• ベストアンサー

英文の意味について

The company follows the Gap clothing chain in deciding that rather than washing its hands of conditions in its supplier factories, it will monitor them. Campaigners against sweatshops hope the change by a market leader by Nike will now persuade others to do the same. 上記の文章の文法的構成が分からないため意味が理解できません。 以下が私の理解できる(理解している?)内容です。 その会社は供給工場のrather than washing its hands of conditionsを決める際にギャップチェーンに従う。 it will monitor them.<=何が何を監視するのか分かりません。 労働搾取工場に反対する運動員はナイキのリーダーによる変化を望みます。また、運動員は他の人たちに 同じようなことをするように説得するでしょう。 以下の文章は,S(Campaigners)の後にV(hope,persuade)が二つあるのですがどのように理解すればよろしいでしょうか? また、S+V+Vのような形の文章はよく使用されるのでしょうか?また、どのようなときに使用するのでしょうか? Campaigners against sweatshops hope the change by a market leader by Nike will now persuade others to do the same. 以下の分が主節となっているのでしょうか? Campaigners against sweatshops hope the change by a market leader by Nike ご教授の程宜しくお願いいたします。 全文は以下のurlから http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/newsenglish/witn/2005/04/050415_nike.shtml

noname#18328
noname#18328
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

こんばんは。怠け者なので全文は見ていませんが、わかる範囲で。  まず構造から。構造はもちろん品詞と意味の両方から攻めています。  一文目。in deciding~からピリオドまでが大きな前置詞句。dicideの目的語がthat以下すべての名詞節。名詞節の中は、厳密に言えば文法的に破格。正しくは、以下のとおり。 it will monitor conditions in its supllier factories rather than (it will) wash its hands of them.  (them=conditions in its supllier factories) A rather than B=rather A than B(BよりもむしろA)の構造では、thanは本来接続詞です。これは簡単な比較の文を思い出してもらえばわかりますね。 He is taller than I. という文で、than以下が前に出て倒置、という形は決してできないですね。なぜならthanは接続詞でheとIの主語同士を結んでいるからです。もちろんandのような等位接続詞ではないですが、比較の形を整えるという意味でも動かしません。それにしたがえば、本文は私が指摘したようにならなければならないのですが、このthanを前置詞のように用いる例がネイティヴの文で散見されます。くだけた表現では市民権を得ているのかよくわかりませんが、He is taller than I.をついHe is taller than me.と書いてしまった経験は誰にでもあるでしょう。それがうっかり校正をスルーしてしまうと、thanは前置詞?みたいに勘違いされてしまい、なし崩し的に用いられてしまうのかと思います。 「その会社は、系列工場の状況から手を引くよりむしろそれを監視するというGAP服飾チェーンの決定に従う」  二文目。hopeの目的語は何でしょう?the changeでしょうか?いいえ、the changeの前にthatが省略された名詞節です。で、will persuadeの主語はthe changeです。 「環境の劣悪な工場の改善を望む人々は、ナイキのような業界大手の変革が他社へも波及する(同じようなことをするよう他社を説得する)ことを期待している」  ここでは一文目のfactoriesとsweatshopsが同義で、服飾工場の環境が劣悪であり、それをGAPのグループも放って置けなくなっている、と私は読みました。ご参考になれば幸いです。  

noname#18328
質問者

お礼

完璧なご説明ありがとうございます。

その他の回答 (1)

• bender
  • ベストアンサー率45% (108/236)
回答No.1

私は以下のように考えました。 > "... in deciding that [ (rather than washing its hands of conditions in its supplier factories,) it will monitor them. ]" 以上の文で that 以下の節の主語は it なので、訳としてはおおよそ「[(washing its hands of ... するのではなく、)it will monitor them ] を決定することにおいて」ぐらいの訳だと思います。 全文としては、「"The company" は "the Gap clothing chain" にならい(="follows") "rather than ... monitor them" を決定した」ぐらいの訳でもよいのではないでしょうか。 > 「it will monitor them. <=何が何を監視するのか分かりません。」 "it" = "The company" (= "Nike") かと思います。 > 「S(Campaigners)の後にV(hope,persuade)が二つある...」 動詞 hope 以降は節だと思います。 Campaigners against sweatshops hope (that) [ [the change by a market leader by Nike ] will now persuade others to do the same. ] 実は、節の主語と思われる "the change by a market leader by Nike" の部分の訳がいまいちわかりません。 「Nike(の影響)による a market leader の(=によってなされた)change」かと思ったのですが、"by a market leader = by Nike" であるようにも思えるので、「a market leader である Nike による change は」ぐらいの訳になるのかもしれません。

noname#18328
質問者

お礼

的確なご説明ありがとうございます。 前半の質問は倒置が起こっていたが理解できないでいたため分からなかったようです。また、後半の質問は、主節等が正しく理解できていなかったようです。 ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 英文解釈について

以下の最後の部分( but rather, put it further off)がどのように結びついているか含めて理解できません。 文法的な解説とあわせて解説して頂けると助かります。 よろしくお願いします。 The resolution…won't change anything on the ground. It won't advance the establishment of a Palestinian state, but rather, put it further off.

• ある歌詞を英文にしてみました。becauseとcauseの違い。jewelの意味するもの。

Knew the outcome with just a touch in the air Had such selfish love philosophy for a long time My empty heart was never healed, and covered it up with other wound ★Couldn’t hide the sadness cause weakness leak out, you know. Just wanna hold your hands Just wanna walk by your side I know its fragile So just wanna stay as your dear friend Could I stay longer if I didn’t lean over? Only if I didn’t care… Now I am away and know its far away Ridiculed, put down, and still care about you I thought I was the one to blame. Yeah, I’m miserable hopelessly Just wanna hold your hands Just wanna walk by your side ※But I know its fragile So, seeing you, jewel, makes everything alright If we meet in some distant future, will you smile for me? Just wanna hold your hands Just wanna walk by your side ※But I know its fragile So, seeing you, jewel, makes everything alright Just wanna hold your hands Just wanna walk by your side But I know its fragile True, just wanna stay as your dear friend Just wanna stay as your dear friend 一度、人に訳して戴いたものを、自分なりに訳し、更に添削を受けました。 直された箇所について: ★マークのところについて、becauseを使わず、causeを使っている理由を教えて下さい。 ※マークのところについて、敢えて、jewelを入れている理由を教えて下さい。

• well againstの意味

この文章で出てくる、well againstの意味を教えて下さい。 Countries that perform well against these criteria will be recompensed by getting a disproportionate amount of aid, trade and debt reductions.  Countriesはcriteriaに「沿った行動」を採るのでしょうか?それとも「それとは対立的な行動」を採るのでしょうか。wellとagainstは、対立的な意味を持っているというイメージがあったので、辞書にもあたってみたのですが、はっきりと分かりませんでした。  will以下の単語も調べたのですが、recompenseは「ある人の行為に対する報い」とあり、「報酬」と「報復」、とも訳せます。  また、disproportionateも、その意味は「不釣り合いな、不均衡な」なので、「不釣り合いなほど、大きい」あるいは「不釣り合いなほど、小さい」とも解釈出来るようです。  このような事情で、well againstがしっかりと分かっていないと、この文章の意味は分からないと思いました。  宜しくお願いします!

• 英文の自己紹介文なのですが・・

こんにちは。 ある仕事に応募しようと思っているのですが、書き出しがなかなか うまくきまらず困っています。 The reason I hope to join your office is that I will give me the opportunity to improve my English communication skills more than now and hope to make a contribution to your office by using my English ability. 特にhope以下が自信がないのですが、英語力を生かしてといいたいの ですがby using my English abilityっておかしいでしょうか? よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語の意味を教えてください。

If your are comfortable with the security conditions in your neighborhood and it would be acceptable and safe for the UPS driver to leave your package at your door without being signed for, then choose "Ok to leave at my location without being signed for" Otherwise, choose "Someone will sign for this when delivered". The courier will not leave the package unless it is signed for. We are not responsible for costs of packages returned to us that were never signed for or pickup up by the addressee. Note: If you choose to not have the package signed for and its lost or stolen from your property, its your responsibility. Once its been delivered and a tracking number shows it delivered to your location, its out of our hands.

• 英文の翻訳をお願いします。

ebayで出品した商品に対して質問がありました。良く分かりません、翻訳お願いします。 i was just about to buy the item and when i am about to commit to buy its giving me the 21.95 shipping only option is there something wrong or a way to change that please let me know the auction is about to end and ill problably will not have the chance to buy it :(

• 英文の意味を教えて下さい。

イギリスのネットショップで小物を購入予定です。安い買い物なんですが送料が高くて困っています。その事を相手に相談していました。返事がきたんですがちょっと意味がわかりません。すみませんが意味を教えて下さい。お願いします。 These prices are without duties and taxes which you will need to pay upon the arrival of your goods there. Also, these prices are approximate because 運送会社require the exact dimensions and the exact weights of each carton and I cannot give it to them now as like I told you we have boxes of different dimensions and also the weight will be different. So these prices will definitely change but I can only tell you the exact amount when your order is packed. The £545 is for sea freight, but you need to have a minimum of 10 cartons to be able to have it shipped by sea. This amount also excludes your taxes which you will have to pay there. I hope this is clearer, let me know please if you have any more questions.

• この英文はどういう意味ですか?

先日旅行先のホテルに忘れ物をし、メールで問い合わせをしたところ 確認がとれましたので。私は以下の返信をしました(私自身は英語ができないのでokwaveで英文をコピペしました) ______________________ Thank you very very much!!!!! for your finding my personal thing left behind. Will you send it by courier service ? It is OK for your convenient way about the payment. Please let me know its way. Surely I have credit cards. Please let me know the amount I have to pay if possible. Thank you. You helped me a lot. ______________________ 「国際便で忘れ物を届けてほしい、その値段も教えて欲しい」という旨です。 そして以下がホテル側から帰ってきた返信がこちらです ______________________ Great to hear that it is yours I will inform back to you while I know price. Thanks and Best Regards, ______________________ 短い文章で帰ってきたので、ちゃんと私の想いが伝わっているのか不安になりました ホテルからの返信をどなたか訳してください、よろしくお願い致します。

• 英文を訳して下さい。

Thus by 8:45 most of the first major Allied attack was completely repelled leaving only Dabica in Russian hands. The situation of the 4th Regiment remained serious because the Bulgarians and Germans were encircling it from three sides. At 14:40 the commander of the Franco-Russian forces General Lebouc ordered the Russian Brigade to attack and capture "Heintselman" with its 3rd Regiment while the 17th Colonial Division carried out a new assault against "Caesar". The attack, which was scheduled for 17:30, was preceded by a very short but powerful artillery barrage which caused damaged to the defensive line. Still once the attacking Russian and French infantry moved out of its trenches and reached the Bulgarian barbed wire it was hit by a very powerful artillery bombardment, coming from the nearby Bulgarian and German batteries, which caused great confusion among its ranks. Thus three consecutive waves of attacking infantry were driven back to their starting trenches and the Russian infantry which managed to get to "Heintselman" was decisively repelled by its German defenders. By 18:00 the attack was called off all together. Despite this setback the Russians continued to hold their positions on "Dabitsa" but the initiative was now in German and Bulgarian hands. The commander of the 22nd Infantry Brigade colonel von Reuter planned to retake his lost positions by attacking from both the west and east sides of "Dabica". The artillery preparation for the attack began at 19:40 and delivered a devastating bombardment on the Russian positions.

• 意味の分かりにくい英文です

"The world knows nothing of its greatest men." That may be true, but how can we tell? If we know nothing about them, we cannot tell whether they were great. But there is a good chance that, by the time the world knows about them, they will have ceased to be great. A man usually does his best work just before he is found out. If he has done anything very well, there is a conspiracy to prevent him from doing it again. He becomes a celebrity, and the lion-hunters give him no peace. It must be owned that sometimes he likes it. 上記で、But there is a good chance that, by the time the world knows about them, they will have ceased to be great. If he has done anything very well, there is a conspiracy to prevent him from doing it again. It must be owned that sometimes he likes it. などが特によく理解出来ません。 よろしくお願いいたします。