Regrets and Reflections: My Senior Year Struggles

このQ&Aのポイント
  • As I approach graduation and prepare for medical school applications, I can't help but look back on my senior year with a mix of disappointment and reflection.
  • I had always believed that senior year would be the pinnacle of my achievements, but it hasn't turned out that way. Despite my strong work ethic, intelligence, and looks, I find myself regretting the choices I made and the opportunities I missed.
  • One particular disappointment is my involvement in extracurricular activities. Despite dedicating a significant amount of time to one organization, I am no longer on the board, which has left me feeling disheartened and questioning my abilities.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

よろしくお願いします

I’m a senior at a good college about to graduate, planning on applying to medical school. I have a family who loves me and lots of friends. I was blessed with a strong work ethic, intelligence, and looks. But right now, all I see are the things I should have done differently. I always believed that senior year should be the ultimate in bearing the fruits of my labor, like it had been for me in high school. I had envisioned fantastic grades and high leadership in all the extracurriculars I’d join. But I am not on the board anymore in the one organization I dedicated a significant amount of time to. I had envisionedのところはなぜ過去完了形なのでしょうか?あと、ここでのon the boardの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4123/5358)
  • 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • 92128bwsd
  • ベストアンサー率58% (2275/3919)
回答No.2

全般的には、学校の最終学年で、学業以外に参加している活動の中で、高い評価とリーダーシップを発揮していることを思い描いていたけれど、一生懸命頑張ってきた一つの団体で幹部になれなかった事を嘆いているのだと思います。 on the board は、その団体(the one organization) の中の幹部会、役員会に名を連ねていることと思います。 なぜ過去完了かと言うと、I am not on the board anymore のanymoreがヒントで、自分がある時期まで、思い描いていた(had envisioned:過去の時点までの継続)が何処かで夢破れ、そしてもはや(anymore)現在その思い描いていたものは現実ではない。これがenvisionedと過去形でも過去に思い描いていたけれど、現在そうでないと言うことを説明することは可能なのですが、過去完了にすることによって、継続的に”ずっと”思い描いていた事を表していて、だからこそショックが大きいのだと思います。また、anymoreと言う表現も過去完了がその前に使われているからこそと思います。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (2)

• Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9724/12096)
回答No.3

お粗末な回答をしたことを恥じています。No.2さんの回答を見て、なるほどと思い、お任せを決め込んでいましたが、恥の払拭ができるならそうしたいので開いてみると幸いにもまだ閉じられていないので、再投稿することとしました。 >I’m a senior at a good college about to graduate, planning on applying to medical school. I have a family who loves me and lots of friends. I was blessed with a strong work ethic, intelligence, and looks. But right now, all I see are the things I should have done differently. I always believed that senior year should be the ultimate in bearing the fruits of my labor, like it had been for me in high school. I had envisioned fantastic grades and high leadership in all the extracurriculars I’d join. But I am not on the board anymore in the one organization I dedicated a significant amount of time to. ⇒私はある優良大学の4年生です。卒業間近で、医学部に応募するつもりです。私には、私を愛してくれる家族とたくさんの友人があります。私は、強い研究・労働心、知性、ルックスに恵まれました。けれども今しがた私は、これまでしてきたこととは違うことをすべきだった、ということが分かりました。 私は、高校時代がそうであったように、骨を折ればそれは最終学年で実を結ぶはずである、と常に思っていました。私は、参加するすべての課外活動において素晴らしい成績と高い指導力が身につくものと心に描いていたのでした。しかし私は、ある組織団体にかなりの時間を捧げましたが、もはや、その中に私の座る席はありません。 >I had envisionedのところはなぜ過去完了形なのでしょうか? ⇒組織団体に参加したとき(過去)、すでに高成績を「心に描いていた」ことを表わすためで、過去完了形の持つ典型的な意味用法(大過去)ですね*。 >ここでのon the boardの意味を教えてください。 ⇒この場合のboardは、「(列席するための)座席、(活動するための)場や舞台」を表していると思います。ということで、I am not on the board anymoreで、「もはや私の座るべき席はない」とか、「私の活動する場・舞台はない」といったニュアンスだと考えます。 *回答No.2さんの言われるように、「継続」を表すという解釈もあり得るかも知れません。 蛇足ですが、「英語発達史」を紐解いてみました。それによると、have + ppが使われ始めた当初(13世紀頃)は、例えば、I have the fish caught. のように、have + O + ppの形で間接受身(~してもらう)や完了(継続・経験・結果などを含む)の両方を表したそうです。その後16世紀頃までに分離して、have + O + ppで間接受身(~してもらう)を表し、have + pp + Oの形(語順)で完了を表すようになった、とのことです。これで次のことが分かります。 (1) have + ppの完了形は、目的語を取る他動詞から始まって、自動詞に適応されていった。 (2) have + O + ppとhave + pp (+O) の分離は、haveの原義(持つ)を残すか失うかの分かれ目にもなった。 (3) 「haveの原義を失う」と言っても、程度差があって、haveの原義は、継続・経験・結果などでは幾分残っている。 (4) 直前の完了を表す場合や大過去では、haveの原義がほぼ完全に失われて、have + ppは「文法化」している。換言すれば、have + ppのアスペクト的な区分機能が、時制区分の機能に「昇格」して、1つの独立した文法範疇を成すに至った、とも言える。 ということで、I had envisionedを「大過去」と取るか、「継続」と取るかは、「hadの原義がどの程度残っているものと取るか」ということと関連していますが、決め手はなく、多分に主観的な問題であろうと思います。cortaさんが、「この語形の意味について何度も疑問に感じる」のも「うべなるかな」と思う次第です。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

• Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9724/12096)
回答No.1

>I had envisionedのところはなぜ過去完了形なのでしょうか? ⇒履修登録をしたとき(過去)、すでに高成績を「心に描いていた」ことを表わすためで、過去完了形の持つ典型的な意味用法(大過去)ですね。 >ここでのon the boardの意味を教えてください。 ⇒「(例えば、成績上位者の)一覧表に(載らない)」というような意味でしょう。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• こちらの翻訳をして下さる識者の方を募集中です。

こちらの翻訳をして下さる識者の方を募集中です。 よろしくお願いたします。 Wow, neat ! J I have lots more to list but have been busy getting ready to move our 70 year old mom to our home. I still have the original sample boards (card board) with all the different types of brass findings glued on them, and the Company who made them for askell. Years ago, I had a bunch that were signed askell and Not sure if any of the findings that are glued on the backs are signed but probably not. Anyway, keep in touch I will get your package mailed out on Monday morning and will send tracking

• 多いですがよろしくお願いします

I had some reservations about us living together right away, but then we had no choice because he didn’t have money to get his own place. So right away it was tense. He had been living in a sort of frat-house situation before, never cooking or cleaning or having “adult” responsibilities beyond his job. I was hard on him about all this stuff and in retrospect should have been nicer, but I felt like it was an emergency. In the meantime, I did a lot of the heavy lifting financially and domestically and felt a little taken advantage of and used. But within a year or so, he had found his footing, learned to clean and cook, started paying his bills on time, and even built up a little buffer in his savings account. 1 So right away it was tense.の訳をよろしくお願いします 2 frat-house situationの意味を教えてください。 3 he had found his footingの意味と、なぜ過去完了なのか教えてください 4 ここでのbufferの意味を教えてください。 以上、よろしくお願いします

• この文章を日本語に訳してください。

この文章を日本語に訳してください。 yes , I do have the superior spiderman variants coming in , I have the 3 1:50 variants and the 1:100 variants..I had 5 1:100 variants in my store , but someone bought all 5 right away just yesterday.I had up at $105 ea. I may have a few more , but i like to wait till I have in hand before selling every copy..But i do have the 3 1:50 variants... and can do better priceing on a package deal... one thing on these high end variants...Shipping International, I ship registered mail.. so exact cost is $16.95 priority + $11.55 Registered mail = $28.50 shipping , but this is covered 100% to you...so email me around the 9th as thats when they hit and Ill set aside a 1:100...I may have a 1:150 extra , I did buy a few sets extra , but before I comment , have to see what I have in hand..Thanks..dan とても長い文ですが、よろしくお願いいたします。

• シャーリーンの愛はかげろうのように

Oh, I've been to Georgia and California and anywhere I could run I took the hand of a preacher man and we made love in the sun But I ran out of places and friendly faces because I had to be free I've been to paradise but I've never been to me 最後のI've never been to me がわかりません。 ご教授お願いします。

• 和訳お願いいたします

There is a slight change in my plans ... but it's good ... I don't need to work on the 10th of January. So I will arrive from Osaka on Friday the 7th of January and will go back to Osaka on Tuesday morning on the 11th of January. For this weekend I'm wondering which hotel I should book. Which one do you think is better? 〇or〇. I think the hotel in Shinagawa is nicer ... but maybe you want to have a different location. What do you think? For me it's the same.

