Learning Japanese Politeness: My Experience Upon Arrival

このQ&Aのポイント
  • I arrived at the dormitory and a professor from the university greeted me. Wanting to make a good impression, I greeted him with a polite bow and some Japanese phrases.
  • Despite not knowing what I was saying, the professor complimented my Japanese skills, making me happy. Later, I met another professor and repeated the same greeting, receiving another compliment.
  • I learned that a bow and a simple greeting can go a long way in making a positive impression in Japanese culture.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

和訳をお願いします

When I arrived at the dormitory, a professor from the university was waiting for me. I wanted to make a good impression So I bowed and said something like "blah blah blah domo blah blah domo domo domo" I took great care to say the domo very clearly. The rest was in a very small and impossible-to-understand voice. Just the sounds. Notice that I said the last domo three times. I wanted to sound very polite. In English it would sound very strange saying thank you, thank you, thank you, so many times, but in Japanese it did not sound bad at all. Anyway, I didn't know what I was saying. The professor looked at me and smiled, "Oh! You speak Japanese very well." I was very happy. Only a few hours in the country and I was already learning the rules of Japanese politeness. Later the same day I met another professor. I bowed and again the same unrecognizable sounds and the dear domes. It worked well. This professor, too, smiled and congratulated me on the perfect Japanese I could speak. The French businessman was right. A bow and a domo, and everybody is happy.

noname#133355
noname#133355
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • sayshe
  • ベストアンサー率77% (4555/5904)
回答No.1

私が寮につくと、大学の教授が私を待っていてくれた。私は、よい印象を与えたいと思った。それで、私はお辞儀をして、「何とかかんとか、どうも、何とかかんとか、どうも、どうも」のようなことを言った。私は、どうもをとてもはっきりと言うことにとても注意した。残りはとても小さい理解できない声だった。ほとんど音にすぎなかった。私が、最後のどうもを三回言ったことに注意して下さい。私は、とても丁寧に聞こえるようにしたかった。英語で、thank you, thank you, thank you とそんなに何度も言ったら、奇妙に聞こえたことだろう、しかし、日本語では、それは、少しもひどく聞こえなかった。 とにかく、私は自分が何を言っているのか知らなかった。教授は私を見て微笑んで「あぁ、君は日本語がうまいね」と言った。私は嬉しかった。日本についてわずか数時間で、私は、すでに、日本語の礼儀のルールを学んでいた。 その日後になって、私はもう一人の教授にあった。私はお辞儀をして、同じ訳のわからない音と、大切などうもを繰り返した。それは効果があった。この教授も、ほほ笑んで私が話せた完璧な日本語を祝福してくれた。あのフランス人ビジネスマンは正しかった。お辞儀とどうも、そうすれば、みんなが幸せだ。

関連するQ&A

• 和訳をお願いします

3 One of the people from the dormitory broke my tennis racket. He could not speak English very well so he said something like. "Domo, racket no good." He seemed to be very sorry. But he was saying domo― thank you. I got kind of angry! You can imagine. I lend him my racket, he breaks it and comes back saying, Thank you." Very surprising! Anyway, the following day he bought me a new one. The other day I was outside the dormitory waiting for Yoshitaka to pick me up. He was quite late, in fact more than 30 minutes late. Aren't the Japanese usually on time? Perhaps my friend was different. At last he turned up. "Domo, domo. Did you wait long?" He came at me waving his right hand. "These Japanese are really fanny people," I told myself. "He is Late and comes saying, Thank you, thank you.'" I was getting very confused. In this country do you have to say thank you for everything you do? I had already been in the country for four months and I still could not speak Japanese. But I wanted to sound as polite as possible. Therefore, I began to speak very strange sounding English. Here are some examples' 'Thank you, I was late." 'Thank you, he seems to be quite crazy." 'Thank you, this rain doesn't seem to stop." 'Thank you, excuse me." 'Thank you, I thought I saw Mr. Tanaka, but it was another person." "Thank you, he doesn't seem to understand." 'Thank you, it has been a long time since we met." 'Thank you, thank you." Everybody seemed to be very pleased when talking to me. "You am getting to be very Japanese," they used to tell me while uniting. Well, I thought, the English might sound strange to me. However, it, is very close to the way people speak here. So I kept talking l.hat way for quite a while.

• 和訳おねがいします

After seven months, niy Japanese had not improved. In fact I didn't study the language at nil. Hut I hnd beoomo very good at wiving, 'Thank you." I had also tnado lots of friends. One owning 1 was BtaiuLng with ono of them, Koji, at Shinjuku Station. We were supposed to meet his girlfriend and go drinking. Sho wns a little late We were talking about. women always being late when, suddenly, a young man oame running up without looking. He ran into my friond and knocked poor Koji down to the floor, Koji looked very angry. The man stopped and said, "Domo domo... blah blah." I could not understand the rest but I think it was something like "Thank you, thaak you. I wasn't looking." Koji didn't look angry any more. He stood up and said something in Japanese. The other man bowed two or three times and left. This is a veiy happy country, I thought. Even if someone is very angry, no one ever fights. Just say, "Thank you," and everything is solved. It reminded me of Carnival time in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. There too, everybody is happy. Even if you get angry, the noise and the music make you forget about it very soon. Here in Japan that music seemed to be *Thank you." I explained my ideas about domo to Koji. He could not stop laughing. At last ho said, "There are many different doings. One for each occasion. Indeed, it seldom means thank you." I discovered the great mistake I had been making. The domos I translated as 'Thank you" weren't always tho same domo. Most people must have thought that I was a very atrange person, saying, 'Thank you" whenever I opened my mouth.

