主人公の部屋の様子とジェイミーの楽器

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 主人公の部屋はシンプルで、壁は淡い色、天井は白、窓の周りはダークウッドです。ただし、眺めは最高です。隣の家の列と谷を見渡すことができます。
  • ジェイミーの部屋は主人公の部屋よりも広く、本や雑誌、コミックス、寝具、梱包ケース、空の箱、未開封の箱、ポスターなどでいっぱいです。窓の近くには三脚に乗った小さな赤い望遠鏡があり、それには壁に大きなカードが丁寧に貼られています。カードには何かの地図かもしれないが、散乱した小さな点や大きな点や数字や言葉がまったく意味をなしていません。
  • 本棚の一つには、使い古された赤いベルベットで裏打ちされた小さな黒いケースがあります。ジェイミーはそこに自分のクラリネットを保管しています。学校が始まると、彼の両親は彼に新しい先生を見つけて、彼は新しい曲を学んで私にも演奏する予定です。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

わからない個所を教えてください。1

Apart from these things, my room is quite bare: the walls are pale, the ceiling white, the surround of the window dark wood. The best thing is the view: right along the row of our neighbours’ houses and up the valley.(前回の終わりの部分です) Jamie’s room is much larger. Although there is more space, it all seems to be filled: with books and magazines and comics, with bedclothes, with packing cases and boxes both empty and half-full and unopened, with posters – rolled up and piled untidily in a corner. Near the window is a little red telescope on a tripod, pointing out, and by it on the wall is pinned, carefully, a large piece of card which looks as if it might be a map of something, though the scattered mass of little dots and larger dots and numbers and words makes no sense to me at all.  On one of the bookshelves is a small black case, lined with worn red velvet, in which Jamie keeps his clarinet. He’s played it to me several times. Once school starts, his parents are going to find him a new teacher here, and he’ll learn new pieces, and play those to me as well. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は幼い頃の回想シーンです。 Near the window is a little red telescope on a tripod, pointing outのpointing outとはどういう意味ですか?~を指摘する、ですか? by it on the wall is pinned~の主語は何になるのでしょうか? itの前にbyがついていてよくわからなくなってしまいました。 Once school starts, his parents are going to find him a new teacher here, and he’ll learn new pieces, and play those to me as well. のOnceは、一旦~すれば、の意味ですか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • 92128bwsd
  • ベストアンサー率58% (2275/3919)
回答No.2

Near the window is a little red telescope on a tripod, pointing outのpointing outとはどういう意味ですか?~を指摘する、ですか? ⇒ 「窓の近くには小さな赤い望遠鏡があって三脚の上に乗って、外を向いている。」 つまり、pointing outは、望遠鏡が外を指していると言う意味。 ここの文型は、倒置になっていて、もとはA little red telescope on a tripod is near the window, pointing out ですが、こう言う倒置って状況を描写するのによく使われ、日本語的な感覚でもあたまから順番にイメージしていけば良いのでそう考えると理解しやすいです。まず窓を思い浮かべて、その近くに小さな、赤い望遠鏡。それが三脚の上に乗ってる。で窓から外に向いている。 by it on the wall is pinned~の主語は何になるのでしょうか? itの前にbyがついていてよくわからなくなってしまいました。 ⇒ これも前からの描写の続きですが、by itは「その望遠鏡の傍らに」。その後がまた倒置になっています。on the wall is pinned, carefully, a large piece of card は、A large piece of card is pinned, carefully, on the wall. つまり、主語はA large piece of card。この場合は、このカードの説明がその後長いので倒置していると思いますが、最初から順番に、まず窓に目をやると望遠鏡があって三脚にのっててその横に何かが丁寧にピン留めされていて何か見るとそれが一枚のカードでそれをよく見ると小さな点や大きな点それに数字が書いてあって... みたいに、自分の視線を文に従って移していくと、段々とそこに何があるか見えてくるので、臨場感が感じられる書き方です。そうやって楽しみながら読むと良いですよ。 Once school starts, his parents are going to find him a new teacher here, and he’ll learn new pieces, and play those to me as well. のOnceは、一旦~すれば、の意味ですか? ⇒ そうです。ひとたび~すれば、みたいな意味。でも野暮ったいので訳にいれなくて良いと思います。「(ひとたび)学校が始まったら、彼の親はここで新しい先生を見つけて、彼は新しい曲を習って、そしてまた僕に聞かせてくれる」

