狐狩りの話しで使われるdrawの意味は?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • アイルランドの作家の文章で出てきた「draw」の意味がわからないとのことです。
  • 「湿原近くにあるコリヤナギの林をan almost certain drawと言っているように思えます」という文脈です。
  • 「draw」は、浅い乾いた谷を指す言葉かもしれません。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

an almost certain draw

1900年頃のアイルランドの作家の文章です。狐狩りの話しですが湿原近くにあるコリヤナギの林をan almost certain drawと言っているように思えます。このdrawの意味が解りません。アドバイスよろしくお願いします。浅い乾いた谷のことでしょうか? It was a long jog to Clonrue, over five miles:that is the beauty of Irish coverts, there are usually so few that when a fox leaves one he has a very long way to go to the next one; and there was a wood of wild osiers beyond Clonrue near the bog, an almost certain draw.

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

たしかに、drawは浅い渓谷等を表現することもありますが、 アイルランドでは使われないはずです。(アメリカ英語だと思います。) ここでは、 引き寄せるもの、魅了するもの、という使い方です。 「沼地の近くに柳林」を指していると思われます。

hiro_ga2_91
質問者

お礼

sebastian_le2様 早々のアドバイス大変ありがとうございます!次の隠れ家として魅力的な場所と解釈させていただきます。

その他の回答 (1)

• KappNets
  • ベストアンサー率27% (1557/5688)
回答No.2

draw には draw = a shallow gully (gully = a small valley cut out by running water) という意味があります。日本語では小渓谷。bog (=swamp) と言うけれど殆ど draw のようなもの。

hiro_ga2_91
質問者

お礼

ご回答大変ありがとうございます。参考にさせて頂きます。

関連するQ&A

• "CERTAIN"は"A"が有れば、無くても良いですか

質問内容 "certain"という言葉を下記の例文で、抜かしても良いところ などがありましたら、指摘して欲しくて質問しました。 例文 「とある人は何か良い考えを得たいと思って居ると 私は知って居ます」 "I know that a person thinks that a person wants to get some good ideas. 上記は"certain"をはぶいてます。 "I know that a certain person thinks that a certain person wants to get some good ideas." 上記は"certain"を入れて居ます。 どちらの文の方が、好ましいでしょうか。 是非、回答お待ちしております。

• almostについて

ある英文に 「The oceans have existed since almost the beginnings of earthly time,changing in shape,shoved from one part of the planet to another before the drifting continent,but always present in roughly the volume we know.」 という文章があったのですが このたびの質問の要点は since almost the beginnings of earthly time において、almost は副詞なので beginnings にかかっていると考えるのはおかしいと おもうのですが sinceのあとにおかれているので beginningsにかかるしかないような気もします (since~全体にかかるならsinceの前におくのが普通かと思うので・・・) これがalmostでなく most of the なら納得いくのですが almostであることがどうしてもひっかかります ご指導のほど よろしくお願いしますm(。_。;))m ペコペコ…

• for certainとcertainly、他

I was sent to have my eyes tested. He took me into the darkened interior and said, "Sit down, dear." He put his arm round my shoulder. His forefinger moved up and down on my neck. I was thirteen and didn't like to be rude to him. Dorothy Simmonds, his sister, came downstairs just then; she came upon us silently and dressed in a white overall. Before she had crossed the room to switch on a dim light Mr Simmonds removed his arm from my shoulder with such a jerk that I knew for certain he had not placed it there in innocence. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 Mr Simmonds removed his arm from my shoulder with such a jerk that I knew for certain he had not placed it there in innocence.のところはsuch~that構文だと思うのですが、 ●a jerkはどのように意味をとるとよいですか? ●for certainとcertainlyは同じ意味ですか? 使い方に何か違いはあるのでしょうか? 前文は At the end of the thirties Leesden End was an L-shaped town. Our house stood near the top of the L. At the other extreme was the market. Mr Simmonds, the oculist, had his shop on the horizontal leg, and he lived there above the shop with his mother and sister. All the other shops in the row were attached to each other, but Mr Simmonds' stood apart, like a real house, with a lane on either side. となっています。 教えてください。 宜しくお願いします。

• 翻訳をお願い致します!

