Confusing details in the passage

このQ&Aのポイント
  • The passage describes Alex, an artist, returning to Italy to prepare for an exhibition. However, there are several confusing details that need clarification.
  • The phrase 'The picture I have made is the still life we are supposed to draw' implies that Alex has created a still life painting that they are expected to draw. It is unclear why it is mentioned in a passive voice.
  • The description of 'a face breaking through the surface of the picture, half submerged there – his face – Jamie’s face—' suggests that Jamie's face is appearing in the still life painting.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

わからない個所を教えてください。

the room is the wrong colour. All the rooms are wrong. I have to change them back. Moving quickly – eagerly – I leave the paintings in the middle of the room and turn my back to them, getting brushes, a screwdriver, levering the lids from the cans of emulsion. I look at the empty expanse of the wall, ready for new paint, and take a deep breath.(前回の終わりの部分です)                *  *  * The Art rooms smell of turpentine and oils – chalk, charcoal – white spirit— The picture I have made is the still life we are supposed to draw, but there is something else – a face breaking through the surface of the picture, half submerged there – his face – Jamie’s face— As soon as I can, I scramble over the wall to wait for Jamie. I have endured the morning’s story with my father and am free now until lunch. It is hot back here already; the sun rises at the head of the valley and sets down over the water, and though this side catches it a little more fully, the whole of Altesa is bathed in light from mid-morning through to sunset. The stones of the waste ground here soak up the heat and hold it, and even after dusk will be warm to the touch, as though alive. Jamie is nowhere to be seen. After a few minutes of walking back and forth, I settle down to wait, finding a comfortable place to sit and raking together a pile of pebbles to throw at the larger rocks. It is warm and I feel lazy and happy. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は現在からまた過去のシーンに戻っているように思われます。 The picture I have made is the still life we are supposed to draw, but there is something else の中のThe picture I have made is the still life とは静物画のことですか?we are supposed to draw私たちが描くと思われる??受動態になっているのがよくわかりません。なぜなのでしょうか? a face breaking through the surface of the picture, half submerged there – his face – Jamie’s face—について、これは、静物画の表面にJamieの顔が浮かび上がっているような感じなのでしょうか? I have endured the morning’s story with my father and am free now until lunch.の中のthe morning's storyとは朝食の時の会話のことですか? the sun rises at the head of the valley and sets down over the water,のsets downは、沈む、という意味ですか? After a few minutes of walking back and forth, I settle down to wait, finding a comfortable place to sit and raking together a pile of pebbles to throw at the larger rocks. でraking together a pile of pebbles to throw at the larger rocks. とありますが、つまり大きな岩に小石を投げて遊ぶ、みたいな意味でしょうか? 教えてください。  お願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • 92128bwsd
  • ベストアンサー率58% (2275/3919)
回答No.1

Alexは今回また昔の記憶・妄想にワープしていきますね。 最初の文は、現実からはじまって、ワープしていくところの様子が書かれています。 The picture I have made is the still life we are supposed to draw, but there is something else の中のThe picture I have made is the still life とは静物画のことですか?we are supposed to draw私たちが描くと思われる??受動態になっているのがよくわかりません。なぜなのでしょうか? ⇒ the still life は静物画で良いと思います。drawは描くではなく、引く、つまり選ぶかなと思います。weは展覧会に絡んで、自分も含めて絵を選ぶ人かと思います。the still lifeは静物画で良いと思います。また、もともと自分の作品の写真を扇形にトランプのカードの様に並べているので、その意味でも、draw=引く=選ぶ。そう考えないと、Alexしかいない部屋に何でweが急に出てくるのかわからず、またthe picture I have made をどうしてまたwe が描くことになっているのかわからなくなります。we are supposed ~ は、「私達が~すると思われる、~するであろう、~することになっている」。be supposed toは良く使われる表現です。 ここの訳ですが、 「この絵の写真は私が書いた静物画で、私達が選ぶつもりでいる物だが、しかし何か他の物がある...」 a face breaking through the surface of the picture, half submerged there – his face – Jamie’s face—について、これは、静物画の表面にJamieの顔が浮かび上がっているような感じなのでしょうか? ⇒ そんな感じです。ここでは静物画ではなくて静物画の写真。「誰かの顔が写真の中に半分埋もれた状態で表面を破って浮き出ている。彼の顔。ジェイミーの顔だ。」 ここでワープしました。 I have endured the morning’s story with my father and am free now until lunch.の中のthe morning's storyとは朝食の時の会話のことですか? ⇒ 具体的には何かわかりませんが、朝食での会話も含まれるかも知れないですね。have endured で、その後free なので、父親の話が何かくどくどと説教くさい感じがしますが、きっといつものことなんでしょう。 the sun rises at the head of the valley and sets down over the water,のsets downは、沈む、という意味ですか? ⇒ そうです。sun set と言う言葉を思い出せば、それにdown over the waterで、全体は、「太陽は谷間の上に登り海の向こうに沈む」。 After a few minutes of walking back and forth, I settle down to wait, finding a comfortable place to sit and raking together a pile of pebbles to throw at the larger rocks. でraking together a pile of pebbles to throw at the larger rocks. とありますが、つまり大きな岩に小石を投げて遊ぶ、みたいな意味でしょうか? ⇒ そうです。raking together はかき集める。rakeがクマデみたいな器具のことなので、raking は手で小石をクマデの様に手でかき集めて、a pile に積み上げる様子を想像します。そしてその小石を一個一個取っては大きな岩に向かって投げる。暇つぶしですね。

