Main Character's Reflection at Night

このQ&Aのポイント
  • In Chapter Four, the main character, Alex, lights candles in his room to push away the shadows and childhood fears that haunt him.
  • Unable to sleep, Alex takes a candle and wanders the house, eventually ending up in his old bedroom.
  • In that moment, it becomes clear to Alex that opening the window and sitting on the windowsill, gazing up at the valley at night, is the most natural thing to do.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

わからない個所を教えてください。

Chapter Four In bare feet I light some of the candles I have placed around the room, and the cheerful light they cast drives away some of the shadows that have been tugging at me. I don’t feel ready to sleep yet. I want to think of something to push the uneasy memory of these fragments away, to give me something else to concentrate on as I lie in bed. Some part of me is aware that the old childhood fear could so easily come back to life now; the fear that I will wake, in a moment, to find myself old and dying, my life already spent. I can’t face that again. So I take one of the candles and wander the house with it, eventually finding my way upstairs. Once I am in my old bedroom, it seems the most obvious thing in the world to open the window there, and to sit on the sill, looking up the valley at night. ****************************** (前回質問させていただいたところで三章は終わりました。) 主人公のAlexはartistで、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに帰ってきています。 最後の Once I am in my old bedroom, it seems the most obvious thing in the world to open the window there, and to sit on the sill, looking up the valley at night.の意味が上手く掴めません。 一旦、私が古びた寝室にいるならば、夜に谷を見あげながらそこで窓を開け、敷居に座ることはこの世の中で最もあきらかなことに思われる? これはどういうことを言っているのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15294/33013)
回答No.1

これはどういうことを言っているのでしょうか?  一旦昔の寝室に戻ると、世界で一番自然なことは、窓を開け、窓のふちに腰をかけ、夜の谷を見上げることだ。  (子供の頃使っていた寝室に戻ると、まず、窓を開けて新しい空気を入れ、窓のふちに腰掛けて、外の景色を見る、それが一番自然だ、と言っているのでしょう)

aduagrean
質問者

お礼

とてもわかりやすく回答してくださってありがとうございます! obvious thing の意味がよくとれなかったのですが、自然のことだ、という意味になるのですね。 更に解説を入れていただいてありがとうございます! よくわかりました!

関連するQ&A

• わからない個所を教えてください。

Chapter Four In bare feet I light some of the candles I have placed around the room, and the cheerful light they cast drives away some of the shadows that have been tugging at me. I don’t feel ready to sleep yet. I want to think of something to push the uneasy memory of these fragments away, to give me something else to concentrate on as I lie in bed. Some part of me is aware that the old childhood fear could so easily come back to life now; the fear that I will wake, in a moment, to find myself old and dying, my life already spent. I can’t face that again. So I take one of the candles and wander the house with it, eventually finding my way upstairs. Once I am in my old bedroom, it seems the most obvious thing in the world to open the window there, and to sit on the sill, looking up the valley at night. (前回の終わりの部分です) I know this view to the last detail. The darkness obscures many of the small changes that are doubtless there, and would be clamouring their presence to me were it daylight. Now, though, I am only conscious that the branches of the tree that cut off the left-hand part of the horizon are longer by some small amount, and that the sound of the World Service radio is missing from downstairs. Above, the stars are unchanged; I look for Orion, and find him almost at once, a small smile of acknowledgement twitching the corner of my mouth. There are a few clouds low on the line of hills, but leaning out of the window I can see that the sky overhead is clear. *************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに帰ってきています。 The darkness obscures many of the small changes that are doubtless there, and would be clamouring their presence to me were it daylight.の、would be clamouring their presence to me were it daylightがよくわかりません。 英文の構造はどうなっているのでしょうか? wereが動詞、itは?? Now, though, I am only conscious that the branches of the tree that cut off the left-hand part of the horizon are longer by some small amount,について、ここは木の枝がどうなっている状態なのでしょうか? I look for Orion, and find him almost at once, a small smile of acknowledgement twitching the corner of my mouth.ここの a small smile of acknowledgement~の意味するところは、オリオン座を見つけたのでちょっと微笑んだ、という感じなのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。2