aduagrean
質問者

お礼

とても詳しく回答してくださってありがとうございました! Near the window is a little red telescope on a tripodが倒置で、 pointing outが分詞構文だとすると意味上の主語はa little red telescopeになりますね。(この辺あまりよく読めていませんでした。)望遠鏡が外を指している、ということなのですね。 並んでいる単語をイメージしていって全体を把握しても良いのですね。 by itは「その望遠鏡の傍らに」、ですね。 by it on the wall is pinned, carefully, a large piece of card ~の個所も倒置なのですね。 Once school starts~のところ、訳していただいてありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (1)

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

1。Near the window is a little red telescope on a tripod, pointing outのpointing outとはどういう意味ですか?~を指摘する、ですか?  望遠鏡は「外へ」「屋外へ」「窓に外に」向いているわけです。 2。by it on the wall is pinned~の主語は何になるのでしょうか? itの前にbyがついていてよくわからなくなってしまいました。  a large piece of card です。 3。Once school starts, his parents are going to find him a new teacher here, and he’ll learn new pieces, and play those to me as well. のOnceは、一旦~すれば、の意味ですか?  はいそうです、ここでは「学校が一旦始まると、彼の昇進はここで(=この街で)新しい(クラリネットの)先生を探し、彼は新しい曲を習い、僕にも聞かせてくれることになっていてた」

aduagrean
質問者

お礼

とてもわかりやすく回答してくださってありがとうございました! pointing outは望遠鏡が外に向いているということなのですね。なるほどです。 by it on the wall is pinned~の主語はa large piece of cardなのですね。 ここは主語が後ろに来ているのですね。 Once school starts~のところ、訳していただいてありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• わからない個所を教えてください。

Once I see one with two tails, lighter than the rest of its body; it lives somewhere near where the wall adjoins Signora Cassi’s house, and I wonder if it has been caught in the kitchen by Lucia.(前回の終わりの部分です) I go along to the end of the wall, and laboriously find footholds and handholds to help me clamber up. I peer over the top, and for a moment I don’t see him, he is standing so still. The garden here is, again, larger than ours, and sunnier as well. There aren’t so many trees, and some angle of the valley side seems to have positioned the lawn so that it catches the evening sun straight-on. The doors and windows of the house, all around the ground floor, are open, and I can hear voices – a man and a woman – inside. There are some of the boxes that came from the van, standing on the edge of the grass, waiting to be taken in. I let my attention wander around the garden, and it is now that I see him: in the shade of a tall purple bush in the border, standing with his hands in his pockets, looking upwards towards where the valley crest reaches the skyline. For a second I think he is looking right at me, but then I see the faraway expression on his face, and know he hasn’t seen me. We stay like that for some time more, he staring at the horizon, I staring at him, like children frozen in a fairytale. Then my foot slips a little, and the sound reaches him, and he shivers and sees me. He looks at once wary, but almost as quickly the wariness vanishes and is replaced by curiosity. He glances towards the house, once, then runs across the garden until he’s standing below me. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。(この英文は子供時代の回想シーンだと思われます) There are some of the boxes that came from the van, standing on the edge of the grass, waiting to be taken in.のbe taken inは、家の中に持ち込まれる、という意味ですか? Then my foot slips a little, and the sound reaches him, and he shivers and sees me.の中でhe shivers and sees me.とありますが、彼が震えたのは(he shivers)、我に返った、みたいな感じですか? He looks at once wary, but almost as quickly the wariness vanishes and is replaced by curiosity.の中のas quicklyのところは、as quickly as の意味ですか?できるだけ早く? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

