The Walls of Japanese Houses: A Sense of Security

このQ&Aのポイント
  • In Japan, the walls surrounding houses give a sense of security to the residents, even though they are not high enough to keep out intruders or block the view of neighbors and passers-by.
  • The walls have become miniature castles that provide privacy but also allow for a sense of community as neighbors can easily observe each other.
  • Despite the lack of practical benefits, the walls are appreciated for their calming effect and the feeling of protection they provide.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英語 長文

和訳をお願いします。 Arriving from a prairie town of rolling lawns and open driveways, the first feature of Japanese life that made me feel that I was not in America anymore was the “wall" that surrounded nearly each and every house. To a newcomer like I was then, it was almost as if the Japanese had taken the phrase “a man's home is his castle" literally. As I took a quick look at any street, there they were : miniature castles. “I like the walls," says my Japanese wife. “They make me feel secure". My question is, “Why?" For the walls are not high enough to keep robbers out or even block out the curious eyes of neighbors and passers-by. In my first year in Japan, I can remember being awakened by a whispered voice near my window. I rolled over in my bedding to see my neighbor's young daughter with a group of school friends. She was looking over the wall and reporting on my movements. “Now he's turning over. Now he's making a face. Now he's sitting up. Now he's ...run!" At other times I have had neighbors phone with helpful information like :“You've left your back window open."“You've left clothes hanging out in the rain."“Why not air out that bedding? It's been lying in your room for weeks." I thought, “How would they know that if their eyes had not wandered over the castle's low wall?" The walls do not hold back the other senses either. When there is yakiniku sizzling on my neighbor's tabletop, I can almost taste it. When my other neighbor chooses to talk to her plants at five in the morning, I feel as if I were right there among the flowers. “I still like them," says my wife. “I find them calming."

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • sayshe
  • ベストアンサー率77% (4555/5904)
回答No.1

起伏のある芝生と広々とした私有車道の大草原の町から到着して、自分はもうアメリカにはいないのだと私に感じさせた日本の生活の最初の特徴は、ほとんどすべての家を取り囲む「壁」でした。 当時の私の様な新参者にとっては、日本人がほとんどまるで文字通りに「人の家は、その人の城である」という慣用句を信じているかのようでした。 私がどの通りに素早く目をやっても、そこにはそれらが存在していました: ミニチュアの城です。 「私は、壁が好きよ」と、私の日本人の家内は言います。 「壁があると、私は安心するのよ」。 私の疑問は「なぜ?」です。 なぜならば、それらの壁は、強盗を中に入れないためには十分高くないですし、隣人や通りがかりの人の奇妙な目を遮るのにさえ十分な高さではないからです。 日本での私の1年目に、私はうちの窓の近くのささやき声によって目を覚まされたことを思い出せます。 私が、布団の中で寝がえりを打つと、ご近所の若い娘さんが数人の学校友達と一緒にいるのが目に入りました。 彼女は壁ごしに見て、私の動きを報告していました。 「今、寝返りを打ってるわ。 今度は、顔をしかめてる。 あっ、体を起こした。 今度は ... 走った!」 また別の時には、私はご近所の人たちから次の様な役立つ情報の電話をいただきました:「裏窓が開けっぱなしになってますよ」「雨なのに洗濯物が干したままですよ」「どうしてお布団を干さないの?何週間もお部屋に敷きっぱなしじゃないの」。 「彼らの視線が、城の低い壁を乗り越えたのでなければ、どうして、彼らにそれが分かるのだろう?」と、私は思いました。 壁は、それ以外の感覚も押しとどめてくれません。 お隣の食卓で焼き肉がジュージューいっているとき、私はそれをほとんど味わえるほどです。 他のお隣さんが朝の5時に彼女の植木に向かって話しかけると、私は、まるでそれらの花の間にいる様に感じます。 「私は、それでもお隣さんたちが好きよ」と、家内は言います。 「お隣さんがいると落ち着くのよね。」

za_bes
質問者

お礼

わざわざ訂正までありがとうございました!! 後、ベストアンサー遅くなってすみませんでした><

その他の回答 (1)

• sayshe
  • ベストアンサー率77% (4555/5904)
回答No.2

#1.です。訂正です。11行目。 >なぜならば、それらの壁は、強盗を中に入れないためには十分高くないですし、隣人や通りがかりの人の【奇妙⇒好奇な】な目を遮るのにさえ十分な高さではないからです。 に【 】内を訂正して下さい。失礼しました。

関連するQ&A

• 英語を日本語に訳して貰えますか?

友人から来たメールの文章ですが、なんとなくしか理解出来ません…。英語が堪能な方に訳して頂きたいです…。 Me if i think to marry my EX-boyfriend...in one point i did . but thank god i did not ..he really was not a good boy.he was a evil boss like character..so what he say or nothing! .....he try to control me always ......... and he never care if i need it to finish a project .. so that how she was... ) but now i am by my self and is good but i feel lonely.. and that how i feel now !

• 英語の文法ミス教えてください 至急

1 My most favorite character in this book is Finkle. He is a religious man and lives in loneliness. The reason why he was absorbed in his religion was he could not belong anywhere in social world. He had never loved anyone, and he had lived without knowledge of himself. He said in a strained manner, "that I came to God not because I love Him, but because I did not." He had to believe the god because he did not have any ideas what he should rely on. I like Finkle because I easily feel empathy to him. 2 This question is a kind of tricky. I believe that Salzman was saying “Jewish prayer for the Dead” because Salzman said "Like an animal. Like a dog. For her to be poor was a sin. This is why to me she is dead now." This implies that his daughter must have committed something sin, and Salzman was ashamed of it. That is why Salzman regarded his daughter as a dead. So Salzman said that phrase for Finkle and Stella. 3 I believe that Salzman engineered the meeting between Finkle and Stella. As a father, Salzman wants Stella to get marriage to someone. However, Salzman thought that Salzman was a sinful person. So nobody wants to get marriage to Stella. So Salzman just manipulate Salzman to get marriage to Stella.

• 英語の質問です。和訳お願いします。

some guy called me on Wednesday and said my friend had told him that I might be interested in some event.. But he didn't tell me what the event was about because he said he wants to talk to me about it in person.. So we decided to meet next weeks Wednesday. It sounded a bit suspicious so I invited a friend to go with me. But yesterday I found out he's my friends' boyfriend, so I'm not so worried anymore (^_^;) Yesterday was my parents' 25 year anniversary. Dad always sends mom roses if he's at work, but now he contacted me and said his internet at work is not working so he asked me to order 25 roses for mom and also send her a card with a romantic poem (in Spanish of course). And he only contacted me like 2 days before the anniversary day and I was really busy during those days Q__Q I managed to do everything though, but it was a bit strange to be looking for a love poem for my mom, lol. She's the one who could've gotten me a work placement in Tokyo but I refused it later. But now she said its good that I didnt take the job because they had some problems there and that its better for me to just find a company in Kansai area. And she said there was one company where she has connections to, so she will most likely help me with that. Yay (^O^)

• 英語の添削お願いします。

この文章を添削していただけませんか? 「父は昔、テーブルマナーに厳しかったが、現在は注意しなくなった。」という内容です。 特に、時制は正しいかを知りたいです。 長文ですが、よろしくお願いします。  My father would often say to me, “Table manners are important for you.” When I was a child, my father was strict on table manners. He was always stern with me, but he was especially fastidious about table manners. For example, he said, “Don’t put your elbow on the table.”or “Don’t speak while eating anything.” These examples are general table manners. That is why he used to make a big fuss over my table manners, every time I ate.  Furthermore, My father was pedantic about even trivial matters. For instance, he said, “Don’t leave even a single grain.” This was really difficult for me. When I finished eating, I had to show my rice bowl to my father, because he wanted to check if I had eaten every grain of rice. If hadn't, I had to eat again. This bothered me, but I now realize that eating even the last grain of rice was to show my respect for a person who had cooked for me.  I hated such my father when I was a child. However, as I got older, he no longer told me about my table manners. Probably, this was because he could not find any faults in my table manners which I must have improved since. Now, I can understand his strictness on table manners. Mealtimes are not only the time when we eat something but also the time when we can enhance friendship with someone. Good table manners make the other feel good, but bad manners hurt their feelings. Therefore table manners are very important.  Thanks to my father, I don’t have any problems about them. These days, parents are not strict on table manners. However, I think that parents should show good table manners to their children. I want to be a father who is strict on table manners like my father in the future.

• 英語のメール、、、

スイマセン、ペンパルからメールを貰ったんですが、ちょっと意味のわからない事かいてあるんです・・・なぜ自分は日本の女性に興味があるのかという理由を書いてくれたのですが、意味がわかりません。わかる方お願いします。 She was so Beautiful that I did not want to shut my eyes until the scene was over. After the movie I went to sleep. Suddenly I saw the same girl in my dream. Except she was in a white dress and jade rose petals fell this time. (I wish I finished that dream) Suddenly I woke up. I was late for shcool. TO make it worse it was raining the next day. As I got to school I noticed that many people were wearing rain coats. But the strange part was this: Every one had a hoody and umbrella. As they took them down I noticed that almost all of them were"JAPANESE"! I had been in that school for almost a year and I had never noticed I had Japanese fellow students. It was so surprising that I could not close my mouth! I wanted to talk to them but I did not know what to say. I could not speak. I did not want to sound stupid. But now that I have met you I know exactly what to say. It was something I could never say because I was so much in love with the beauty they have, that I was stunned. SO Now I have met you I will say what I could not say then........."HELLO"!

• 英語のメール

ペンパルからのメールです。 自分のペット(犬とねずみ)の話なのですが、詳しく教えてください。 英語圏の人ではないので、よくスペルミスをする人なのですが、たぶん間違いだろうと思うところは直しました。 I have a dog and a rat. I know You may not like rats, but this one is different - he's very clean animal- just like cat. I did not planned to have a rat, but after my dog was operated ("Ruda" - ルダ - redhead, because she's redhead like a fox) she changed a lot. My dog became very pessimistic, started to think about life and death. All i want to say is that i felt like i lost my dog- she was staring at the window day after day. So to help her with her depression i gave her little rat to raise. That moment changed everything. Now they are good friends, rat fall asleep laying on her back:). They are both great and they make my parents laugh what is important.  Well i planned to put a cat between them, but my dog did not agree it:).

• 長文和訳お願いします!

長文和訳お願いします! 読みにくかったらすみません My dear 〇〇 I'm slowly getting over my jet lag and getting used to my normal life again. Life in Japan was so easy for my ... everyday eating out in a restaurant, hotel room got cleaned every day ... In Belgium I need to do all that myself ... it is a bit of work ... but part of me is happy to be back in my own house ... and not havening to live out of my suitcase. But at the same time I'm very sad that I have left Japan and that I'm now so far away from you.

• 英語長文です!!

Something happened once when my friend Jack was Living in Minnesota-- something that he didn`t consider any big deal.I called Jack`s house to speak with him, and the phone was answerd by an unfamiliar voice. The radio was playing loudly in the background, and for a moment I thought I might have dialed an incorrect number. The voice on the other end said a few labored words that I could`t understand, and then stopped. The rock music from the radio continued. I stayed on the line, concerned that something was wrong. Three or four minutes passed, and finally I heard another phone being picked up in the house. I heard Jack`s voice say, ‘Hello?‘ I said hello back, and I said I`d thought that a foreigh-born person or a person who was unable to speak clearly had answerd his phone, I asked him if anything troubling was going on. `I`ll tell you in a minute,` he said, and his voice went away and soon enough I could hear it in the room where the other phone was off the hook-- the room from which I was hearing the rock music. I heard Jack say , I`ve got it,honey.` Then.`It`s all right. Thank you for answering.` He hung up that phone,and when I heard him again he could talk without her listening. `She`s such a sweettheart,` he said, and then explained. He had been out of town on business, and when he returned the girl -- the girl who had answerd the phone with such difficulty -- had moved into his house. His wife Janice was working as a schoolteacher, and at the school where she taught there were children who had severe disabilities.This girl was one of those children. She had been born with a serious problem that had affected her both physically and mentally. It was not the kind of illness that surgery or medicine could fix.

• 大至急、翻訳をお願い致します。

“My life changed when I met him, but it was a slow kind of thing, it wasn’t like an overnight rich thing. He didn’t have a lot of friends in his life, it was very sad. That’s another alcoholic addict thing, he was very isolating, he liked to isolate. So he knew my brother, they were in rehab together, and that’s where I first met him. Then he was in rehab with my brother again two years later. It’s not that crazy statistically if you realize how many rehabs he had been to. So the second time he ended up in rehab with my brother, we were like family. That’s when he asked me to come work at the studio.” “He was just a nicer guy, he was more himself I think, more the real guy. I think he just slowly changed over time. Everyone changes over time, but he lost some of his warmth I think.”

• 英語の翻訳をお願いします

長文ですが、次の英語の翻訳をお願いします。 ある俳優にファンが出演した映画について聞いています Q:I was going to ask you Randy about Lorton Lake. A:You know Danny finished that and like re-edited it and did something with it. The director, sorry, the director has had like full control of overall about whatever we make and then he is going to cut down. And I think he did some weird re-edit of it and it played at some places under a different name, but I don't actually have that in control over that anymore. I was like… Q:Don't know if we are going to get to see that then? A:I don't know, I should talk to him while I am here, I need to… Probably not. Q:There is so many things that you guys do that we don't get to see. A:I know, I know, but it's like not good enough for you guys yet, if you see it now. 宜しくお願いします。