‘Maybe he’s a vampire,’ Jamie says. ‘Yeah.’ I think for a moment, and something else comes back to me. ‘I think he used to be that other thing,’ I say vaguely. The word hits. ‘Politician.’ Jamie says, ‘I’ve got a whole story about vampires from a haunted tomb in one of these.’ He indicates the several stacks of comics that are lined up against the wall of his room. (前回の終わりの部分です) Jamie’s bedroom isn’t anything like mine. My room is quite small, with a ceiling that slopes down from the door to the window. Under my window is the gentle pitch of the kitchen roof; if I crane my head far out to the left, I can see the end of my mother’s verandah roof at the back of the house, where the iron stove-pipe of the little fat stove comes up through it. My bed is against one wall, and a wardrobe stands by the door that leads through to the back bedroom that is sometimes Lena’s. I have a little cupboard of toys, too, and some big picture-books which I still love and look at, though I know my father doesn’t like them. Apart from these things, my room is quite bare: the walls are pale, the ceiling white, the surround of the window dark wood. The best thing is the view: right along the row of our neighbours’ houses and up the valley. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は幼い頃の回想シーンです。 Under my window is the gentle pitch of the kitchen roofの中の、 the gentle pitchとはどういうものなのでしょうか? My bed is against one wall, and a wardrobe stands by the door that leads through to the back bedroom that is sometimes Lena’s.について、and a wardrobe stands~の意味なのですが、洋服ダンスはドアのそばにある、、、次のleads through to the back bedroom that is sometimes Lena’sのところが意味がとれません。ときどきLenaのベッドルームになる後ろを通って??? right along the row of our neighbours’ houses and up the valley.の出だしのrightは右側という意味ですか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

Once I see one with two tails, lighter than the rest of its body; it lives somewhere near where the wall adjoins Signora Cassi’s house, and I wonder if it has been caught in the kitchen by Lucia.(前回の終わりの部分です) I go along to the end of the wall, and laboriously find footholds and handholds to help me clamber up. I peer over the top, and for a moment I don’t see him, he is standing so still. The garden here is, again, larger than ours, and sunnier as well. There aren’t so many trees, and some angle of the valley side seems to have positioned the lawn so that it catches the evening sun straight-on. The doors and windows of the house, all around the ground floor, are open, and I can hear voices – a man and a woman – inside. There are some of the boxes that came from the van, standing on the edge of the grass, waiting to be taken in. I let my attention wander around the garden, and it is now that I see him: in the shade of a tall purple bush in the border, standing with his hands in his pockets, looking upwards towards where the valley crest reaches the skyline. For a second I think he is looking right at me, but then I see the faraway expression on his face, and know he hasn’t seen me. We stay like that for some time more, he staring at the horizon, I staring at him, like children frozen in a fairytale. Then my foot slips a little, and the sound reaches him, and he shivers and sees me. He looks at once wary, but almost as quickly the wariness vanishes and is replaced by curiosity. He glances towards the house, once, then runs across the garden until he’s standing below me. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。(この英文は子供時代の回想シーンだと思われます) There are some of the boxes that came from the van, standing on the edge of the grass, waiting to be taken in.のbe taken inは、家の中に持ち込まれる、という意味ですか? Then my foot slips a little, and the sound reaches him, and he shivers and sees me.の中でhe shivers and sees me.とありますが、彼が震えたのは(he shivers)、我に返った、みたいな感じですか? He looks at once wary, but almost as quickly the wariness vanishes and is replaced by curiosity.の中のas quicklyのところは、as quickly as の意味ですか?できるだけ早く? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

She closes the door after her and, a few moments later, there comes the first hiss of water from the shower, and somewhere far off the rumble and clang of air through the plumbing of the old building. I am left lying on my bed, staring at the wall, trying to keep the thought of her out of my head. (前回の終わりの部分です) I look again at her luggage. Bags and suitcases. There is still something about them that draws my attention, but now it doesn’t feel as if they’re a good composition for a sketch; it’s something else which I can’t readily identify. I stare at them, and can feel myself frowning. Something is – I don’t know what. Not right? What can be not right about suitcases? But something— I look back to the wall, try another rueful smile, and this one works better. In the next room Anna is naked, and that is what’s bothering me. Because I shouldn’t be thinking of her like that. Because she’s Anna. The suitcases – the suitcases are square and prosaic and dull and incredibly unerotic. That is why they keep nagging at me, tugging at the corners of my mind. In a way, it all makes perfect sense. I almost laugh at the convolutions of it all. Alone in a room, trying not to laugh, not allowing myself to think of the girl showering just behind the wall, filling my head with her casually piled suitcases instead. Mad Alex, Jamie would have said. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。AnnaはAlexの幼なじみです。(この場面は回想シーンのように思われます) Something is – I don't know what. Not right? What can be not right about suitcases? But something—この英文はスーツケースに対してどういうことを思っているということが書かれているのでしょうか?よくわかりません。now it doesn’t feel as if they’re a good composition for a sketch; it’s something else which I can’t readily identify.のところから気持ちが続いている感じはするのですが。 I look back to the wall, try another rueful smile, and this one works better.のthis one works better.とはどういう意味ですか?壁にふり返って悲しげに笑ってみる、ということがよりよく働く? That is why they keep nagging at me, tugging at the corners of my mind. In a way, it all makes perfect sense.のところが難しいのですが、theyはThe suitcasesのことだと思うのですが、the corners of my mindとは頭の角?という意味ですか?cornersのところがよくわかりません。In a way, it all makes perfect sense.ある意味ではそれは完全に意味をなします?の言っている意味はどういうことでしょうか? Alone in a room, trying not to laugh, not allowing myself to think of the girl showering just behind the wall, filling my head with her casually piled suitcases instead.の中で主語はないのでしょうか?動詞はpiledですか? casuallyは「何気なく」?  Jamie would have saidについて、Jamie have saidとどういう違いがあるのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない箇所について教えてください。

In my suitcase, I have over a hundred and fifty eleven-by-fourteen photographs which are the real reason for this trip. But I can’t tell Max that; he’d think I was mad. I have come here to try to settle myself, and to try to understand. I have the photographs, and I have some time to myself; I hope that out of these two things will come some measure of calm, or comprehension. The house, Altesa, coming back to Italy – it’s all really just an excuse to spend some time with the images which I have begun to realize trouble me so deeply. I can’t really explain it, even to myself. I just know it’s important, and that I have to resolve it one way or another. I leave the square behind me. My footsteps are muted by the rain as I walk, and I keep my eyes on the road until the valley starts to open up around me. Guy BurtのThe Dandelion Clockからの英文です。 *********************************************************** I hope that 【out of these two things will come some measure of calm, or comprehension. 】 ここは倒置ですか? it’s all really just an excuse to spend some time with the images which I have begun to realize trouble me so deeply. この英文がよくわからないのですが、allはどういう意味にとるのでしょうか? すべての、という形容詞ですか? allとan ~がでてきてわかりにくいです。 文の構造はどうなっているのでしょうか? itはto spend以下ですか? the images which(関係代名詞)I have begun to realize というかたまりですか? trouble は動詞になるのでしょうか? 意味がよくとれません。 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

There is a sharp silence. At last he says, ‘Alex, how long are you talking about? The weekend?’ ‘Maybe,’ I say. ‘I don’t know.’ ‘Well, that’s all right – just. But let’s not cut things too close here. This is the big one, remember?’ ‘Sure,’ I say. (前回の終わりの部分です) Suddenly he laughs. ‘You really hate all of this, don’t you?’ he says. ‘I wouldn’t be surprised if the house was perfect and you were inventing rising damp so you can sit in the sun and keep out of my way.’ ‘Actually, it’s been raining,’ I tell him. ‘Whatever. Look, enjoy yourself, all right? Have some beers in between fixing up builders and all that. When things are sorted out, give me a call. I suppose we’ll all survive without you for a few more days.’ ‘OK,’ I say. ‘And don’t forget to think over those ideas Julia came up with. They’ve got to go to press by the fourteenth at the latest, and she’ll need some time before that to put it all together.’ ‘I will. I’ll call you, Max.’ ‘Bye, Alex,’ he says, still sounding amused, and the line goes dead. ****************************************** 「The Dandelion clock」からの英文です。 :主人公のAlexと知人と思われるMaxが電話で話している場面です。 ‘I wouldn’t be surprised if the house was perfect and you were inventing rising damp so you can sit in the sun and keep out of my way.’ がどういうことを言っているのかわかりません。Alexは自分の家を修理しなければならない状態でいたのですが、the houseというのはAlexの家のことを言っているのか。。。 you were inventing rising damp so you can sit in the sun and keep out of my way.の部分が意味不明です。rising damp=上昇水分??(湿気?) keep out of my way=? Whatever. Look, enjoy yourself, all right? のWhateverは何かの略なのでしょうか?それとも単独で何か意味があるのでしょうか? They've got to go to press by the fourteenth at the latest, and she'll need some time before that to put it all together.' のThey've got to go to press はto不定詞が2つつながっているのでしょうか?  the fourteenthは14日? she'll need some time before that to put it all together.のthat とitは何を指しているのでしょうか?(thatはto put~以下、itはthose ideasですか?) ‘Bye, Alex,’ he says, still sounding amused, and the line goes dead.のsounding amusedの表現がどういう感じなのか掴めません。おかしそうに鳴り響いている? the line goes deadは、電話線が意に反して切れてしまった、ということなのでしょうか? *(ここでAlexとMaxの電話は終わります) ほとんど読めていなのですが、教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

