What Does 'Hold It' Mean in this Context?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Find out the meaning of 'hold it' in this context and get guidance on how to address the issue of a 13-year-old dog going inside the house.
  • Learn about the challenges faced by the owner of a 13-year-old bichon frise and how to handle the situation when the dog cannot hold it any longer.
  • Discover the implications of the phrase 'hold it' and explore alternative solutions to the problem of a dog going inside the house during the owner's absence.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

hold it

I am having an issue with our 13-year-old bichon frise and am hoping that you can point me in the right direction. We adopted our dog when he was 1 year old, and he was house-trained. Until recently, our work schedule allowed us to walk him three times a day. Midsummer, my husband changed jobs, and we now are able to walk him only twice a day. It had not been an issue until recently. For the past two months, he has been going in the house nearly every day while we are at work. We have consulted the vet, and our dog was medically cleared. The vet suggested we sedate him during the day with a mild sedative, saying that should decrease the accidents. I have a few issues. I do not believe that it's right to sedate our dog just because he cannot hold it any longer. ここでのhold itはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4111/5344)
  • 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.4

ここでのhold itはどのような意味でしょうか?  下記の5、to contain control over に相当すると思います。  https://www.thefreedictionary.com/hold  便意を抑制する、と言う意味で「もはや排便を抑えることができないからと言って、我々の犬に鎮痛剤を与えるのはどうかと思う」と言うことでしょう。  sedate は、鎮静剤とか鎮痛剤の作用だけでなく「眠らせる薬」という安楽死に至らせる薬品投与の婉曲表現なので、嫌われている可能性もあります。   https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=sedate

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (3)

• koncha108
  • ベストアンサー率49% (1312/2665)
回答No.3

house-trainedが犬をやたらなところで放尿させないように訓練された、という意味。 それをふまえると、 going in the house は家でおしっこする。 それが問題なので、 hold it は、おしっこを我慢する。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

• pote56
  • ベストアンサー率75% (3/4)
回答No.2

おトイレを我慢するという意味のHoldだと思います。itが具体的に文章の中に出ていませんが、“accident”と言っている点からトイレを我慢するのHold itだと思います。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

• Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9705/12071)
回答No.1

>ここでのhold itはどのような意味でしょうか? ⇒「(犬が)それ(鎮静剤)に耐える・持ちこたえる(ことができない)」。 小型犬のビション・フリーゼで、しかも13歳と老犬ですので、毎日鎮静剤を与えて運動機能を抑制することで1日3回の散歩を2回以下に抑えていますが、おそらく、老犬の体(脳や内臓)が耐えられないのではないか、副作用(神経機能の減退など)の悪影響でどうにかなるのではないか、というようなことが心配なので鎮静剤をやめようか、どうしたらいいか、という相談のようですね。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• shove it in his face

I just got a rather large promotion at work that I’ve been working toward for a long time. At first my fiancé gave me a half-hearted congrats and insisted he was happy for me. But over the course of a few days, he became depressed, angry, and starting taking jabs at me for no reason. I finally asked what the issue was and he admitted that he was jealous of my promotion. He has a great job, and while I will make fairly more money than he does, I always have made more money. His job has predictable hours and much better benefits. When he was promoted a while back I was genuinely happy for him—I saw it as our success, not just his. He sees this as a competition that he has lost. It hurts a lot because I want him to be happy for me. I don’t gloat or shove it in his face, shove it in his faceはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• hold it together

My husband and I have been married more than 20 years. Once in a while, he'll stop being affectionate and ceases talking to me. Obviously, he is upset. He holds it together for our children, but I get the serious cold shoulder. holds it togetherはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英文添削をお願いします。

英語の再勉強中です。 英文を作成しましたので添削をお願いします。 There was also an affair today. Of course, that result was our big boss. After our boss reported his work to him, he took a joke, ‘the man who gave me this info told me that this is so expensive.’ This word aroused him and yelled. Then he himself called on the man who said it and clamed about it like child in the presence of us. It was really unbelievable scene. There is a problem wherever he is.

• コンマとアンドの使い方に関して 

We told him that he must say thank you , that when people present something for him , he must let them know he appreciate it. こういう英文って、コンマのかわりにandを使って We told him that he must say thank you and that when people present something for him , he must let them know he appreciate it. にしてはダメなのでしょうか???

