• ベストアンサー
  • 困ってます

多いですがよろしくお願いします

I had some reservations about us living together right away, but then we had no choice because he didn’t have money to get his own place. So right away it was tense. He had been living in a sort of frat-house situation before, never cooking or cleaning or having “adult” responsibilities beyond his job. I was hard on him about all this stuff and in retrospect should have been nicer, but I felt like it was an emergency. In the meantime, I did a lot of the heavy lifting financially and domestically and felt a little taken advantage of and used. But within a year or so, he had found his footing, learned to clean and cook, started paying his bills on time, and even built up a little buffer in his savings account. 1 So right away it was tense.の訳をよろしくお願いします 2 frat-house situationの意味を教えてください。 3 he had found his footingの意味と、なぜ過去完了なのか教えてください 4 ここでのbufferの意味を教えてください。 以上、よろしくお願いします

共感・応援の気持ちを伝えよう!

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • 閲覧数80
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • 回答No.1
  • cbm51901
  • ベストアンサー率67% (2671/3941)

1.「従って(同棲生活の)初っ端から気が張り詰めていた」 2. 大学で同じ趣向(家柄等)を持った者たちが、建物を借りて大勢でワイワイ  一緒に過ごす、ゆるいシェアハウスに居るような状態。  frat-house とは fraternity house のことです。  http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=fraternity 3.「彼は自分の足場をしっかり築いた」  過去完了の理由:掃除や炊事、請求書の支払い、貯金の積み立ては過去形に  なっています。足場を築いたのはそうした過去の行動に至る、更に以前の出来  事、すなわち「過去の過去」に確立した事だからではないしょうか。 4. 余裕/余剰(資金)

共感・感謝の気持ちを伝えよう!

質問者からのお礼

良くわかりました。ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• 英文の翻訳

和訳をしていただけるかたのみで、 お願いできますでしょうか? 1つの段落の前半部分となります。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 His father was a man who was Tall, and moderately fat with large eyes and black hair and a long banana or crescent moon shaped face. A proud looking man. He had trouble with one of his knees and his leg was a bit weak or crooked. He had a hospitable and generous nature. He tried to mould the minds of his children into the right direction in life. Married late in life to a woman of superior position and his past was not so good. He could be melancholic and liked to study or read in the silence of his own chamber with a lamp, which his children were not welcome to disrupt. He was stricter and sharp with the children when they were small. but, gentler when they were older and behaved better. He could be merry, eat drink and have fun and include the children. He felt happy amongst his family and children. He was intuitive and had a spiritual side.

• この文の構造を教えてください

阪大の入試問題です。 まず以下のような前置きがありまして… Home is where heart is. But at the same time, home is so sad. Bland's attitude towards his flat was the somewhat shifting point at which these two attitudes met. When he was away from it he thought of it longingly, as the place which would always provide him with a refuge from the world. ここから下線部が引かれています。 When he was actually inside it, safe and warm and quiet, as he had always wished to be, it irritated him, precisely on account of those same qualities for which he had felt such intense nostalgia. 下線部を和訳せよという問題なのですが、意味はなんとなくわかるのですが、構造がよくわかりません。 特にsafe and warm and quietというくだりです。 どうかご教授下さい。よろしくお願いします。

• 翻訳をお願い致します。

So that's the gist of it. That's also the reason why the “firing” happened right as Weiland left on tour for this run. So when Slash said he “heard Weiland was fired”, that threat had been made if he went through with this tour. The band put the ball in Scott's court and he said whatever I'm doing it. I don't think Scott was fired when Slash said he was, but the threat had definitely been made, and Scott decided to call the Deleo's bluff. Well, now he's fired and it's up to their lawyers to sort through the mess.

• never in his life had he felt less sleepy

タイトルにした英文は下記の文章の中の一節です。 No sooner had he blown out the candle and set it on the floor at his side than he settled himself comfortably in the armchair,leaned back and closed his eyes, hoping and expecting to sleep. In this he was disappointed; never in his life had he felt less sleepy,and in a few minutes he gave up the attempt. タイトルにした「 never in his life had he felt less sleepy」の部分がよく分かりません。要するに、「この時が一番眠くなかった」んですか?他の部分は頭がこんがらがることもなく理解できるんですが、形容詞のless という語が使われると「眠いのか眠くないのか一体どっちなんだい?」と頭がこんがらがります。倒置には別にこんがらがりません。前後の文章から類推は出来るのですが、この文章そのものをサッと理解出来るいい方法はないものでしょうか? more+形容詞は理解しやすいですが、less+形容詞の表現が日本語にはないから理解しにくいのでしょうね。何かサッと理解できるようになる妙案はないでしょうか? 宜しくお願い致します。

• 長文ですがどなたか翻訳をお願いします。

翻訳できる方がいらっしゃいましたらよろしくお願いします。 The school he went to was dictatorial and wealthy. It was an elaborate artistic building. Possibly one that was founded by a Princess or named after a Princess and bore her image, or arms, or monument and dedication in the building. It was not a school that will appear in the annals of history though, or ever be famous, nothing special. But it was well thought of in the local community and a school to aspire towards there. So I suppose you could say he had a good schooling in that respect. A school that may have had a traditional outlook. In his schooldays he gained physical health and strength. Though his in his early years he was not so strong. As a pupil he has a good memory, but was introspective, and held himself back not always doing the best he could have done in his lessons. His family would have helped him as much as they could at school, and to get a good education. but he may later have forgotten the help he owes to them. He would have had musical or singing ability; good at history, gambling. politics, figures and sports. Town planning and technical drawing. Once he adapted to the school he got well with the other children and way of life. At school he was an achiever, who adapted to change, and began to find a little of his adult charisma and ability to succeed, so was bound eventually to get on at whatever he chose to do. He also became proficient there in making excuses and telling lies to extricate himself from difficult or punishing situations.

