How to Be Bright-Eyed and Bushy-Tailed in the Morning

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Learn the meaning of the phrase 'bright-eyed and bushy-tailed'
  • Understand the importance of appearing energetic in the morning
  • Explore strategies for getting a good night's sleep
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

bright-eyed&bushy-tailed

NHK実践ビジネス英語2017年12月号Lesson18(2)のSalmansさんの台詞からです。 But we have to appear bright-eyed and bushy-tailed first thing in the morning. 最初、bright-eyed and bushy-tailedの意味が分かりませんでしたが、感じは分かります。「元気いっぱい」ですね。Web検索の説明からは、リスの様子を表したようです。 ということでいつものように出典文献を探して一番近そうなのが、下記のものでした。 Terence Wallis - 2013 - ‎Biography & Autobiography Okay, no excuses tomorrow for sure I thought to myself as I headed home that afternoon, confident that I’d get it done first thing in the morning. I was now determined that I’d be first in line, bright eyed and bushy tailed and ready to go first thing Tuesday morning. I wanted to be in and out before the line up was unbearably long. This is the part where I was congratulating myself on the scathing brilliant plan I’d just devised. scathing〈批評・あざけりなど〉冷酷な, 仮借のない, 痛烈な この文献を読んでよく理解できたのは、NHKテキストにある”bright eyed and bushy tailed and ready to go first thing Tuesday morning”くらいでした。その他はまるで状況が浮かんできません。 最初の部分は、「明日こそは朝一でやるぞとその日の午後、家路につくときに自信をもって考えた。」でしょうか? 次は「火曜日の朝には、一番に元気いっぱいで並ぶぞ。」でしょうか? そして「列に並びbe in and列が耐えられないほど長くなる前にoutしたい(?)。」 最後の文に至っては、翻訳してみようという元気もなくなりました。 宜しくお願いします。 今回の質問にあまり必用のないNHKテキスト文ですが、参考までに載せておきます。 Salmans: I don't want to sound like a whiner, but up-and-at-'em, early-bird-gets-the-worm types are a bit hard for us nocturnal folks to handle. We don't go to bed early. It just isn't part of our DNA. But we have to appear bright-eyed and bushy-tailed first thing in the morning. The end result is that we night owls often end up chronically sleep-deprived. @2017年12月L18(2) bright eyed and bushy tailed https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bright%20eyed%20and%20bushy%20tailed Excited and attentive. Reffering to squirrels. As in 'Here is my new kindergarten class, all bright eyed and bushy tailed.' The allusion引喩 here is to the appearance of a squirrel, which with its beady eyes and bushy tail looks ready for anything. 1930s by Richard H G Bittner July 09, 2006 ※OKWAVEより補足:テーマ「実践ビジネス英語」から投稿された質問です。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

1。最初の部分は、「明日こそは朝一でやるぞとその日の午後、家路につくときに自信をもって考えた。」でしょうか?  おっしゃる通りです。 2。次は「火曜日の朝には、一番に元気いっぱいで並ぶぞ。」でしょうか?  はい、そうです。 3。そして「列に並びbe in and列が耐えられないほど長くなる前にoutしたい(? )。」  in and out は「入って(すぐ)出る」すなわち「さっさと済ませる」ということですから。「列が嫌という程長くなる前に、さっさと用事を済ませる」でしょう。 4。最後の文に至っては、翻訳してみようという元気もなくなりました。  これは痛烈な優れもので、今浮かんだばかりの我ながら褒めたくなるほどの計画だが、その部分はこうだ。(と言ってその名案の内容が続くイントロです)。

isaktoru
質問者

お礼

最後の1文も、翻訳していただいた日本文を下に考えたら納得です。分かってみればどうということのない文ですが、それが出来ないレベルです。唯一知らない単語のscathingもNHKテキストを見ていたら、次の台詞を見つけました。 Ueda: So what are they to do when somebody writes a scathing attack on their business that goes viral? @2016年7月L7(2) 出直してきます。ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• raring to go first thing

NHK実践ビジネス英語2017年12月号Lesson18(1)のSalmansさんの台詞からです。 People are bright, cheerful and raring to go first thing in the morning.  raring to しきりに…したがっている この講座では初登場の”raring to do”だと思うのですが、Oxford Dictionaryで見ると1920年代に登場ですから、まあ、新顔の部類ですね。”rare”の現在分詞となっていますが、rareはadjectiveとなっています。 形容詞rareは、普通1.1の「まれな,珍しい,めったにない」として出てきます(除く、rare roast beef)が、raringになると積極的な意味になるのは、やはり、現在分詞をいう性格を表しているのでしょうか。 出典かと思われる文献を読んでいたら、次のような文が見つかりました。 the other raring to go first thing in the morning when you can barely mumble a coherent sentence [質問] パートナーが朝一番から元気を出している時に、多分、ベッドの中でぶつぶつ言っているのでしょうが、”can barely mumble a coherent sentence”の意味がよく分かりません。”can barely mumble”だと「ぶつぶつ文句さえ言えない」ということで、布団を頭から被っているということでしょうか?よく意味が分かりません。 [ご参考まで] Oxford Dictionaryより rare:1(of an event, situation, or condition) not occurring very often. ‘a rare genetic disorder’ with infinitive ‘it's rare to see a house so little altered’ 1.1 (of a thing) not found in large numbers and so of interest or value. ‘one of Britain's rarest birds, the honey buzzard’ 1.2 Unusually good or remarkable. ‘he plays with rare sensitivity’ raring:with infinitive Very enthusiastic and eager to do something. ‘she was raring to get back to her work’ ‘I'll be ready and raring to go’ Origin:1920s: present participle of rare, dialect variant of roar or rear [出典] https://books.google.co.jp/books?isbn=073821504X DIFFERENT SLEEP SCHEDULES. Night owls seem to marry early bird. You may find that you and your partner are on two totally different clocks, with one of you revving up just when the other is ready to head to bed and the other raring to go first thing in the morning when you can barely mumble a coherent sentence before 9:00 in the morning. ※OKWAVEより補足:テーマ「実践ビジネス英語」から投稿された質問です。

