A Touching Story of Unexpected Kindness in Minnesota

このQ&Aのポイント
  • A heartwarming story unfolded in Minnesota when my friend Jack received a call from an unfamiliar voice, leading to a surprising revelation.
  • Jack's phone call took an unexpected turn when a foreign-born person or someone with speech difficulties answered, raising concerns.
  • It turned out that the person who answered the call was a girl with severe disabilities who had recently moved into Jack's house, bringing unexpected joy to his life.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英語長文です!!

Something happened once when my friend Jack was Living in Minnesota-- something that he didn`t consider any big deal.I called Jack`s house to speak with him, and the phone was answerd by an unfamiliar voice. The radio was playing loudly in the background, and for a moment I thought I might have dialed an incorrect number. The voice on the other end said a few labored words that I could`t understand, and then stopped. The rock music from the radio continued. I stayed on the line, concerned that something was wrong. Three or four minutes passed, and finally I heard another phone being picked up in the house. I heard Jack`s voice say, ‘Hello?‘ I said hello back, and I said I`d thought that a foreigh-born person or a person who was unable to speak clearly had answerd his phone, I asked him if anything troubling was going on. `I`ll tell you in a minute,` he said, and his voice went away and soon enough I could hear it in the room where the other phone was off the hook-- the room from which I was hearing the rock music. I heard Jack say , I`ve got it,honey.` Then.`It`s all right. Thank you for answering.` He hung up that phone,and when I heard him again he could talk without her listening. `She`s such a sweettheart,` he said, and then explained. He had been out of town on business, and when he returned the girl -- the girl who had answerd the phone with such difficulty -- had moved into his house. His wife Janice was working as a schoolteacher, and at the school where she taught there were children who had severe disabilities.This girl was one of those children. She had been born with a serious problem that had affected her both physically and mentally. It was not the kind of illness that surgery or medicine could fix.

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • sayshe
  • ベストアンサー率77% (4555/5904)
回答No.1

かつて、私の友人のジャックが、ミネソタに住んでいた時、あることが、起こりました ― 彼が、全然大したことではないと考えたことです。 私は、彼と話すためにジャックの家に電話をしました、すると、その電話には、なじみの薄い声が、出ました。 ラジオが、背後で、大きな音でかかっていました、そして、瞬間的に、私は、間違った番号にダイヤルしたかもしれないと思いました。 相手の声は、私に理解できない2、3ののろのろした言葉で話して、そして、電話は、切れました。ラジオからロック音楽が、続いていました。 私は、電話をつないだまま、何か良くない事が起こっているのかと心配していました。 3、4分が、過ぎました、そして、ようやく、私は、その家の中で、もう一つ別の電話が、取られるのを聞きました。 私は、ジャックの声が、「もしもし」と言うのを聞きました。私は、挨拶を返して、外国生まれの人か、はっきり話すことができない人が、彼の電話に出たと思ったと、私は言いました。何か問題が、起こっているのかと、私は、彼に尋ねました。「すぐに君に話すよ」と、彼は言いました、そして、彼の声は、去りました、そして、すぐに、もう一方の電話が、はずれていた部屋 ― ロック音楽が、聞こえていた部屋 ― で、私は、それ(ジャックの声)を聞くことができました。 「原因がわかったよ。」と、私は、ジャックが言うのを聞きました。 それから、「もう大丈夫だ。 答えてくれてありがとう。」(と言いました。) 彼は、その電話を切りました、そして、私が、再び彼の話を聞いたとき、彼は、彼女に聴かれずに話すことができました。「彼女は、とっても可愛いいんだ」と、彼は言いました、そして、説明しました。 彼は、仕事で町を出ていました、そして、彼が、帰ったとき、その女の子 ― 大変苦労して電話に出た女の子 ― が、彼の家へ引っ越して来ていました。 彼の妻ジャニスは、学校の先生として働いていて、彼女が、教えている学校には、高度障害のある子供たちがいました。この女の子は、そうした子供たちの1人でした。 身体的に、また、精神的に、彼女に影響を及ぼした深刻な問題を抱えて、彼女は、生まれました。 それは、手術や薬が治すことのできる種類の病気ではありませんでした。

関連するQ&A

• 英語の和訳です。お願いします!!

I paid for my purchases and was rearranging things in my purse when the little boy came up to the cashier. The cashier rang up his purchases and then said, "Congratulations, you are my hundredth customer today, and you win a prize!"With that, she handed the little boy the Pokemon game, and he could only stare in disbelief. It was, he said, exactly what he had wanted!  The little girl and her father had been standing at the doorway during all of this, and I saw the biggest, prettiest, toothless grin on that little girl that I have ever seen in my life.    As I walked back to my car in amazement over what I had just witnessed, I heard the father ask his daughter why she had done that."Daddy, didn't Grandma and Grandpa want me to buy something that would make me happy?"He said, "Of course they did, honey."the little girl replied, "Well, I just did!"

• lost his way

I thought my husband and I had a great marriage -- until I looked on his phone and found text messages to another woman. I was crushed. I asked him about it, and he said that it was nothing and that there were only a few messages. When I checked our cellphone details, I was completely devastated to find that it had been going on for almost a year and there were almost 2,000 text messages during the past six months. When I talked to him about this and all the lies he had told me, he said he had lost his way and he was sorry and didn't want to lose me. lost his wayはここではどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英語の文法ミス教えてください 至急

1 My most favorite character in this book is Finkle. He is a religious man and lives in loneliness. The reason why he was absorbed in his religion was he could not belong anywhere in social world. He had never loved anyone, and he had lived without knowledge of himself. He said in a strained manner, "that I came to God not because I love Him, but because I did not." He had to believe the god because he did not have any ideas what he should rely on. I like Finkle because I easily feel empathy to him. 2 This question is a kind of tricky. I believe that Salzman was saying “Jewish prayer for the Dead” because Salzman said "Like an animal. Like a dog. For her to be poor was a sin. This is why to me she is dead now." This implies that his daughter must have committed something sin, and Salzman was ashamed of it. That is why Salzman regarded his daughter as a dead. So Salzman said that phrase for Finkle and Stella. 3 I believe that Salzman engineered the meeting between Finkle and Stella. As a father, Salzman wants Stella to get marriage to someone. However, Salzman thought that Salzman was a sinful person. So nobody wants to get marriage to Stella. So Salzman just manipulate Salzman to get marriage to Stella.

• 英語の和訳です。お願いします!!

Of course, this was no treatment in the proper sense since, first, his despair was no disease, and second, I could not change his attitude toward his unchangeable fate because from that time on he could at least see a meaning in his suffering.

• 長文を日本語に訳してください!(2)

よくわからないので、よろしくお願いします。 For twenty years Tom raced and gambled, philandered with the prettiest girls, danced, ate in the most expensive restaurants, and dressed beautifully. He always looked as if he had just stepped out of a bandbox. Though he was forty-six you would never have taken him for more than thirty-five. He was the most amusing companion and though you knew he was perfectly worthless you could not but enjoy his society. He had high spirits, and unfailing gaiety, and incredible charm. I never grudged the contributions he regularly levied on me for the necessities of his existence. I never lent him fifty pounds without feeling that I was in his debt. Tom Ramsay knew everyone and everyone knew Tom Ramsay. You could not approve of him, but you could not help liking him. Poor George, only a year older that his scapegrace brother, looked sixty. He had never taken more than a fortnight's holiday in the year for a quarter of a century. He was in his office every morning at nine-thirty and never left it till six. He was honest, industrious, and worthy. He had a good wife, to whom he had never been unfaithful even in thought, and four daughters to whom he was five to a little house in the country where he proposed to cultivate his garden and play golf. His life was blameless. He was glad that he was growing old because Tom was growing old too. He rubbed his hands and said. 'It was all very well when Tom was young and good-looking, but he's only a year younger than I am. In four years he'll be fifty. He won't find life so easy then. I shall have thirty thousand pounds by the time I'm fifty. For twenty-five years I've said that Tom would end in the gutter. And we shall see how he likes that. We shall see if it really pays best to work or be idle.' Poor George! I sympathized with him. I wondered now as I sat down beside him what infamous thing Tom had done. George was evidently very much upset. 'Do you know what's happened now?' he asked me. I was prepared for the worst. I wondered if Tom had got into the hands of the police at last. George could hardly bring himself to speak. 'You're not going to deny that all my life I've been hardworking, decent, respectable, and straightforward. After a life of industry and thrift I can look forward to retiring on a small income in gilt-edged securities. I've always done my duty in that state of life in which it has pleased Providence to place me.' 'True.' And you can't deny that Tom has been an idle, worthless, dissolute, and dishonourable rogue. If there were any justice he'd be in the workhouse. 'True.' George grew red in the face. 'A few weeks ago he became engaged to a woman old enough to be his mother.And now she's died and left him everything she had. Half a million pounds, a yacht, a house in London, and a house in the country.' George Ramsay beat his clenched fist on the table. 'It's not fair, I tell you, it's not fair. Damn it, it's not fair.' I could not help it. I burst into a shout of laughter as I looked at George's wrathful face, I rolled in my chair, I very nearly fell on the floor. George never forgave me. But Tom often asks me to excellent dinners in his charming house in Mayfair, and if he occasionally borrows a trifle from me, it is merely from force of habit. It is never more than a sovereign.

• 長文を日本語に訳してください!(2)

よくわからないので、よろしくお願いします。翻訳機ではないものでお願いします。 For twenty years Tom raced and gambled, philandered with the prettiest girls, danced, ate in the most expensive restaurants, and dressed beautifully. He always looked as if he had just stepped out of a bandbox. Though he was forty-six you would never have taken him for more than thirty-five. He was the most amusing companion and though you knew he was perfectly worthless you could not but enjoy his society. He had high spirits, and unfailing gaiety, and incredible charm. I never grudged the contributions he regularly levied on me for the necessities of his existence. I never lent him fifty pounds without feeling that I was in his debt. Tom Ramsay knew everyone and everyone knew Tom Ramsay. You could not approve of him, but you could not help liking him. Poor George, only a year older that his scapegrace brother, looked sixty. He had never taken more than a fortnight's holiday in the year for a quarter of a century. He was in his office every morning at nine-thirty and never left it till six. He was honest, industrious, and worthy. He had a good wife, to whom he had never been unfaithful even in thought, and four daughters to whom he was five to a little house in the country where he proposed to cultivate his garden and play golf. His life was blameless. He was glad that he was growing old because Tom was growing old too. He rubbed his hands and said. 'It was all very well when Tom was young and good-looking, but he's only a year younger than I am. In four years he'll be fifty. He won't find life so easy then. I shall have thirty thousand pounds by the time I'm fifty. For twenty-five years I've said that Tom would end in the gutter. And we shall see how he likes that. We shall see if it really pays best to work or be idle.' Poor George! I sympathized with him. I wondered now as I sat down beside him what infamous thing Tom had done. George was evidently very much upset. 'Do you know what's happened now?' he asked me. I was prepared for the worst. I wondered if Tom had got into the hands of the police at last. George could hardly bring himself to speak. 'You're not going to deny that all my life I've been hardworking, decent, respectable, and straightforward. After a life of industry and thrift I can look forward to retiring on a small income in gilt-edged securities. I've always done my duty in that state of life in which it has pleased Providence to place me.' 'True.' And you can't deny that Tom has been an idle, worthless, dissolute, and dishonourable rogue. If there were any justice he'd be in the workhouse. 'True.' George grew red in the face. 'A few weeks ago he became engaged to a woman old enough to be his mother.And now she's died and left him everything she had. Half a million pounds, a yacht, a house in London, and a house in the country.' George Ramsay beat his clenched fist on the table. 'It's not fair, I tell you, it's not fair. Damn it, it's not fair.' I could not help it. I burst into a shout of laughter as I looked at George's wrathful face, I rolled in my chair, I very nearly fell on the floor. George never forgave me. But Tom often asks me to excellent dinners in his charming house in Mayfair, and if he occasionally borrows a trifle from me, it is merely from force of habit. It is never more than a sovereign.

• 英語の和訳です。お願いします!!

