Etiquette and Anxieties in Ride-Hailing Services

このQ&Aのポイント
  • About a month ago, a truck with an attached trailer lost control while on the highway and smashed into my sedan. Luckily, everyone was OK. However, my car is currently in the shop for major repairs.
  • I'm working through some fear of driving, and I didn't want to pay the insurance on a car I might not use, so I decided to forgo getting a rental. Instead, my insurance is covering the cost of ride-hailing services. My son introduced me to some apps, and I've been using them to get to and from work and other places a few days a week.
  • Most drivers have been very pleasant. However, I am perplexed by the etiquette, and the internet hasn't been much help. Sometimes the driver will motion for me to sit up front. Sometimes I get no acknowledgment until I'm already climbing in the back of the car. Sometimes I open the front door and there's a bag in the way, which leads to a shuffle, with the driver trying to move the bag and me trying to get in the back, and I end up feeling nervous. Sometimes the driver is chatty when I'm in no mood to chat; I don't want to be rude, so I'll exchange some small talk. Sometimes I'd like to talk but the driver seems to want quiet, so I don't talk because I don't want to be rude. My son says this is all normal, but I'm tired of feeling anxious in the cars. Are there ways to show that I'm interested in talking or not?
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

よろしくお願いします

About a month ago, a truck with an attached trailer lost control while on the highway and smashed into my sedan. Luckily, everyone was OK. However, my car is currently in the shop for major repairs. I'm working through some fear of driving, and I didn't want to pay the insurance on a car I might not use, so I decided to forgo getting a rental. Instead, my insurance is covering the cost of ride-hailing services. My son introduced me to some apps, and I've been using them to get to and from work and other places a few days a week. Most drivers have been very pleasant. However, I am perplexed by the etiquette, and the internet hasn't been much help. Sometimes the driver will motion for me to sit up front. Sometimes I get no acknowledgment until I'm already climbing in the back of the car. Sometimes I open the front door and there's a bag in the way, which leads to a shuffle, with the driver trying to move the bag and me trying to get in the back, and I end up feeling nervous. Sometimes the driver is chatty when I'm in no mood to chat; I don't want to be rude, so I'll exchange some small talk. Sometimes I'd like to talk but the driver seems to want quiet, so I don't talk because I don't want to be rude. My son says this is all normal, but I'm tired of feeling anxious in the cars. Are there ways to show that I'm interested in talking or not? 1 I decided to forgo gettingはI decided not to getと言っても同じことでしょうか? 2 ride-hailing serviceについて教えてください。 3 Sometimes the driver will motion for me to sit up front. Sometimes I get no acknowledgment until I'm already climbing in the back of the car. Sometimes I open the front door and there's a bag in the way, which leads to a shuffle, with the driver trying to move the bag and me trying to get in the back, の和訳を教えてください。 4 in the carsは一般的に「車の中で」でしょうか?なぜ定冠詞が付いているのでしょうか? 以上、よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4112/5346)
  • 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.2

#1です。補足です。 >>climbing in the back of the carのところですが、climbにそれらしい意味がなかったのですが、なぜclimbという単語が使われているのでしょうか? おっしゃる通り下記のような辞書ではまだ追いついていないようですが  https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=climb  climb in は、泥棒が二階の窓から入る時などに昔は使っていました、最近の自動車は大型化して(人を乗せて商売している車は特に)高いので、使います。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。

その他の回答 (2)

• koncha108
  • ベストアンサー率49% (1312/2665)
回答No.3

1 I decided to forgo gettingはI decided not to getと言っても同じことでしょうか? 前者はレンタカーを借りるのを我慢することに決めた。後者はレンタカーを借りないことに決めた。結果両方とも借りないわけですが、前者は本当は自分で運転したいのだけど、事故のことがあって運転が怖くて借りるのを我慢すると言うニュアンスで後者からはそれが抜け落ちます。 2 ride-hailing serviceについて教えてください。 いわゆride sharingでUberやLyftの様な一般の運転手がそれぞれの会社とシステムに登録して、スマホで呼ばれれば近くを走っている車が迎えにきて客を乗せ料金を取るサービス。日本にもUberはありますが法規制でタクシーと対して変わりませんがアメリカでは一般のドライバーが副業としてたくさん登録しています。中にはUber,Lyft両方に登録している人もいるそうで、結構な稼ぎになるらしいです。 3 Sometimes the driver will motion for me to sit up front. Sometimes I get no acknowledgment until I'm already climbing in the back of the car. Sometimes I open the front door and there's a bag in the way, which leads to a shuffle, with the driver trying to move the bag and me trying to get in the back, の和訳を教えてください。 あるときは運転手がわたしに前に座る様にうながします。あるときは後部座席にようやく入り込むまで(そのことに)気づかないことがあります。あるときは前のドアを開けるとそこに荷物が置いてあり、ドライバーが荷物を動かそうとするとするわ、私は後部座席に移ろうするわでチグハグなことになります。 4 in the carsは一般的に「車の中で」でしょうか?なぜ定冠詞が付いているのでしょうか? そんな車たち。つまり一般車では無くride-heilingで自分が混乱させられた様な車たちと限定しているのでtheになります。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。車に乗り込むときclimbというのはよく使われるのでしょうか?(辞書にはみあたりませんでしたが)

corta
質問者

補足

解決しました。失礼しました

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

1 I decided to forgo gettingはI decided not to getと言っても同じことでしょうか?  はい、そうです。 2 ride-hailing serviceについて教えてください。  下記のように予めライドへイリング会社に登録しておき、電話して行き先を告げると近くを流している車が乗せて行ってくれ、料金はカードでという組織です。  https://www.pahoo.org/culture/current_english/r/ride_hailing.shtmride-ha 3 Sometimes the driver will motion for me to sit up front. Sometimes I get no acknowledgment until I'm already climbing in the back of the car. Sometimes I open the front door and there's a bag in the way, which leads to a shuffle, with the driver trying to move the bag and me trying to get in the back, の和訳を教えてください。  運転手が助手席にと動作をする時も、後部座席にすでに乗り込もうとするまで、なんの指示もない時もある。  時には前のドアを開けると邪魔なバッグがあって、運転手はバッグを動かそうと、私は後部座席に向きを変えようとゴタゴタになる時がある。 4 in the carsは一般的に「車の中で」でしょうか?なぜ定冠詞が付いているのでしょうか?  こういう「ライドへイリングの」車、と特定してあるからでしょう。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。climbing in the back of the carのところですが、climbにそれらしい意味がなかったのですが、なぜclimbという単語が使われているのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

関連するQ&A

• 添削希望

Only, sometimes I can drive a car for a short time, enjoy shopping, dining out. And I love to listen to some genre of music, watch some genre of movies, t.v. shows, or a seven title matches of shogi on the Internet, and to play shogi on the App for iPad. I get tired easily, but am trying to make the most of my everyday life. Even if it's like I'm a dream, I start hoping so badly that I will be by your side. To be blunt, I get you, and you're kinda freaking me out.

• 翻訳をお願い致します。

Leaving for Santiago Chile in 5 hours. If I get kidnapped I'm counting on all of you to pitch in a couple of bucks to get me back.

• どのような意味でしょうか

I went to London, where I’d originally dreamed of riding a big red bus, catching a glimpse of Will and Kate, and cheersing full pints at the local pub. Instead, I found myself wandering down a trash-filled street, desperately trying to match up the address on my iPhone with the myriad gray buildings in front of me. I’d decided to explore a new profession while I was traveling. So, I was headed to a free (borderline-cheesy-looking) personal development seminar that Saturday morning. The rest of the people in the room were impressive, super-smart, and overly kind. Even more surprisingly, every single one of them were locals. 60 Londoners, and one traveling American—me. That’s when it dawned on me, while we all sacrificed our Saturday, to sit in a room full of strangers and “check out” a new potential passion— they were doing this in their hometown, without quitting their day jobs. Somehow, I missed the memo. 最後のmissed the memoはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• get a hold of

I live in a different city from my long-term boyfriend, whom I love dearly. This weekend, I had far too much to drink and kissed another guy at a bar. It was a complete stranger—not someone I’m friends with, or attracted to, or anything of the sort. I have no idea what came over me, and I don’t even recognize that behavior. I did a lot of self-reflection, and I’ve decided that I need to get a hold of my drinking—I’m not a big drinker during the week, but occasionally on a weekend night I’ll binge drink. get a hold of my drinkingはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英語が堪能な方! 訳をお願いできますか?

