What Does 'Missed the Memo' Mean?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Find out the meaning of the phrase 'missed the memo' and how it relates to a personal experience in London.
  • Discover the significance of 'missed the memo' in the context of attending a personal development seminar in a different country.
  • Learn about the realization and surprise that comes with being the only non-local participant in a room full of locals.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

どのような意味でしょうか

I went to London, where I’d originally dreamed of riding a big red bus, catching a glimpse of Will and Kate, and cheersing full pints at the local pub. Instead, I found myself wandering down a trash-filled street, desperately trying to match up the address on my iPhone with the myriad gray buildings in front of me. I’d decided to explore a new profession while I was traveling. So, I was headed to a free (borderline-cheesy-looking) personal development seminar that Saturday morning. The rest of the people in the room were impressive, super-smart, and overly kind. Even more surprisingly, every single one of them were locals. 60 Londoners, and one traveling American—me. That’s when it dawned on me, while we all sacrificed our Saturday, to sit in a room full of strangers and “check out” a new potential passion— they were doing this in their hometown, without quitting their day jobs. Somehow, I missed the memo. 最後のmissed the memoはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4133/5370)
  • 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数5

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.3

これは、イディオムのget the memoの変化形ですね通例否定形でdidn't get the memoの形で使われますが、missed the memoでも同じことです。 https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/get-the-memo https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=get+the+memo https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/miss_the_memo Missed the memoで、「知っていて当然の事を知らなかった。」ですから、 集まりに来た人たちが、地元の別に仕事を辞めて来た人たちばかりでなく、自分だけが浮いていて「まさかこうなるとは自分は思いもしなかった。」という事です。 実際にそういうメモがあって見逃したという意味ではありませんし、メモを取りたかったという意味でもありません。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (3)

• ベストアンサー率47% (260/542)
回答No.4

missed the memo で、「自分が置かれている状況、現状に気がついていなかった」。恐らく、考えてみれば当たり前の、どこにでも書かれていそうななことを見落としていた、と言うところから来ているのでしょう。 この文全体では、筆者がロンドンに旅行に行ってそこで職を探すためにセミナーに参加したら、そこに集まっていた人が自分を除いて全員ロンドンの人達で、平日ではなく土曜日に新しいやりがいを探しに来ていたのを見て、何もやりがいのあることを見つけるのに仕事をやめて度に出る必要など無いと言う事に気がついた。と言う流れ。それで最後に、どうやらそんな基本的な事にを見落としていた、と言う意味で、Somehow, I missed the memo. と言っています。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

• Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9729/12103)
回答No.2

>最後のmissed the memoはどのような意味でしょうか? ⇒「メモを取らなかったのは残念だ」。 大勢のロンドンっ子たちに混じってセミナーに参加したときのことですね。自分としては、新しい職業を探究するための開発セミナーだったのに、その時の経験や知見を覚え書に記録しておけばよかったなあと、ちょっと後悔めいた気持ちを込めて言っているように思います。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

最後のmissed the memoはどのような意味でしょうか?  自分以外はみんな地元の人で、すでに職があり、新しい(professionではなく)passion を求めているので職探しの場ではない、  どうやら私はメモ(の要点)を逃していた(らしい、メモをちゃんと読めばよかった)ということでしょう。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• どのような意味でしょうか

And the insults never stopped. She said I only got the job because they were looking for people who were neither young nor attractive. (She should know.) She never missed an opportunity to humiliate or belittle me. It only took one week to hate that job and realize the one I left wasn't so bad, but there was nothing to do but tough it out. After seven months, I was laid off due to lack of work. I honestly believe I worked myself out of a job. worked myself out of a jobとはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• I and he? me and him?

エッセイを書いていて疑問が持ちあがりました。 最初はA)の様に書いたのですが、Me and himというのが文法的に正しいかわからなかったのでB)の様に書き換えました。 A) I appreciated to his understanding. Me and him created great relationship while I was living in the room. B) I appreciated to his understanding and I created good relationship while I was living in the room. A)は間違いでしょうか?教えてください、お願いします。

• I and he? Me and him?

エッセイを書いていて疑問が持ちあがりました。 最初はA)の様に書いたのですが、Me and himというのが文法的に正しいかわからなかったのでB)の様に書き換えました。 A) I appreciated to his understanding. Me and him created great relationship while I was living in the room. B) I appreciated to his understanding and I created good relationship while I was living in the room. A)は間違いでしょうか?教えてください、お願いします。

• 意味をよろしくお願いします

I ended up traveling to the other side of the country to follow that path, and my hard work eventually led nowhere. I went from having a trajectory of purposeful busyness to, like most people, getting what I could. Very abruptly, a lot of people, including people I thought were friends, lost interest in my activities and questioned the legitimacy of the lesser things I did for a living. a trajectory of purposeful busynessとlegitimacy of the lesser thingsの意味をよろしくお願いします

• 英文で意味の分からない所があります

“No. I go to school in Boston.” I disliked her for the answer. Whenever anyone has asked me where I went to school I come right out with it: Newark Colleges of Rutgers University. I may say it a bit too ringingly, too fast, too up-in-the-air, but I say it. For an instant Brenda reminded me of the pug-nosed little bastards from Montclair who come down to the library during vacations. While I stamp out their books, they stand around tugging their elephantine scarves until they hang to their ankles, hinting all the while at “Boston” and “New Haven.” 上記のWhile I stamp out their books, they stand around tugging their elephantine scarves until they hang to their anklesの意味する所が分かりません。 分かる方宜しくお願いします。

• この英文の意味を教えてはいただけないでしょうか?

こんにちは。 お世話になります。 英語初学者です。 下記に挙げます英文が理解できず、困り果てております。 Emma was happy to entertain their friends, although many of them were closer in age to her father than to her. But on one of these evenings Emma was luckier because one of their neighbours brought a young friend with her. 教えていただきたいのですが、この場合の「with her」のherとは、Emmaを指しているのでしょうか? それとも、「one of their neighbours」を指しているのでしょうか? また、もしEmmaを指していた場合、ニュアンスとしては「彼女に合わせるために連れてきた」となるのでしょうか? どなたか、教えてはいただけないでしょうか? よろしくお願いいたします。

• 和訳お願いします。

Edison assigned a man to make a few thousand kinds of alloys,varying in proportion of mixture with different chemicals.It was Kruesi's job to plane the thermopiles down to neat bars,all of the same size. When they were brought to me,I tested them with the Thomson reflecting galvanometer, while I heated their junction with a Bunsen burner.Their resistance generally was high in comparison to that of a single wet battery,and their electromotive force was generally very low a fraction of the e.m.f of a simple Daniell wet cell.

• よろしくお願いします

While out of town with my boyfriend, we went to the breakfast buffet at our hotel. We were the only ones in the room of the help-yourself-style breakfast. They were out of cream cheese at the time and I found myself disappointed. Trying to be helpful, my boyfriend went into fixer mode and helped me look around the room to see if I’d missed it or if we could find a stash to replenish the supply, which included him quickly checking in what I’d assumed to be an unlocked closet/storage area. went into fixer modeはどのような意味でしょうか?あと、if we could find a stash to replenish the supply, which included him quickly checking in what I’d assumed to be an unlocked closet/storage area.の和訳もお願いします。よろしくお願いします

• この英文メールの意味を知りたいのですが。。。。

アメリカにいる友達から下記のようなメールをもらいました。なんだかイマイチ意味がよくわかりません。だいたいのニュアンスでけっこうですので、教えてください。これを書いた時の友達の心理とかも(もしわかるようでしたら)お願いします。 God still sits on the throne. Each of you is going through a tough time right now but God is getting ready to bless you in a way that only He can. Keep the faith. My instructions were to pick four people that I wanted God to bless, and I picked you. Please pass this to at least four people you want to be blessed and a copy back to me. This prayer is powerful, and prayer is one of the best gifts we receive. There is no cost but a lot of rewards. Let's continue to pray for one another.Here is the prayer: Father, I ask You to bless my friends, relatives and email buddies reading this right now. Show them a new revelation of Your love and power.Holy Spirit, I ask You to minister to their spirit at this very moment.Where there is pain, give them Your peace and mercy. Where there is self-doubt, release a renewed confidence through Your grace. Bless their homes, families, finances, their goings and their comings.In Jesus' precious name. Amen.

• all that entails

I feel upset and disillusioned by how my old friends behave toward me. I am 27, in a friendship group of five women. One of the women is going to get married soon with all that entails. I feel like while everyone is kind to each other in the group and celebrates their successes and lives, I am overlooked and even ignored, often. friendship groupは「友達のグループ」でいいでしょうか?with all that entailsとはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします