アーティストがイタリアに戻る展示会の準備中に生じた疑問点

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 主人公のAlexは展示会の準備のためにイタリアに戻ってきた。彼は部屋にある物を眺めながら、何を持っていくか決めるのが難しいと感じる。
  • 部屋には高いドアやシャッター付きの窓があり、午後の光を取り入れるためにシャッターが後ろに引っ掛けられている。
  • しばらく聞いていると、音の変化はAnnaが体を動かして流れをブロックしていることに気付く。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

わからない個所を教えてください。

On the floor beside me are my things: a case with clothes, another with sketch pads and boards, inks, pens and pencils, charcoal, Conté, tubes of acrylic and watercolour and oils, brushes, linseed oil and turpentine and white spirit, rags and nibs and craft knives. More than I’ll need, I am sure, but I find it difficult to decide what not to take: some part of me hates the decision, and I always end up carrying too much.(前回の終りの部分です) On the other bed are Anna’s bags and cases. I glance at them, and the way the sun is falling across them from the open window makes me think for a moment that they would be good to draw – even if only a quick thumbnail sketch. But I am too lazy and tired. I let my eyes go back to the plaster of the wall, which is traced with patterns of age like maps. The room is very tall and light, with a high doorway and high, shuttered windows, the shutters now hooked back to let in the afternoon. There is a second door through to the bathroom, and from this comes the sound of water hissing on tiles, sometimes constant, sometimes shifting its pitch. I realize after listening for a while that the changes must be Anna moving about under the flow, blocking it more and less from moment to moment with her body. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。AnnaはAlexの幼なじみです。 I let my eyes go back to the plaster of the wall, which is traced with patterns of age like maps. のwhich is traced with patterns of age like maps.の意味がよくわかりません。地図のような年代のパターンでトレースされた、ですか?どんな感じなのでしょうか? The room is very tall and light, with a high doorway and high, shuttered windows, the shutters now hooked back to let in the afternoon. のthe shutters now hooked back to let in the afternoon.の意味がわかりません。シャッターは今後ろに引っ掛けられています?to let in the afternoon?? I realize after listening for a while that the changes must be Anna moving about under the flow, blocking it more and less from moment to moment with her body.のthe changes must be Anna ~の個所が抽象的なのかなんなのか、全然意味が掴めません。(blocking it のitはthe changesなのでしょうか?) 小説における表現を読み取るのが難しいです。 教えてください。お願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • 92128bwsd
  • ベストアンサー率58% (2275/3919)
回答No.2

> I let my eyes go back to the plaster of the wall, which is traced with patterns of age like maps. のwhich is traced with patterns of age like maps.の意味がよくわかりません。地図のような年代のパターンでトレースされた、ですか?どんな感じなのでしょうか? ⇒「地図のように年代によって模様が刻まれた」。これは、年月がたって(age) しみや傷、ひびなどで、地図のような模様が描かれたように見える漆喰の壁と言うことと思います。 The room is very tall and light, with a high doorway and high, shuttered windows, the shutters now hooked back to let in the afternoon. のthe shutters now hooked back to let in the afternoon.の意味がわかりません。シャッターは今後ろに引っ掛けられています?to let in the afternoon?? ⇒ hocked back のback は、後ろではなく、「戻る」と言う意味で、hooked back で、シャッターが開けられて窓の上にまとめて留められている様子を表していると思います。let in the afternoonは、その開いたシャッターから「午後を招き入れる」。かなり比喩的ですが、その日の午後の風景、光などでしょう。窓ガラスがあいているかどうかわからないので、風や音まで招き入れているかどうかはわかりませんが。 I realize after listening for a while that the changes must be Anna moving about under the flow, blocking it more and less from moment to moment with her body.のthe changes must be Anna ~の個所が抽象的なのかなんなのか、全然意味が掴めません。(blocking it のitはthe changesなのでしょうか?) ⇒ この文章の前に、” from this comes the sound of water hissing on tiles, sometimes constant, sometimes shifting its pitch.” とありますが、それが導線になっていると思います。「そこからタイルの上で水が立てるシューッと言う音が聞こえている。ある時は一定して、ある時は音の調子を変えながら。」この変化を聞いていて、Annaのことと結びつけたのでしょう。 「しばらく聞いた後、その変化が流れの中で動き回るAnnaに違いないと感じた。その流れ(it) を時として強く、時として弱く彼女の体で受け止めながら。」 かなり比喩的なのですが、この文でわからないのは、the flowが何の比喩になっているのか。それはどこか別のところに書いてあるのでしょう。

aduagrean
質問者

お礼

詳しく解説してくださってありがとうございました。 which is traced with patterns of age like mapsのところは、しみや傷、ひびなどで、地図のような模様に描かれたように見える、ということなのですね。なるほどです。 hocked backとlet in the afternoonのところもわかりました。 比喩的な表現は読み取るのが難しいですが、回答をいただいて助かりました。 ありがとうございます!

その他の回答 (1)

• Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9726/12098)
回答No.1

>I let my eyes go back to the plaster of the wall, which is traced with patterns of age like maps. のwhich is traced with patterns of age like maps.の意味がよくわかりません。地図のような年代のパターンでトレースされた、ですか?どんな感じなのでしょうか? ⇒「地図のような年代もののパターンでトレースされた」でしょう。 昔のパターンで、その模様が地図のような構成になっているのではないでしょうか。 >The room is very tall and light, with a high doorway and high, shuttered windows, the shutters now hooked back to let in the afternoon. のthe shutters now hooked back to let in the afternoon.の意味がわかりません。シャッターは今後ろに引っ掛けられています?to let in the afternoon?? ⇒「今は午後なので、後ろに引っ掛けられています」でしょう。 午後の日光を取り込むためにシャッター揚げている状態だと思います。 >I realize after listening for a while that the changes must be Anna moving about under the flow, blocking it more and less from moment to moment with her body.のthe changes must be Anna ~の個所が抽象的なのかなんなのか、全然意味が掴めません。(blocking it のitはthe changesなのでしょうか?) ⇒「タイルに当たる水の音が変わるのは、水の流れの下でアナの体が動くからに違いない」 blocking it のitはthe flowです。

aduagrean
質問者

お礼

わかりやすく解説してくださってありがとうございました。 it は、the flowのことだったのですね。 the changesだと複数形なのでitで受けるのは違うかなと思ったりしたのですが、よくわかりました。 ありがとうございます!

関連するQ&A

• わからない個所を教えてください

There is a second door through to the bathroom, and from this comes the sound of water hissing on tiles, sometimes constant, sometimes shifting its pitch. I realize after listening for a while that the changes must be Anna moving about under the flow, blocking it more and less from moment to moment with her body.(前回の終わりの部分です) The moment I realize this, I am imagining seeing her: the water on her skin, her head back, hair drenched and clinging, the slenderness of her neck and body. It is as if the wall has dissolved for a second and I can see through it. I feel something clench in the pit of my stomach at the sight of her, and then I force the image from my mind. I actually make myself shake my head and smile ruefully, as if someone might be watching me and checking my reaction – is he her lover or her friend? – and I have to be seen to do the right thing. But it is difficult to get her out of my head. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。文中のherは、Alexの幼なじみの女性(Anna)を指しています。 I feel something clench in the pit of my stomach at the sight of her, and then I force the image from my mind.の I force the image from my mind.についてですが、the imageはsomething clench in the pit of my stomach (何かがみぞおちで固まる、というイメージ)で、forceはそのイメージを心から出す、ということですか? 最後の方の、I have to be seen to do the right thing.私は正しい事をすることを見られる必要がある、ですか?もう少し意訳するとどうなるでしょうか? But it is difficult to get her out of my head.私の頭の外へ彼女を得ることは難しい?彼女を頭の中から取り出せない、みたいな感じですか?(彼女のことを考えたくないのに、考えてしまう、みたいな感じでしょうか?) 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

I can make a start with the window. I have to start somewhere, after all. I tell myself that I will think about the exhibition, and the paintings, while I work; and this sounds so convincing to me that I almost start to believe it. (前回の終わりの部分です) Chapter Three I do get to the paintings eventually. In the afternoon, I buy what I need to mend the broken pane, and more besides; heavy bags of tools and materials for which I am bound to find a hundred uses. I buy house paint, too: emulsion for the walls, to get them back the way they were – the way they should be. I set out all I have bought on the sitting-room floor, and go to work to fix the window. All through the afternoon, in the easy rhythm of working with my hands, the past comes, floating up around me and threatening to engulf me; and I fight it back, trying to stay in the here and now, trying to gain control. Sometimes – most of the time – I manage it. I can’t understand why this is happening to me now; and why so strongly, so – insistently. Jamie and Anna. I tell myself that it must be inevitable that being back here again would stir up memories of them. It’s natural; this was their place, of course, as well as mine. It’s no surprise that they’re here in my thoughts so much. But it has been so long since I’ve thought of them, and these aren’t just memories – these are fragments of reality, snatched from the past and creeping up around me in the present. It’s something I’ve learnt to live without all my adult life, and now it’s here, it’s back, and I can’t even control it. I might have expected to think of Jamie and Anna once or twice while I was here – but not this, not this. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。Jamie and AnnaはAlexの幼なじみです。 It’s something I’ve learnt to live without all my adult life, and now it’s here, it’s back, and I can’t even control it.という英文が最後の方に出てくるのですが、itが何を指しているのかよくわかりません。 it’s hereそれはここにあり、it’s backそれは戻り、I can’t even control it.私はそれを支配することさえできない。。。Jamie and Annaとの思い出みたいな感じでしょうか? I might have expected to think of Jamie and Anna once or twice while I was here – but not this, not this.のbut not this, not thisというのは、どういうことを言っているのでしょうか?これではない、これでは。。?? 質問の英文が長くなってしまいましたが、教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

I can feel my mind floating through the questions, drifting. There is almost a physical sensation. I remember this. I remember it from very, very long ago, and I fight it, pushing it back from me.(前回の終わりの部分です) Jamie says, ‘Oh, Alex is no good with things like that. If you leave him alone he goes dreamy. He’s probably been sitting doing that half the time.’ He grins, and his eyes sparkle for a moment in the afternoon sun. ‘He’s mad,’ he adds. There is a broken pane of glass in the French windows next to me, cracked where a stone has struck it. I stare at it: the central star-like contact point, the silver-edged cracks radiating from it like ribbons of metal. I force Jamie’s voice from my head and concentrate instead on this broken pane, staring at it with a kind of foolish fixation, as though it will keep from me these ghost voices. The little fused nebula of dense, almost white craquelure around the hole – a starburst, a sudden splash in flat-calm water, like gossamer— Anna’s hands reaching above me, her neatness, her precision, and a deep blue that is almost black – set with stars— ****************************************** 「The Dandelion clock」からの英文です。 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。JamieとAnnaはAlexの幼な友達です。(If you leave him alone he goes dreamy. He’s probably been sitting doing that half the time.の中のheは誰を指しているのかはよくわかりません) ************************************* There is a broken pane of glass in the French windows next to me,の意味を取ると、「私の隣にフランス窓があって、壊れた一枚のガラスがあります」みたいな感じですか?next to me=私の隣に? I force Jamie’s voice from my head and concentrate instead on this broken pane, staring at it with a kind of foolish fixation, as though it will keep from me these ghost voices.のinsteadのところがわからないのですが、Jamieの声を私の頭から追いやるよりも、この壊れた窓ガラスに集中する、ですか? Anna’s hands reaching above me, her neatness, her precision, and a deep blue that is almost black – set with stars— のher precisionは「彼女の精密さ」ですか?意味的にどういうことを言っているのかちょっとピンとこないのですが。 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない箇所を教えてください。

But I’ve seen that before: it’s the hairstyle she had when I first knew her. And she is five years older. But the physical changes are, when I isolate them, so slight, and I still see that she has changed a lot, and I don’t understand. (前回の終わりの部分です) We drag our cases up the staircase of the sixteenth-century palazzo hidden away in the backstreets near the Duomo and sign in. The proprietor glances approvingly at Anna and nods to me as he shows us to our room. Inside, she goes straight to the windows, opens them to let in the sound and light of the city afternoon. ‘Well, we got here,’ she says. ‘We did.’ She slings her cases on the bed and looks around. ‘Huge room. How can it be this big and still be so cheap?’ ‘It’s out of season,’ I say, shrugging. ‘And we have to eat out.’ ‘Suits me. God, I’m stiff. My feet are killing me.’ She’s kicking off her shoes as she speaks. ‘There’s time for a shower, isn’t there? You don’t want to rush off and do anything right away?’ ‘No. Fine by me.’ ‘Good. I’m going to soak myself. I feel all shrivelled up, like a prune.’ I make a face, and she laughs. ‘I do. It’s flying. I hate flying. Excellent – they’ve given us towels.’ She’s going round the room inspecting things. ‘And a writing-desk. That’s nice. I had the most awful flight. You should have seen who I had to sit next to.’ ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。AnnaはAlexの幼なじみです。 How can it be this big and still be so cheap?'と聞いている個所ですが、‘It’s out of season,’「シーズンを外しているからだよ」(合っているでしょうか?)と答えているので、どうやってこの大きくてそんなに安い部屋が取れたの?みたいな感じの事を聞いているのでしょうか? stillは「その上」、という意味ですか? ‘No. Fine by me.’はどうやって意味をとるのでしょうか?Noと言っているのはAnnaのセリフを受けて、何もしたくないよ、と答えていると思うのですが。Fine by meがわかりません。 ‘Good. I’m going to soak myself. I feel all shrivelled up, like a prune.’ I make a face, and she laughs.で、彼女が笑ったのは、Alexが顔を作ったからですか?I make a faceはどのように意味をとるのでしょうか? I hate flying. Excellent – they’ve given us towelsこの流れがわかりません。飛ぶことは嫌いだ、と言っていてExcellent素晴らしい?they’ve given us towelsのtheyは誰を指しているのでしょうか?? たくさんの質問ですみません。 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。2

‘Lena?’ ‘Yes?’ ‘Do you think Signor Ferucci’s a hermit?’ Lena shakes her head. ‘No. Just someone who keeps themself to themself.’ ‘Oh. All right.’ (前回の終わりの部分です) We walk on in companionable silence and, in my head, impressions of the hermit whirl, becoming confused with details Lena has mentioned until the church in which the man crouches has an interior like a cave, with rock walls and stalactites and bones, while at the entrance blazes a bonfire, sending up a column of smoke that alarms the distant townsfolk. Alex? comes a voice out of nowhere, sounding somehow bigger than the valley around me, and----- And the afternoon tumbles away from me and--- ‘Alex?’ Jamie says. I blink. ‘Hello,’ I say. He is crouched next to me. ‘Are you OK?’ ‘Yes,’ I say. ‘I didn’t hear you.’ ‘You were like you were asleep,’ he says, ‘but your eyes were open. I could see them. I kept calling you but you didn’t move.’ ‘I was thinking,’ I say. Saying this, I have found, usually works. ‘It was weird.’ I shrug. ‘I was just thinking,’ I say again. After a moment’s hesitation, he sits down on the flat rock beside me. ‘What were you thinking about?’ Now it is my turn to hesitate. I have become used to what to say to my parents, but perhaps this is not the right thing to say to Jamie. I look at him, and his brown eyes are interested, not suspicious. I say, ‘I was thinking with Lena.’ ‘Who’s Lena?’ ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は回想シーンだと思われます。 becoming confused with details Lena has mentioned until the church in which the man crouches has an interior like a caveの個所でcrouches hasとあるのですが、動詞が二つ続いている感じがしています。どうなっているのでしょうか?? And the afternoon tumbles away from me and---のtumblesの意味がよくわかりません。午後は私から離れて混乱する??主人公が混乱している、という意味なのでしょうか?でもaway fromとあるので、どういうことなのかわかりません。 He is crouched next to me.のcrouchは「かがむ」という意味だと思うのですが、受動態になっている理由がわかりません。 Saying this, I have found, usually worksの意味がわかりません。これを言いながら、僕は通常仕事を見つけた?? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

