• ベストアンサー
※ ChatGPTを利用し、要約された質問です(原文:わからない個所を教えてください。)

Unanswered Questions and Familiar Sensations - The Dandelion Clock

このQ&Aのポイント
  • In this section of the novel, the protagonist, Alex, reflects on the unanswered questions and the peculiar sensations he is experiencing.
  • While enjoying his meal on the verandah, Alex contemplates the questions posed by Julia Connell and wonders why she chose those specific ones.
  • Alex recalls a familiar sensation of his mind drifting and fights against it, reminiscent of an experience from his distant past.

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9713/12080)
回答No.1

以下のとおりお答えします。 >I pile torn pieces of bread high with cheese and salamiのhighは、高く、という副詞ですか? ⇒はい、そのとおりだと思います。 「私は、チーズやサラミと一緒に千切ったパンのかけらを高く積み上げます。」 This drone doesn't fly so high.「このドローンはそれほど高く飛ばない。」 のような例と同じですね。 >the questions Julia Connell wants answered.の個所ですが、Julia Connellが欲しがっている質問には答えた、ということですか?読み方としては、the questions (that Julia Connell wants )answeredになるのでしょうか?質問は答えた?(答えを出したのは自分=Alexだと思うのですが、なぜthe questionが主語になっているのかがわかりません)answerの訳し方が違うのでしょうか? ⇒次のように、to beを補って考えれば分かりやすいと思います。 the questions (that Julia Connell wants to be) answered =「Julia Connellが、答えて欲しいと思っている質問」。

aduagrean
質問者

お礼

回答してくださってありがとうございます! the questions Julia Connell wants answered.のところはthe questions (that Julia Connell wants to be) answeredというように読むのですね。全然考えつきませんでした。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• わからない個所を教えてください。

‘And don’t forget to think over those ideas Julia came up with. They’ve got to go to press by the fourteenth at the latest, and she’ll need some time before that to put it all together.’ ‘I will. I’ll call you, Max.’ ‘Bye, Alex,’ he says, still sounding amused, and the line goes dead.(前回の終わりの部分です) The valley is warm on the walk back from town, smelling of sage and greenery. The last of the puddles on the road are turning to dust now, though the leaves of the roadside asphodel and myrtle still have their newly washed crispness. Going over the conversation in my mind, I can’t help feeling I haven’t said what I meant to, that I have been somehow sidetracked. I seem to have bought myself time here, and I don’t know quite why I should have wanted to do that. But it’s done now. Perhaps I can call him later in the week; perhaps things will be clearer by then. ****************************************** 「The Dandelion clock」からの英文です。 以下は物語のさわりです。 Alex is an artist, preparing for a major exhibition. An impulsive trip back to the Italy of his childhood forces him to explore the unresolved questions of his past where, in those seemingly innocent days, he swam and played and explored the wild countryside with Jamie and Anna. ****************************************** The last of the puddles on the road are turning to dust now, though the leaves of the roadside asphodel and myrtle still have their newly washed crispness. の中でわからない表現があるのですが、 The last of the puddles=水溜りの終わり? the last=最上の?? their newly washed crispness.=洗い立てのパリっとしていること? どんな意味、感じなのでしょうか? Going over the conversation in my mind, I can’t help feeling I haven’t said what I meant to, that I have been somehow sidetracked. がよくまとまらないのですが、 Going over the conversation in my mind=私の心の中で会話を(再)点検しながら? I can’t help feeling I haven’t said what I meant to=私は私が意味したことを言わなかったと感じずにはいられません。? that I have been somehow sidetracked=私がどうにかわきにそらされたということ? that I have been~のthatはI haven't said that I have been~とつながるのでしょうか? I seem to have bought myself time here,時間を買う?というのはどういうことですか? I don’t know quite why I should have wanted to do that.ここのI should have wanted to do thatは、私はそれをしたいと思ったのにそれをしなかった、という意味ですか? thatは時間を買うことですか? But it’s done now.のitも時間を買うことですか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

