• ベストアンサー

どうも上手く訳せません。

どうも上手く訳せません。 If he were asked, he would say that no athletics game was proper for an Sports day, but such as admitted at least twenty children. 直訳すると「もし彼に尋ねたなら、運動会にふさわしい競技はなかったが、少なくとも20人の子供を認めたと言うだろう」? 特にbut以降がしっくりくるように訳せません。よろしくお願いします。

• pony09
  • お礼率73% (127/173)
  • 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数8

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nebusoku3
  • ベストアンサー率38% (1437/3766)
回答No.4

If he were asked, he would say that no athletics game was proper for an Sports day, but such (event) as admitted at least twenty children. (event)を無理やり入れてみました。 もし、彼が尋ねられた(あるいは頼まれた)なら、彼は恐らく、少なくとも20人の子供たちが参加するような(催し)場合を除けば、1日で行う体育祭の日にふさわしい競技は無いというだろう。 (子供が20人集まれば可能かなというニュアンス。) ※尋ねられるというより何かを頼まれた可能性もありますね。 間違っているかもしれませんが、参考になれば幸いです。

pony09
質問者

お礼

お答えありがとうございます!大いに参考になりました!

その他の回答 (3)

回答No.3

>admit の別の意味ではどうでしょうか。 私は、別の意味だと思いますけど、そもそももともとの文章のまま引用していますか?本当にそこで文章は終わるのですか? 文章の途中ではなくて? そこを補足してもらえない事には回答できません。

pony09
質問者

お礼

お答えありがとうございました!

回答No.2

絶体文章の途中で勝手に「.」を入れて引用してるでしょ! 文章が不自然に切れているように思います。 もしくは勝手に単語を入れ替えて質問していませんか? もう一度原文を確認してください。 どうしても意味が通る文章になるとは思えません。 もしくは、前後の文章を補足してください。

pony09
質問者

お礼

お答えありがとうございました!

pony09
質問者

補足

admit の別の意味ではどうでしょうか。 難しいことは何もないかもしれませんが but、such as、についても説明いただけるとありがたいです。

• Nebusoku3
  • ベストアンサー率38% (1437/3766)
回答No.1

もし、彼が尋ねられたなら、彼は恐らく、少なくとも20人の子供たちが認めたことを除けば、1日で行う体育祭の日にふさわしい競技は無いというだろう。 If he were asked, となっていることから、尋ねられる可能性は殆ど無いと思っていますね。(通常は If he was asked, ) 20人の子供たちが突然出てきますが、文の前後に何か伏線が有るのかもしれません。  間違っているかもしれませんが、参考になれば幸いです。

pony09
質問者

お礼

お答えありがとうございました!

pony09
質問者

補足

admit の別の意味ではどうでしょうか。 難しいことは何もないかもしれませんが but、such as、についても説明いただけるとありがたいです。

関連するQ&A

• 文の意味の違いを教えてください。

「そんなことを言うとは彼も愚かだった。」を英訳します。 (1)It was foolish of him to say such a thing. (2)He was foolish enough to say such a thing. これ(1)が正しいのはわかりますが、(2)がいけない理由がイマイチぴんときません。 直訳すると(2)「彼は、そんなことを言う という行為をするには もう十分なほどアホだった。」となって、結局『そんなことを言った』のか言わなかったのかについては、言及されていない文になっちゃうってことですか? でもI was surprised to hear the news.と同じ文型にみえてしまって、混乱してます。 教えてください。宜しくお願いいたします。

• 和訳をよろしくお願いします

He says he would marry me if a second marriage were in the cards for him. I've already accumulated one ex-husband, but if this fellow were game, I'd try it again. 和訳をよろしくお願いします

• 直訳を教えて下さい。

以下の英文の直訳を教えてください。 Even though it was he who created my brother and i but he was such a miserable old man. 部分的には分かる所もありますが it was he who の所が、今一つ分かりません(強調構文というそうですが)^^; 宜しくお願いします。

• 英文を訳してください。

He doesn’t say anything, but there is sadness in his eyes as he turns them upon(to) the sad remains of what he had made with such pride. ↑ upon でもtoでも良いみたいです。 前の文を省略していますが、分かりますか?

