Welcomeの語源とは? 古代英語の意味や由来を解説

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 古代英語の言葉「wilcuma」は、「ようこそ!」という親切なあいさつの表現であり、英語の「welcome」という単語の語源となっています。
  • 「wilcuma」は、「他人の意志や希望に合わせて来る人」という意味であり、wil (願い・意志・選択) + cuma (来る人) から派生しています。
  • 「welcome」の形容詞としての意味も、古代英語の「wilcuma」からきています。また、1907年からは「You're welcome」という返答としても使われるようになりました。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

どのように書き換えたらいいのでしょうか。

どのように書き換えたらいいのでしょうか。 Welcomeの語源を書かないといけないのですが『Old English wilcuma "welcome!" exclamation of kindly greeting, from earlier wilcuma (n.) "welcome guest," literally "one whose coming suits another's will or wish," from willa "pleasure, desire, choice" (see will (n.)) + cuma "guest," related to cuman (see come). Similar formation in Old High German willicomo, Middle Dutch wellecome. Meaning "entertainment or public reception as a greeting" is recorded from 1530. The adjective is from Old English wilcuma. You're welcome as a formulaic response to thank you is attested from 1907. Welcome mat is from 1908; welcome wagon is attested from 1940.』これをどのように書き換え説明すれば良いのでしょうか、よろしくお願い致します。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9717/12085)
回答No.2

興味を持ちましたので、私も考えてみました。(箇条書き風にしてみます。) (1)It is said that the origin of the word "welcome" is Old English "wilcuma": "wel-" (pleasure, desire) + "cuma" (guest), which means "welcome guest", literally "one whose coming suits another's will or wish". ("welcome"の語源は~で、その意味は~で、文字通りには~、と言われる。) (2)Old High German "willicomo" and Middle Dutch "wellecome" are also of the similar formation to this Old English "wilcuma". (古代高地ドイツ語の~や中期オランダ語の~も古代英語の~と同じ語形成のものである。) (3)"You're welcome." as a formulaic response to "Thank you." is used from early 20th century. (「ありがとう。」に対する決まり文句~は、20世紀初頭から用いられている。) (4)Until now I have thought that the English word "welcome" is a simpe compound of "well" and "come". But this time, my right knowledge is increased recognizing that this word derived from "wilcuma". (今まで私は、日本語の「よく来た」からの類推で、英語の "Welcome." の語源は単に"well"と"come"の合成だと思っていました。しかし今回、"Welcome."の語源が"wilcuma"だと認識することで、正しい知識が1つ増えました。)

その他の回答 (1)

• cbm51901
  • ベストアンサー率67% (2671/3943)
回答No.1

The word "welcome" originates from an Old English "wilcuma," which is an exclamation expressing kindly greeting. Wilcuma, a noun, meant "welcome guest," or literally "one whose coming suits another's will or wish." The word is a combination of "willa" (pleasure, desire, choice) and "cuma" (guest,) which is related to "cuman" (see come). Similar formation of the word is observed in old High German "willicomo," and Middle Dutch "wellecome." The first usage of the word welcome as meaning "entertainment or public reception as a greeting," is recorded from 1530. The adjective is from Old English wilcuma. "You're welcome" as a customary response to "thank you," is attested from 1907. "Welcome mat" is from 1908; "welcome wagon" is attested from 1940. 注:最後のパラグラフ(第4パラグラフ)は省いてもよいと思います。

関連するQ&A

• この英文どうでしょうか?(めざせ英検準一級)

英検準一級を目指しています。このかなり怪しい作文は 14点満点で何点でしょうか?(恐) Dear Tom I understand you are looking forward to visiting Kyoto. As you know,Kyoto is an old city.You can get there by Shinkansen or the bullet train from Tokyo. It takes three hours or so. I am afraid you cannnot see real samurai there. Instead,you can see beautifulwoman who wear beutiful and expensive kimono. What is interesting moreis there are many old temples. You will be surprised to see they are made from wood. And delicious Japanese food will satisfy you. I hope you enjoy visiting Kyoto. Regards,Tomoko

• Early English versions

Early English versions The Bible in English is almost as old as the English language. In fact, the scriptures are as old as written English. This is because the written form of English was produced expressly for the purpose of teaching about the Christian faith. English developed from the languages spoken by the Germanic people (Angles, Saxons and Jutes) who settled, from the 5th century A.D., in what is now England. They did not write their languages apart from perhaps making marks on objects to serve as lucky charms or to show ownership (for this they would use the Germanic characters known as runes). The first extended written English texts were made by missionary priests, who spoke and wrote Latin. They adapted the Roman alphabet, adding the letters æ (known as "ash") ð ("eth") and Þ ("thorn") — though these letters are not used in English today (æ corresponds to the vowel in "ash"; ð and Þ are used interchangeably for both consonants represented by "th", as in "cloth" or "clothe"). The priests' purpose in writing was to produce English texts for a handful of educated and literate men to read aloud to the illiterate and largely pagan people whom they sought to bring into the church. の和訳をお願いします。

• 添削おねがいします!!