aduagrean
質問者

お礼

大変詳しく回答してくださってありがとうございました! we are supposed to draw,のところ、drawは引く=選ぶという意味にとるということでなるほどです。(描くでは全然意味がとれませんでした) the surface of the pictureのところは、静物画の写真の表面ですね。 ジェイミーの顔が浮き出してきて過去の思い出のシーンに場面転換ですね。 the morning's story、sets down、raking together a pile of pebbles~の個所も解説ありがとうございました!

関連するQ&A

• わからない個所を教えてください。

I almost laugh at the convolutions of it all. Alone in a room, trying not to laugh, not allowing myself to think of the girl showering just behind the wall, filling my head with her casually piled suitcases instead. Mad Alex, Jamie would have said.(前回の終わりの部分です) I like him the moment I see him: the way he is staring at the distance, the way he is alone in the garden, the way his face seems to be looking out and at the same time lost in something inside him. Physically we are quite different. Jamie is a year older than me, and taller. While I have my father’s straight fair hair, Jamie’s hair is dark and a little wavy. He is shaped differently, too: where I am rather stocky, he is slender, and he is never as clumsy or awkward as I am. Even before he sees me, and speaks to me, I like him. In my childhood, all is confusion for a time, and then out of this confusion I begin to make sense of my world. Jamie helps me with this, sees things I don’t, asks the questions I can’t, until between us – eventually – we manage to piece together the whole picture. The focus shifts and sharpens and sense and understanding happen. But most of that is still to come. I am six, and Jamie’s parents move into the house at the other end of the row from ours. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。(この英文は回想シーンだと思われます) the way he is staring at the distance, the way he is alone in the garden, the way his face seems to be looking out and at the same time lost in something inside him.の個所は、the way~のフレーズが続きますが、 the way he is staring at the distance(彼が彼方を凝視している仕方?)とthe way his face seems to be looking out のbe looking out の部分が進行形になっているのはなぜなのでしょうか? the way his face seems to be looking out and at the same time lost in something inside him・・・・・彼の顔が外を見ているようで、同時に何か彼の内に夢中になっているように見える仕方(様子)? lostは形容詞ですか? he is never as clumsy or awkward as I amの、clumsyとawkwardの違いがよくわかりません。どちらも不器用な、というような意味だと思うのですが、どういう違いがあって二つの単語をわざわざ使っているのでしょうか? Even before he sees me, and speaks to me, I like him. 彼が私に会う前、そして私に会う前でさえ、私は彼が好きです?ちょっと意味が掴みにくいのですが、どういう事を言っているのでしょうか? Jamie helps me with this, sees things I don’t, asks the questions I can’t, until between us – eventually – we manage to piece together the whole picture. のuntil between us はどう訳すのでしょうか?私たちの間になるまで?? we manage to piece together the whole picture.私たちはなんとかすべての絵をつなぎ合わせます?とは、どうことを言っているのでしょうか?なんとなく、見た世界のものを理解していく、というような感じでしょうか? But most of that is still to come.について、still to comeで、まだ来ない、という意味になるのでしょうか?否定形になる? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