‘And don’t forget to think over those ideas Julia came up with. They’ve got to go to press by the fourteenth at the latest, and she’ll need some time before that to put it all together.’ ‘I will. I’ll call you, Max.’ ‘Bye, Alex,’ he says, still sounding amused, and the line goes dead.(前回の終わりの部分です) The valley is warm on the walk back from town, smelling of sage and greenery. The last of the puddles on the road are turning to dust now, though the leaves of the roadside asphodel and myrtle still have their newly washed crispness. Going over the conversation in my mind, I can’t help feeling I haven’t said what I meant to, that I have been somehow sidetracked. I seem to have bought myself time here, and I don’t know quite why I should have wanted to do that. But it’s done now. Perhaps I can call him later in the week; perhaps things will be clearer by then. ****************************************** 「The Dandelion clock」からの英文です。 以下は物語のさわりです。 Alex is an artist, preparing for a major exhibition. An impulsive trip back to the Italy of his childhood forces him to explore the unresolved questions of his past where, in those seemingly innocent days, he swam and played and explored the wild countryside with Jamie and Anna. ****************************************** The last of the puddles on the road are turning to dust now, though the leaves of the roadside asphodel and myrtle still have their newly washed crispness. の中でわからない表現があるのですが、 The last of the puddles=水溜りの終わり? the last=最上の?? their newly washed crispness.=洗い立てのパリっとしていること? どんな意味、感じなのでしょうか? Going over the conversation in my mind, I can’t help feeling I haven’t said what I meant to, that I have been somehow sidetracked. がよくまとまらないのですが、 Going over the conversation in my mind=私の心の中で会話を(再)点検しながら? I can’t help feeling I haven’t said what I meant to=私は私が意味したことを言わなかったと感じずにはいられません。? that I have been somehow sidetracked=私がどうにかわきにそらされたということ? that I have been~のthatはI haven't said that I have been~とつながるのでしょうか? I seem to have bought myself time here,時間を買う?というのはどういうことですか? I don’t know quite why I should have wanted to do that.ここのI should have wanted to do thatは、私はそれをしたいと思ったのにそれをしなかった、という意味ですか? thatは時間を買うことですか? But it’s done now.のitも時間を買うことですか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