• the land, land he had it

the land, land he had it in his mind belonged to his family by right の構造が分からないので解説お願いします。 関係代名詞ならland he had in his mindじゃないですか?

• 携帯にいきなり英語のメールが来た

誰か分かる方いますかI left them, answered Ariel, searching for Ferdinand, whom theyby their = parents with the terrors of it.presently opening his eyes, and seeing his = dear Hermia, recovered his and silly amusements of those around them.cousin said Beatrice O that I = were a man! Hear me, Beatrice!with fatigue and hopeless of any relief, a = countryman chanced to pass Rosalind carved on the trees, and lovesonnets fastened to them, all situation he was found by Silvia, and in this manner it came to = pass.Gratiano then said that he loved the lady Portia's fair waitinggave = his ring away to the counsellor, and then the boy, his clerk,roots in = characters, and sauced their broth, as if Juno had been sick, yet it counts nothing base or unworthy so as it can but do = serviceshelter, and with his talk about devils frighted the fool, one = ofher worthy father. While she was speaking, Helena wept in sad and constantly losing the effect which is caused by the first sight either constantly losing the effect which is caused by the first sight = eithertake the dish away. Extreme hunger, which had abated the pride = ofdisposition of Petruchio's wife, and these fond bridegrooms seemedat = sunset he was doomed to die, if he could not pay the money. her noviciate in the convent, and it was her intent after = passingreasoning, for he denied that it was possible for any ?

• 長文ですが和訳をお願いします

Andrew Blackman had been a keen rugby player ever since he was a schoolboy. Of course he had received plenty of injuries over the year, but eveyone knew it was a tough sport. You might even say a little pain was all part of the fun. The fun ended one day in autumn when he was carried away from the field unconscious. It had been a particularly hard match. Ron Sullivan,a forward on the other team, had been tacking very aggressively and pushing too early in the scrums. At times the referee,Mr Simmonds,had great difficulty in controlling the play. Suddenly ten players had collapsed on top of Andrew during a scrum and the next thing he renembered was when he was in hospital unable to feel his legs. Eventually doctors broke the news to him: his lower body was permannently paralysed. He would never walk again,let alone play rugby. Even worse,he would have to give up his job. When he recovered from the shock Andrew decided to do something about his situation. To be sure rugby was a violent game,but he left there was no excuse for an injury such as his. In his opinion both Sullivan and Simmonds had behaved irresponsibly and he decided to sue them for negligence. Many of his fellow players were surprised by his decision. Of course they felt very sorry for Andrew. No one could doubt that he had been unlucky. But if you play a violent sport you have to accept risks. No one could be blamed for his unfortunate accident. Surely the court would not penalise Sullivan or Simmonds.

• どなたか、翻訳、お願いします。

どなたか、翻訳、お願いします。 ※翻訳サイトを使わない翻訳を、お願いします。 It was summer of the year 1883.A poor peasant was on his way to a big city to look for work.His clothes were ragged and his shoes worn out,he had an empty stomach and no money,but he was whistling cheerfully to himself.A kind hearted driver had brough him several nundred miles in his automobile and he had only ahother fifty miles or so to go. Having not eaten for several weeks,he was a little hungry.He had an old,dry piece of bread in his pocket which he had scrounged from a hardware store he would soon pass,and he was saving it for the right moment.Now that moment had come. Just beside the road,there was a hamburger store.The delicious smell of beef,onions and lettuce wafted through the closed window to where the poor man was standing.He sat sat down on a toadstool and began to eat his sandwich. When he had finished eating,he stood up and began to walk away.The owner of the hamburger store came running out,shouting "Hey!You haven't paid for your hamberger."The poor man answered with indignation "What humburger?I don't eat any hamburgers."The store owner replied "No but you smelled them while you were eating,that's nearly the same thing.Pay up or I'll call the cops." The poor man didn't want any trouble,so he said"OK,I admit I did smell one.How much are they?""85 cents,"replied the store owner.The poor man took out a dollar bill and shook it loudly."Did you hear that?"he asked."That was a dollar bill.Now where's my change?"

• どなたか、翻訳、お願いします。助けてください。

どなたか、翻訳、お願いします。助けてください。 ※最後まで、翻訳できる方、お願いします。 It was summer of the year 1883.A poor peasant was on his way to a big city to look for work.His clothes were ragged and his shoes worn out,he had an empty stomach and no money,but he was whistling cheerfully to himself.A kind hearted driver had brough him several nundred miles in his automobile and he had only ahother fifty miles or so to go. Having not eaten for several weeks,he was a little hungry.He had an old,dry piece of bread in his pocket which he had scrounged from a hardware store he would soon pass,and he was saving it for the right moment.Now that moment had come. Just beside the road,there was a hamburger store.The delicious smell of beef,onions and lettuce wafted through the closed window to where the poor man was standing.He sat sat down on a toadstool and began to eat his sandwich. When he had finished eating,he stood up and began to walk away.The owner of the hamburger store came running out,shouting "Hey!You haven't paid for your hamberger."The poor man answered with indignation "What humburger?I don't eat any hamburgers."The store owner replied "No but you smelled them while you were eating,that's nearly the same thing.Pay up or I'll call the cops." The poor man didn't want any trouble,so he said"OK,I admit I did smell one.How much are they?""85 cents,"replied the store owner.The poor man took out a dollar bill and shook it loudly."Did you hear that?"he asked."That was a dollar bill.Now where's my change?"