• ベストアンサー

英文の意味が

There was truth and there was untruth, and if you clung to the truth even against the whole world, you were not mad. という文を、 真実であることも真実でないこともあった。全世界に逆らって、真実にしがみついたとしても、あなたは気が狂ってはいなかった。 と訳してみたんですが、意味がわかりません。もう少しいい訳、または、この英文の言いたいことを説明してください。

• 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.4

mad には,「理性を欠いて→判断を誤って」という意味もありますので, 「(世の中の)ものごとの中には,真実とも真実でないともどちらにもとれるようなものがあった。たとえ,世界中の他の人が真実でないと言っているのに,あなたが真実だとこだわったとしても,あなたの考えが誤っていたというわけではなかった」  過去になっているのは,過去を振り返ったり,過去を語ったストーリーだったということだと思います。

genkigan
質問者

お礼

みなさんへ 文脈がなかったので、わかりにくかったのですが、おかげさまでわかりました。ありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (3)

• shagaraku
  • ベストアンサー率33% (96/287)
回答No.3

こんばんは 文脈がわかりませんが私なりの意訳では・・・ 真実もあったが、不正もあった。真実を追究するあまり、たとえ周りのすべてと敵対することになったとしても、あなたは狂ってはいなかった。

• d-y
  • ベストアンサー率46% (1528/3312)
回答No.2

過去形で言っているから、一般的なことではなくて、何かを念頭においていっているはずです。 それが何か分からないと訳しにくいですが、例えば、以下のようなことでしょうか? (世間で言われたり、行われたりしていることには)真実であることも、真実でないこともあった。あなたが、全世界(の人々)に逆らって真実に固執していたからといって、あなたの気が狂っていたということにはならない。

回答No.1

これは仮定法ではないでしょうか? はじめのwasはisじゃなくてwasであっていますか? isだと この世には真実と嘘がある.もしたとえ全世界(の人々)を敵に回しても(反対されても)真実を追い求めたとしても,あなたは狂ってはいない. 意訳すると この世には真実と嘘が入り乱れていてどれがどれかわからない.だからみんなと意見が違っていても狂っているわけではない. となるのでしょうか. googleで参考urlを見つけました. なにか慣用句のようなものなのでしょうか.

参考URL:
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:NH107iASF5AJ:www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp%3FARCHIVE%3Dtrue%26TOPIC_ID%3D218

関連するQ&A

• (2)以下の英文について教えてください。

(1)の続きです。 The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth—how rarely the older literatures ever told it! Bits of the truth, yes; every good book gives us bits of the truth, would not be a good book if it did not. But the whole truth, no. Of the great writers of the past incredibly few have given us that. Homer—the Homer of the Odyssey—is one of those few. Of the great writers of the past incredibly few have given us that. の構造は、 Few of the great writers of the past incredibly have given us that.ですか? thatはthe whole truthですか? Bits of the truth, yes;とBut the whole truth, no.が対比されている感じですが、 少し真実が書かれてある本はあるが、全部が真実である本はない、という意味ですか? yesとnoの意味するところがよくわかりません。 お手数をおかけしますが、よろしくお願いします。 ----------------Tragedy and the Whole Truth: Aldous Huxley

• 英文の意味が分かりません

次の英文の 「everything else had started and he knew there would be no stopping them.」 が具体的に何を意味しているのか、わかりません。 この英文の私の和訳は、次の通りです。 「他の全ての物事が始まった。そして彼は、それら(=everything else )を止めることができないと分かっていた。」 しかし、この英文が何のことを述べているのか、分からないのです。 下記に全文を載せました。どうぞ、よろしくお願いします。 He was on his bicycle suddenly, riding swiftly down the dark street, tears coming out of his eyes and his mouth whispering young and crazy curses. When he got back to the telegraph office the tears had stopped, but everything else had started and he knew there would be no stopping them. "Otherwise I'm just as good as dead myself," he said, as if someone were hearing whose hearing was not perfect.