• 和訳をお願いします。

【1】  At last l was in Japan. l stepped out of the plane into the Narita Airport building for the first time. l was walking towards immigration when 1 saw it. It was the first time in my life. Two Japanese were standing in front of each other bowing, bowing, and bowing. They seemed to bow for even There was something else though - something very shocking. They were saying many things, but I could not understand. For the first time, l was in a country where I could not even guess a single word of the local language. To me, whatever those two people were saying to each other, it just sounded like noise. However, I could pick up one of the sounds very clearly. It was DOMO.  On the way out of the airport, I could hear again and again that same domo l had to find out what it was. Walking right beside me was a French businessman on his second two-day trip to Japan. He looked like an expert on things Japanese. “Well” he said, “my experience has taught me that it means something like thank you." Then he went on explaining:. "Whenever you want to thank anyone for anything and be polite at the same tune. just say ‘domo and it will be all right. And don*t forget. You have to bow every time you say thank you.* On hearing that I said to myself‘Oh, this is a very useful expression. I must remember it”

• 和訳をお願いします。

Just played today I die. What an amazing game. It’s poetry in motion… literally. Very beautiful and wonderful lyrics. I geniunely smiled at the end so thank you for the smile.

• 和訳をお願いします

Many years have passed. Although my Japanese is still far from perfect, I became a professional at domo-ing. I found it to be a very happy expression. Not long ago I was packing my bags to go back home for a vacation. Suddenly there was a knock at the door. My friend James was standing there. He had been in Japan for only one month and was planning to stay another two years. He was carrying a box with him. "Could you please give this little present to my girlfriend when you arrive?' He said 'little " but to me the box looked very big. I took a quick look at my bags. They were really full and very heavy. It was impassible to make anything else fit in. However, I felt kind of rude saying no. Without even thinking almost it, my face changed into an expression of worry. I said, "Sore wa doomo..." James looked at me very surprised and asked, "Why are you thanking me? This is not a present for you." I was too tired to explain anything, so I gave him a copy of this article.

• 英語の和訳です。お願いします!!

Unlike the quiet and quickness you experience in a car, spending an afternoon on a bike is like indulging in a sensory feast. Not only was able to leisurely take in the wonderful sights and sounds of spring - wisteria-framed doorways, lilacs in full bloom, and the laughing seagulls flying overhead - I was also to revel in the sensuous smells of honeysuckle, sea rose, and backyard barbecues!  As I pedaled through my neighborhood, I smiled to myself as I recalled how I had labored over the decision to buy a bike for more than a year. The truth is that my indecision stemmed from self-consciousness and fear of the unknown. What if I bought the wrong kind of bike and regretted my purchase? Could I still remember how to ride a bike considering there were now eighteen speeds instead of three? Did I have the physical stamina to actually get somewhere? My fear of not knowing, feeling foolish, or looking silly kept me from enjoying what had become one of my favorite summer pastimes.

• 和訳

Natsume Soseki went to Britain about 100 years ago as a student sent by the Ministry of Education. He was 33 years old and a professor at the Fifth High School in Kumamoto then. He left Yokohama by ship in September 1900,and reached London two months later. Britain was more developed than other countries in those days. There was already a web of underground in London―30 years before the first underground in Tokyo. Everything Soseki saw and heard was a wonder. He enjoyed buying used books,walking in the parks and going to the theaters. He wrote this to his wife: “I wish you could see the wonderful theater shows. In one show,I saw about sixty women dancing on the stage in gorgeous costumes.” Soseki’s life in London,however,was difficult sometimes. The prices were very high for him. He stopped going to college because he felt the tuition was too expensive and the classes were not useful. And being unfamiliar with the city,he often lost his way or took the wrong train when he want out to see the sights. 和訳していただけてたら光栄です。 打ち間違いをしていたらすいません。

• 和訳をお願いします!

Lisp Ralph and Bob were in the locker room of the country club. 'I sure hated to hear about the disappearance of the professor,' said Ralph. 'So did I,' replied Bob. 'I always admired him because he was such a profound thinker.' 'That's true,' answered Ralph.'He was always thinking no matter where he was.' 'I remember the last time I saw him,' added Bob. 'We were swimming in the lake, and he suddenly called out, 'I'm thinking! I'm thinking!' 'You dummy!' roared Ralph. 'Didn't you know the professor lisped?' jokeの部分も教えて貰えると嬉しいです!

• 和訳をよろしくお願いします

I was in an abusive marriage for a decade, and after we split, I had to distance myself from both my social and professional circles because we worked in the same industry. I’m very healthy and happy now. Recently, I’ve started to fold a few previous connections back into my life. I’ve started to fold a few previous connections back into my life.の和訳をよろしくお願いします

• 和訳お願いいたします。

I didn't run for a very long time because of the cold weather ... so it was very tough, but I'm so happy I ran 10km. Hahaha ... I'm glad your father likes the chocolates. And your mother? Maybe she likes the pancakes more? 1 week ago we had to say goodbye ... it was a very sad moment and made me realize that you mean so much for me. And in house everywhere I look I need to think back when you were here. But in 2 weeks we will be together again and this time for longer time. It will be so nice to see your beautiful smile again ... your beautiful eyes ... it will be so nice to be with you. Thank you for suggesting such a good location. I didn't realize it was so convenient for me. Are you sure it's not too far for you? 1 hour seems to be a long time. I feel a little bit guilty because you will be working and I will be on holiday. I wish I could help you ...