• it ではなくthatの理由を教えてください。

it ではなくthatの理由を教えてください。 Ted was sad because he was going to change schools. When he told his friends about that, ......... 最後の about thatはabout itだと思いました。「he was going to change schools」これをitに置き換えて about itとするべきではないのでしょうか? 他のと比べてみて何が違うかわかりません。 But they didn't clean the place and went home. Masako saw it and became very sad. ここはsaw itな理由はわかります。they didn't clean the place and went homeを当てはめることができますから。同じように上の文もitだと思いました。

• 和訳してください

It's really nice to know than our grandchildren are healthy and doing well, isn't it?" Mavin said to his wife. "It certainly is, and we must stay well, too. I'm a little worried since you've been working so hard these days," his wife answered with a serious face. In fact, she was somehow more worriedthat night that night that ever about Mavin,s health. Marvin was in his sixties. His hair was turning white, but he was a big and strong man who liked to walk around the lake.

• 高校の文法問題

There seemed to be something ( ) 答えは he wanted done なのは分かるんですが なぜ that he wanted it done は駄目なのでしょうか? もう一問なんですが As was usual with him,he went out for a walk. この文の先頭のasがよくわかりません。教えてください。 お願いします。

• nuanced

My husband and I agreed not to give each other gifts for Valentine’s Day, so I bought him nothing. He bought a few small items and left them on the counter for me to find when I got home after 8 p.m. I tried to joke it off by saying, “I thought we agreed to not buy gifts.” His retort was snotty: “So I’m guilty of getting you something nice. I’m sorry.” After putting the kids in bed, an argument ensued. I told him I appreciated the thought behind the gift and thanked him for it, but shared that it makes me feel guilty for not reciprocating. He continued to apologize for buying something. I want him to understand that I’m hurt that he reneged on our agreement, not that he bought something. (This isn’t a financial issue.) I know it is nuanced and I seem ungracious, but he doesn’t see the difference. ここでのnuancedはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英文の構造、意味、訳の添削をお願い致します。

John Galsworthyという作家の『THE CHOICE』という物語を読んでいるのですが、 訳の添削と質問の個所の回答をお願い致します。 *"The 'house ain't for a man that respects himself," he would remark. And, since that was his conviction, such as respected themselves could not very well beg him to act against it. At the same time, it became increasingly difficult to pass him without wondering how much longer it would be before he finally sought shelter in the element of water, which was so apt to pour down on him day by day. (the element of water=「四大元素の一つ(自然の力)としての水」:本の注釈より) (1) such as respected themselvesが訳出できませんでした。       And, since that was his conviction,    such as respected themselves could not very well beg him to act against it.      の英文の構造はどのようになっているのでしょうか? (2) how much longer it would beのitはhis convictionですか? (3) which was so apt to pour down on him day by dayについて      whichの先行詞はwaterですか? (4)  pour down on himは「彼にどんどん流れ出る」ですか?     意味がわかりにくいです。 <訳> 「救貧院は自尊心を持つ人間のためにあるものではない」と彼は述べていたものでした。そして、それは彼の信念だったのでそれに反して行動することを彼に請い求めることはあまりよくできませんでした。同時に、彼が自然の力としての水に保護をついに探し出す前に、そしてそれは日に日にややもすれば彼にどんどん流れ出るようだったのですが、それがどのくらいより長いことになるか疑問に思うことなく彼を見過ごすことは、ますます難しくなっていきました。 よろしくお願い致します。 前文です。 He was so entirely fixed and certain that he was "going in the river" before he went "in the 'house," that one hesitated to suggest that the time was at hand when he should cease to expose himself all day and every day. He had evidently pondered long and with a certain deep philosophy on this particular subject, and fortified himself by hearsay.

• 下の英文で間違っているところ、不自然な表現、あまり聞かない表現などがあ

下の英文で間違っているところ、不自然な表現、あまり聞かない表現などがあればおしえてください。 One Saturday evening my boyfriend Hiroshi and I went to a concert. On our way to a concert hall, we met a foreigner having(carrying?) a traveling bag. He was looking around for something with a map in his hand. He seemed at a loss for which way to go. Then I went up and talked to him. He told me he was looking for a hotel, showing me the map.I I knew where the hotel was and suggested to him that I take him there. Hiroshi seemed worried about whether we could arrive before the starting time for a concert. But I couldn't leave him as he was a total stranger here and couldn't understand Japanese at all. We walked to the hotel for a while, and arrived there. He deeply thanked me and we separated. Meanshile, Hiroshi seemed so irritated because it was almost seven o'clock when the concert was scheduled to begin. After leaving the hotel, we went to the concert hall in a hurry. When we got to the hall, it was fifteen minutes past seven. Unfortunately we were not allowed to enter the inside by a hall clerk. Naturally, Hiroshi got mad at me.