Nixon's Decision to Bomb Cambodia: Protecting American Soldiers or Fueling Antiwar Movement?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Richard Nixon made the controversial decision to bomb Cambodia in order to target Viet Cong and its support base within the country. However, he argued that it was not an invasion or aggression, but a measure to protect American soldiers.
  • Despite Nixon's justification, his decision to cross the border into Cambodia reignited the antiwar movement.
  • This raises questions about the real motivation behind the bombing and its impact on the public perception of the war.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文を添削して欲しいです

Richard Nixon decided to bomb in Cambodia in order to attack Viet Cong and its support base that was lurking in there. (リチャード・ニクソンは、カンボジアに潜んで活動を行なっていたベトコンとその支援拠点を攻撃するため、カンボジア爆撃を決定した。) Nixon, on the other hand, he said it was to protect American soldiers and not "invasion" aimed at "aggression." (これに対しニクソンは、アメリカ兵を守るためであり、「攻撃」を目的とした「侵略」ではないといった。) However, Nixon's idea that over the border to Cambodia was revive the antiwar movement. (しかし、カンボジアへの国境を越えるニクソンの考えは、反戦運動を再熱させることとなった。) こちらの英文の添削をお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9726/12098)
回答No.1

>Richard Nixon decided to bomb in Cambodia in order to attack Viet Cong and its support base that was lurking in there. ⇒「ベトコンとその支援拠点を攻撃するために」は、to attack Viet Cong and its support base where many of its member were lurking in「ベトコンとその要員の多くが潜んでいる支援拠点を攻撃するために」のようになさったらいかがでしょう。 →Richard Nixon decided to bomb in Cambodia in order to attack Viet Cong and its support base where many of its member were lurking in. >Nixon, on the other hand, he said it was to protect American soldiers and not "invasion" aimed at "aggression." ⇒「これに対し」は誤解や混乱を誘う表現ですので、「この行動作戦に関して」On this operationとしましょう。「『攻撃』を目的とした『侵略』ではない(といった)」は、not to "invade" aimed at "attacking"「『攻撃すること』を目ざして『侵略する』のではない(といった)」とすることをお勧めします。 →On this operation, Nixon said that it was to protect American soldiers and not to "invade" aimed at "attacking". >However, Nixon's idea that over the border to Cambodia was revive the antiwar movement. ⇒「カンボジアへの国境を越えるニクソンの考え」はNixon's idea of crossing over the border to Cambodiaと、「再熱させることとなった」はwas going to reviveとなります。 →However, Nixon's idea of crossing over the border to Cambodia was going to revive the antiwar movement.

shhisyak
質問者

お礼

大変わかりやすい説明でとても勉強になりました! いつもよく助けられています! 本当にありがとうございます。

関連するQ&A

• 英文を添削して欲しいです

Richard Nixon had taken office as president in January of 1969, pledge to restore law and order and end the war with honor. (リチャード・ニクソンは、1969年1月に大統領に就任し、法と秩序を回復し、名誉で戦争を終結させることを約束しました。) He(Nixon) had to find a way to extricate Americans from Vietnam without seeming to surrender. (彼は降伏するようなことなく、ベトナムからアメリカ人を救出する方法を見つけなければならなかった。) Richard Nixon, having promised a swift end to the war, the result was like all the presidents who came before him, end up widening it. In the process, he would re-ignite opposition to the war on American campuses that threatened to tear the country apart again. (ニクソンは戦争の終結を約束したが、結果的に他の大統領と同じように戦争を拡大さた。それは学生の戦争反対運動に再び火をつけることととなった。) 上の英文の添削をして欲しいです。 また、別の表現方法などもあればそちらも教えて欲しいです。 (日本語訳に忠実でなくても大丈夫です) よろしくお願いします。

• 英文の訳し方について

英文⇨ The sight of American troops crossing the border into Cambodia reignited the antiwar movement. If the troops were coming home, if the war was winding down, why had Nixon decided to widen it? How could invading another country help bring peace to Southeast Asia? カンボジアへの国境を越える米軍の見方は、反戦運動を再燃させた。 軍隊が帰ってきたら、戦争が終わったら、ニクソンはなぜそれを広げることにしたのですか?(この2文目が特にわからないです) 他国を侵略すれば、東南アジアに平和がもたらせるのだろうか? 2文目なのですが、ifがついてるので「もし」ということですよね? 「たとえ軍隊が帰ってきても、戦争を終えたとしても、ニクソンはなぜそれを広げたのか?」…でしょうか?(これでも日本語としてはおかしいですよね…) あと2文目の最後のitは侵略、軍隊の拡大とかそういう意味で訳していいのでしょうか? わかる方、簡単に訳していただけると嬉しいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英文を添削してください

The antiwar movement gradually broke off. (反戦運動は次第に分裂しだした。) Some of the people who participated in the antiwar movement thought it was to protect more violently in order to complete end the war. (反戦運動に参加している人の中には戦争を完全に終らせるためにはもっと暴力的に抗議することだと考える人達がいた。) In other words, it means that violence should be competition with violence. (つまり言い換えると、暴力には暴力で対抗するべきだ、ということであった。) Strike accompanied by violence resulted in the loss of some lives. (暴力を伴うストライキは何人かの命を失う結果になった。) こちらの英文を添削して欲しいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英文の添削をお願いします。

