• ベストアンサー
※ ChatGPTを利用し、要約された質問です(原文:小説の中で気になった英文です。)

気になった英文とその意味を教えてください

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 小説『The Beach』で気になった英文について説明してください。
  • 「sense」とはどんな意味で使われているのか、具体的な例を教えてください。
  • 「Possibly even dead like Sten」とはどういう意味で使われているのか、日本語訳を教えてください。

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#8315
noname#8315
回答No.1

気になったところだけでもということですので、 気になったところというか分かるところだけでも。 1.は前後がもう少しないと何とも。 2. The only person talking sense was Sal. (senseの意味と子の倍意の使われ方を教えて下さい) 「まともなことを言っているのはサルだけだった」 talking sense でもっともなことを言うとかそういう意味です。 なので、こんな訳になります。 3. Possively even dead like Sten. (「ステンより死んだようなものはない」という感じでいいのでしょうか? 意訳ですけど。ぶんぽうてきな説明をお願いします。) 「ステンみたいに死んでるのかも」 これは素直に前から意味をとっていけば良いと思います。 直訳すると、 「実は死んでさえいるのかも、ステンみたいに」 って感じですかね。 4. I lit up on the run back. (run backとはなんでしょうか?ランバックに火をつける?) これも前後みないと分かりにくいかも。 5. I called and heard myself in stereo. (in stereo の意味を教えて下さい) よく分からないけど、四方八方からってことかな? あまり役に立ちませんでした。では。

Evianus
質問者

お礼

2. talk sense「まともなことを言う」 3. Possively even dead, like Stenですね。 気づきませんでした。 5. 多分そうだと思います。 これは洞窟の中の場面なので。 回答ありがとうございました!

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• 小説の中で気になった英文です。 【2】

小説の中でいくつか気になった英文があります。 気になったところだけでいいので教えてください。 1. –though we all knew where her loyalities would lie if push came to shove. (push came to shoveのところを教えてください) 2. I'd have shinned up a rocket-ship tree to have avoided passing Bugs, and Sal would make me give her a troublesome report on our guests on the neighbouring island, so Cassie it had to be. (訳と、it had to be のところの意味を教えてください) 3. It gives me time to think and come to terms with what’s happened. (come to terms with what's happenedのところの説明をお願いします) 回答よろしくお願いします。

• 英文和訳です

Popular culture’s association of flying cars with the future is strong even in stories that take place in the present. Flying cars are, in such stories, treated as machines so advanced they seem almost magical. Characters who build their own flying cars ― like the eccentric inventors in The Absent-Minded Professor(1962), Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968), and the Back to the Future films(1985-1990) ― are treated as modern-day wizards. Characters who merely use flying cars are invariably shown to be partners of a wizardlike inventor or beneficiaries of some other form of advanced intelligence. The jet backpack that James Bond uses at the beginning of You Only Live Twice(1967) is the brainchild of Q, the Secret Service’s endlessly inventive armorer. The flying bicycles in the climax of E.T.(1982) fly because the wide-eyed alien of the title wills them to. よろしくお願いします^^;

• 英文和訳ですが全然わかりません

The realities of creating personal, everyday air transportation―”flying cars,” for short―are in fact nightmarishly complex. A heavier-than-air flying machine must have a light but durable structure and a light but powerful engine in order to work at all. The engine must also be reliable, since its failure in flight is by definition a life-threatening crisis. A flying machine designed for daily use by an operator with limited training and experience would also have to be extremely stable, both in level flight and during maneuvers. Solving these technological problems would set the stage for putting “a flying machine in every garage.” That, in turn, would create new social problems: air traffic control; three-dimensional “rules of the road”; insurance; training, licensing, and inspection; and liability for damage done on the ground by machines that crash. for short 簡単に言って A heavier-than-air flying machine 空気より重たい飛行機械 in order to work at all ともかく動くためには by definition 当然とはいえ level flight 水平飛行 during maneuvers (技術を要する)操作中に set the stage for~ ~の準備を整える licensing 運転免許授与 inspection 車検 liability for~ ~に対する賠償責任 ;←この記号の意味もできれば教えてください お手伝いお願いします^^;

• 下記の英文を教えてくれませんか?お願いします。

The person in charge of these new photos was out but back in the office today, I can send them to you. The AAA will be uploaded today, and the BBB is both popular in small and large, they sell out almost as fast as we put it out.

• 英文和訳です

Flying cars are even more prevalent in The Jetsons, a 1962 animated TV series about a “typical family” of the twenty-first century. Bubble-topped machines, apparently jet-powered and computer-controlled, have completely replaced the family station wagon (and, apparently, all other forms of ground transportation). The Jetson family’s car is capable of supersonic speeds and rock-steady hovering, and it folds itself into a briefcase when not in use. Typically, for stories about the future, it is ordinary to its users and astonishing to twentieth-century audiences. Blade Runner(1982) is nominally set in in the first decade of the twenty-first century, but its nightmarish vision of a more distant future. Residents are unfazed, therefore, when flying cars swoop overhead and a flying police cruiser descends vertically into their midst. お願いします^^;