Jamie is nowhere to be seen. After a few minutes of walking back and forth, I settle down to wait, finding a comfortable place to sit and raking together a pile of pebbles to throw at the larger rocks. It is warm and I feel lazy and happy.(前回の終わりの部分です) Lena and I go for a walk up the valley. Sometimes we do this, though not often; more usually our walks take us down, to the shops and the central square and the piglets and the drinking-fountain. I like the drinking-fountain a lot. The bronze lion’s head, with its snarlingly open mouth and constant stream of bright water, entrances me. Even when we are sitting at Toni’s waiting for ice-creams and Cokes, I keep my eye on it. This afternoon, though, we go further along the road, and then, once we are quite far from the town, down a side-track that Lena says once led to one of the outlying farms. Lena is telling me stories, too – some of which I’ve heard before and know almost by heart – and keeping her eyes open for wild herbs growing by the track: sage, sorrel and thyme, to pick and use in the kitchen. A bunch of wild myrtle hung at the window will keep the flies away. I go happily along with her, sometimes running ahead and waiting for her to catch me up, sometimes carrying her basket for her. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は現在からまた過去のシーンに戻っているように思われます。 Sometimes we do this, though not often; more usually our walks take us down, to the shops and the central square and the piglets and the drinking-fountain.の中に、the pigletsとあるのですが、子豚、という意味ですか? the central squareは中央広場、the drinking-fountainは噴水式水飲み器だと思うのですが、そこにthe pigletsが出てくるのがわかりません。 This afternoon, though, we go further along the road, and then, once we are quite far from the town, down a side-track that Lena says once led to one of the outlying farms. の中に出てくるonceは、once we are quite far from the town,は”一度”、Lena says once led to one of the outlying farms.は”かつて”の意味ですか? down a side-track that Lena says once led to one of the outlying farms.についてですが、ledの主語はa side-trackですか?Lenaが言うかつて遠くの農場の一つに導いた側線を下り?(a side-trackとは鉄道に関する線のことですか?) 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。2

‘Maybe he’s a vampire,’ Jamie says. ‘Yeah.’ I think for a moment, and something else comes back to me. ‘I think he used to be that other thing,’ I say vaguely. The word hits. ‘Politician.’ Jamie says, ‘I’ve got a whole story about vampires from a haunted tomb in one of these.’ He indicates the several stacks of comics that are lined up against the wall of his room. (前回の終わりの部分です) Jamie’s bedroom isn’t anything like mine. My room is quite small, with a ceiling that slopes down from the door to the window. Under my window is the gentle pitch of the kitchen roof; if I crane my head far out to the left, I can see the end of my mother’s verandah roof at the back of the house, where the iron stove-pipe of the little fat stove comes up through it. My bed is against one wall, and a wardrobe stands by the door that leads through to the back bedroom that is sometimes Lena’s. I have a little cupboard of toys, too, and some big picture-books which I still love and look at, though I know my father doesn’t like them. Apart from these things, my room is quite bare: the walls are pale, the ceiling white, the surround of the window dark wood. The best thing is the view: right along the row of our neighbours’ houses and up the valley. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は幼い頃の回想シーンです。 Under my window is the gentle pitch of the kitchen roofの中の、 the gentle pitchとはどういうものなのでしょうか? My bed is against one wall, and a wardrobe stands by the door that leads through to the back bedroom that is sometimes Lena’s.について、and a wardrobe stands~の意味なのですが、洋服ダンスはドアのそばにある、、、次のleads through to the back bedroom that is sometimes Lena’sのところが意味がとれません。ときどきLenaのベッドルームになる後ろを通って??? right along the row of our neighbours’ houses and up the valley.の出だしのrightは右側という意味ですか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