I wanna try a song about being blonde, blondes. I was trying to think okay what I have to say. Well, I'm a blonde and blondes are more fun. There is several against them. I decided to play with it and I get sick out of it at the same time. I am totally forgot 'o person and I know that. So it's like yeah, I'm blonde so I'm sorry and I get kind of quirky. But you know, I don't consider myself a domb person. So it was just like this is what I'm like as an individual. And yes, there is a label being blonde but it doesn't define me. I wanna try the song 'bout being blonde. They showed me this track and I really liked it and just kind of singging along to it, singging with it and the song just flew pretty quickly.

• モンキーズのI'm A Beliverの訳詞を教えてください!

モンキーズのI'm A Beliverの訳詞を教えてください! I thought love was only true in fairy tales Meant for someone else, but not for me Love was out to get me That's the way it seemed Disappointment haunted all my dreams Then I saw her face, now I'm a believer Not a trace of doubt in my mind I'm in love and I'm a believer I couldn't leave her if I tried I thought love was more or less a giving thing Seems the more I gave, the less I got What's the use in trying, all you get is pain When I needed sunshine, I got rain Then I saw her face, now I'm a believer Not a trace of doubt in my mind I'm in love and I'm a believer I couldn't leave her if I tried (instrumental) Love was out to get me That's the way it seemed Disappointment haunted all my dreams Then I saw her face, now I'm a believer Not a trace of doubt in my mind I'm in love and I'm a believer I couldn't leave her if I tried Saw her face, now I'm a believer Not a trace of doubt in my mind I'm in love, and I'm a believer

• 英語問題

今日この5つの文章を先生に見せたら間違っていると言われました。 1. The boy laid on the grass with their eyes closed. 2. There seem to be every hope that the paitient will get better. 3. As she had nothing to do, she decided one of the flowers in the garden 4. Bill handed me a small round box and told me open it. 5. I'm sorry to say that I have never bought a bunch of flowers my wife. これのどこが間違っているのでしょうか?

• 英文日記の添削お願いいたします。

A young couple was chav in appearance asked me to take them to a place in a car during driving in the middle of midnight. I listened to them through the window at first. However eventually opened the window and get them to hailed taxi despited I decided never to open the window and door. I talked a driver and handed them some papers. (cos they said that they had not enough money and it seemed true) They thanked me very much repeatedly. I found I felt regret for both my acts what I gave cold shoulder and what I opened the window when I saw that attitude. Such situations that force with a rang of choices often turn up in life. Wondering if my judgment was decent somewhat. 宜しくお願いいたします。

• 比較的簡単な英文のおかしいところがあればなおしてください。よろしくおね

比較的簡単な英文のおかしいところがあればなおしてください。よろしくおねがいします。 The first day my husband and I were in Tokyo. We went to a department store and did a lot of shopping. After shopping we got on a taxi in front of the department store to return to the hotel where we stayed. After a while we arrived at the hotel. My husband paid the taxi fare to a driver and we got out of the taxi. We came back to our hotel room. A few minutes later I found my purse was nowhere in our room. But I immediately rememberd having left my purse behind in the taxi. What a terrible thing it was! I wondered if I should try to call a taxi company but did'nt know which one we had used. I was very confused and at a loss what I should do. Just then the phone in our room rang. It was a call from the clerk at the front desk. He said the taxi driver had just come at the front desk to deliver my purse to me. I was very happy to hear that. I went to the front desk right away and received my purse from the driver with the contents intact. I thanked him from the bottom of my heart, shaking hands with him.

• 比較的簡単な英文のおかしいところがあればなおしてください。よろしくおね

比較的簡単な英文のおかしいところがあればなおしてください。よろしくおねがいします。 The first day my husband and I were in Tokyo. We went to a department store and did a lot of shopping. After shopping we got on a taxi in front of the department store to return to the hotel where we stayed. After a while we arrived at the hotel. My husband paid the taxi fare to a driver and we got out of the taxi. We reached our room in the hotel. A few minutes later I found that my purse was nowhere in our room. But I immediately rememberd that I had left my purse behind the taxi. What a terrible thing it was! I wondered if I should try to call a taxi company but did'nt know which one we had used. I was very confused and at a loss what I should do. Just then the phone in our room rang. It was a call from the clerk at the front desk. He said the taxi driver had just come at the front desk to deliver my purse to me. I was very happy to hear that. I went to the front desk right away and received my purse from the driver. I thanked him from the bottom of my heart, shaking hands with him.