She closes the door after her and, a few moments later, there comes the first hiss of water from the shower, and somewhere far off the rumble and clang of air through the plumbing of the old building. I am left lying on my bed, staring at the wall, trying to keep the thought of her out of my head. (前回の終わりの部分です) I look again at her luggage. Bags and suitcases. There is still something about them that draws my attention, but now it doesn’t feel as if they’re a good composition for a sketch; it’s something else which I can’t readily identify. I stare at them, and can feel myself frowning. Something is – I don’t know what. Not right? What can be not right about suitcases? But something— I look back to the wall, try another rueful smile, and this one works better. In the next room Anna is naked, and that is what’s bothering me. Because I shouldn’t be thinking of her like that. Because she’s Anna. The suitcases – the suitcases are square and prosaic and dull and incredibly unerotic. That is why they keep nagging at me, tugging at the corners of my mind. In a way, it all makes perfect sense. I almost laugh at the convolutions of it all. Alone in a room, trying not to laugh, not allowing myself to think of the girl showering just behind the wall, filling my head with her casually piled suitcases instead. Mad Alex, Jamie would have said. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。AnnaはAlexの幼なじみです。(この場面は回想シーンのように思われます) Something is – I don't know what. Not right? What can be not right about suitcases? But something—この英文はスーツケースに対してどういうことを思っているということが書かれているのでしょうか?よくわかりません。now it doesn’t feel as if they’re a good composition for a sketch; it’s something else which I can’t readily identify.のところから気持ちが続いている感じはするのですが。 I look back to the wall, try another rueful smile, and this one works better.のthis one works better.とはどういう意味ですか?壁にふり返って悲しげに笑ってみる、ということがよりよく働く? That is why they keep nagging at me, tugging at the corners of my mind. In a way, it all makes perfect sense.のところが難しいのですが、theyはThe suitcasesのことだと思うのですが、the corners of my mindとは頭の角?という意味ですか?cornersのところがよくわかりません。In a way, it all makes perfect sense.ある意味ではそれは完全に意味をなします?の言っている意味はどういうことでしょうか? Alone in a room, trying not to laugh, not allowing myself to think of the girl showering just behind the wall, filling my head with her casually piled suitcases instead.の中で主語はないのでしょうか?動詞はpiledですか? casuallyは「何気なく」?  Jamie would have saidについて、Jamie have saidとどういう違いがあるのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