Lena shows me how to make a cat’s-cradle and pass it from person to person; I stretch string tight and twang it, feeling the quick-dying vibrations in my hands; I coil string tightly around my thumb and leave a red spiral mark when I take it off, neat grooves running all the way up. (前回の終わりの部分です) This problem is easier, though. The boy – Jamie – Pleased to meet you – wants to get over the wall, but there’s no tree like the one I have. I think it through, and am pleased to realize he has gone to get a ladder, when there is a scuffling sound off to my left, on my side of the wall. I look round, and to my surprise see Jamie coming round the end of the wall. I drop down from where I’m hanging and go to meet him. ‘How’d you do that?’ I ask, impressed. ‘I went round,’ he says. ‘I ran. It is higher back here, isn’t it?’ After a second or two, I start to see what he means. If you go out of the front gate of his house, and followed the wall to your left, and went through the fence that runs beside the road, and kept following the wall round the next corner – you would be here, at the back. The idea is amazing. In another couple of seconds, I see that I can do the same from my front gate, turning right instead of left. It has never occurred to me before that this might be possible. You get to the rocks and the lizards by going up the tree and over, that is how it has always worked. I have never imagined— ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。(この英文は子供時代の回想シーンだと思われます) I think it through, and am pleased to realize he has gone to get a ladder, when there is a scuffling sound off to my left, on my side of the wall.について、when there is a scuffling sound off to my leftの個所がわかりません。私の左側に動き回る音が遠くにあるとき?? I look round, and to my surprise see Jamie coming round the end of the wall.が、よくわからないのですが、主人公が驚いた理由は、Jamieが壁の端のあたりにやってきたことなのでしょうか?どういう事で驚いたのでしょうか??梯子を持って来なかったことに驚いた、ということですか? ‘I went round,’ he says. ‘I ran. It is higher back here, isn’t it?’のItは何を指しているのでしょうか? The idea is amazing.とあるのですが、The ideaとは今主人公がいる地点にどうやって辿りつくか、というアイディアだと思うのですが、読んでみたところ、あまり状況のイメージが掴めない感じです。つまりは、主人公自身ももっと簡単に今の場所に辿りつける方法があった(木を使わずに辿りつく方法)、ということがわかった、というようなことなのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

She closes the door after her and, a few moments later, there comes the first hiss of water from the shower, and somewhere far off the rumble and clang of air through the plumbing of the old building. I am left lying on my bed, staring at the wall, trying to keep the thought of her out of my head. (前回の終わりの部分です) I look again at her luggage. Bags and suitcases. There is still something about them that draws my attention, but now it doesn’t feel as if they’re a good composition for a sketch; it’s something else which I can’t readily identify. I stare at them, and can feel myself frowning. Something is – I don’t know what. Not right? What can be not right about suitcases? But something— I look back to the wall, try another rueful smile, and this one works better. In the next room Anna is naked, and that is what’s bothering me. Because I shouldn’t be thinking of her like that. Because she’s Anna. The suitcases – the suitcases are square and prosaic and dull and incredibly unerotic. That is why they keep nagging at me, tugging at the corners of my mind. In a way, it all makes perfect sense. I almost laugh at the convolutions of it all. Alone in a room, trying not to laugh, not allowing myself to think of the girl showering just behind the wall, filling my head with her casually piled suitcases instead. Mad Alex, Jamie would have said. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。AnnaはAlexの幼なじみです。(この場面は回想シーンのように思われます) Something is – I don't know what. Not right? What can be not right about suitcases? But something—この英文はスーツケースに対してどういうことを思っているということが書かれているのでしょうか?よくわかりません。now it doesn’t feel as if they’re a good composition for a sketch; it’s something else which I can’t readily identify.のところから気持ちが続いている感じはするのですが。 I look back to the wall, try another rueful smile, and this one works better.のthis one works better.とはどういう意味ですか?壁にふり返って悲しげに笑ってみる、ということがよりよく働く? That is why they keep nagging at me, tugging at the corners of my mind. In a way, it all makes perfect sense.のところが難しいのですが、theyはThe suitcasesのことだと思うのですが、the corners of my mindとは頭の角?という意味ですか?cornersのところがよくわかりません。In a way, it all makes perfect sense.ある意味ではそれは完全に意味をなします?の言っている意味はどういうことでしょうか? Alone in a room, trying not to laugh, not allowing myself to think of the girl showering just behind the wall, filling my head with her casually piled suitcases instead.の中で主語はないのでしょうか?動詞はpiledですか? casuallyは「何気なく」?  Jamie would have saidについて、Jamie have saidとどういう違いがあるのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。1

After a moment’s hesitation, he sits down on the flat rock beside me. ‘What were you thinking about?’ Now it is my turn to hesitate. I have become used to what to say to my parents, but perhaps this is not the right thing to say to Jamie. I look at him, and his brown eyes are interested, not suspicious. I say, ‘I was thinking with Lena.’ ‘Who’s Lena?’ (前回の終わりの部分です) ‘She’s our cook. And she looks after me, sometimes.’ He nods, and I am encouraged by the way he accepts what I’ve told him. ‘We’re going for a walk up that way, and we see a bridge, and a chapel where a man used to live. A hermit,’ I add. ‘He went away, though, into the hills.’ Jamie is frowning. ‘When?’ ‘When what?’ ‘When do you go on the walk?’ I am thrown into confusion. I don’t want Jamie to know that I used to be a liar, but the conversation is becoming like the ones I used to have – back then, when I was a liar – with my parents. I don’t know what to say. But Jamie is still looking at me, his face open and waiting for me to say something, and in the end I just say it. ‘Just now.’ ‘This morning?’ ‘Just now. Before you came.’ Suddenly I want him very much to understand. ‘That was what I was doing. Staring into space.’ ‘You mean you were imagining it?’ ‘No …’ ‘What, then?’ It is the tone of his voice that makes the difference: not impatient, just curious. I try to find the words. ‘You know when – you go somewhere—’ He nods. ‘And then you come back.’ Now he is looking puzzled. ‘What, like a walk?’ ‘Yes,’ I say. ‘Like that. That’s what I was doing.’ He is quiet for a time, then he says, ‘So you’d gone with Lena and then you came back and then you came here and I found you?’ *That’s what I was doing.のThatは斜体になっています。 ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は回想シーンだと思われます。 ‘That was what I was doing. Staring into space.’ ‘You mean you were imagining it?’ ‘No …’ ここのやり取りの意味が掴めません。 「それは僕がしていたことだったんだ。空間を見つめていたんだ」 「それを想像していたっていうこと?」 「違うよ」 ?? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

At last we quieten down. Occasionally we look sideways at each other and giggles overwhelm us again; but in the end we are too tired to laugh any more. We sit side by side with big, idiot grins on our faces. (前回の終わりの部分です) Jamie rubs his eyes with his sleeve and says, ‘You’re mad, you know? You’re mad. Mad Alex.’ In the laughter, the realization of English has left us as suddenly as it arrived, and Jamie’s words are in comfortable Italian once more. ‘I’m not,’ I say. ‘You’re mad.’ ‘I’m not as mad as you, though,’ he says. ‘You are.’ ‘Mad Alex.’ He grins at me. ‘If you show me your lizards I’ll show you my comics. They’re brilliant. Is it a deal?’ ‘Yes,’ I say at once. He sticks his hand out, and I shake it. His hand around mine is strong and warm, like a stone in the sun. When we go to look for the lizards, though, there are none to be found. Our laughing has scared them all away. Jamie is my first friend; I have never had a real friend before. For Jamie, everything is a question waiting to be asked. He wants to know why the lizards we watch blink in the sun, but snakes never do. We try not to blink until our eyes are hot and dry and gritty with the effort, but we can’t manage it forever, like the snakes. He wants to know why, when we have lemonade, the outside of the cold glasses becomes wet – how does the water get from inside the glass to the outside without our seeing? If water can get through the glass, why doesn’t the glass empty? We stare at our glasses until they are warm in the sun, and not so nice to drink, but we can’t find out the answer; in the end, the little beads of liquid vanish as mysteriously as they arrive. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は回想シーンで幼なじみのJamieと話しているところです。 ‘You’re mad, you know? You’re mad. Mad Alex.’ の中のmadのニュアンスは、馬鹿げた、というような意味でしょうか? For Jamie, everything is a question waiting to be asked.とありますが、Jamieにとってすべては尋ねられることを待っている質問です?というのはどういう意味ですか? He wants to know why, when we have lemonade, the outside of the cold glasses becomes wet – how does the water get from inside the glass to the outside without our seeing?のhow does the water get from inside the glass to the outside without our seeing?の部分がわかりません。どうやって、私たちが見ることなく、グラスの内側から外側に水は得られるのですか??水というのは水滴ですか?without our seeingの部分が?です。 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