I am supposed to be concentrating on the paintings, not on fixing window panes. They’re still in the suitcase; I haven’t even got them out yet. I have spent a whole evening and most of this morning doing – what? Doing something I haven’t been able to do since I was twelve. (前回の終わりの部分です) I want to shake my head, clear it of these distractions so I can focus on the things that are supposed to be important. But it’s more difficult than I have thought. How can I concentrate on the pictures when, all around me, small signs of change and neglect are needling in at me, whispering their presence? It will be impossible. Perhaps I could mend some things, fix some things; get the house a little way back to how it should be. It wouldn’t take too much effort. Just some very basic repairs would perhaps be enough to give me the peace of mind to concentrate properly. I can make a start with the window. I have to start somewhere, after all. I tell myself that I will think about the exhibition, and the paintings, while I work; and this sounds so convincing to me that I almost start to believe it. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。(今まで幼いころの回想シーンが続いていましたが、この英文は現在に戻っていると思われます) Perhaps I could mend some things, fix some things; get the house a little way back to how it should be. の、get the house a little way back to how it should beのところが訳せません。I could get the house~という英文なのでしょうか?家がどうあるべきかに戻すちょっとした方法を得ることができるだろう?? and this sounds so convincing to me that I almost start to believe it.は、so~that構文で読めば良いでしょうか?「これはとても私にとって説得力のあるように思われたので、私はほとんどそれを信じることを始めた。」 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。その2

(その1からの続きです) Then he says, ‘Oh, listen, Alex. There's something I meant to say to you before you left. You know Julia Connell?' ‘Of course,' I say. ‘She's got this idea for the catalogue; a kind of overview of your work in conversation with the artist. She wants to meet up and talk to you about some of the paintings –hang on –I have it right here—' ‘Max?' I say. ‘Max, can you hear me?' There's a moment's pause, and then, ‘Yes,' he says. ‘Have you got a bad line?' ‘I don't know,' I say. ‘You just sound –very distant.' ‘Oh. I'll try to speak up. Yes –it says here that she wants to cover themes in your work, and she's listed a few. She wanted me to ask you if you can think these over and come up with some ideas –you know, why they feature, what significance they have for you, symbolism, all that. Then she'll talk to you and turn it all into some kind of stream-of-consciousness thing. I think –yes, she says she wants to run it along the bottom third of some of the catalogue pages, with the pictures and the notes on them above. Can you visualize that? Alex?' ****************************************** ‘She's got this idea for the catalogue; a kind of overview of your work in conversation with the artist. She wants to meet up and talk to you about some of the paintings –hang on –I have it right here—' ここでthis idea=a kind of overview of your work in conversation with the artist.ですか? I have it right here—のitは何を指しているのでしょうか? rightは「ちょうど」、という意味ですか? Then she'll talk to you and turn it all into some kind of stream-of-consciousness thing. I think –yes, she says she wants to run it along the bottom third of some of the catalogue pages, with the pictures and the notes on them above. の中にある turn itと run itのitはthis ideaですか? along the bottom third of some of the catalogue pagesの中のthirdは三番目という意味でしょうか?カタログページのいくつかの三番目の底に沿って?ですか?意味がとれないのですが。。 三分の一という意味ですか? 最後のwith the pictures and the notes on them aboveのon themはthe catalogue pagesにという意味だと思うのですが、最後にaboveがついているのがわかりません。 細かくなってしまいましたが、教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

We stare at our glasses until they are warm in the sun, and not so nice to drink, but we can’t find out the answer; in the end, the little beads of liquid vanish as mysteriously as they arrive.(前回の終わりの部分です) He wants to know why the rock in the sides of the valley is arranged in layers like a stack of sandwiches, even where the farmers haven’t cut terraces. Lena has told me about terraces – that they are to hold the rain for the olive trees – and shows me how water runs down the sloping street next to the church but gathers in puddles on the church steps, an idea I grasp quickly. But she has never told me about the hidden sandwiching of the rocks, and when I ask her, she only shrugs and says that is just the way they’re made. Jamie wants to know everything about Altesa. He quizzes me on everything he notices or can think of: about things, and places and people. I tell him all about me, and what I like and don’t like. I tell him about my family – things which I don’t really know myself but have in turn been told – like when we used to live in a different place. London. My parents still talk about it sometimes. He makes me tell him about the people – the figures he’s seen around town, the other children, our neighbours. I pour out all of Lena’s patchwork history of the town while he sits, attentive, soaking it up again. And I tell him the things Lena doesn’t know, or doesn’t like to mention: like Lucia being a witch. Like Signor Ferucci. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は幼い頃の回想シーンです。 He wants to know why the rock in the sides of the valley is arranged in layers like a stack of sandwiches,~のlike a stack of sandwichesの個所がいまいちイメージできません。どんな感じなのでしょうか? Lena has told me about terraces – that they are to hold the rain for the olive trees – and shows me how water runs down the sloping street next to the church but gathers in puddles on the church steps, an idea I grasp quickly. の最後にan idea I grasp quickly(私が素早く掴んだ考え)とありますが、これはどういうことを言っているのでしょうか?英文の最後にこの言葉がついているのがわかりません。 I tell him about my family – things which I don’t really know myself but have in turn been toldの中のin turnとは”順番に”という意味ですか?順番に話されたもの? I pour out all of Lena’s patchwork history of the town while he sits, attentive, soaking it up again.の中にあるLena’s patchwork history of the townとは、Lenaのパッチワークの町の歴史、ですか?どういう意味でしょうか? 最後のAnd I tell him the things Lena doesn’t know, or doesn’t like to mention: like Lucia being a witch. Like Signor Ferucci. は、Lenaが 魔女であるLuciaの事やSignor Ferucciの事は知らないか、話したくない、ということですか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