the room is the wrong colour. All the rooms are wrong. I have to change them back. Moving quickly – eagerly – I leave the paintings in the middle of the room and turn my back to them, getting brushes, a screwdriver, levering the lids from the cans of emulsion. I look at the empty expanse of the wall, ready for new paint, and take a deep breath.(前回の終わりの部分です)                *  *  * The Art rooms smell of turpentine and oils – chalk, charcoal – white spirit— The picture I have made is the still life we are supposed to draw, but there is something else – a face breaking through the surface of the picture, half submerged there – his face – Jamie’s face— As soon as I can, I scramble over the wall to wait for Jamie. I have endured the morning’s story with my father and am free now until lunch. It is hot back here already; the sun rises at the head of the valley and sets down over the water, and though this side catches it a little more fully, the whole of Altesa is bathed in light from mid-morning through to sunset. The stones of the waste ground here soak up the heat and hold it, and even after dusk will be warm to the touch, as though alive. Jamie is nowhere to be seen. After a few minutes of walking back and forth, I settle down to wait, finding a comfortable place to sit and raking together a pile of pebbles to throw at the larger rocks. It is warm and I feel lazy and happy. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は現在からまた過去のシーンに戻っているように思われます。 The picture I have made is the still life we are supposed to draw, but there is something else の中のThe picture I have made is the still life とは静物画のことですか?we are supposed to draw私たちが描くと思われる??受動態になっているのがよくわかりません。なぜなのでしょうか? a face breaking through the surface of the picture, half submerged there – his face – Jamie’s face—について、これは、静物画の表面にJamieの顔が浮かび上がっているような感じなのでしょうか? I have endured the morning’s story with my father and am free now until lunch.の中のthe morning's storyとは朝食の時の会話のことですか? the sun rises at the head of the valley and sets down over the water,のsets downは、沈む、という意味ですか? After a few minutes of walking back and forth, I settle down to wait, finding a comfortable place to sit and raking together a pile of pebbles to throw at the larger rocks. でraking together a pile of pebbles to throw at the larger rocks. とありますが、つまり大きな岩に小石を投げて遊ぶ、みたいな意味でしょうか? 教えてください。  お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。2

‘Maybe he’s a vampire,’ Jamie says. ‘Yeah.’ I think for a moment, and something else comes back to me. ‘I think he used to be that other thing,’ I say vaguely. The word hits. ‘Politician.’ Jamie says, ‘I’ve got a whole story about vampires from a haunted tomb in one of these.’ He indicates the several stacks of comics that are lined up against the wall of his room. (前回の終わりの部分です) Jamie’s bedroom isn’t anything like mine. My room is quite small, with a ceiling that slopes down from the door to the window. Under my window is the gentle pitch of the kitchen roof; if I crane my head far out to the left, I can see the end of my mother’s verandah roof at the back of the house, where the iron stove-pipe of the little fat stove comes up through it. My bed is against one wall, and a wardrobe stands by the door that leads through to the back bedroom that is sometimes Lena’s. I have a little cupboard of toys, too, and some big picture-books which I still love and look at, though I know my father doesn’t like them. Apart from these things, my room is quite bare: the walls are pale, the ceiling white, the surround of the window dark wood. The best thing is the view: right along the row of our neighbours’ houses and up the valley. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は幼い頃の回想シーンです。 Under my window is the gentle pitch of the kitchen roofの中の、 the gentle pitchとはどういうものなのでしょうか? My bed is against one wall, and a wardrobe stands by the door that leads through to the back bedroom that is sometimes Lena’s.について、and a wardrobe stands~の意味なのですが、洋服ダンスはドアのそばにある、、、次のleads through to the back bedroom that is sometimes Lena’sのところが意味がとれません。ときどきLenaのベッドルームになる後ろを通って??? right along the row of our neighbours’ houses and up the valley.の出だしのrightは右側という意味ですか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

Anna’s hands reaching above me, her neatness, her precision, and a deep blue that is almost black – set with stars— (前回の終わりの部分です) I shiver, rub my eyes. I am back where I should be. It is gone now; I looked last night, before going to sleep. So much has changed. In all the time that has passed, I suppose it would be strange if it hadn’t. The hall and the kitchen and the front room have been repainted. The colours are all wrong. As an artist I know this. The colours aren’t right for the rooms, or for the house. The kitchen: the kitchen has always been white. Now it is a pale russet which, in yesterday’s evening light, makes it look like an abattoir. The front room, which my mother had painted herself – a kind of smoky umber which made it very cosy and comforting – is now a light, airy blue, cavernous and sterile. They are errors of judgement, all of them, and I imagine – as with the window – people getting an unconscious sense of something amiss, something not right, from the colours. It frustrates me. Upstairs, the walls are the wrong colours. And the ceiling of my room – Anna’s ceiling of stars – has been painted over. That is the worst thing. She had said it was like the night sky when the sun has died, but the real night hasn’t yet come. I can see her reaching up to paint in the last details: careful, always accurate, until at last the ceiling is set with glittering silver against an expanse of blue-black that pulls your eye in and in for ever. ****************************************** 「The Dandelion clock」からの英文です。 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。AnnaはAlexの幼な友達です。 Upstairs, the walls are the wrong colours. And the ceiling of my room – Anna’s ceiling of stars – has been painted over. That is the worst thing. で言っていることは、Alexの部屋の天井、Annaの描いた星の天井は塗りつぶされてしまい、それが最悪の事だ、ということですか? She had said it was like the night sky when the sun has died, but the real night hasn’t yet come. のthe real night hasn’t yet come.をそのまま訳すと、彼女は太陽がなくなったとき、それは夜空のようだと言った。しかし本当の夜はまだ来ていない。ですか?when the sun has diedというのは、もしそうなったら、ということを言っているのでしょうか?(ifを使ってもいいような感じもするのですが) She had said とthe sun has diedで、時制が一致していないのですが、なぜなのでしょうか? 一番最後の部分ですが、careful, always accurate, until at last the ceiling is set with glittering silver against an expanse of blue-black that pulls your eye in and in for ever.の pulls your eye in and in for everの個所で、your eyeの後ろにinがついているのはどうしてなのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

I almost laugh at the convolutions of it all. Alone in a room, trying not to laugh, not allowing myself to think of the girl showering just behind the wall, filling my head with her casually piled suitcases instead. Mad Alex, Jamie would have said.(前回の終わりの部分です) I like him the moment I see him: the way he is staring at the distance, the way he is alone in the garden, the way his face seems to be looking out and at the same time lost in something inside him. Physically we are quite different. Jamie is a year older than me, and taller. While I have my father’s straight fair hair, Jamie’s hair is dark and a little wavy. He is shaped differently, too: where I am rather stocky, he is slender, and he is never as clumsy or awkward as I am. Even before he sees me, and speaks to me, I like him. In my childhood, all is confusion for a time, and then out of this confusion I begin to make sense of my world. Jamie helps me with this, sees things I don’t, asks the questions I can’t, until between us – eventually – we manage to piece together the whole picture. The focus shifts and sharpens and sense and understanding happen. But most of that is still to come. I am six, and Jamie’s parents move into the house at the other end of the row from ours. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。(この英文は回想シーンだと思われます) the way he is staring at the distance, the way he is alone in the garden, the way his face seems to be looking out and at the same time lost in something inside him.の個所は、the way~のフレーズが続きますが、 the way he is staring at the distance(彼が彼方を凝視している仕方?)とthe way his face seems to be looking out のbe looking out の部分が進行形になっているのはなぜなのでしょうか? the way his face seems to be looking out and at the same time lost in something inside him・・・・・彼の顔が外を見ているようで、同時に何か彼の内に夢中になっているように見える仕方(様子)? lostは形容詞ですか? he is never as clumsy or awkward as I amの、clumsyとawkwardの違いがよくわかりません。どちらも不器用な、というような意味だと思うのですが、どういう違いがあって二つの単語をわざわざ使っているのでしょうか? Even before he sees me, and speaks to me, I like him. 彼が私に会う前、そして私に会う前でさえ、私は彼が好きです?ちょっと意味が掴みにくいのですが、どういう事を言っているのでしょうか? Jamie helps me with this, sees things I don’t, asks the questions I can’t, until between us – eventually – we manage to piece together the whole picture. のuntil between us はどう訳すのでしょうか?私たちの間になるまで?? we manage to piece together the whole picture.私たちはなんとかすべての絵をつなぎ合わせます?とは、どうことを言っているのでしょうか?なんとなく、見た世界のものを理解していく、というような感じでしょうか? But most of that is still to come.について、still to comeで、まだ来ない、という意味になるのでしょうか?否定形になる? 教えてください。お願いします。