• 英文解釈について:That there was 〜

添付ファイル文章: That there was no law of nature that man should love mankind, and that, if there had been any love on earth hitherto, it was not owing to a natural law, but simply because men have believed in immortality. Ivan Fyodorovitch added in parenthesis that the whole natural law lies in that faith, and that if you were to destroy in mankind the belief in immortality, not only love but every living force maintaining the life of the world would at once be dried up. に関する質問です。 1. That there was no law of のThat は接続詞として、 前文から引き継いで、「要するに」 という使われた方をしているという理解で合っているのか自信がないです。 2 and that, if there hadとand that if you were のthat はand that で、「しかも、その上」 という使われ方をしているという理解で合っているのか自信がないです。 3. if you were to destroy in mankind the belief in immortality, 「もし、我々が不滅/永遠への信仰を捨て去るようなことがあれば、」と in mankind をどのように解釈すればいいのか分かりません。位置的に変なところにあるように感じ、どこを修飾している語なのかよくわからないです。 belief の後にin mankind とすると 「人類への信仰、信念」となって 理解しづらい表現を解消するための並びなのかな?と疑問です。 この見立てが合っているのかも自信がないです。 「人類において、/人類における永遠への信仰を捨て去るなことがあれば」 のように理解してあっているのか自信がないです。

• 英文の和訳で困っています 和訳を教えてください

英文の和訳で困っています 和訳を教えていただきたいですよろしくお願いします!! After many had only joined with scepticism and hesitation, action against resistant farmers was announced. At the end of the 1950s there was a campaign against anyone who refused. The continuing stream of refugees towards the ‘free’ West illustrated that the SED and their programme were not particularly popular amongst the population. Within the Party voices were at once raised against Ulbricht and his practice of going along with Soviet domination. A purge was already underway at the end of the 1940s against former SPD members and those Old Communists who had come out against the merger of the KPD and the SPD. Their opposition was particularly directed against the restructuring of the SED as a Stalinist cadre Party.

• だれかこの英文を解読お願いします(>人<;)

This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason: Your message was not delivered because the destination computer was not found. Carefully check that it was spelled correctly and try sending it again if there were any mistakes. It is also possible that a network problem caused this situation, so if you are sure the address is correct you might want to try to send it again. If the problem continues, contact your friendly system administrator. Host i.docomo.nejp not found. The following recipients did not receive this message: This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason: Your message was not delivered because the destination computer was not found. Carefully check that it was spelled correctly and try sending it again if there were any mistakes. It is also possible that a network problem caused this situation, so if you are sure the address is correct you might want to try to send it again. If the problem continues, contact your friendly system administrator. Host i.docomo.nejp not found. The following recipients did not receive this message: Please reply to <Postmaster@i.softbank.jp> if you feel this message to be in error. Please reply to <Postmaster@i.softbank.jp> if you feel this message to be in error.

• 下記の英文の意味を教えてください。お願いします。

As I previously mentioned, this will be a meeting ONLY for AAA and all other BBB were not invited to this meeting. I’m sorry about the confusion. I was looking forward to seeing you as well but there was a sudden change…

• 英文の意味を教えて下さい。

アメリカのネットショップで小物を購入しました。銀行振り込みの件で相手から連絡がありました。既に振り込みましたが振込先を相手が間違って私に伝えたそうです。詳しく知りたいのですみませんが英文の意味を教えて下さい。お願いします。 I know exactly. Because you were paying in $$$ I thought you were supposed to pay through the sterling account. However, our accountant called me to tell me we haven't received the money the money was not sent it is still with you as the account is not an international account. Please see Emily in CC. If you check with your bank and get confirmation of that please transfer the money to the correct account. We apologies for the inconvenience 私の名前.

• この英文の意味を教えて

NHKのテキストにあった英文です。「Were you nervous up there?」 「緊張していたの?」。この場合up thereはどういうニュアンスにとればいいのでしょうか。なくてもいいのでは?。手持ちの辞書やオンライン辞書で調べましたがよくわかりませんでした。見落としかもしれませんが。私の乏しい想像力では「あの時」くらいにしか思いつきません。

• 英文を訳して下さい

You kill the messengers, but not the truth. この英文の訳をよろしくお願いします。

• 意味を教えてください。

You should try being not afraid and honest when I ask questions, there is no shame in honesty and truth between people. よろしくお願いします❗️