‘You’re weird,’ he says eventually. I blink. But then he says, ‘I like you, though.’ And my heart skips once, and feels as if it is grinning inside me. ‘I like you too,’ I say. ‘And wouldn’t it be great if you could go anywhere, just in your head – the moon or Mars, or different planets?’ I have never thought about this either. ‘I suppose,’ I say. (前回の終わりの部分です) ‘I’d love that.’ He looks entranced with the possibility. ‘Do you like comics?’ ‘I don’t know.’ ‘I’ve got some great ones. They’re in English, though,’ he adds, doubtfully. ‘But I speak English,’ I say, surprised. It takes me a moment to remember that Jamie is a foreigner, like me. Astonished, I switch from the way we have been talking – the way I talk with Lena – to the other way I talk, when I’m with my parents. ‘Can you speak like this?’ Jamie looks just as astonished, but he answers the same way. ‘Yes. My father’s English.’ ‘Mine too,’ I say. ‘And Mummy,’ I add, remembering. Suddenly he begins to laugh – a little at first that quickly grows into a great uncontrollable peal that rings against the side of the valley. He points at me, helplessly, and then at himself, and I understand immediately what he means – We’re such idiots! – and the funny side of it strikes me, too. I can’t help it; I join him, laughing harder and harder until my sides hurt and there are tears in my eyes. I can’t think of a time when I’ve laughed harder. At last we quieten down. Occasionally we look sideways at each other and giggles overwhelm us again; but in the end we are too tired to laugh any more. We sit side by side with big, idiot grins on our faces. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は回想シーンで幼なじみのJamieと話しているところです。 二人のやり取りが正確にはよくわからないのですが、 I’ve got some great ones. They’re in English, though,’ he adds, doubtfully.のdoubtfullyとはどういう意味合いなのでしょうか?疑わしげに?自分が持っているいくつかの漫画はすばらしいけれど、英語で書かれている。の後にdoubtfullyが付くのがよくわかりません。 I switch from the way we have been talking – the way I talk with Lena – to the other way I talk, when I’m with my parents.というのは、AlexがJamieと今まで話していた方法を変えた、ということで、Lenaや、両親と話していた英語でJamieに話した、ということですか? We’re such idiots! とありますが、Alexが、英語が話せるJamieに今までイタリア語で話していたことがおかしいのでしょうか?? I join him, laughing harder and harder until my sides hurt and there are tears in my eyes.とありますが、until my sides hurt and there are tears in my eyes.というのは、Alexのどんな心境を表しているのでしょうか?何に傷ついているのかがわかりません。(あまりにもばかげた事を言ってしまったことですか?・・・英語が話せるの?というような) 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください

There is a second door through to the bathroom, and from this comes the sound of water hissing on tiles, sometimes constant, sometimes shifting its pitch. I realize after listening for a while that the changes must be Anna moving about under the flow, blocking it more and less from moment to moment with her body.(前回の終わりの部分です) The moment I realize this, I am imagining seeing her: the water on her skin, her head back, hair drenched and clinging, the slenderness of her neck and body. It is as if the wall has dissolved for a second and I can see through it. I feel something clench in the pit of my stomach at the sight of her, and then I force the image from my mind. I actually make myself shake my head and smile ruefully, as if someone might be watching me and checking my reaction – is he her lover or her friend? – and I have to be seen to do the right thing. But it is difficult to get her out of my head. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。文中のherは、Alexの幼なじみの女性(Anna)を指しています。 I feel something clench in the pit of my stomach at the sight of her, and then I force the image from my mind.の I force the image from my mind.についてですが、the imageはsomething clench in the pit of my stomach (何かがみぞおちで固まる、というイメージ)で、forceはそのイメージを心から出す、ということですか? 最後の方の、I have to be seen to do the right thing.私は正しい事をすることを見られる必要がある、ですか?もう少し意訳するとどうなるでしょうか? But it is difficult to get her out of my head.私の頭の外へ彼女を得ることは難しい?彼女を頭の中から取り出せない、みたいな感じですか?(彼女のことを考えたくないのに、考えてしまう、みたいな感じでしょうか?) 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

I am supposed to be concentrating on the paintings, not on fixing window panes. They’re still in the suitcase; I haven’t even got them out yet. I have spent a whole evening and most of this morning doing – what? Doing something I haven’t been able to do since I was twelve. (前回の終わりの部分です) I want to shake my head, clear it of these distractions so I can focus on the things that are supposed to be important. But it’s more difficult than I have thought. How can I concentrate on the pictures when, all around me, small signs of change and neglect are needling in at me, whispering their presence? It will be impossible. Perhaps I could mend some things, fix some things; get the house a little way back to how it should be. It wouldn’t take too much effort. Just some very basic repairs would perhaps be enough to give me the peace of mind to concentrate properly. I can make a start with the window. I have to start somewhere, after all. I tell myself that I will think about the exhibition, and the paintings, while I work; and this sounds so convincing to me that I almost start to believe it. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。(今まで幼いころの回想シーンが続いていましたが、この英文は現在に戻っていると思われます) Perhaps I could mend some things, fix some things; get the house a little way back to how it should be. の、get the house a little way back to how it should beのところが訳せません。I could get the house~という英文なのでしょうか?家がどうあるべきかに戻すちょっとした方法を得ることができるだろう?? and this sounds so convincing to me that I almost start to believe it.は、so~that構文で読めば良いでしょうか?「これはとても私にとって説得力のあるように思われたので、私はほとんどそれを信じることを始めた。」 教えてください。お願いします。