• ベストアンサー

すみませんが英語を教えて下さい

. 例文-- Although well-off himself, the miser cadged his relatives by eating nearly all his meals in their homes, and at their expense. 自分は裕福であるくせに、けちな彼は親類にたかり、ほとんどの食事を彼らの 家で、彼らの経費で済ませた。 "well-off himself," の部分は形容詞ー代名詞を並べただけなのになぜ "彼は裕福である" と言う意味をなすのですか? よろしく御願いします

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

Although he was well-off himself, この he was は省略可能です。 従属接続詞は、等位接続詞の and のように共通の主語の省略ということはできませんが、 be 動詞とセットで省略することは可能です。 while young, if possible のように、 従属接続詞+形容詞という形はよくあります。 そして、himself という再帰代名詞には強意用法がありますので、 he was well-off himself と末尾において、主語 he と同格的に用いられています。 「彼自身は裕福だった」 日本語とは異なり、himself では主語になれません。 he という主語が隠れていて、himself と置いています。

PW227
質問者

お礼

詳しく教えて頂いてありがとうございました

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• 英語の和訳

和訳お願いしますO(><;)(;><)O ↓ ↓ How and why did the family meel start to disappear in the United States? My friends in the United States have various explanations about this. Parents and children lead busy lives and there just isn't time for a sit-down meal. Kids'sports schedules run on into dinner hour. After a long day at work,parents are too tired to cook. Teenagers are off on their own after school. Yet study after study shows that having meals together as a family is good for both adults and children. A University of Michigan study found that mealtime at home was the single strongest factor predicting better achievement scores and fewer behavioral problems for children. Mealtime was far more powerful than time spent in school,studying,worshiping,playing sports or doing arts activities. Other studies show that children like family meals. In one report,nearly four-fifths of adolescents cited eating dinner at home as one of their top-rated family activities. In a national YMCA poll in 2000,when teenagers were asked about their worries,21 percent rated“not having enough time with parents”as their top concern.

• 次の英文の訳お願いします

1 Box office sales for Confucius are off the charts. 2 Some Chinese suggested a boycott of the Confucius movie. 3 The article intimates that the Chinese government is hoping to ban information from flowing throughout the country. 4 Companies buy blocks of tickets for employees to persuade them to attend the Confucius movie. 5 When government officials in China remove people from their homes for land development , the people are well compensated for their move to a new location.

• 英語の問題です。教えてください。

主節か従属節かを考えて書き直す問題です。 例 After you break the eggs into a bowl,beat them well. ↓ Beat eggs well after you break them into bowl. (1) As long as you get home, let me know. (2) Because this is the seventh time Luke’s been absent, he failed the course. (3) In case you forget to bring yours, I’m pretty sure that Katie has a spare. (4) In the event that the BBQ’s called off due to the weather, it will be rescheduled. (5) Unless Ryan has a good reason, I doubt if the boss will forgive him. (6) When Layla gets in, could you tell her that Aria needs to see her? (7) I started feeling sick while I was giving a presentation. (8) Before the plane doors close, we have to sit down. (9) Due to really lousy weather, the golf tournament was cancelled. (10) Once you find the big intersection, you can easily find the hotel. (11) Even if Anna drinks just one beer, she should not drive. (12) When the earthquake struck, I was in the shower. (13) Curt freaks out whenever he sees a cockroach. (14) You can sit here so long as you are polite. (15) Since John forgot her birthday present, he had to go back home and get it. (16) Hanshin is still very popular although they lose most of their games. (17) As long as Oliver does his job well, the boss does not care what he wear to work. 宜しくお願いします。

• 英文の訳をお願いします;;

ln rural Africa, clean water is a luxury. Most people don't have a water systemin their homes. lnstead,they often must walk long distances to wells and carry heavycontainers of water back home.PatriciaMolope,17,explains that before Diepsloot got a PlayPump,people would pay a taxi driver to take them to a far-off well. “Sometimesthe taxi drivers were busy,and we would have to do without bathing in order to saveour water. lt was too far to walk there. But now we have our own clean water in ourvillage,and life is better."

