• ベストアンサー

Since Oliver started reading a book

ichiro1985の回答

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

帰国子女の者です。 まず解答からいくと、このbutはnothing butで一つの熟語と考えた方がいいです。 nothing but Aで、「Aのことしか・・・」、もしくは「A以外は」みたいな意味になります。 つまりこの文章を和訳すると、 「オリバーはMt.Everestの本を読み始めてからというもの、登山のことについてしか話をしない。」 みたいな和訳になります。 ニュアンス的にいくと、"nothing but"を "only"で置き換えた文と同じような感じになります。 ただ、なんかNothing butってしたほうがほんとにそのことしか話さないんだよって感じで強調されるような感じがしないでもないです(笑)

質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。また質問したらお願いします。

関連するQ&A

• 完了進行形

こんばんは☆高1です☆ 今、グラマーで時制の完了進行形の勉強をしているのですが・・・ She has been reading the book since this morning.(彼女は今朝からずっとのその本を読んでいます) の文ってShe had been reading the book since this morning.(彼女は今朝からずっとその本を読んでいた) ではダメなんでしょうか? 穴あき問題などだと現在完了進行形か過去完了進行形かどちらにしていいかわからないんですが・・・ どうしたら見分けることができますか?

• 英検の並べ替え問題

why are you getting a new car, Monica? Well ,my old one is always breaking down, and the windows don't open properly. It( ) since I bought it. nothing been but has trouble has been trouble but nothing でしょうか? つまり hasn't been trouble の別の表現の形ですか? I'm really worried about Billy. These days, all ( ) his room. Don't worry. He's studying so hard because he wants to do well on his final exams. study he is does in さっぱり分かりません。どなたか並べ替えて下さい。

• どのような意味でしょうか

I am a mother of three children, but it's the oldest my husband and I worry about. When "John" went to college, he started drinking a lot. I asked him about it then, and he admitted that he might have a problem, but he did nothing about it. That was 10 years ago. He has had two DWIs since, and he drinks every day. I found out from his girlfriend that he actually gets into the shower with a beer in his hand. I recently noticed that the whites of his eyes are yellow, which I'm told is a sign of liver damage. We've tried talking with John, but he denies he has a problem. My daughter and her friends have gone out socially with John, and she says he is fun to be with, and then suddenly a switch flips and he yells and curses. gone out socially with Johnはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

I work for a nonprofit and have developed a close relationship over the years with my (now former) board chairman. He has been a true mentor and a good friend, and we’ve talked about our personal lives to each other. A few years ago his wife died tragically in an accident, but since then he has started dating. There has never been anything other than friendship between us, although I did have a crush on him long ago. At our organization’s annual gala the other night, he got extremely drunk. He was stumbling, going up to women he knows, hugging and kissing them, and caressing backs and hands. galaはfestivalと何か違うのでしょうか?あと、backsは複数の人の背中だから複数形なのでしょうか?(背中は一つなのでa backとしてしまいそうなのですが)よろしくお願いします

• 英語が全く分からないもので…

次の英文は時制に気をつけて直せばよいのでしょうか?教えてください。 1.He (do) nothing before he saw me. 2.He (fix) the machine for three hours since noon. 3.We (never meet) them before the reception yesterday. 4.This is the best book that I (read) lately. 5.He has decided to go to America next spring. Then he (be) in that country five times.

• He read the book の 進行系教えて

クイズで苦手な 英語の問題がでました。 この 構文の進行系を 教えてください ちなみに 4つからの選択です 1.He is reading the book 2. He was readinng the book 3. He had been readinng the book 4. He has been readinng the book 英語の得意な方お願いします

• 高校英語教えてください。

1.We are going to have the house ( ) this weekend. (1) to be painted (2) to paint (3) painted (4) painting 2.Read this book ( ). (1) as carefully as you can (2) as carefully as you possible (3) so carefully as possible (4) so carefully as you can 3.I heard somebody ( ) Lydia about the news,and I noticed that it upset her. (1) talked (2) tell (3) say (4) saying 4.彼は全力を尽くしたが、結局何も得られずに終わった。(適語を入れよ) He did as much as he could, but he got nothing in the ( ). 1.2. 3.は(1)~(4)から選び、日本語訳、4.は( )の中に適語を入れる問題です。 よろしくお願いします。

• validating

He told me about his girlfriend, whom he broke up with shortly after we started hanging out; he started dating another girl; and then he joined Tinder to date other people, telling me about his travails the whole time. I felt jealous and upset and inferior, but I found his attention validating, ここでのvalidatingの訳し方を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 現在完了進行形、過去完了進行形の違いについて

文法の問題集を解いていて、今一つ分からないところがありました。現在完了進行形と過去完了進行形の違いです。 問題集の例文に 「彼は大学生のころから社会に対して何が出来るのかを考えていた」 He had been thinking about what he could do for the society since he was a university student. とありました。sinceがついているということは、大学生の頃から「ずっと今も考えている」という状況ですよね。そうすると、 He has been thinking about ........とした方が自然だと思うのですが何故この文はhad beenになっているのでしょう。 「考えていた」=had been thinking となると「今は考えていない、または考えているかどうか分からない」という状況になっていると考えていいのでしょうか? ご教授を宜しくお願い致します。

• 過去完了

The adopting tradition started to fulfill Neydi’s childhood dream of owning a dog. “Carlos got our first dog, Captain, as a surprise for me. We had talked about getting a dog since we got married, so he got him for the first-year mark,” Neydi said. 過去完了が過去より前の事柄を表すのはわかるのですが、ここではCarlos got our first dogかwe got marriedかhe got himのどれの前の事を表しているのでしょうか? 見極める方法などありますか?よろしくお願いします