On the floor beside me are my things: a case with clothes, another with sketch pads and boards, inks, pens and pencils, charcoal, Conté, tubes of acrylic and watercolour and oils, brushes, linseed oil and turpentine and white spirit, rags and nibs and craft knives. More than I’ll need, I am sure, but I find it difficult to decide what not to take: some part of me hates the decision, and I always end up carrying too much.(前回の終りの部分です) On the other bed are Anna’s bags and cases. I glance at them, and the way the sun is falling across them from the open window makes me think for a moment that they would be good to draw – even if only a quick thumbnail sketch. But I am too lazy and tired. I let my eyes go back to the plaster of the wall, which is traced with patterns of age like maps. The room is very tall and light, with a high doorway and high, shuttered windows, the shutters now hooked back to let in the afternoon. There is a second door through to the bathroom, and from this comes the sound of water hissing on tiles, sometimes constant, sometimes shifting its pitch. I realize after listening for a while that the changes must be Anna moving about under the flow, blocking it more and less from moment to moment with her body. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。AnnaはAlexの幼なじみです。 I let my eyes go back to the plaster of the wall, which is traced with patterns of age like maps. のwhich is traced with patterns of age like maps.の意味がよくわかりません。地図のような年代のパターンでトレースされた、ですか?どんな感じなのでしょうか? The room is very tall and light, with a high doorway and high, shuttered windows, the shutters now hooked back to let in the afternoon. のthe shutters now hooked back to let in the afternoon.の意味がわかりません。シャッターは今後ろに引っ掛けられています?to let in the afternoon?? I realize after listening for a while that the changes must be Anna moving about under the flow, blocking it more and less from moment to moment with her body.のthe changes must be Anna ~の個所が抽象的なのかなんなのか、全然意味が掴めません。(blocking it のitはthe changesなのでしょうか?) 小説における表現を読み取るのが難しいです。 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

Jamie is nowhere to be seen. After a few minutes of walking back and forth, I settle down to wait, finding a comfortable place to sit and raking together a pile of pebbles to throw at the larger rocks. It is warm and I feel lazy and happy.(前回の終わりの部分です) Lena and I go for a walk up the valley. Sometimes we do this, though not often; more usually our walks take us down, to the shops and the central square and the piglets and the drinking-fountain. I like the drinking-fountain a lot. The bronze lion’s head, with its snarlingly open mouth and constant stream of bright water, entrances me. Even when we are sitting at Toni’s waiting for ice-creams and Cokes, I keep my eye on it. This afternoon, though, we go further along the road, and then, once we are quite far from the town, down a side-track that Lena says once led to one of the outlying farms. Lena is telling me stories, too – some of which I’ve heard before and know almost by heart – and keeping her eyes open for wild herbs growing by the track: sage, sorrel and thyme, to pick and use in the kitchen. A bunch of wild myrtle hung at the window will keep the flies away. I go happily along with her, sometimes running ahead and waiting for her to catch me up, sometimes carrying her basket for her. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は現在からまた過去のシーンに戻っているように思われます。 Sometimes we do this, though not often; more usually our walks take us down, to the shops and the central square and the piglets and the drinking-fountain.の中に、the pigletsとあるのですが、子豚、という意味ですか? the central squareは中央広場、the drinking-fountainは噴水式水飲み器だと思うのですが、そこにthe pigletsが出てくるのがわかりません。 This afternoon, though, we go further along the road, and then, once we are quite far from the town, down a side-track that Lena says once led to one of the outlying farms. の中に出てくるonceは、once we are quite far from the town,は”一度”、Lena says once led to one of the outlying farms.は”かつて”の意味ですか? down a side-track that Lena says once led to one of the outlying farms.についてですが、ledの主語はa side-trackですか?Lenaが言うかつて遠くの農場の一つに導いた側線を下り?(a side-trackとは鉄道に関する線のことですか?) 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

Chapter Four In bare feet I light some of the candles I have placed around the room, and the cheerful light they cast drives away some of the shadows that have been tugging at me. I don’t feel ready to sleep yet. I want to think of something to push the uneasy memory of these fragments away, to give me something else to concentrate on as I lie in bed. Some part of me is aware that the old childhood fear could so easily come back to life now; the fear that I will wake, in a moment, to find myself old and dying, my life already spent. I can’t face that again. So I take one of the candles and wander the house with it, eventually finding my way upstairs. Once I am in my old bedroom, it seems the most obvious thing in the world to open the window there, and to sit on the sill, looking up the valley at night. (前回の終わりの部分です) I know this view to the last detail. The darkness obscures many of the small changes that are doubtless there, and would be clamouring their presence to me were it daylight. Now, though, I am only conscious that the branches of the tree that cut off the left-hand part of the horizon are longer by some small amount, and that the sound of the World Service radio is missing from downstairs. Above, the stars are unchanged; I look for Orion, and find him almost at once, a small smile of acknowledgement twitching the corner of my mouth. There are a few clouds low on the line of hills, but leaning out of the window I can see that the sky overhead is clear. *************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに帰ってきています。 The darkness obscures many of the small changes that are doubtless there, and would be clamouring their presence to me were it daylight.の、would be clamouring their presence to me were it daylightがよくわかりません。 英文の構造はどうなっているのでしょうか? wereが動詞、itは?? Now, though, I am only conscious that the branches of the tree that cut off the left-hand part of the horizon are longer by some small amount,について、ここは木の枝がどうなっている状態なのでしょうか? I look for Orion, and find him almost at once, a small smile of acknowledgement twitching the corner of my mouth.ここの a small smile of acknowledgement~の意味するところは、オリオン座を見つけたのでちょっと微笑んだ、という感じなのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

and how finally it became so accepted that now there are younger artists who make their own fusions from it, and find in it new barriers to be broken down. Sometimes it makes me laugh, and sometimes it makes me angry. Right now, I find I hardly care: they all seem so very far away.(前回の終わりの部分です) I try to arrange them vaguely as they will be in the gallery. It’s to be a chronology, from my earliest work through to the present day. A retrospective. I deal out the photographs like a fortune-teller arranging the cards, spreading them out on the boards, first to last in a wide arc. Gradually the sense of them starts to become apparent: the shifts of style and focus that have happened over the years. I sit in their centre, staring, puzzling, trying to see what it is that feels so wrong – so incomplete – about them. There must be something. It’s strong enough to have made it impossible for me to stay any longer in London; and yet at the same time it’s so slight that I can’t get hold of it, can’t lay my hand on it. All I know for sure is that something is missing. Even that shred of understanding is new to me, has come only with this business of the exhibition, and the gathering together of the pictures that it’s involved. Individually, the paintings are whole. Seen together, they are— I can’t understand. I stare at them, frowning, and the colours shift under the intensity of my gaze: change for a moment and are darker, as if a cloud has come over the sky and cut out all the light of the sun— ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。 I deal out the photographs like a fortune-teller arranging the cards, spreading them out on the boards, first to last in a wide arc.のfirst to last in a wide arcの個所がよくわかりません。first to lastは最初から終わりまで、という意味ですか? in a wide arcは幅広の弧を描いて、みたいな意味でしょうか?どういうことを言っているのでしょうか? I sit in their centre, staring, puzzling, trying to see what it is that feels so wrong – so incomplete – about them.のthat feelsのthatは何を指しているのでしょうか?the sense of photographsですか? It’s strong enough to have made it impossible for me to stay any longer in London;の英文の構造がわかりません。 最初のItはThere must be somethingのsomethingですか? to have made itのitはto stay any longer in Londonですか? それは(何かがあるに違いないということは)私がロンドンにこれ以上とどまっているのことを不可能にしたという事に十分強い(理由?)です?? つまりその何かを探しにイタリアに来ないわけにはいかなかった、と言う事でしょうか? Even that shred of understanding is new to me, has come only with this business of the exhibition, and the gathering together of the pictures that it’s involved.のit’s involvedのitも前述のsomethingなのでしょうか? Individually, the paintings are whole. Seen together, they are—のthey are—のところはどういう事が言えずにいる感じなのでしょうか? 個々に、絵は完全(全体?)です。全体として見られて、それらは・・・? I can’t understand.の個所が行替えになっているのですが、何を理解できないと言っているのかが掴めません。Individually, the paintings are wholeの個所のことでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

I can feel my mind floating through the questions, drifting. There is almost a physical sensation. I remember this. I remember it from very, very long ago, and I fight it, pushing it back from me.(前回の終わりの部分です) Jamie says, ‘Oh, Alex is no good with things like that. If you leave him alone he goes dreamy. He’s probably been sitting doing that half the time.’ He grins, and his eyes sparkle for a moment in the afternoon sun. ‘He’s mad,’ he adds. There is a broken pane of glass in the French windows next to me, cracked where a stone has struck it. I stare at it: the central star-like contact point, the silver-edged cracks radiating from it like ribbons of metal. I force Jamie’s voice from my head and concentrate instead on this broken pane, staring at it with a kind of foolish fixation, as though it will keep from me these ghost voices. The little fused nebula of dense, almost white craquelure around the hole – a starburst, a sudden splash in flat-calm water, like gossamer— Anna’s hands reaching above me, her neatness, her precision, and a deep blue that is almost black – set with stars— ****************************************** 「The Dandelion clock」からの英文です。 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。JamieとAnnaはAlexの幼な友達です。(If you leave him alone he goes dreamy. He’s probably been sitting doing that half the time.の中のheは誰を指しているのかはよくわかりません) ************************************* There is a broken pane of glass in the French windows next to me,の意味を取ると、「私の隣にフランス窓があって、壊れた一枚のガラスがあります」みたいな感じですか?next to me=私の隣に? I force Jamie’s voice from my head and concentrate instead on this broken pane, staring at it with a kind of foolish fixation, as though it will keep from me these ghost voices.のinsteadのところがわからないのですが、Jamieの声を私の頭から追いやるよりも、この壊れた窓ガラスに集中する、ですか? Anna’s hands reaching above me, her neatness, her precision, and a deep blue that is almost black – set with stars— のher precisionは「彼女の精密さ」ですか?意味的にどういうことを言っているのかちょっとピンとこないのですが。 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

Chapter Four In bare feet I light some of the candles I have placed around the room, and the cheerful light they cast drives away some of the shadows that have been tugging at me. I don’t feel ready to sleep yet. I want to think of something to push the uneasy memory of these fragments away, to give me something else to concentrate on as I lie in bed. Some part of me is aware that the old childhood fear could so easily come back to life now; the fear that I will wake, in a moment, to find myself old and dying, my life already spent. I can’t face that again. So I take one of the candles and wander the house with it, eventually finding my way upstairs. Once I am in my old bedroom, it seems the most obvious thing in the world to open the window there, and to sit on the sill, looking up the valley at night. ****************************** (前回質問させていただいたところで三章は終わりました。) 主人公のAlexはartistで、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに帰ってきています。 最後の Once I am in my old bedroom, it seems the most obvious thing in the world to open the window there, and to sit on the sill, looking up the valley at night.の意味が上手く掴めません。 一旦、私が古びた寝室にいるならば、夜に谷を見あげながらそこで窓を開け、敷居に座ることはこの世の中で最もあきらかなことに思われる? これはどういうことを言っているのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

She had said it was like the night sky when the sun has died, but the real night hasn’t yet come. I can see her reaching up to paint in the last details: careful, always accurate, until at last the ceiling is set with glittering silver against an expanse of blue-black that pulls your eye in and in for ever.(前回の終わりの部分です)                 *  *  * There is the sound of running water from the shower; the faint sound of traffic from the main street, a long way away; the occasional agitated burring of a Vespa in the little side-street over which the window opens. Florence is warm and easy and the spring air fills the room. I am lying on my bed, shoes off, staring at the plaster on the wall opposite, listening to the sounds. On the floor beside me are my things: a case with clothes, another with sketch pads and boards, inks, pens and pencils, charcoal, Conté, tubes of acrylic and watercolour and oils, brushes, linseed oil and turpentine and white spirit, rags and nibs and craft knives. More than I’ll need, I am sure, but I find it difficult to decide what not to take: some part of me hates the decision, and I always end up carrying too much. ****************************************** 「The Dandelion clock」からの英文です。 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。 the occasional agitated burring of a Vespa in the little side-street over which the window opens. の the occasional agitated burring of a Vespa の意味がわかりません。 the occasional・・時たまの、agitate・・揺り動かす burring of a Vespa・・ヴェスパのイガ?? More than I’ll need, I am sure, but I find it difficult to decide what not to take: some part of me hates the decision, and I always end up carrying too much.についてですが、 More than I’ll need・・私が必要とするよりもっと?(More than I’ll needが文頭にきているところが文の構造としてわかりにくいです) I am sure・・私はわかっている(このわかっている、というのは次のbut I find~のことですか?) I find it difficult to decide what not to take・・何をとるべきではないということを決定することが難しいとわかる some part of me hates the decision・・私の一部は決定を嫌う I always end up carrying too much・・私は結局多く抱えてしまう(muchは副詞ですか?形容詞?) 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。その2

(その1からの続きです) Then he says, ‘Oh, listen, Alex. There's something I meant to say to you before you left. You know Julia Connell?' ‘Of course,' I say. ‘She's got this idea for the catalogue; a kind of overview of your work in conversation with the artist. She wants to meet up and talk to you about some of the paintings –hang on –I have it right here—' ‘Max?' I say. ‘Max, can you hear me?' There's a moment's pause, and then, ‘Yes,' he says. ‘Have you got a bad line?' ‘I don't know,' I say. ‘You just sound –very distant.' ‘Oh. I'll try to speak up. Yes –it says here that she wants to cover themes in your work, and she's listed a few. She wanted me to ask you if you can think these over and come up with some ideas –you know, why they feature, what significance they have for you, symbolism, all that. Then she'll talk to you and turn it all into some kind of stream-of-consciousness thing. I think –yes, she says she wants to run it along the bottom third of some of the catalogue pages, with the pictures and the notes on them above. Can you visualize that? Alex?' ****************************************** ‘She's got this idea for the catalogue; a kind of overview of your work in conversation with the artist. She wants to meet up and talk to you about some of the paintings –hang on –I have it right here—' ここでthis idea=a kind of overview of your work in conversation with the artist.ですか? I have it right here—のitは何を指しているのでしょうか? rightは「ちょうど」、という意味ですか? Then she'll talk to you and turn it all into some kind of stream-of-consciousness thing. I think –yes, she says she wants to run it along the bottom third of some of the catalogue pages, with the pictures and the notes on them above. の中にある turn itと run itのitはthis ideaですか? along the bottom third of some of the catalogue pagesの中のthirdは三番目という意味でしょうか?カタログページのいくつかの三番目の底に沿って?ですか?意味がとれないのですが。。 三分の一という意味ですか? 最後のwith the pictures and the notes on them aboveのon themはthe catalogue pagesにという意味だと思うのですが、最後にaboveがついているのがわかりません。 細かくなってしまいましたが、教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

– these are fragments of reality, snatched from the past and creeping up around me in the present. It’s something I’ve learnt to live without all my adult life, and now it’s here, it’s back, and I can’t even control it. I might have expected to think of Jamie and Anna once or twice while I was here – but not this, not this.(前回の終わりの部分です) In the evening, I try to lose myself in the pictures. I open the case and spread them out on the floor of the sitting room, covering the boards with rectangles of colour. From them, faces look out at me, their features fractured and then regathered, as if seen through a thousand cracked lenses at once. I remember how the critics first called this style of mine a bastardization of cubism; and how later they found in it a fusion of styles that they were pleased to decide broke down the barriers between formal movements in painting; and how finally it became so accepted that now there are younger artists who make their own fusions from it, and find in it new barriers to be broken down. Sometimes it makes me laugh, and sometimes it makes me angry. Right now, I find I hardly care: they all seem so very far away. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。 I open the case and spread them out on the floor of the sitting room, covering the boards with rectangles of colour.のrectangles of colour.の部分がわかりません。色の長方形??どういうことなのでしょうか? their features fractured and then regatheredというのは、"砕けたものがまた集められている特徴"=主人公の制作した絵についての特徴ですか?(ちょっとどんな絵なのか想像するのが難しいです) how later they found in it a fusion of styles that they were pleased to decide broke down the barriers between formal movements in painting;の内容が難しいです。どんなに後に、批評家たちが決めることを喜んだスタイルの融合をその中に見出し、絵画の中に正式な変化の間に障壁を壊したか、という訳ですか?? 構造としては、decideとbroke downのところは切れているのでしょうか?that以下はthey were pleased to decideまでですか? in itのitはthis style of mineですか? betweenは何かと何かの間を指しているのでしょうか? Sometimes it makes me laugh, and sometimes it makes me angry.とあり、なんとなく、批評家たちが主人公の芸術作品をキュービズムの粗悪化と言ったにも関わらず、実はそうではなかったということに対して笑ったり、怒ったりしている感じがするのですが、 fusionsと barriersとbroke downが具体的にはどういう感じの事をいっているのかがわかりません。fusionsとは? barriersとは?何を融合し、何が障壁なのか? they all seem so very far away.のtheyとはthe critics first called this style of mine a bastardization of cubismとyounger artists ですか? たくさんの質問になってしまってすみません。教えてください。