• 日本語訳をお願い致します。

The New Zealanders dug in and conducted fighting patrols for the rest of the day. From several German prisoners it was determined that the 220th Prussian and 7th Bavarian Divisions were defending Bapaume. To the north, the 2nd Infantry Brigade, who began their advance from Biefvillers over ground which favoured the defenders. The brigade had artillery support, in contrast to their fellow brigade to the south, as well as 23 tanks, although these were delayed. The 1st Battalion, Canterbury Regiment, one of the two leading battalions, made good progress and reached their objective for the day by 7:00 am, at the intersection of the Albert and Arras Roads. The other leading battalion was the 1st Otago, who struggled. The tanks supporting the Otago men caught up with the advancing infantry but misidentified them as Germans and opened fire. Once this instance of friendly fire was identified, the tanks then began engaging the Germans but were soon knocked out. By then, the tanks had provided the 1st Otago Battalion the opportunity to reach their objective for the day, the Arras Road. They managed to link up with the 37th Division on their left although not with the 1st Canterbury Battalion on their right. To fill the gap, Brigadier General Young ordered up the 2nd Canterbury Battalion and all three battalions consolidated their positions. The German 111th Division attempted to mount a counterattack later in the day but the massing troops were spotted and attacked by British reconnaissance aircraft. The Germans were caught by an artillery barrage covering a hastily arranged advance, to begin at 6:30 pm, by the New Zealanders and the 37th Division. This easier advance cleared Monument Wood and the southern reaches of the village of Favreuil by the conclusion of the day. Among the 2nd Infantry Brigade there were nearly 500 killed, wounded or missing for the day such that the 2nd would play no further role in the battle. Although the planned envelopment of Bapaume had not happened, the day's action resulted in the capture of over 400 prisoners of war along with many machine guns and an artillery piece. The New Zealanders continued their efforts to encircle Bapaume on 26 August, their flanks protected by the neighbouring 63rd and 5th Divisions.

• 不定詞を教えてください。

次の各文を日本語になおしてください。 (1)To see her is to love her. (2)The poor old man had no house to live in, and no relatives to depend on. (3)Bad habit is difficult to shake off, once formed. (4)Politics has much to do with the national life. (5)I regard it as important to finish this job on time. 次の各文を英訳してください。 (1)私は人の気にさわるようなことはしたくない。(気にさわる:hurt one's feelings) (2)険しい山に登るには、最初はゆるやかに歩くことが必要だ。 (3)私は母に買い物に行ってきてと頼まれた。 (4)その弁護士は自分がそんなに力があるのを知ってにっこりした。 これを、解いてみると (1)彼女に会うことは、彼女を好きってことだ。 (2)その貧しい老人男性は住むべき家もなく、頼るべき親類もいなかった。 (3)悪い習慣というものは、いったん形成されてしまうと、払いのけるのが困難だ。 (4)政治というものは、国民の生活に多く関わってくるものだ (5)私は、この仕事を時間どおりに終えることは重要であると考えます。 (1)I don't want to hurt their feelings. (2)To climb a steep mountain, you have to walk slowly at first. (3)I was asked my mother to go shopping. (4)The lawyer smiled to know that he had such a power. になりました。 でも、先生にまちがっているといわれました。 でこが、間違っているのか教えていただけませんか。 できれば、間違っているところを訂正していただけると助かります。

• 日本語訳を!!

