• ベストアンサー

コンマとアンドの使い方に関して 

We told him that he must say thank you , that when people present something for him , he must let them know he appreciate it. こういう英文って、コンマのかわりにandを使って We told him that he must say thank you and that when people present something for him , he must let them know he appreciate it. にしてはダメなのでしょうか???

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Parismadam
  • ベストアンサー率65% (2756/4211)
回答No.1

こんにちは。4/23のご質問ではご丁寧なお返事を有難うございました。 ご質問の例文では、 We told him「彼に言った」の目的語になる名詞節thatが2つあるわけですが、最初のthatの後にあるコンマは、「つまり」と言い換えの用法になっていると思われます。 つまり「that he must say thank you」=「that when people present something for him , he must let them know he appreciate it.」という関係があるのです。 (訳)「あなたに礼を言わなければならないこと、つまり、プレゼントをくれたらそれを嬉しいと伝えること、を彼に伝えた」 等位接続詞のandを使うと、「そして」という追加になり、「つまり」という言い換えの用法でなくなり、この2つのthat節の関連を考えると、少し間が抜けた文章になります。 以上ご参考までに。

fukufukuga
質問者

お礼

大変わかりやすい迅速なご回答をどうもありがとうございます。 いつも感謝しています。 お礼はポイントを贈呈することくらいしか出来ませんが、 またの機会によろしくお願い申し上げます。 サルコジ後の暴動が一部起こったみたいですが、 どうぞお気をつけてください。

その他の回答 (2)

• go_urn
  • ベストアンサー率57% (938/1643)
回答No.3

またまた、こんにちは! コンマ攻めですね! We told him that he must say thank you and that when people present something for him , he must let them know he appreciate it. おっしゃるほうが、形としては、legitimateなんです。 ただし、この場合、thank you と言いなさい、ということと、 次の、感謝の念を示しなさいということは、同一のことですね。 ですから、畳みかけて言うべき息遣いであって、A and Bという 違うことの並列ではないので、この場合は、ないほうが、個人的には 優れていると思います。 I mean not that you're wrong, just that the writer is as correct as you.

fukufukuga
質問者

お礼

go urn さん、再び、こんにちは! 毎回、ご指導いただきまして、恐縮です。 文末には気の利いたエールまで書いていただき、 なんと言いましょうか、世の中には、いい人がいるもんですね。 またの機会によろしくお願いいたします。

回答No.2

A and B の場合,通常,A と B は別のものであったり,連続した動作だったりします。  今回の英文の場合, コンマ that となっているのは, that he must say thank you を言い換えたのが that when people present something for him , he must let them know he appreciate it であるからです(appreciates でしょうか)。 「彼はありがとうと言わなければならない」ということ すなわち, 「誰かが彼に贈り物をしたら,そのことに感謝していることを贈り主に伝えなければならない」ということ のように,言い換えているのです。  したがって,and that としない方がいいでしょう。

fukufukuga
質問者

お礼

ご回答どうもありがとうございます。 大変感謝しております。 おかげさまで、理解が深まりました。今後とも よろしくお願いいたします。

関連するQ&A

• 日本語訳お願いします。

If it is a matter of right answers,as it may be in mathematics or science,give him the answer book. Let him correct his own papers. Why should we teachers waste time on such routine work? Our job should be to help the child when he tells us that he can't find the way to get the right answer. Let's end all this nonsence of grades,exam,marks. Let us throw them all out,and let the children learn what all educated persons must some day learn,how to measure their own understanding,how to know what they know or do not know.

• when を「でも」や「なのに」として使えるとき

次のような文の場合、 Today I found out that my husband has been lying to a lot of people and told them that Kuma is a brown bear when he's actually a polar bear. when を 「彼は実はシロクマなのにハイイログマだと言った」のように「~なのに」として使えますが、どんな時にこの用法が使えるのですか? いつでも使えるのですか? また、もしこの文を and told them that Kuma is a brown bear BUT he's actually a polar bear. に変えたら不自然になりますか?

• 添削アンド解説お願いいたします。

こんばんは。 和訳してみました。添削よろしくお願いいたします。 Scientists say studying the plates may help them know when earthquakes will happen. 科学者たちはプレートについて学ぶことはいつ地震が起こるのか知ることで彼らを救えるかもしれない。 と訳しました。添削お願いいたします。

• 和訳をお願いします

His material fails him and we say that he has written himself out.

• nuanced

My husband and I agreed not to give each other gifts for Valentine’s Day, so I bought him nothing. He bought a few small items and left them on the counter for me to find when I got home after 8 p.m. I tried to joke it off by saying, “I thought we agreed to not buy gifts.” His retort was snotty: “So I’m guilty of getting you something nice. I’m sorry.” After putting the kids in bed, an argument ensued. I told him I appreciated the thought behind the gift and thanked him for it, but shared that it makes me feel guilty for not reciprocating. He continued to apologize for buying something. I want him to understand that I’m hurt that he reneged on our agreement, not that he bought something. (This isn’t a financial issue.) I know it is nuanced and I seem ungracious, but he doesn’t see the difference. ここでのnuancedはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 意味の分かりにくい英文です

"The world knows nothing of its greatest men." That may be true, but how can we tell? If we know nothing about them, we cannot tell whether they were great. But there is a good chance that, by the time the world knows about them, they will have ceased to be great. A man usually does his best work just before he is found out. If he has done anything very well, there is a conspiracy to prevent him from doing it again. He becomes a celebrity, and the lion-hunters give him no peace. It must be owned that sometimes he likes it. 上記で、But there is a good chance that, by the time the world knows about them, they will have ceased to be great. If he has done anything very well, there is a conspiracy to prevent him from doing it again. It must be owned that sometimes he likes it. などが特によく理解出来ません。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 下記の英会話を日本語に訳してください

Awe thank you! I have seen ○○ today but once I do I will let him know that you are interested よろしくお願いしますm(__)m

• 直接話法と間接話法の書換えにおけるsayとtell

アShe said to me, "I don't know when he will come back." イShe told me (that) she didn't know when he would come back. ウShe said to me (that) she didn't know when he would come back. アの直接話法を間接話法に書き換えると,イのようになるようです。 ウのような話法は不可能ですか? どちらが適切なのでしょうか?

• カンマの意味

My 22-year-old son, "Nick," spends most of his time playing video games. He was fired from several jobs last year because he stopped showing up. We had no idea. We finally kicked him out. It was the hardest decision of my life. He lived with various relatives and friends until he started lying to them about work. Nick is now at his father's, who lets him stay rent-free, contributing nothing. Nick is now at his father's, who lets him stay rent-freeはカンマがありますが、あるとないのとではどう意味が違ってくるでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英文法につぃて質問です。

バスなどに乗る時、そこに着いたら教えてくださいとバスの運転手に言う場合、 please let me know when we get there. と言うと思います。 ただ正しい英語文法ではwhen we get thereをwhen we've got there. というのが正しいのでしょうか? 話言葉ではplease let me know when we get there.を使っているように思われます。よろしくお願いします。