• 3パターンの文

(1) I find it difficult to get up early in the morning. この文をthatを使って、 (2) I find that it is difficult to get up early in the morning. そしてthatを省略して、 (3) I find it is difficult to get up early in the morning. 3つとも正しい文ということになりますか?意味も同じでしょうか? よろしくお願いします。

• 作家になりたいって本当ですか !m?

参考書ふうの正直な和訳をお願いします。 Hope, they say, deserts us at no period of our existence. From first to last, and in the face of smarting disillusions, we continue to expect good fortune, better health, and better conduct; and that so confidently, that we judge it needless to deserve them. I think it improbable that I shall ever write like Shakespeare, conduct an army like Hannibal, or distinguish myself like Marcus Aurelius in the paths of virtue; and yet I have my by-days, hope prompting, when I am very ready to believe that I shall combine all these various excellences in my own person, and go marching down to posterity with divine honours. There is nothing so monstrous but we can believe it of ourselves. * Robert Louis Stevenson, Virginibus Puerisque and Other Papers

• 日本語訳お願いします!!

次の英文を日本語に訳していただけませんか?? 1,For me not much has been going on other then working and watching the rain and snow we have had. 2,Are there color gangs in japan or is it just a united state thing? 3,Is the weather in japan as mest up as it is over here? 4, i'll let you go because i need to get ready for work. 英語わかる方、よろしくお願いします!!

• 和訳お願いいたします。

s I'm writing this email right now ... you must still be sleeping. When I think of you ... how cute you look when you sleep ... I get such and empty feeling inside, because I want to be with you so much. That's why I just like to be with you. As you said, it doesn't really matter what we do as long as I'm with you. There is one thing I'm dreaming of ... that we don't have to do anything! That we have 1 day that we don't need to do anything. Sleep and lay in bed as long as we like, laze around, watch a movie together, ... …And I will leave for Osaka Wednesday the 5th of January early in the morning and I'm planning on coming back to Tokyo Friday the 7th in the evening. And Monday the 10th I will go back to Osaka and return to Tokyo on Friday the 14th in the evening. A

• 翻訳お願いします(2)

翻訳お願いします。 いつもお世話になります。 ぜひ翻訳をお願いしたい文章がありますので、翻訳をお願い出来ないでしょうか? この文章は僕の憧れのバーナード・ラガト選手の言ったことです。 曖昧には理解できますが、ぜひ彼が何と言っているのかしっかり知り、参考にし、学びたいんです! 宜しくお願いします! Will you be doing anything differently in training to prepare for this record attempt outdoors? BL: Yes. I’m heading to Flagstaff on April 1st. I normally do that every year. But when I’m there this year, I’m going to be focusing on endurance, working on long, nice runs—nothing less than 10 miles. We will be doing long tempo runs. We will be doing a lot of long hill work. We will be doing soft-surface repetitions as well, like on a golf course. We will be doing things this time around that will really get me ready for the 5,000m. I’ve realized when you run the 5,000m, when they show seven laps to go, that is when the tempo sometimes picks up and I start to feel it a bit. We are going to be working on that feeling in the race. By training harder, we are going to get me physically capable to keep up that kind of pace. Let’s say the guys try to slip in a 59- or 60-second lap in there when we have five or six laps to go—that is the territory I have never been in. And it would hurt if I were not ready. So we are going to make sure my training will be ready to handle any kind of surge or sudden difference of pace. This isn’t a world championship year, so it is very important that we aim at something like the 5,000m and the 3,000m.

• ensembleの意味

I've always invested in a couple of go-to outfit: smart-looking ensembles that I can wear in a variety of situations and I know I look sharp. This is worth spending some extra money on, I think ― go to a nice store and get a couple of chic outfits that you'll have ready to go on a moment's notice. That helps up internally as well as externally. ここでのensembleとhelps upの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 和訳お願いいたします

There is only one thing I really wanna do ... and that's be with you. Besides this I want to go to the fish market if that's possible. But I read that it's best to visit it early in the morning. However I don't think we should wake up early on your holiday! Is it possible to go another day, before you work maybe? If not I can go myself. On your day of ... let's relax. Is that ok for you? I would be really happy to meet your friends ... maybe I can ask them some bad things about you ... hahahaha. No I'm kidding. I'm really looking forward to meet your friends.

• 翻訳お願いします 英→日

翻訳お願いします 英→日 First of all this is in the court As I said and we will wait for that process to finish to get a verdict. Secondly This is none of your fucking business and I do not need to answer anything to you

• よろしくお願いします

My boyfriend of three years and I are getting married in December. I am so excited! He is perfect many in many ways. There is one thing; however, that bothers me to the point of tears the times we have discussed it. the times we have discussed itはこのような使われ方は初めて見たのですが、どのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします