• 締切済み

英文に区切りを入れてください

英文全てに、音読するときに 区切りを入れる場所を示してください。 チャンク・リーディングというのでしょうか。 少し長いですが、よろしくお願いします。 One of the charming,or unpleasant,things about living in an old University town is that the church clocks strike every quarter of an hour.The sound is always beautiful, but sometimes it disturbs people,when they are trying to sleep,or startles them,when they are thinking of something else.Actually,most people who live near such clocks soon get so used to them that they hardly notice them. One year, several people who lived in Cambridge thought they heard one of the big church strike 13 minutes instead of 12 at midnight one night.They listened again the following night,and sure enough ,they heard 11,12,and then 13,so the next morning, they phoned the priest who was in charge of that church and told him what they had heard. Of course,he was very surprised, and said that he would have the machinery of the clock examined by the engineers as soon as possible.Actually,when he phoned the company that looked after the machinery of the clock,they were so interested in the problem that the manager and two of his men came at once and spent an hour examining the clock,but they found nothing wrong with it. Then the priest suddenly had an idea,One of the colleges of the university was on the other side of the road,opposite the church,so that evening ,just before midnight,the priest hid in the yard in front of the church with a pair of field glasses,and carefully examined the windows of the college with them.When the church clock began to strike midnight ,one of the windows opened,and a student appeared with an airgun,and as soon as the twelfth stroke had finished ,he aimed at the bell carefully and fired a shot。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数0

みんなの回答

• Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9682/12040)
回答No.1

以下のとおりお答えします。(面白い内容の文章ですね! どこにでも、いたずら好きがいるものですね!)。おっと、説明を忘れるところでした。それぞれ、///は大区切りを、//は中区切りを、/は小区切りを表わします。 One of the charming, or unpleasant, things/ about living in an old University town// is that the church clocks/ strike every quarter of an hour.///The sound is always beautiful, //but sometimes it disturbs people,/when they are trying to sleep,or startles them,/when they are thinking of something else.///Actually,/most people who live near such clocks /soon get so used to them /that they hardly notice them. ///One year,/ several people who lived in Cambridge /thought they heard one of the big church strike 13 minutes instead of 12 at midnight one night.///They listened again the following night,//and sure enough /,they heard 11,12,and then 13,//so the next morning, /they phoned the priest /who was in charge of that church //and told him what they had heard. ///Of course,/he was very surprised, //and said that he would have the machinery of the clock examined by the engineers /as soon as possible.///Actually,/when he phoned the company /that looked after the machinery of the clock,//they were so interested in the problem /that the manager and two of his men came at once /and spent an hour examining the clock,//but they found nothing wrong with it./// Then /the priest suddenly had an idea,//one of the colleges of the university /was on the other side of the road,opposite the church,//so that evening ,just before midnight,/the priest hid in the yard in front of the church with a pair of field glasses,//and carefully examined the windows of the college with them.///When the church clock began to strike midnight ,//one of the windows opened,/and a student appeared with an airgun,/and as soon as the twelfth stroke had finished ,//he aimed at the bell carefully and fired a shot.///

関連するQ&A

• 英文に区切りを入れてください

英文全てに、音読するときに 区切りを入れる場所を示してください。 チャンク・リーディングというのでしょうか。 少し長いですが、よろしくお願いします。 One of the charming,or unpleasant,things about living in an old University town is that the church clocks strike every quarter of an hour.The sound is always beautiful, but sometimes it disturbs people,when they are trying to sleep,or startles them,when they are thinking of something else.Actually,most people who live near such clocks soon get so used to them that they hardly notice them. One year, several people who lived in Cambridge thought they heard one of the big church strike 13 minutes instead of 12 at midnight one night.They listened again the following night,and sure enough ,they heard 11,12,and then 13,so the next morning, they phoned the priest who was in charge of that church and told him what they had heard. Of course,he was very surprised, and said that he would have the machinery of the clock examined by the engineers as soon as possible.Actually,when he phoned the company that looked after the machinery of the clock,they were so interested in the problem that the manager and two of his men came at once and spent an hour examining the clock,but they found nothing wrong with it. Then the priest suddenly had an idea,One of the colleges of the university was on the other side of the road,opposite the church,so that evening ,just before midnight,the priest hid in the yard in front of the church with a pair of field glasses,and carefully examined the windows of the college with them.When the church clock began to strike midnight ,one of the windows opened,and a student appeared with an airgun,and as soon as the twelfth stroke had finished ,he aimed at the bell carefully and fired a shot.

• この英文の構造について教えてください。

バートランド・ラッセルの「The Conquest of Happiness」からの英文です。 They found themselves in the presence of something which awoke in them that sense of reverence which nothing else claimed, and something to which they felt, even in the very depths of their being, that an unquestioning loyalty was due. 彼らは、彼らの中に呼び起こした何かの存在の中に、他に値するものが何もない尊敬の意味、そして絶対的な忠誠が当然払われるものであると、彼らの存在のまさに深みの中でさえ、彼らが感じた何かに、気がついた。 と訳してみましたが、全体の構造がよくわかりません。 They(S) found(V) themselves in the presence of something (which) awoke in them が最初にあって、 以下はthat節でしょうか? (that) sense of reverence (which) nothing else claime, and something to( which) they felt(後半のthatにつながる→) (that) an unquestioning loyalty was due. even in the very depths of their being(挿入句)

• 英文和訳(とにかく分からないです)

以下の1文はAdam Smith-Theory and Politics-The four stages of Societyの481頁からの引用です。 From the system I have already explain'd, you will remember that I told you we may conceive an injury was done one when an impartial spectator would be of opinion he was injured, would join with him in his concern and go along with him when he defended the subject in his possession against any violent attack, or used force to recover what had been thus wrongfully wrested out of his hand. 質問は、この文は一体全体どうなっているのか、ということです。 you will remember that I....の「you」が全体の主語で、that節の主語はI、そしてI told you(that)we may....でまたthat節に入りyouが主語になる。(that)we may....はwe may conceive an injury was doneで終わる。 ここで「one」がくるのですが、when以下は挿入で one would join....という風に「one」は主語であると考える。すると、one would join with him in his concern and go along with him when....に続く。 あぁ、とにかくどこがどうなっているやら、そもそもoneは主語であっているのか、2つのwhenはどこにかかるのか、ということが分かりません。どなたか分かる方いらっしゃいますか? From the system I have already explain'd, の the systemは「占有することで財産権(所有権)が生まれる仕組み」を指します。

• 英文日記の添削お願いいたします。

A young couple was chav in appearance asked me to take them to a place in a car during driving in the middle of midnight. I listened to them through the window at first. However eventually opened the window and get them to hailed taxi despited I decided never to open the window and door. I talked a driver and handed them some papers. (cos they said that they had not enough money and it seemed true) They thanked me very much repeatedly. I found I felt regret for both my acts what I gave cold shoulder and what I opened the window when I saw that attitude. Such situations that force with a rang of choices often turn up in life. Wondering if my judgment was decent somewhat. 宜しくお願いいたします。

• 英文を訳してください。

オリンピックにかんするジャパンタイムズの記事です。 The impact is huge, mentally. I’m sure children in elementary and junior high school have found an athlete or a team they admire and that will be a legacy. Having a wonderful athlete come from them will also be a legacy,” Japan team Deputy Chef de Mission Mitsugi Ogata said. “Each athlete did their best to abide by the many (coronavirus) rules and the behavior of each and every one of them inspired trust and a sense of pride,” ●Having a wonderful athlete come from them の部分と ●the behavior of each and every one of them inspired trust and a sense of prideの部分の訳を直訳でお願いします。

• BOSSという英文の訳お願いします

Words appeal to the emotions of people as well as to their intellect. Some words soothe one's feelings, but others arouse dislike or hatred. The first settlers who came to New England were glad that in this new land they were without masters. They despised master because it reminded them of a social order they hoped they were through with forever. They found an excellent way to get along without the word. In Dutch baas means "master." The early English settlers in New York borrowed this word in the form of boss and used it instead of master. It quickly became popular all over the country and is still in everyday use. It should be noticed however, that boss has never been able to secure anything but colloquial standing in the language. It is quite useful among friends in familiar conversation and writings of an informal sort. When it is used of one in political control of a district or situation it is slang.