At last we quieten down. Occasionally we look sideways at each other and giggles overwhelm us again; but in the end we are too tired to laugh any more. We sit side by side with big, idiot grins on our faces. (前回の終わりの部分です) Jamie rubs his eyes with his sleeve and says, ‘You’re mad, you know? You’re mad. Mad Alex.’ In the laughter, the realization of English has left us as suddenly as it arrived, and Jamie’s words are in comfortable Italian once more. ‘I’m not,’ I say. ‘You’re mad.’ ‘I’m not as mad as you, though,’ he says. ‘You are.’ ‘Mad Alex.’ He grins at me. ‘If you show me your lizards I’ll show you my comics. They’re brilliant. Is it a deal?’ ‘Yes,’ I say at once. He sticks his hand out, and I shake it. His hand around mine is strong and warm, like a stone in the sun. When we go to look for the lizards, though, there are none to be found. Our laughing has scared them all away. Jamie is my first friend; I have never had a real friend before. For Jamie, everything is a question waiting to be asked. He wants to know why the lizards we watch blink in the sun, but snakes never do. We try not to blink until our eyes are hot and dry and gritty with the effort, but we can’t manage it forever, like the snakes. He wants to know why, when we have lemonade, the outside of the cold glasses becomes wet – how does the water get from inside the glass to the outside without our seeing? If water can get through the glass, why doesn’t the glass empty? We stare at our glasses until they are warm in the sun, and not so nice to drink, but we can’t find out the answer; in the end, the little beads of liquid vanish as mysteriously as they arrive. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は回想シーンで幼なじみのJamieと話しているところです。 ‘You’re mad, you know? You’re mad. Mad Alex.’ の中のmadのニュアンスは、馬鹿げた、というような意味でしょうか? For Jamie, everything is a question waiting to be asked.とありますが、Jamieにとってすべては尋ねられることを待っている質問です?というのはどういう意味ですか? He wants to know why, when we have lemonade, the outside of the cold glasses becomes wet – how does the water get from inside the glass to the outside without our seeing?のhow does the water get from inside the glass to the outside without our seeing?の部分がわかりません。どうやって、私たちが見ることなく、グラスの内側から外側に水は得られるのですか??水というのは水滴ですか?without our seeingの部分が?です。 教えてください。お願いします。

• 添削してください

日本語 「宗教は以下のようなことを考えていた。なぜ世界は存在するのか? どうやってできたのか? なぜ人間はこんなにも苦しむのか? どうすればこの苦しみから逃れられるのか?。これらの問いに、宗教は「神話」の形で答えた。」 英語 Religion had been thinking these things: why the world exist?, how compose it?, why people suffer?, and how run away from the pain? Religion answered to use myths these questions. この文章を添削して欲しいのです。 また、単に疑問なのですがthese things: 以降ですが、このような形で?を混ぜて使うことは可能でしょうか? あまり目にしないなーと思ったのですが…。 よろしくお願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

‘Can’t you read at all?’ he asks. He sounds shocked, but I know he won’t laugh at me or be unkind; he is just amazed that I can live without this essential ability. In a flash of understanding, I look around me at the room and see why he might think this. ‘My dad's teaching me,' I say. ‘Oh,' he says. For a moment he seems at a loss. Then he says, ‘I suppose what you do – you know, the going places in your head – that's like reading stories, isn't it?' (前回の終わりの部分です) I know what he means. This is the second time he’s called it something like that: going places in your head. Again, I can feel heavy structures grating and moving laboriously in me, as I try to fit the words into place. Very, very tentatively, I begin to see that the difference between going somewhere and going somewhere in your head might be what Jamie has been struggling with. In your head is the key. And I know in that moment that Jamie has already understood me better than my parents and everyone else ever have. I meet his eyes with a surge of gratitude pushing up inside me. I want to say something, but I can’t imagine what. (going places in your head.の部分は斜体になっています) ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は幼い頃の回想シーンです。 Again, I can feel heavy structures grating and moving laboriously in me, as I try to fit the words into place.の、 grating and moving は現在分詞で、軋んで動きながら、ですか?全体的に意味が良く取れません。 Very, very tentatively, I begin to see that the difference between going somewhere and going somewhere in your head might be what Jamie has been struggling with.の、what Jamie has been struggling withの部分の訳は、Jamieが取り組んで来たこと、ですか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

I can make a start with the window. I have to start somewhere, after all. I tell myself that I will think about the exhibition, and the paintings, while I work; and this sounds so convincing to me that I almost start to believe it. (前回の終わりの部分です) Chapter Three I do get to the paintings eventually. In the afternoon, I buy what I need to mend the broken pane, and more besides; heavy bags of tools and materials for which I am bound to find a hundred uses. I buy house paint, too: emulsion for the walls, to get them back the way they were – the way they should be. I set out all I have bought on the sitting-room floor, and go to work to fix the window. All through the afternoon, in the easy rhythm of working with my hands, the past comes, floating up around me and threatening to engulf me; and I fight it back, trying to stay in the here and now, trying to gain control. Sometimes – most of the time – I manage it. I can’t understand why this is happening to me now; and why so strongly, so – insistently. Jamie and Anna. I tell myself that it must be inevitable that being back here again would stir up memories of them. It’s natural; this was their place, of course, as well as mine. It’s no surprise that they’re here in my thoughts so much. But it has been so long since I’ve thought of them, and these aren’t just memories – these are fragments of reality, snatched from the past and creeping up around me in the present. It’s something I’ve learnt to live without all my adult life, and now it’s here, it’s back, and I can’t even control it. I might have expected to think of Jamie and Anna once or twice while I was here – but not this, not this. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。Jamie and AnnaはAlexの幼なじみです。 It’s something I’ve learnt to live without all my adult life, and now it’s here, it’s back, and I can’t even control it.という英文が最後の方に出てくるのですが、itが何を指しているのかよくわかりません。 it’s hereそれはここにあり、it’s backそれは戻り、I can’t even control it.私はそれを支配することさえできない。。。Jamie and Annaとの思い出みたいな感じでしょうか? I might have expected to think of Jamie and Anna once or twice while I was here – but not this, not this.のbut not this, not thisというのは、どういうことを言っているのでしょうか?これではない、これでは。。?? 質問の英文が長くなってしまいましたが、教えてください。お願いします。

• よろしくお願いします

DEAR ABBY: I am having issues with a friend who gets handed most everything he wants. I had to grow up when I was very young, pay my own way for things and take care of myself. gets handed most everything he wantsとpay my own way for thingsの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• わからない個所を教えてください。

‘Oh. I'll try to speak up. Yes –it says here that she wants to cover themes in your work, and she's listed a few. She wanted me to ask you if you can think these over and come up with some ideas –you know, why they feature, what significance they have for you, symbolism, all that. Then she'll talk to you and turn it all into some kind of stream-of-consciousness thing. I think –yes, she says she wants to run it along the bottom third of some of the catalogue pages, with the pictures and the notes on them above. Can you visualize that? Alex?' (↑前回の終わりの部分です) ‘Yes,’ I say. ‘It sounds fine.’ ‘OK. There are a few things on this list, but the main ones – do you have a pen?’ ‘I’ll remember,’ I say. ‘All right. First – intersections of form and surface. That’s a principal element, apparently. She also writes: transgressions of boundaries; crossing edges; intrusions of one form into another. Is this making sense to you?’ ‘Yes,’ I say, slowly. ‘Yes, I know what she means.’ ‘Thank God for that. Then we’ve got group-of-three motifs: groupings of forms in arrangements of three; similar forms repeated three times, ungrouped but within the same work; trilaterally symmetrical forms or forms divided into three.’ He pauses. ‘Are you sure you can remember all this?’ ‘You have to concentrate, Alex,’ my father is saying. ‘How can you remember things if you don’t concentrate?’ ‘I try,’ I say. ‘Well, try trying a bit harder.’ ****************************************** 「The Dandelion clock」からの英文です。 :主人公のAlexと知人と思われるMaxが電話で話している場面です。 transgressions of boundaries; crossing edges; intrusions of one form into another.ここはどういう感じのことを言っているのでしょうか? similar forms repeated three times, ungrouped but within the same work; trilaterally symmetrical forms or forms divided into threeの部分もよくわかりません。 Well, try trying a bit harder.とありますが、try a bit harderというのとどういう違いがあるのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

起動してる時だけ充電できない
このQ&Aのポイント
  • HM750/paを使用しているのですが、起動している時だけ充電が行われず、シャットダウンもしくスリープをすると充電が開始します。
  • 改善策を調べても見つかりません。助けてください。
  • NEC 121wareのパソコン本体に関する質問です。
回答を見る