• Inの使われ方とは具体的な例を挙げながら解説します。
  • また、同じ記事の一文で使われているsomethingについても解説します。
  • 要約3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

in the name of ... という表現は普通によく見かける表現で、その in だけを取り出して用法を云々することに意味があるのかどうか、私には疑問ですが (詳しくは文法書をご覧になられた方がよいかも)、一応考えてみますと、たとえば a woman in black というと 「黒づくめ」 の女を想像するように、そのものに付与された属性とでもいうものではないでしょうか。だから in the name of law といえば、警察としての権限によって何かを実行する、という意味になったりするわけです。 something については、日本語に直したら分りやすいような気もします。「何かしら」 希望を見出す、といったふうに訳すと、something の性質が見えてくるのではないでしょうか。[ something to + 動詞の原形] という形もよく用いられると思います。実体を明示しないで 「それ」 を示すことができる言い方である、といえるのではないでしょうか。

winterbells
質問者

お礼

大変よくわかりました。 丁寧な回答に感謝します。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• 英訳の添削をよろしくお願いいたします

平素よりお世話になります。 以下のような2つの英文を作ってみました。添削していただけると 嬉しいです。よろしくお願いいたします。 (原文)何かを学ぶと言う子供らの姿勢は、     テレビの普及に比例し、減少した。 → The children's will to learn something decreased in proportion to the spread of TV. → The children's will to learn something is in inverse proportion to the spread of TV. よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語の文章、特に、"a"と"the"について

次のような文章を英語にしたのですが、これでよいでしょうか? どなたか、アドバイスいただけませんか? 特に、"a"と"the"の使い方(特に"AIZU" is the name of the area which lay in Fukushima Prefecture の、、"a"と"the"の使い方)がよく分からないのですが。 ・「会津」は、日本の江戸時代に、今の福島県及びその周辺に位置する領域の名称だった。 現代の日本では、「会津」という地名は存在していない。 ・During Edo period (1603-1868), "AIZU" is the name of the area which lay in Fukushima Prefecture and periphery thereof in Japan. Today, "AIZU" is not a name of any geographic places in Japan.

• 和訳お願いします!!!

(1) The nature of children's rights is unique in that children are socially powerless to voice their views, and that their realisation is subject to an understanding of children's rights by parents, teachers and the public in general. (2) What may be considered as ”violence" in the public arena is often committed at school under the labels "cane of affection" and educational consideration. (3) some schools maintain strict rules in the name of anti-deliquency measures and improving students' academic performance, without questioning whether this might contradict the underlying assumption of respect for children's rights.

• お願いします!

I was wondering if you would like to exchange all gifts. The two major holidays for Autumn in the USA are Halloween and Thanksgiving. IF you would like something from one of these holidays let me know, or if you have something else you want just tell me.! 申し訳ないのですがこの文章を訳してもらえないでしょうか? お願いします!

• 英語で何て言えば良いでしょうか?

『私たちは年号も大事にしなければいけない。彼が言うように、それは日本で長い歴史を持っている。しかし一方で、日付を書くときに少々混乱させられるのも事実です。なぜなら西暦と年号の二通りあるからだ。』 We have to cherish the name of an era, he said, it has a tradition for a long time in Japan. But while it is a fact that we are a little confused when we write a date on something reports because we have two ways how to write a date by the Christian era or the name of era. これで良いでしょうか? 教えてください よろしくお願いします。

• 新聞記事の意味を教えてください

Tapan times weekly(4/29発行)の記事の一部ですが、その最後の部分の『add something here for long line』の意味および文法的解釈が分かりません。どなたか教えていただけないでしょうか。よろしくお願いします。 Osama bin Laden issued new threats in an audiotape broadcast April 23 on Arab television and accused the United States and Europe of supporting a "Zionist" war on Islam by cutting off funds to the Hamas-led Palestinian government add something here for long line.

• 訳をお願いします。

訳をお願いします。 In the 1980s, children's favorite food was curry and rice. At that time, sushi was an expensive food; it was something that people ate on special days. Today, the food that children like most is sushi. Why has sushi become so popular? The reason is clear: we can get fish more easily, because of the increase in fish farming and the development of freezing technology. Most of the tuna sold at the supermarket comes from fish farms or from distant oceans such as the South Pacific or the Indian Ocean. With such fish, kaiten-zushi bars and delivery shops are able to sell sushi more cheaply. As the number of these bars and shops has grown, sushi has become much more popular.

• 私立の高校入試 英語 過去問

Hello,everyone. Today I want to tell you about one of my ( 1 ) . I enjoy looking at pictures. Last year , I visited Kurashiki in Okayama Prefecture. Kurashiki is an old and beautiful city. There are many people to see. I visited Ohara Museum. There are many wonderful pictures. Especially I loved one that was ( 2 ) by El Greco. He was born in Greece and moved to Venice and Rome. I really enjoyed ( 3 ) the city and have been big fan of El Greco. Q1.本文の内容に合うように、(1)~(3)に入る英語をそれぞれ1語で書きなさい。 Q2.本文の内容を参考にして、次の問いに対する答えを、10語以上の英語で書きなさい。    ただし、英文は2文以上になってもよいものとし、ピリオド(.)やコンマ(,)などの記号は語数に    含めないものとします。     What do you do when you are free? この問題の答えを教えてください。 もし、よければこの英文を訳してくれませんか?

• reflected back was

中国の地震の記事です。 Horrific videos from the disaster zone — the twisted bodies of children layered like fossils in the sediment of a pancaked concrete schoolhouse, the desperate decision to amputate the legs of a dying girl pinned in rubble — forced the Chinese people to look into the abyss. And reflected back was the image of a more compassionate and stronger nation than many had perhaps expected, a place where tens of millions of Chinese lined up for hours to make sure their donations of cash or food or clothes were accepted and where tens of thousands of others like the Wus left their jobs and families and rushed to aid their compatriots. 二行目の最後のほうの reflected back wasというのがわかりません。 reflectedというのはテレビに映っている場合の”映っている”ではなくて、反映しているのだと思いますが・・・ そして backは 背景に映っているの ”背景”ではないと思うのですが・・・ おそらく、そのビデオを通して backが反映されてるというかんじの文章なのだとは思いますが、あてはまる日本語がわかりません。 宜しくお願いします(´_`。)

• 小説です。スティーブン・キング

The Institute She was frowning at him. "What good would what do?" "Anything," he said. "Anything at all, Winnie." He didn't want Harveys bristol Cream, or Twisted Tea, or even Stump Jump Grenache, a name John Keats might have been thinking of when he said something or other was "call'd as romantic as that westwards mood in you waning ribbon of the night." "You want to watch that wise mouth, Luke." 英文の和訳と英文の構造を教えてください。特に when he said something or other was "call'd as romantic as that westwards moon in you waning ribbon of the night."という部分が構造、意味とも理解できません。よろしくお願いします。