• 英文和訳です

Flying cars are even more prevalent in The Jetsons, a 1962 animated TV series about a “typical family” of the twenty-first century. Bubble-topped machines, apparently jet-powered and computer-controlled, have completely replaced the family station wagon (and, apparently, all other forms of ground transportation). The Jetson family’s car is capable of supersonic speeds and rock-steady hovering, and it folds itself into a briefcase when not in use. Typically, for stories about the future, it is ordinary to its users and astonishing to twentieth-century audiences. Blade Runner(1982) is nominally set in in the first decade of the twenty-first century, but its nightmarish vision of a more distant future. Residents are unfazed, therefore, when flying cars swoop overhead and a flying police cruiser descends vertically into their midst. よろしくお願いします^^;

• 英文を訳してください

次の英文の、主語・動詞・訳を 教えてください   お願いします 1.People sing on the stage 2.Keiko and Sadao run in the ground 3.The baby cries on the bed 4.These books are interesting 5.She is beautiful 6.He is a teacher 7.I wsnt a cup of tea 8.I like Japaneese book 9.I have a lot of money 10.She plays the piano

• 英文の意味が分かりにくい

Goodbye, Columbus  ONE の最後部分ですがイマイチ分かりにくい内容です。 We had to take about two too many steps to keep the approach from being awkward, but we pursued the impulse and kissed. I felt her hand on the back of my neck and so I tugged her towards me, too violently perhaps, and slid my own hands across the side of her body and around to her back. I felt the wet spots on her shoulder blades, and beneath them, I’m sure of it, a faint fluttering, as though something stirred so deep in her breasts, so far back, it could make itself felt through her shirt. It was like the fluttering of wings, tiny wings no bigger than her breasts. The smallness of the wings did not bother me—it would not take an eagle to carry me up those lousy 180 feet that make summer nights so much cooler in Short Hills than they are in Newark. I’m sure of it 以下の具体的なイメージが湧きません。抽象的な内容の様で長くて恐縮なんですが、具体的なイメージが湧くような日本語でザっと訳して頂けないでしょうか? I’m sure of it 以下で結構です。 so far back は、so far in her backの略でbackは背中の意味ですか?間違ってましたら正しい解釈を教えて下さい。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英文の中の単語の意味を教えてください。

Throughout our journey I would like you to continually ask the "Me also?" question as we encounter various forms of evil. We will examine genocide in Rwanda, the mass suicide and murder of Peoples Temple followers in the jungles of Guyana, the My Lai massacre in Vietnam, the horrors of Nazi concentration camps, the torture by military and civilian police around the world, and the sexual abuse of parishioners by Catholic priests, and search for lines of continuity between the scandalous, fraudulent behavior of executives at Enron and World-Com corporations.【 Finally, we will see how some common threads in all these evils run through the recently uncovered abuses of civilian prisoners at Abu Ghraib Prison in Iraq. 】One especially significant thread tying these atrocities together will come out of a body of research in experimental social psychology, particularly a study that has come to be known as the Stanford Prison Experiment.(The Lucifer Effect by P.Zimbardo) 単語の意味がとれないところを教えてください。 【Finally, we will see how some common threads in all these evils run through the recently uncovered abuses of civilian prisoners at Abu Ghraib Prison in Iraq.】  の中に出てくる (1)run throughと(2)uncovered abuses of civilian prisonersです。 (1)は熟語でいろいろ意味があるようなのですが、貫流する、という意味ですか? (2)はuncovered abusesの意味がわかりません。直訳だと覆いのない虐待、でしょうか?どういう意味なのでしょうか? よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英文を訳して下さい。

This experience did not lessen the extent to which the Canadian Corps employed trench raiding with raids being conducted nightly between 20 March and the opening of the offensive on 9 April, resulting in approximately 1,400 additional Canadian casualties. According to Pierre Berton, Canada's most widely read historian of Vimy, the Canadian military inflicted significant casualties upon its own soldiers during the period before April 9. The Canadian use of gas warfare backfired, with phosgene and chlorine gas settling into shell holes where Canadians had sought cover from enemy fire. The Germans operated an active patrolling policy and although not as large and ambitious as those of the Canadian Corps, they also engaged in trench raiding. As an example, a German trench raid launched by 79 men against the 3rd Canadian Division on 15 March 1917 was successful in capturing prisoners and causing damage. The Royal Flying Corps launched a determined effort to gain air superiority over the battlefield in support of the spring offensive. The Canadians considered activities such as artillery spotting, and photography of opposing trench systems, troop movements and gun emplacements essential to continue their offensive. The Royal Flying Corps deployed 25 squadrons totalling 365 aircraft along the Arras sector, outnumbering the Imperial German Army Air Service by 2-to-1.

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 大学生の女性が夢に出てきた小学生の頃の男友達について気になっています。SNSで探しても見つからないため、手紙を送ることを考えていますが、迷惑に思われる可能性や実家を間違えてしまうリスクがあるか心配です。
  • 具体的な手紙の内容としては、夏ごろの同窓会や地元の成人式への参加などの話題を提案することを考えています。しかし、その男友達の母親とトラブルがあり、迷惑がられる可能性もあるため慎重に対応したいと思っています。
  • 質問としては、実際に手紙を送ることで間違いがあった場合のリスクや、手紙を送った際に迷惑に思われない内容についてアドバイスをお願いしたいと思っています。
回答を見る