• 以下の英文について教えてください

The mournful truth that a man — every man-must die alone, had been thrust sharply into my mind and kept there by the frequent violent attacks of my malady I suffered at that time, every one of which threatened to be the last. (中略) Then my mother died. Her perfect health failed her suddenly, and her decline was not long. But she suffered much, and on the last occasion of my being with her at her bedside she told me that she was very tired and had no fear of death, and would be glad to go but for the thought of leaving me in such a precarious state of health and with a mind distressed. Even then she put no questions to me, but only expressed the hope that her prayers for me would be answered and that at the last we should be together again. I cannot say, as I might say in the case of any other relation or friend, that I had lost her. (中略) It came to me as a great surprise a few years ago to have my secret and most cherished feelings about my own mother expressed to me as I had never heard them expressed before by a friend who, albeit still young, has made himself a name in the world, one who had never known a mother, she having died during his infancy. <最後のIt came to me~の英文について>: It came to me as a great surprise a few years ago~のasは「~として」ですか? as I had never heard them expressed ~のasは「~のように」ですか? (themはmy secret and most cherished feelings ?) my own mother expressed to me as I had never heard them expressed before by a friend のところの意味がよくわからないのですが、 expressedの取り方は、 my own mother expressed to me私自身の母親が私に表現した、 I had never heard them expressed私はそれらが表現されるのを決して聞いたことがない、 ですか? she having died during his infancyここは独立分詞構文で、「彼女は彼の幼年時代に亡くなってしまったので」? ----Far Away and Long Ago :W.H.Hudson

• よろしくお願いします

My boyfriend is wonderful and kind and a great listener and very engaging with me, but actively is bored by all of my friends. He’s been willing to accompany me on various trips/meals with friends, but usually ignores people and tells me how bored he was afterwards. It means a lot to me to have him involved in various parts of my life. I don’t ask it of him often (I know he’s very introverted), but having him come just to be a downer is maybe worse than just not having him along. All my friends want to meet him and to become friends with the person who has made me tremendously happy for the last couple years, but on the off chance we do all get together, he basically just looks at his hands! Is there some way I can get him to interact in a nontaxing way? 1 ここでのengagingは「愛嬌のある」でしょうか? 2 having him come just to be a downer is maybe worse than just not having him along.の和訳を教えてください。 3 nontaxingはどのような意味でしょうか? 以上、よろしくお願いします

• 英語が得意な方へ

アメリカの質問掲示板で質問した際の、返事がよく理解できませんでした。どなたか、分かりやすく訳、または要約をしてくれませんか? 質問 I'm Japanese student studying English This time, I want to ask about subjunctive mood.If you had behaved such a way in the party, my parents would have said that ( ). In ( ), I want to insert ' I had to go home.' , but is it okay to insert this sentence? 'If I had behaved such a way in the party, my parents would have said that I had to go home.' Is this sentence correct? I can't understand the tense, therefore please tell me about how to change the tense. I'm japanese student studying English, so I couldn't write sentences well. 答え You are quite correct. The subjunctive mood is used to describe hypothetical cases, regardless of the facts of the matter. They set the scene, so to speak, and what would happen as a consequence should be delivered in the appropriate tense (which has nothing to do with mood). Thus: "They would have said I had to go home." "They would have said you were acting foolishly." "They would have said 'You are a fool,' and turned away from you." In the last example, the quote would have been delivered in the present of the hypothetical time, and should be rendered that way.

• よろしくお願いします

DEAR ABBY: I have a dilemma, and I need to know who's right. My boyfriend of 2 1/2 years wants me to move into his apartment, but he says I can't live there for free. He wants me to pay half the rent, cable, water and electric bills. I'm OK with the cable, water and electric. But I say the rent is the same whether I'm there or not, and I don't think I should have to pay rent on HIS place. It would be different if we were married. What do you think? Who's right? -- MAYBE MOVING IN DEAR MAYBE: You are an independent young woman living in the 21st century, and as such, you should carry your share. on HIS placeのonはどのような意味(役割)でしょうか?あと、ここでのas suchはどのように訳したら良いでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 大至急、翻訳をお願い致します!

What Biden should have said to Harrris: “Civil Rights is hard - we’ve been working on it for years. Yes we didn’t get it right yet but to the best of my ability I’ve been fighting for civil rights my whole career. I’m not perfect, I’ve not always held the best positions - especially in hindsight - but that was the past. Now I’m dedicated to moving forward to build a more free and equal America.”Blah blah blah. That’s what he should of said but instead he went on the defensive and just kind of looked like a shouty old white man. I’m not for or against Biden but I think he missed a real opportunity to show a bit of humility and soften his public face but instead he went all “get off my lawn” and looked rattled and a bit scared.