I was doing some last-minute Christmas shopping in a toy store and decided to look at Barbie dolls for my nieces. A nicely dressed little girl was excitedly looking through the Barbie dolls as well, with a roll of money clamped tightly in her little hand. When she came upon a Barbie she liked, she would turn and ask her father if she had enough money to buy it. He usually said "yes," but she would keep looking and keep going through their ritual of "do I have enough?"  As she was looking, a little boy wandered in across the aisle and started sorting through the Pokemon toys. He was dressed neatly, but in clothes that were obviously rather worn, and wearing a jacket that was probably a couple of sizes too small. He too had money in his hand, but it looked to be no more than five dollars or so at the most. He was with his father as well, and kept picking up the Pokemon video toys. Each time he picked one up and looked at his father, his father shook his head,"no".

• 長文ですがどなたか翻訳をお願いします。

翻訳できる方がいらっしゃいましたらよろしくお願いします。 The school he went to was dictatorial and wealthy. It was an elaborate artistic building. Possibly one that was founded by a Princess or named after a Princess and bore her image, or arms, or monument and dedication in the building. It was not a school that will appear in the annals of history though, or ever be famous, nothing special. But it was well thought of in the local community and a school to aspire towards there. So I suppose you could say he had a good schooling in that respect. A school that may have had a traditional outlook. In his schooldays he gained physical health and strength. Though his in his early years he was not so strong. As a pupil he has a good memory, but was introspective, and held himself back not always doing the best he could have done in his lessons. His family would have helped him as much as they could at school, and to get a good education. but he may later have forgotten the help he owes to them. He would have had musical or singing ability; good at history, gambling. politics, figures and sports. Town planning and technical drawing. Once he adapted to the school he got well with the other children and way of life. At school he was an achiever, who adapted to change, and began to find a little of his adult charisma and ability to succeed, so was bound eventually to get on at whatever he chose to do. He also became proficient there in making excuses and telling lies to extricate himself from difficult or punishing situations.

• 英語を日本語に訳してほしい

ある男の子が歌っていたんですが英語で分かりません 。よかったら日本語に訳してほしいです。お願いします Suitcase packed with allhis things Car pulls up,the doorbell rings He don't want to go He thought he' d found his home But with Circumstances he can't change Waves goodbye as they pull away From the life he's known For the last seven months or so She said we found the man who looks like you Who cried and said he never knew About the boy in pictures that we showed him A ramble in his younger days He knew he made a few mistakes But he swore he would have been there Had he known it Son we think we found your dad in Oklahoma Amillion thoughts raced through his mind What's his name what's he like and will he be Anything like the man in his dreams She could see the questions in his eyes Whispered "don't be scared my child I'll let you know, What we know About the man we found, he looks like you And cried and said he never knew About the boy in pictures that we showed him A rambler in his younger days He knew he' d made a few mistakes But he swore he would' ve been there Had he known it You always said that this was something that you wanted Son it's time to meet you Dad in Oklahoma One last turn he held his breath 'Til they reached the fifth ho use on the left And as they pulled into the drive A man was waiting there outside Who wiped the worry from his eyes Smiled and took his hand And he said I'm the man who looks like you who cried because I never knew About that boy in pictuves that they showed me A rambler in my younger days I knew I made a few mistakes But I swear I would have been there had I known it Never again will you ever bealone Son welcome to your home in Oklahoma

• よろしくお願いします

"Pete" was a friend of mine. He was 20 years older than I and died at the age of 87. He worked hard his entire life and retired with his wife, and they lived in a small but nice house in Palm Springs. They didn't spend much money and had just enough for a comfortable retirement. Their main source of wealth was their house, which was valued at $600,000, and they owned it free and clear. I live in Los Angeles, a little more than 100 miles from Palm Springs, and we kept in touch by phone at least once a week. I would visit him in person three or four times a year. The point is that I did not keep track of Pete day to day. You can imagine my surprise when one day I woke up to find three voice messages from him saying that I must fire his new caregiver, "George." I called Pete back but could not reach him. I found out later that he had been taken to the hospital and had died several hours later, alone in the hospital room with George. I was immediately suspicious because Pete had been in excellent health, but I could prove nothing. The hospital said he died of "heart failure," and considering his advanced age, that was that. Pete left me various personal items in his will, and when I went to his house to retrieve them, I was shocked to discover that George had moved into his bedroom. George is younger than I am, but he was suddenly having an affair with Pete's widow! I was too disgusted to comment, especially by the timing. that was thatはどう訳したら良いでしょうか?あと、 by the timingはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします