you are! 「そのまま!」って声を掛けて「 “気をつけ” とか敬礼はいらないよ」っていう意味にします。 別のタイプの将校だとケジメはケジメとして、とりあえず “気をつけ” とか敬礼ぐらいはさせる、でもそのあとで As you were! って声をかける場合もあります、were という過去形なので「元(の状態)にもどってよろしい!」ってまたリラックスさせる意味です。 上記でだらだらと書いた as の用法は“状態”ってやつだと解釈します。下記リンクの、接続詞の2番目の用法。 http://ejje.weblio.jp/content/as 質問の文章では、なんで just as they are 「そのままの状態」かというと、宝探しの連中はお宝だけ手に入ればいいので、手っ取り早くお宝に近づこうと難破船を壊したり、極端は場合は倒したり向きを変えたりして難破時の状態と違うようにする輩がいるんじゃないでしょうか。そうすると「どうして難破してしまったのか」の調査が不正確になってしまうでしょ、常識で考えて。やはり study them just as they are 「まったくそのままの状態で調査」しなくっちゃね。 文の前にある so that の so に掛かっているという誤解のないように。 so that~ は「~をするため」という意味ですから、so の用法は as が出てくる前にすでに完結しています。

ssgktkmkkyro
質問者

お礼

具体的な説明や例文を書いていただき、とても分かりやすかったです。有難う御座いました。

その他の回答 (1)

回答No.1

as の意味が取りにくいようです。「…が~するように」という状態を表現します。 …には主語 shipwrecks、~には動詞 are が入ります。 『ちょうど難破船があるように』→『難破船をそのままの状態で』と訳文を調整してあります。 ※shipswrecks の真ん中の s は不要です。

ssgktkmkkyro
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 英語の訳をお願いします!!

So you can see why I believe that Americans are obsessed with time. All of the Americans I know have wristwatches, but many of my Latino friends don't regularly wear one.I don't, Americans are always setting their watches, making sure the time is 'exact.' I once heard two American students arguing about what time it was.One said, 'It's 3:45.' The other said,'No,It's not! It's 3:48, you idiot!'That's how Americans think about time.It's the most important thing in their lives. People do think about time differently after all.It seems to me,thought, that the American and Latino students do everything they're supposed to do.They work and study about the same amount. But the Latinos don't feel as pressured by time as the Americans do. It's no wonder that Americans are so stressed out.

• 訳を教えてください。

Euphemisms are not useless verbiage for that which can and should be said bluntly; they are like secret agents on a delicate mission, they must airily pass by a stinking mess with barely so much as a nod of the head, make their point of constructive criticism and continue on in calm forbearance. Euphemisms are unpleasant truths wearing diplomatic cologne. 以下の部分がとくにわかりません。合わせてご解説いただけたら嬉しいです。 *for that which ~ *with barely so much as a nod of the head *make と continueはthey must に続くのですか? よろしくお願いします!

• 英語。訳を教えてください。

今日のvoa special english の WHO Urges Ban on Blood Test for Tuberculosis から These tests are actively doing people harm by causing them either to take medicines that they don't need or delaying the diagnosis that they actually do need, to get better. とありますが、 do people harm by causing them to get better って解釈ですよね?harmってプラスにも使えるんですか?

• 英語の訳をお願いします!!

The american students, on the other hand, are just the opposite.They come to the cafeteria onlyto eat.They don't stay and talk for very long.Of course, they have pleasure chats here and there,but it appears to me that they keep the chat time to a minimum as if to say that longer talk was a waste of time. When they have something else to do, they leave,even when their friends are still at the table.When they get up from the table to leave, it seems they always look at their watches first.They often say something such as 'Whoa,look at the time!I have to go.'Then they run off.They would rather obey their watches than stay with their friends.

• 訳をお願いします。

訳をお願いします。 自分で訳そうと思ったのですが、全然分からなかったので 誰かお願いします…。 Participants were asked to respond to five statements about their happiness and give a rating on a scale of 1 to 7 according to how strongly they agreed. Previous studies have shown that people who possess attributes regarded as desirable by modern Western society,such as intelligence and money,are rewarded with higher social status and a more comfortable standard of living. 少し長いかもしれませんが宜しくお願いいたします。

• 英語の訳

以下の英語の訳を、どなたか教えていただけますか? (出典:Partha Dasgupta(2007) Economics:A very short introduction. Oxford University Press.より) (1)Others have noted that people in rich countries are far better educated,implying that they are able to make use of ideas to produce goods that are out of reach for people in countries where large numbers are illiterate. (2)Education and health go by the name human capital. (3)Primary and secondary education alone can't take a society that far today.

• 英語 整除問題

よろしくお願いします。英語の並べ替えの問題です。 問題は、 Recent studies show that tides are higher ()()()()(). 選択肢 now, than, they, to be, used です。 これをどう並べ替えて{}にいれるか、なのですが、 nowがどこにはいるのかわかりません。 自分は、 than they used to be. かなと思いましたが、ここにどうnowをいれたらいいのかわかりません。 現在の潮流は]ならば、 Recent studies show that tides now are higher than--- となると思います。 さて、このnowはどこに入りますか? 答えはまだもらってないのでわかりません。 よろしくお願いします。

• ●次の英文の訳お願いします。

(1)No expression is more ambiguous in identifityng the source of information. (2)The same goes for kankeisha guiding people in line because it does not tell us how they related to the line. (3)I would guess they are hired by the store, but the term seems to be a convenient way to imply authority without responsibility. (4)That would be as pure as that felt by the anonymous craftsmen who produce good wokers that are much appreciated by cutromers. それは客たちに高く評価される作品を生み出す匿名の職人による純粋な楽しみとなるだろう・・・?

• 日本語訳にしてください!

日本語訳にしてください! Many governments now have or are considering laws to stop factories and towns from putting polluted water into streams. Factories are being required to treat their water before returning it to a public source. That is, if they put chemicals and other unwanted materials into water, they should be made to take them out again, so that the water can be by others. です、宜しくお願いします(;_;)

• 英語の訳が分りません。

英語の訳が分りません。 分かる方教えて下さい Until recently, actors felt sure that they would never have to worry about being replaced by a digital actor. They thought their performances needed expression of feelings which could not be copied by a computer. However, because of a new digital technology, all of that may change. Hollywood is busy with talk about how filmmakers will be able to create virtual actors that will be as wonderful as real actors. Of course, the actors themselves are not happy with this change. Many actors are deeply troubled at this idea. The Screen Actors Guild, the leading union for television and film actors, has told filmmakers that it will keep watching producers' activities carefully, becouse actors are afraid that their carefully prepared performances may be changed or even replaced by computer animation. Why do film producers want to use these virtual actors so much when a big-name stars' film usually becomes a great hit? Simple-money. The virtual actor will be a digital robot that can do anything the producer tells it to do, at any time, and at any place, without crying, or, without receiving money. The thought of using peaceful actors who need no contract or no sick days makes many producers and directors very happy. And of course any money made by these virtual actors will go to te producer. Filmmakers believe they will save millions of dollars on the filming.