分詞の問題なのですが、( )内を前文と同じ意味に。 (1)Someone stole his money. He (was) his money (stolen). (2)They did not understand what she meant. She could not make (themselves) (understood). (3)As it was Sunday, there was no school. ( ) ( )Sunday, there was no school. (4)Written in plain English, this book is easy to read. (Being) (this) (book) is written in plain English, it is easy to read. (5)Admitting what you say, Istill think you are wrong. (All) (things) (considered) what you say, I still think you are wrong. (6)He is a boywhose name is Paul. He is a boy (named) Paul. (7)She was questioned by the police. She then denied that she was a member of the group. ( ) ( ) by the police, she denied that she was a member of the group. (8)When we see the big rock from a distance, it lookes like an old castle. (Seen) from a distance, the big rock looks like an old castle. (9)I tried every plan. i left ( ) plan ( ). (10)They will start early, if it is fine. They will start early, weather ( ). 分詞構文に (1)We danced, as we sang merrily. Dansing our, as we sang merrily. (2)As it is written in easy English, this book is suitable for beginners. Writting in easy English, this book~  (3)He said nothing and went out of the room. 分からないところが多くてすみません。どなたか添削のほうお願いします!!

• 日本語訳にできる方お願いします>_<

何語か分かりません。英語っぽいんですが、ところどころ単語が出てこなかったりします。 ちなみに、このメッセージの相手はトルコ人です。 誰か訳せる方、宜しくお願いします。 if you come as my guest who is okay, but if you will remain I <<<this is succession from the computer phrases I ceviriyom <<<and to know you to be close to the ıstıyom.. 何といってるのでしょうか?

• 和訳をよろしくお願いします

As playwright Titus Maccius Plautus wrote, "no guest is so welcome in a friend's house that he will not become a nuisance after three days" 括弧内の和訳をよろしくお願いします

• 英問英答(3)ラスト

So today, to have learned English means to have your own rights as one of the users of the language. And it is just as likely that the future course of English will be influenced by second or foreign language speakers of English as by native speakers. Language learners will be facing these World Englishes, and they will develop a sense of international standards of English ―as well as their national norms of English, which are currently the focus of learning. It may not be many years, however, before an international standard becomes the starting-point for every learner of English, with British, American, and other varieties all seen as optional versions of English. 【questions】 What does “to have learned English” mean? What will learners of English develop when they face World Englishes? 二問ありますがおねがいします!

• a book も句と言って良いでしょうか。

普通、句とは下記で言うto study englishの部分です。 to study english is difficult. これは名詞句と思うのですが たとえば This is a book. Old stone was vanished. Speaking English is fun. これらのa book,old stone,speaking englishなども句ととらえていいのでしょうか。 要するに関連する単語が並んでいたら一つと単純にみなしていいか知りたいです。

• not untilを使った英文

「彼女が日本を去って初めて、彼女がいかに熱心にあなたたちに英語を指導しようとしていたかわかるでしょうね」 こんな内容を伝えたいのですが、以下の文は通じますか? You will not realize how enthusiastic she is trying to teach you English until she leaves Japan. よろしくお願いします。

• 翻訳いたします

「コンピュータ、WEBサイトの英日・日英翻訳をいたします。」を英訳すると、"I will translate, as to computer or WEB site, English into Japanese or Japanese into English. "で良いでしょうか?

• 同じ意味になるように?を埋める問題です。沢山あります。よろしくお願いし

同じ意味になるように?を埋める問題です。沢山あります。よろしくお願いします This book is greatly useful. This book is ? great use. the でしょうか? Ken stepped aside to let me pass. Ken stepped aside ? ? I ? pass. まず、やくは、 けんは私の通過を妨害するかのように歩いた でしょうか me keep from ですか?そしたらIにならないのかどうか。 Girl as she was,she was brave. ? she was a girl,~あとは同上。 ?はAsですか やくは、 彼女は女として勇敢だ。 ですか? If you wear these glasses,you will be able to see things clealy at a distance. These glasses will enable ? ? ? things clearly at a distance. もしあなたがこれらのグラスを使うなら、やや離れしてみるとクリアに見えるだろう?ですか to be saw さっぱりわからないです She has good reason to complain of her husband. She ? ? complain of her husband. 夫に彼女が不満をいうに当然の理由がある。 is natural 他に -rather than - not so much - as - このとき soの部分が asだとダメなのでしょうか