My Wife and I: A Story of Success and Strained Relationships

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Discover the meaning of 'multipost-grad' and the role 'ourselves' plays in the phrase 'successful ourselves.'
  • Learn about the strained relationship between a couple and their successful children, despite providing everything for their success and happiness.
  • Find out the definition of 'strained' in the context of holiday gatherings and the tension it brings.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

よろしくお願いします

My wife and I raised two children -- a son who is a successful doctor and a daughter who is a multipost-grad botanist. We are 72 now, in moderately failing health and very successful ourselves. Our children were raised properly. We gave them all they would ever need to succeed and be happy. However, neither one is particularly interested in a loving relationship with us. Holidays together are strained. multipost-gradはどのような意味でしょうか?あと、successful ourselvesのourselvesにはどのような役割(意味)があるのでしょうか?あと、ここでのstrainedの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4114/5348)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.2

1。 multipost-gradはどのような意味でしょうか? multi は、下記のように、複数とか、多重のという意味です。  https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=multi  post-grad というのは学部を出た学生で、二つ以上の学部経験のある(植物学者)という意味でしょう。また修士も博士もないが、というのの言い換えかも。 2。あと、successful ourselvesのourselvesにはどのような役割(意味)があるのでしょうか?  親の我々の方でも、人のご厄介にならないで、独立して、を強調しています。 3。あと、ここでのstrainedの意味を教えてください。  緊張した、不自然な、ぎこちない、ちょっと引っ張れば切れそうな、今にも絶縁寸前の、と言ったピリピリした感じで、愛し合っている親子の情がない、こと(下記)でしょう。 https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=strained

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (1)

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.3

#2です。寝言です。  知人のアメリカ人に「私の〇〇は~」と切り出す人がいて、〇〇の中には医者とか判事とかがよく出てくるので、それだけでどういう型の人か見当がつきます。  こういうのは「いつ結婚するの」「いつ子供を作るの」と聞き、周りの者は愛情と尊敬をもって接してくるのが当然である、という考えの人が多いようです。  そうすると親と話しているとうざいことばかり聞くから、付き合いは最小限度、ということになり、ここでのstrainedの意味が、はっきりすると思います。  

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• これは推測のmustか義務のmustのどちらですか?

If we are to be successful in carrying out these policies, it is clear that we must have continued prosperity in this country and we must keep ourselves strong. 取ろうとする政策を述べたあと、このパッセージです。文の構造は "it is clear that we must keep ourselves strong." なのか、それとも独立して "we must keep ourselves strong." なのかどちらでしょうか? すなわち、前者は「に違いない(推測)」、後者は「しなければならない(義務)」 どちらの解釈が妥当でしょうか?

• 長いですが和訳をお願いします(>_<)

Self-esteem refers to all of the beliefs and feelings we have about ourselves. It is how we view who we are. How we see ourselves influences the way we do things and what our attitudes and behaviours are. It also affects our emotions. Patterns of self-esteem start very early in life. For example, a baby who reaches a certain goal feels a sense of accomplishment that strengthens its self-esteem. Learning to roll over after dozens of unsuccessful attempts teaches a baby a "can-do" attitude. 大変長くて申し訳ありませんが、上の英文の和訳が分かる方がいれば、どうかよろしくお願いします!!!

• 和訳をお願いいたしますm(_ _)m

和訳をよろしくお願いします! On November 15 a festival is held for children seven (siti)five(go) and three(san) years old, and so the festival is called shichi-go-san. The reason why we have a celebration for these years is because odd numbers are believed to be lucky since they cannot be divided by two. In addition, we are told that since the ages of 7, 5 and 3 years are important growth steps for children, it is, therefore, significant to honor the children of these ages. In many parts of Japan, a child is received as a member of a shrine parts when he or she is seven. Though the are variations according to locality, in general, boys who are three and five and girls who are three and seven are dressed in their best clothes, and are taken by their parents to large and prestigious shrines, and very often A to the shrines of their local deities. It is customary after the visit to buy chitose-ame(thousand-year candy), sold at the stalls on the grounds of the shrine. よろしくお願いしますm(_ _)m

• We are not close.