‘You’re weird,’ he says eventually. I blink. But then he says, ‘I like you, though.’ And my heart skips once, and feels as if it is grinning inside me. ‘I like you too,’ I say. ‘And wouldn’t it be great if you could go anywhere, just in your head – the moon or Mars, or different planets?’ I have never thought about this either. ‘I suppose,’ I say. (前回の終わりの部分です) ‘I’d love that.’ He looks entranced with the possibility. ‘Do you like comics?’ ‘I don’t know.’ ‘I’ve got some great ones. They’re in English, though,’ he adds, doubtfully. ‘But I speak English,’ I say, surprised. It takes me a moment to remember that Jamie is a foreigner, like me. Astonished, I switch from the way we have been talking – the way I talk with Lena – to the other way I talk, when I’m with my parents. ‘Can you speak like this?’ Jamie looks just as astonished, but he answers the same way. ‘Yes. My father’s English.’ ‘Mine too,’ I say. ‘And Mummy,’ I add, remembering. Suddenly he begins to laugh – a little at first that quickly grows into a great uncontrollable peal that rings against the side of the valley. He points at me, helplessly, and then at himself, and I understand immediately what he means – We’re such idiots! – and the funny side of it strikes me, too. I can’t help it; I join him, laughing harder and harder until my sides hurt and there are tears in my eyes. I can’t think of a time when I’ve laughed harder. At last we quieten down. Occasionally we look sideways at each other and giggles overwhelm us again; but in the end we are too tired to laugh any more. We sit side by side with big, idiot grins on our faces. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は回想シーンで幼なじみのJamieと話しているところです。 二人のやり取りが正確にはよくわからないのですが、 I’ve got some great ones. They’re in English, though,’ he adds, doubtfully.のdoubtfullyとはどういう意味合いなのでしょうか?疑わしげに?自分が持っているいくつかの漫画はすばらしいけれど、英語で書かれている。の後にdoubtfullyが付くのがよくわかりません。 I switch from the way we have been talking – the way I talk with Lena – to the other way I talk, when I’m with my parents.というのは、AlexがJamieと今まで話していた方法を変えた、ということで、Lenaや、両親と話していた英語でJamieに話した、ということですか? We’re such idiots! とありますが、Alexが、英語が話せるJamieに今までイタリア語で話していたことがおかしいのでしょうか?? I join him, laughing harder and harder until my sides hurt and there are tears in my eyes.とありますが、until my sides hurt and there are tears in my eyes.というのは、Alexのどんな心境を表しているのでしょうか?何に傷ついているのかがわかりません。(あまりにもばかげた事を言ってしまったことですか?・・・英語が話せるの?というような) 教えてください。お願いします。

• 和訳をお願いします

The pictures have me a little confused. Very seldom if at all, do you see a right hand Kamisori. With a couple of pictures it does look like it is for your right hand and the others not.I take it that the Japanese words face outward and the flat ground part of the razor goes to your face.

• わからない個所を教えてください。

I can make a start with the window. I have to start somewhere, after all. I tell myself that I will think about the exhibition, and the paintings, while I work; and this sounds so convincing to me that I almost start to believe it. (前回の終わりの部分です) Chapter Three I do get to the paintings eventually. In the afternoon, I buy what I need to mend the broken pane, and more besides; heavy bags of tools and materials for which I am bound to find a hundred uses. I buy house paint, too: emulsion for the walls, to get them back the way they were – the way they should be. I set out all I have bought on the sitting-room floor, and go to work to fix the window. All through the afternoon, in the easy rhythm of working with my hands, the past comes, floating up around me and threatening to engulf me; and I fight it back, trying to stay in the here and now, trying to gain control. Sometimes – most of the time – I manage it. I can’t understand why this is happening to me now; and why so strongly, so – insistently. Jamie and Anna. I tell myself that it must be inevitable that being back here again would stir up memories of them. It’s natural; this was their place, of course, as well as mine. It’s no surprise that they’re here in my thoughts so much. But it has been so long since I’ve thought of them, and these aren’t just memories – these are fragments of reality, snatched from the past and creeping up around me in the present. It’s something I’ve learnt to live without all my adult life, and now it’s here, it’s back, and I can’t even control it. I might have expected to think of Jamie and Anna once or twice while I was here – but not this, not this. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。Jamie and AnnaはAlexの幼なじみです。 It’s something I’ve learnt to live without all my adult life, and now it’s here, it’s back, and I can’t even control it.という英文が最後の方に出てくるのですが、itが何を指しているのかよくわかりません。 it’s hereそれはここにあり、it’s backそれは戻り、I can’t even control it.私はそれを支配することさえできない。。。Jamie and Annaとの思い出みたいな感じでしょうか? I might have expected to think of Jamie and Anna once or twice while I was here – but not this, not this.のbut not this, not thisというのは、どういうことを言っているのでしょうか?これではない、これでは。。?? 質問の英文が長くなってしまいましたが、教えてください。お願いします。