There's been a lot of times though in the band situation where there's been some deep wounds. Like that press conference they put together in 1996, after canceling three shows. The same stuff was going on with certain members of the band, that I was doing at that time. That was that time, I'm not making an excuse for it, it was a horrible time in my life. As well there were a lot of great things going on in my life, but that part of it was miserable. But I don't think at all that there needed to be a press conference to out me publicly, that was my own business.

• run over と draw upの違い

There are one or two details in your plan that are still not clear to me. How about you ( ) them one more time? 1.push through 2.run over 3.get down to 4.draw up   正解は (4)   という問題があったのですが、2run overは駄目ですか? run over おさらいする、繰り返して言う、繰り返す、言い返す、読み返す、再吟味する、概説する

• モームの小説の構文の解釈

Perhaps she had an inkling that I saw the face behind the mask and because I alone held out was determined that sooner or later I too should take the mask for the face. I was never quite certain that she was a complete humbug. I wondered whether she fooled herself as thoroughly as she fooled the world or whether there was some spark of humour at the bottom of her heart. If there was it might be that she was attracted to me, as a pair of crooks might be attracted to one another, by the knowledge that we shared a secret that was hidden from everybody else. 上記の第1文でwas determinedの主語が分かりません。Maughamの短篇Louiseの第1パラグラフの文章です。

• テスト勉強に訳がほしいです。お願いします

And there was the vast, unsuspected cataclysm of my parents’ divorce,that redrew so many boundaries,and created, with the proverbial stroke of the pen, vast new areas of confusion and dismay. And then one day I left Columbia, and discovered the bitter truth about race relations,and for a while I was inclined to view the lessons I had been taught with a certain amount of rueful anger. I felt that I had been lied to,that the map I had been handed was a forgery. And after a11,I would hear it said from time to time,Columbia had failed in its grand experiment. It had become a gardenvariety suburb in the Baltimore-Washington Corridor;there was crime there,and racial unrest. 

• The story of my life 和訳

すみません。 また和訳がうまくできないところがありました。 和訳をよろしくおねがいします。 I felt my may to the end of the garden, knowing that the mimosa tree was near the fence, at the turn of the path. Yes,there it was,all quivering in the warm sunshine, its blossom-laden branches almost touching the long grass. Was there ever anything so exquisitely beautiful in the world before! Its delicate blossoms shrank from the slightest earthly touch;it seemed as if a tree of paradise had been transplanted to earth. I made my way through a shower of petals to the great trunk and for one minute stood irresolute; then, putting my foot in the broad space between the forked branches,i pulled mysmyself up into the tree. 長文申し訳ないです。 よろしくおねがいします。

• 和訳をお願いします!

和訳をお願いします! I think that he’s an incredible dreamer, incredibly naïve, he’s incredibly smart in what he wants to be smart at he’s one of those guys that knows ten thousand little things but doesn’t know much about one big thing and it was really fun, it was really fun to read and... Again there was something inspiring about it, there was something child like about it. There was something oddly brave about it and the thing that was very cool about the part to me was that he’s a simple guy and in his simplicity he doesn’t over think the world. And so he just lets the world happen to him and I think that that’s a blessing a lot of the time. ある俳優のインタビューです。 自分の役柄について聞かれ答えているのですが、どうしても意味が理解できないんです。。。 長文ですが宜しくお願いしますm(_ _)m

• 日本語訳を教えてください。

ゼミの資料の一部です。どうしても日本語訳がわかりません。教えてください。 these changes have been difficult to document because so far anarchist ideas have received almost no attention in the academy. There are still thousands of academic Marxists, but almost no academic anarchist. This lag is somewhat difficult to interpret. In part, no doubt, it’ because Marxism has always had a certain affinity with the academy which anarchism obviously lacked: Marxism was, after all, the only great social movement that was invented by Ph.D. Most accounts of the history of anarchism assume it was basically similar to century thinkers [Proudhon, Bakunin, Kroptkin…] that then went on to inspire working-class organizations, became enmeshed in political struggles, divided into sects…