• 英語堪能な方、英文を日本語に翻訳お願いします

英語堪能な方にお願いします。m(_ _)m 大変長文で申し訳ありませんが、 以下の英語を日本語に翻訳を、どうぞ宜しくお願いします。m(_ _)m WELLMIT WAS SO MANY GOOD PITCHER WHEN I WAS THERE THAT I THOUGHT COULD HAVE PITCH IN THE MAJOR LEAGUE AND I THINK THEY WOULD HAVE DONE VERY WELL THE ONE THAT COME TO MIND IS KAKU OF THE SEIBU LIONS HE HAD GREAT CONTROL HE HAD SEVERAL DIFFERENT PITCHES HE COULD THROW FOR STRIKE HE HAD A GREAT ARM OUTSTANDING FASTBALL HE LOCATION WAS GREAT I THINK HE WOULD HAVE DONE GOOD IN THE MAJOR LEAGUE BUT THERE WAS SO MANY NOW JUST THE PACIFIC LEAGUE BUT IN THE CENTRAL LEAGUE AS WELL HE IS THE ONE THAT COME TO MIND WHEN I THINK OF I KNOW WATANABE COULD HAVE PITCH THERE AS WELL.

• 英文の訳お願いします!

John Chapman was one of the oddest characters ever seen on the American frontier. He was born in 1774 in Leominster, in central Massachusetts, and died in 1845 at Fort Wayne, Indiana. When he was still a boy he became very interested in apple trees. Apples were greatly prized everywhere, and especially on the frontier. Every settler had as large an different ways. Young Chapman thought of planting apple seeds over the frontier wilderness so young trees would be ready for the settlers when they arrived. With great leader bags filled with apple seeds which he secured at cider mills, he was soon a familiar figure in frontier regions that are now Ohio and Indiana. Early in his career he received the nickname Johnny Appleseed. He aroused attention wherever he appeared. He was usually barefoot and tattered. He sometimes slept in some settler's cabin, but always on the floor. Often he spent the night in the woods under a tree, or if the weather was stormy or cold, in a hollow log if he could find one. He tried never to injure any living thing, not even a mosquito or fly or rattlesnake. Once when he was traveling with an Indian friend, a rattlesnake bit him on the hand, and the Indian promptly killed the Snake. But Johnny chided him for treating so cruelly one of God's lovely creatures. The Indians regarded him as such a peculiar fellow that they molested him, even during wars with the settlers. Stories told by and about Johnny Appleseed are widespread. Books and plays have been written about him, and many poems and jingles have had him as their subject.

• 英文についての質問です。

In comparing his results obtained for different domains, Galton claimed that they supported, but did not prove, his hereditarian thesis. "The general result is, that exactly one-half of the illustrious men have one or more eminent relations." The highest proportion of the illustrious with an eminent family, 0.8, he found among senior judges(24 out of 30 lord chancellors) and men of science (65 out of 83), the lowest, 0.2-0.3, among divines (33 out of 196) and musicians (26 out of 100), with an overall average for all domains of 0.5. However, Galton admitted that his personal bias could easily have influenced his choice of illustrious and eminent individuals. (Genius by Andrew Robinson) 1) 以下の数字が出てくる英文はどのように読むのでしょうか? The highest proportion of the illustrious with an eminent family, 0.8, he found among senior judges(24 out of 30 lord chancellors) and men of science (65 out of 83), the lowest, 0.2-0.3, among divines (33 out of 196) and musicians (26 out of 100), with an overall average for all domains of 0.5. 2)exactly one-half of the illustrious men have one or more eminent relations. ・・・・relationsは親戚ですか? 3)his personal bias・・・彼の個人的な先入観、ですか? 複数の質問になってしまい申し訳ありません。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英文の和訳

英文を和訳していただけるかたのみで お願いできますでしょうか? 1段落の前半部分となります。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 He has always had an interest in music, and may enjoy Mozart or Beethoven, Haydn. He likes travel and new places Like to make notes or carry a pencil and note book for when he is inspired.. Though he has a deep love or nostalgia for his homeland and the things about it the traditions and flavor that make it uniquely his homeland. Rather conservative in that sense. A little patriotic. But loves travel and adventure. He is also interested in Africa, in wild animals, lions, elephants, or game reserves. African life. and similar wild open places. May like films or books set in Africa. Or wild like photography. He may like painting, or used to paint at one time. He likes masculine hobbies, that have a hint of adventure and excitement and the wild outdoors about them. Though he is not much into team sports. May like fighting sports though.