It is in our collective behavier that we are most mysterious.We won't construct machines like ourselves until we've understood this, and we're not close. All we know is the phenomenon. この we're not close. とはどういう意味でしょうか?教えて頂けないでしょうか?よろしくお願い致します。

• 英文を訳していただけませんか?

We are looking for an au pair to expose our wonderful children (1,7 and 9) to japan. We already have a nanny, so this is a true au pair experience. We have a lovely townhome to share and, if you are interested in film, my wife is a producer and would be willing to get you involved in her films. 英語が得意な方、日本語に訳してほしいです。

• どのような意味でしょうか

We recently moved into a house in a suburb that feels like a small town. We like the house, but I’m still not sure about leaving the city. My children love our front yard, and we play out there nearly every day. My children are young, 4 and 1 years old, and the back yard is a hill that is difficult to negotiate for my littlest. a hill that is difficult to negotiate for my littlestはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 連鎖関係詞節、関係詞連鎖でwho/whomについて

安藤貞雄(1987), 続英語教師の英文法研究, p.239, 大修館によれば、 「We feed children who(m) we think are hungry. (腹をすかせていると思われる子供らに食事を与えるのです)」とあるのに対し、 高橋潔、根岸雅史(1999), 基礎からの新総合英語, 数研出版によれば、 「John is a boy who (I think) will succeed in the future. この文は次の2文を1文にしたものと考えればよい。 John is a boy. + I think (that) the boy will succeed in the future. I think につられて、a boy whom I think will ~ としないよう。」 このようにあります。 前者の例でいきますと、 We feed children who are hungry.ともできますし、この結果からいきますと 後者の文章もJohn is a boy whom I think will ~とできそうに見えますが、 これはいったいどちらが正解なのでしょうか。

• 和訳おねがいします

We will make sure that our trade is divided equally among the markets, in which we sell the products ourselves,compared with the markets in which sales are assisted by partners and distributors. 我々の職業はパートナーや卸売業者で助けられている市場と比べて 生産品を売る市場で平等に分けられているのはたしかです。 もっと上手く和訳おねがいします。 products の次の ourselves はどう訳せばよろしいですか

• 以下の英文の解釈をお願いします。

以下に英文(大幅に省略しているので文章の繋がりは読めないです、スミマセン)と、それに対する疑問点を書かせていただきます。よろしくお願いいたします。 It is a beneficial thought that we were once children.(省略) We try to behave not as we want to behave, nor even as we think we ought to behave, but as we think others expect us to behave. So we enter into a world of pretence and deception, deceiving others and perhaps ourselves as well, and being deceived by them in turn. So we are placed under a continual strain.(省略) After all, it isn't so easy to act the part of someone else, according to what we imagine others may be expecting of us, especially when that expectation may change from day to day. As for all this strain, I hardly need add how harmful it must be to our health. (省略) Pretending we are still children is just as bad as pretending we are other adults than ourselves.(省略) All pretence is positeively harmful, if only by putting us under a strain and so impairing our health. At the same time, we must recognize there's still something of the child left in us. We never grow up in such a way as to leave the past entirely behind us. What we were, in a deep sense, we still are: and it is important for our health and peace of mind to admit the fact. 2(5)文目で"we think(imagine)"という挿入がなされている所が上手く訳出できませんでした。3文目の"in turn"は「騙し、その次には騙される」という感じで訳したのですがどうでしょうか?10文目で"such a way as to~"に関してこれは"so as to~"的に訳せばいいのでしょうか?11文目は":"の前の部分の構造がまったくわかりませんでした。

• children は・・・

A student who attends the same school as my children is competing in the National Junior Tennis Competition. 2行目my children の後、なぜare ではなくis なのか分かりません。 辞書でchildren を調べても単数使いとは 記載なしです。