• ベストアンサー
※ ChatGPTを利用し、要約された質問です(原文:catch herself)

What Does 'Catch Herself' Mean? Explained.

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Find out the meaning of 'catch herself' in the context of the given question article. Discover its importance and usage.
  • 'Catch herself' in this context refers to someone trying to stop themselves from doing something or saying something. In the given situation, it means the mother-in-law initially tried to stop calling the daughter by the nickname 'Tootsie,' but now she continues to do so despite reminders.
  • 'Catch herself' is a phrase that indicates someone's attempt to restrain themselves from a certain behavior. In this case, it refers to the mother-in-law's initial effort to stop calling the daughter by the nickname 'Tootsie.' However, despite gentle reminders, she continues to use the nickname.'

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

ここでのcatch herselfはどのような意味でしょうか? catch oneself は、下記のように「ふと気がつくと~している」と言う意味です。 https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=catch+oneself  彼女(=義母)は、初めは彼女自身を捉える(=無意識に言っている自分に気づく)よう気をつけたが、優しくたしなめてもまだ彼女(=私の娘)をTootsieと、呼び続けている。  (余談ですが、母の継母の姉が、母の実名とは似ても似つかぬ「あやこさん」と言う名で母を呼んでいました。  僕たち兄弟は何百回も文句を言ったのですが効果ゼロでした。一種の自動運転モードに入るとこう言うのが起こるようです。)

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

その他の回答 (1)

• Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9713/12080)
回答No.2

>ここでのcatch herselfはどのような意味でしょうか? ⇒「彼女(義母)は、自分自身(の置かれた状況)を理解する(ように努めた)」。 ☆はじめは、何を求められたのか、何をすればいいのか、すなわち、「私の娘(彼女の義理の孫)の名を"Tootsie"でなく本名で呼ぶように」と言われたことを理解しようとはするが、実際には、相変わらず"Tootsie"と呼んでしまうようですね。(そういう悩み相談の文章です。)

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• 英文和訳お願いします

英文和訳お願いします 自分で調べてみたのですが英文の和訳が分からなくて困っています。 But then she thought a little more, and said to herself: "Poor thing! she's very old, and her clothes are so shabby. It was my own fault. I put tempta-tion in her way. It would be too cruel to call the police and have her arrested. But I can't do my week's shopping if I have no money. お願いします。

• held herself out

I’ve just discovered that my dad has children by another woman (Note to cheaters: Facebook isn’t as secret as you think it is). This other woman has held herself out as my father’s wife. held herself out as my father’s wifeはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

Both of my parents are alcoholics. Every time they drink, they don't know how to act, especially my mom. She is the worst type of drunk a person could be; she urinates on herself, and she yells. There have been times when she has tried to put her hands on me for hiding the alcohol from her. urinates on herselfは「おもらしをする」でしょうか?あと、ここでの put her handsはどのよな意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 訳をよろしくお願いします

I had a friend who I have known since primary school. We were best friends, but I ended up breaking away from her the summer we left high school due to a very negative flaw that grew in our relationship: she made everything about her. I have to admit, her life isn’t pretty, but mine isn’t so nice either, and she refused to acknowledge that, and even accused my requests for reciprocated sympathy as being jealous of her pain. accused my requests for reciprocated sympathy as being jealous of her painの訳をよろしくお願いします

• 英訳(not only ~ but の挿入位置)を教えてください。

次の文を英訳したいのですが、not only, fromの挿入位置はどちらが 正しいでしょうか。または英訳は正しいでしょうか。 文法の説明も一緒に御説明いただけますでしょうか。 In this commercial, Alison, whose vivid beauty comes not only from her appearance but from within herself, shows her natural facial expressions as much as possible, in the costume she has never worn in the film. In this commerscial, Alison, whose vivid beauty comes from not only her appearance but within herself, shows her natural facial expressions as much as possible, in the costume she has never worn in the film. このコマーシャルに、外見だけではなく、内面から美しく輝いたアリソンが、限りなくありのままの素顔に近い表情や、これまでに見せたことのない衣装で登場します。

• double down

Q. Drunk Driving Prevention Ends Friendship: I threw a Halloween party this weekend, and my good friend Alicia came. During the party Alicia drank a lot and became very drunk. Even so, she wanted to drive home at the end of the night. I took her keys and refused to return them to her. I offered to call a cab or a sober friend to drive her home and offered to let her stay in my spare room. Alicia freaked out at me and demanded I return her keys to her. She said she was a grown woman and could make her own decisions. I still refused to give her the keys to her car, so eventually she called another friend to drive her home. The next day Alicia emailed me to demand the return of her car keys—I told her and her friend, when she left, that she could pick up her car as soon as she sobered up—and to tell me our eight-year friendship was over. She accused me of being controlling, disrespectful, crazy, and totally out of line. I am hurt by Alicia’s decision to end our friendship, but I don’t think I did the wrong thing by preventing her from driving drunk. What should I have done? Should I bother reaching out to Alicia and apologizing? A: An apology is owed here: Alicia to you. It would have been nice when she sobered up if she said she appreciated your saving her from killing herself or someone else. Instead she’s doubling down on her right to break the law and endanger the lives of everyone on the road. doubling down on her rightはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします。

• grow absent

I had my daughter about six months ago. In my circle of friends I’m the only to have a baby, so needless to say she gets a lot of attention. One friend in particular seems to be a little obsessed with her, and it kind of freaks me and my husband out. She’s constantly buying things for her, referring to herself as her godmother (she’s not, my sister is, and she knows it). She asks for pictures of her throughout the day to help get her through work, and mentions that while she’s looking for a new job she would never relocate because she wants to be near my daughter. And recently when she comes over, she asks if she can wear her in my baby carrier so people will think she’s her child! I appreciate that she is so supportive of us, and I know most people find their childless friends grow absent once they have a baby, but this is just a little over the top. grow absentはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英文がわかりません。

We walked round the new concrete verge of the old lake, and she continued the story of how she was led to give up general medical practice and take up psychology; and I looked at her as she spoke, through my dark glasses, and because of the softening effect these have upon things I saw her again as I had seen her looking up from the lake, and again as in my childhood. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 because of the softening effect these have upon things I saw her again as I had seen her looking up from the lake, and again as in my childhood.の英文がわからないのですが、 ●as I had seen her looking up from the lakeのasと as in my childhoodのasは、 「~のように」ですか? ●この英文は どのような構造になっているのでしょうか? because of the softening effect 、軟化効果のために、という出だしはわかるのですが。 前文は  "Must you wear those glasses?"  "Well, yes. The glare."  "The wearing of dark glasses," she said, "is a modern psychological phenomenon. It signifies the trend towards impersonalization, the weapon of the modern Inquisitor, it--"  "There's a lot in what you say." But I did not remove my glasses, for I had not asked for her company in the first place, and there is a limit to what one can listen to with the naked eye. となっています。 教えてください。 お願いします。

• かなり長文なんですが・・・。

かなり長くなってしまっていますが、和訳を教えて下さい!お願いします。 Of the two children, the girl showed particular fortitude:aithough she dragged her feet as she walked, she kept up her spirits and tired as best she could not to show her mother or brother how tired she was, and occasionally she would remaind herself to maintain a more resilient step. If the four had been making a pilgrinage to some nearby temple, their appearance would not have been extraordinary, but with their walking sticks and bamboo hats, which added a certain gallant note to their appearance, the group drew every passerby`s curiosity and even sympathy. だいぶ長くなっていて大変申し訳ないのですが、ぜひ教えていただきたいです。

• 意味と用法について教えてください

In January, I finally married the woman of my dreams. "Julie" was sweet and kind, with lots of love to give. Things went well for a few weeks, but then everything changed. Julie has always had issues with depression. She'd be overwhelmed from time to time but always came to me for comfort. Suddenly, she didn't want me near her when she was depressed. As hurt as I was, I gave her the space she wanted. As hurt as I wasの意味と用法について教えてください。よろしくお願いします

このQ&Aのポイント
  • パソコンから印刷ができないトラブルについて、ブラザー製品MFC-J837DNの解決方法をご紹介します。
  • Windows7環境で無線LAN接続している場合、印刷できない問題が発生することがあります。
  • 関連するソフトやアプリの設定を確認し、最新のドライバーをインストールすることで解決する可能性があります。
回答を見る