1.His teaching was the most recent and complete in China. 「彼の教え」は中国において最も最近に完成したものだ。 2.His teaching that was the most recent and complete in China. 彼の中国における最も最近に完成した教え このようにthat is~の文とthatがないものでは違いがありますか? よろしくお願いします。

• 英文を添削してください

Joseph MaCarthyについてです。 Beginning in 1950, McCarthy became the most visible public face of a period in the United States in which Cold War tensions fueled fears of widespread Communist subversion. He is known for alleging that numerous Communists and Soviet spies and sympathizers had infiltrated the United States federal government, universities, film industry, and elsewhere. Ultimately, the smear tactics he used led him to be censured by the U.S. Senate. The term "McCarthyism", coined in 1950 in reference to McCarthy's practices, was soon applied to similar anti-communist activities. ⇨Beginning in 1950, McCarthy, fueled fears of widespread Communist subversion in Cold War tensions. He was alleging that numerous Communists and Soviet spies and sympathizers had infiltrated the United States federal government and elsewhere. Ultimately, the smear tactics he used led him to be censured by the U.S. Senate. Then, the term "McCarthyism" was became applied to anti-communist activities. 上の文をネットなどから調べてまとめたものです。 長いので、短くまとめてみたのですが、特におかしくないか確認して欲しいです。 そして、もしここの文はなくてもいいんじゃない?とかもっと簡単な表現があるよ、などあればそちらも教えて欲しいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英文添削おねがいします。

自分が今の仕事を選んだ理由を英文で書きました。 添削よろしくお願いします。 I was working as a guide helper when I was a university student. I chose the work related with the person with autisms because of that. I was mental disabilities person's guide helper. However, there were person with autisms in that, too. I had gone out to various places with them on the weekend. But there were a lot of people who have taken a turn in the park during a day. And some people went to the same place every time. When I went out with the person, who lives in group home, She said "I don’t know why I am here, and I want to go home.” And she cried. At that time, I was working as a part-time job. Therefore, I did not neatly know their detailed situations. But I doubted that "Is their life good as today?" in many times. Of course, there were a lot of happiness and goodness, too. However, doubted things very strongly impression in me. So I thought that I want to help the individuals diagnosed with autism to be able to spend the full life happier than now. Therefore, I have chosen the current job that was able to be more deeply related with the person with autism.

• 英文を添削してください

The lavender scareについての文です。 The lavender scare refers to a witch hunt and the mass firings of gay people in the 1950s from the United States government. It paralleled the anti-communist campaign known as McCarthyism and the Second Red Scare. Gay men and lesbians were said to be security risks and communist sympathizers, which led to the call to remove them from state employment. The Lavender Scare was fueled by postwar fears that the U.S. was in a state of moral decline, dominated by a new class of powerful government bureaucrats, and threatened by communism. ⇨The lavender scare refers to a witch hunt and the gay people. It paralleled the anti-communist campaign known as McCarthyism and the Second Red Scare. Gay men and lesbians were said to be security risks and communist sympathizers, which led to the call to remove them from state employment. The Lavender Scare was fueled by postwar fears that the U.S. was threatened by communism. 上の文をまとめたのですが、長かったので⇨以降、またまとめ直しました。 ⇨以降の英文を添削して欲しいです。 もし、ここも省いてもいいよ、もっと簡単な表現があるよ、などあればそちらも教えて欲しいです。 さらに短くなれば、嬉しいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英文(メール)の添削をお願いします。

英文(メール)の添削をお願いします。 ずいぶん前に、英会話の個人レッスンを受けていたアメリカ人の女性が、博士号を取得し大学で 数学の講義をしている旨の情報を得ました。なつかしく想いメールしてみようと思います。 日本人的な英作文ですが、よろしくご指導お願いいたします。 Dear □□, (Dr.□□ □□) My name is △△. In 1998 I was your private student in 地名, where you spent one year as ALT. (I hope you still remember me.) More than a decade has passed since you left Japan in order to return to College and receive a Ph.D. in mathematics. Sometimes, I was wondering how you were doing. Today, I happened to find your information from the web that you’ve become successful to lecture at University. I was really impressed by your accomplishment and I’m so happy. I remember vividly that you were an incredible English teacher (not math to me) and a highly intelligent person, let alone a beautiful woman. From faraway country, I wish you good health and continued success! Yours ever, △△ △△

• 英文日記の添削お願いいたします。

A young couple was chav in appearance asked me to take them to a place in a car during driving in the middle of midnight. I listened to them through the window at first. However eventually opened the window and get them to hailed taxi despited I decided never to open the window and door. I talked a driver and handed them some papers. (cos they said that they had not enough money and it seemed true) They thanked me very much repeatedly. I found I felt regret for both my acts what I gave cold shoulder and what I opened the window when I saw that attitude. Such situations that force with a rang of choices often turn up in life. Wondering if my judgment was decent somewhat. 宜しくお願いいたします。

• 英文について

The FBI reported that the Watergate break-in was part of widespread spying and sabotage designed to help President Nixon win reelection. こちらの文章をあるサイトから引用したのですが… words的なものにこの文章を貼り付けるとwinの下に赤線が引かれていて、確認すると、wonではないか?と提示してくれます。 (スペルチェックなどしてくれる機能です) ここではwonが正しいのでしょうか? ちなみにサイトは日本のサイトではなく、アメリカのサイトです。 どちらが間違っているのでしょうか?