• catch himself

My father had an ulcer that became infected. It was relatively simple to cure but he refused to believe the doctors. Instead he diagnosed himself with some sort of virus. He stopped taking his medicine. He created his own ointments instead. He’s very intelligent so his reasoning could sound very convincing. It was hard to identify when it crossed the line into mental illness. But the infection never healed. He went from surfing and swimming every day to barely being able to walk. He aged twenty years. And still he refused to go to a doctor. He’d isolate himself from anyone who challenged him. When he finally collapsed and was admitted to a hospital, the doctors said he had the lowest red blood cell count they’d ever seen. Only then did he accept that things were out of his control. He’s much healthier now. He’s almost back to normal. He’ll occasionally fall into the old script of defending his actions, but he manages to catch himself. catch himselfはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• どのような意味でしょうか

I am a mother of three children, but it's the oldest my husband and I worry about. When "John" went to college, he started drinking a lot. I asked him about it then, and he admitted that he might have a problem, but he did nothing about it. That was 10 years ago. He has had two DWIs since, and he drinks every day. I found out from his girlfriend that he actually gets into the shower with a beer in his hand. I recently noticed that the whites of his eyes are yellow, which I'm told is a sign of liver damage. We've tried talking with John, but he denies he has a problem. My daughter and her friends have gone out socially with John, and she says he is fun to be with, and then suddenly a switch flips and he yells and curses. gone out socially with Johnはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 翻訳(和訳)をお願いします。

While Smith had the musician impressed, he revealed that his mind was somewhere else at the time. “My concern was that I was going to get killed,” the King Richard star admitted. “That was my concern when I was trying to spit my game, but I ain’t really have nothing.” "I was always faked like I had game. I didn’t really have game,” he added. “I was always in this full-on, trying to give the wildest flavor of having game, but that might have been the most terrified I had ever been trying to shoot my shot with Pepa. And I didn’t believe I had a real shot.” 翻訳サイトを使っても意味がわかりません。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英文の翻訳

和訳をしていただけるかたのみで、 お願いできますでしょうか? 1つの段落の前半部分となります。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 His father was a man who was Tall, and moderately fat with large eyes and black hair and a long banana or crescent moon shaped face. A proud looking man. He had trouble with one of his knees and his leg was a bit weak or crooked. He had a hospitable and generous nature. He tried to mould the minds of his children into the right direction in life. Married late in life to a woman of superior position and his past was not so good. He could be melancholic and liked to study or read in the silence of his own chamber with a lamp, which his children were not welcome to disrupt. He was stricter and sharp with the children when they were small. but, gentler when they were older and behaved better. He could be merry, eat drink and have fun and include the children. He felt happy amongst his family and children. He was intuitive and had a spiritual side.

• 和訳お願いします

One day while making such a test, I made a very interesting discovery,described as follows in the words of Wilson S.Howell: 'Mr,Edison's judgement and prevision were generally so excellent,so accurate,that a miss was rather disturbing to him. After he had carefully thought out a plan,he wasn't always meekly patient if the test or demonstration upset his calcurations. He wouldn't hesitate to question a test and request its repitation,carefully going over the methods and conditions of the tests to find a flaw or error which would upset the conclusions. 'Mr.Jehl was asked one day to make a test for Mr.Edison, the results of which were very disappointing.The test was repeated but still the figures were nor pleasing.Each step in the test was questioned and carefully gone over by the great inventor, but its accuracy couldn't be shaken.As a last resort, Mr.Edison asked Mr,Jehl if he had made any allowance for the friction against the air of the light beam from the mirror of the Thomson Reflecting Galvanometer used in the tests. Jehl acknowledged he hadn't but would calculate it at once if Mr.Edison would give him the constant.' In such cases,when Edison joked he gave a broad smile, put his left hand behind his neck,scratched his right ear and marched away.

• 和訳お願いします

The incident might have turned out far more disastrously to us both than that 'pairfeckly safe' one of Kruesi's.I learned on the following day that the flying feathers were from two turkeys belonging to Andrus, the pattern maker,who complained that he was now going to be 'fed up' for a week or so on turkey meat. He admitted however that a track was no proper roosting place. And Insull admitted that an electric locomotive could attain a surprising speed and would no doubt compete with the steam one in the future.