お願いします (14) Crassus was furious. He armed the men again. Then he divided 500 of the soldiers into 50 groups of 10. In each group, the men drew straws, and one man was chosen. Plutarch says that Crassus ordered the death of these fifty men, that they be executed“with a variety of appalling and terrible methods, performed before the eyes of the whole army, gathered to watch.”Crassus finally led Rome to victory, but only after a long, fierce struggle. Most of the rebels were killed. According to Plutarch, Spartacus refused to give up and fought savagely, even after the last of his men had deserted him. In the end, he died a soldier's death―with his sword in his hand. (15) The Romans crucified 6,000 rebels and left hanging on wooden crosses all along the Appian Way―a road that led to Rome. Their rotting bodies served as a horrible warning to rebellious slaves. (16) Although Rome was cruel to its slaves, not all of them suffered as terribly as the gladiators and mine workers did. Many captured people were skilled craftsmen who were allowed to continue their work as potters, artists, or metal workers. Those who worked in the homes of wealthy aristocrats were also treated fairly well―compared to less fortunate slaves. Household slaves were usually well fed and clothed. And their jobs were much safer and more pleasant. They worked as nannies, cooks, and seamstresses. Welleducated Greek slaves could become household secretaries or tutors for their masters' children. (17) Although slaves might become friendly with the master and his family, they still had to take orders. And if they committed crimes, they could be tortured, burned alive, crucified, or sent to fight wild beasts in the arena while the audience watched and cheered. The upper classes never suffered these violent punishments. Aristocratic criminals were killed with the sword―a quicker, less agonizing way to die.

• 次の英文がわかりません;

When l married my husband,six years ago,he already had four small children from his previous marriage. l became their stepmother,and watched them become young teenagers. Although they lived primarily with their mother,they spent a lot of time with us as well. 0ver the years,we all learned to adjust. We enjoyed vacations together,ate family meals,worked on homework,played baseball,rented videos. However,I continued to feel somewhat like an outsider. Since l had no children of my own,my experience of parenting was limited to my husband's four,and often l felt sad because l would never know the special bond that exists between a parent and a child.   When the children moved to a town that was a five-hour drive away,my husband was understandably upset. We promptly set up an e-mail and chat-line service. This technology,combined with the telephone,would enable us to reach the children on a daily basis by sending frequent notes and messages,and even chatting together when we were all on-line.

• 英作文の添削をおねがいします

英作文の添削をお願いします。 テーマ:食の安全について(自分の食生活とみんなが健康的で安全なものを食べるために社会はどうしたらよいか) 錠けン:150字以上 3パラグラフ構成以上 序論・本論・結論が明確であること      Today, the problems of food quality and safety have been in the news more than before. As you know, eating is one of the most important habits in daily life, so I care about what I eat every day. Because I live with my family, my mother or I can cook by her or myself. Thus, I can eat healthy food such as flesh vegetables, fruits, meat and fish. However, if I have to live alone, I should sometimes buy the meal at the convenience store when I am busy and unable to cook. In addition, this is the problem for people who live alone. Although a lot of convenience store stand everywhere in the city, most of meals they sell are not healthy, like high-calorie, salty, or including high levels of chemicals. Eating these foods usually harm their health. I suggest that society should make the convenience stores sell more healthy food if they make sure that we all eat good and healthy food. When they so, even people who live themselves will be able to eat safety and be more healthy.(183words) 本論の展開(自分の食生活から社会全体に結び付ける展開)が思い浮かばず、 無理やり結論にもっていった感じがいなめません。。。 英作文を書くときに軽く構成は書き出すものの、何度も消して書いてを繰り返してしまうのですが、 これをあまりしなくて済むコツなどあれば教えていただきたいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 和訳お願いしますm(_ _)m

Bean-Scattering Ceremony Originally the term setsubun referred to any of the divi-sions of the solar year, but over time it came to be associated specifically with the eve of the first day of spring. According to the old lunar calendar, the first day of spring and the new year were celebrated at about the same time. Traditional ceremonies for purification and for driving away demons were held to prepare for the new year as well as for the spring planting season. In order to drive away evil forces, people threw roasted beans at the invisible demons outside their homes and then scattered beans inside to attract good luck. This ceremony is still carried out by most families, although it is not considered as seriously as it was in the past. often one child in the family wears a devil mask, and the other children playfully throw beans at him or her as a game, not as an exorcism ceremony. 長文失礼しましたm(_ _)m