• 締切済み

お話の中の英文の和訳。

今英語の本を読んでいるのですが、その中でどうしても訳せないものがあります。 以下おわかりでしたら、教えてください。 1 A certain tough-edged racial tolerance prevailed. 2 Most families were intact and secure. 3 Father down, at 932(これは番地です), my grandmothr lived. 4 They can save you a trip down here. 文中からの抜粋なんで、わかりにくいかと思いますが、よろしくお願いします。

みんなの回答

noname#2733
noname#2733
回答No.5

皆さ~ん! 下記参照! Also in the book, Powell, who is of Jamaican ancestry, points to the ethnic diversity of his neighborhood, which was filled with Jews, Irish, Polish, Italians, blacks, and Hispanic families. He also points out that, while many social and criminal problems did exist, they were a far cry from the neighborhoods depiction in Fort Apache, The Bronx. "When I was growing up in Hunts Point, a certain rough-edged racial tolerance prevailed," says Powell, "and, critically, most families were intact and secure." これで議論してくださいね! toughではなくroughです!!これで誰でも意味が分かりますよね! intactとsecureの部分については、この内容からお分かり頂けると思います(特にGさん、aさんのレベルの方なら!)。 引用はBronxite Colin Powell to Become First Black Secretary of State By JOHN DESIO 2000/12/21 Bronx Press Reviewからです。 私のコメントは皆様多分聞きたくないと思われるので、今回パスします! 質問される方、綴りには気をつけましょう!

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
回答No.4

akatoraさん、お久しぶりです。 反論じゃなくて、説明させてくださいね。 つまり、intactと言う表現し方は、家庭崩壊がないと言う意味なんですね。 ですから、意訳的に愛情に包まれたとかいてしまいましたが、akatoraさんがおっしゃったように、辞書的にはそういう意味にはなっていないと、同意します。 secureも同じように取りましたが、どうしてもintactの方が家庭崩壊がないという意味が強いので、つまり家族が一緒になって、と言う事を言いたかったんですね。 また、南からと言う事ですが、これは住所が北Johnsonn St.としたため、南から見た/北と言う言い方をしたわけで、これが、South Johnson St.であれば、Farther downで(もっとも、この件については、質問者は確認していませんが)、今度は、「北側から」みて、という意味あいになります。 ですから、文章の書き方から言うと、下手な私の説明の悪さともいえます。 ですから、akatoraさんの遠ざかるという、説明の方が日本語的だとうらやましくも思います。 これでいいでしょうか。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
noname#2891
noname#2891
回答No.3

2の ‘intact’ には「愛情に包まれ」の意味はありません。むしろ「危害を加えられることもなく」の意味であり、次の形容詞 ‘secure’ と同義と考えてよいでしょう。たとえば 'Keep it intact.' なら「触るな!」です。 また、3,4で使われている ‘down’ は「南へ」の意味で使われることもありますが、ここでは、「あなた(わたし)の位置から遠ざかるときに使われる ‘down’」ではないかと思います。(4はあきらかに。)逆に、「近づいてくる」場合は ‘up’ ですね。 1はどういう状況なのでしょう? 意味はNo.1 の方の通りだと思いますが。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
回答No.2

アメリカに35年ほど住んでいる者です。 じゃ、2番から行きますね。  2 Most families were intact and secure. 殆んどの家族は愛情に包まれ、崩壊の可能性はなかった。 3 Father down, at 932(これは番地です), my grandmothr lived. これは、ミスプリントだと思います。 つまり、Farther down, at 932, my grandmother lived.だと思います。 これは、932に道の名前が入るわけですけど、たとえば、932 North Johnson Streetとか。そして、すでに、そのとおりの話が出てていて、この番地がNorthなので、それより、南のところの話があったのでしょう。  ハイ、それを背景にして、意味は、その道を下った932番地に祖母が住んでいた。と言う事です。 4 They can save you a trip down here. ここまで来る必要はないよ、と言う意味です。 つまり、宅配サービス使えるから、わざわざここまで来る手間が省けます。と言う場面の事です。 こんなもんでどうしようですか?

mapi1122
質問者

お礼

なるほど、よくわかりました。4の文は銀行で利息を記帳しようとして、銀行員にいわれた台詞なんですね。 多分、それはわざわざやらなくてもいいよ、という意味なんですね。なぜtrip...っと悩みました。毎回ありがとうございます。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
  • cincinnati
  • ベストアンサー率46% (606/1293)
回答No.1

このようなことは余りあり得ないことだと思いますが、即ち、人種の問題は些細なことで手に負えない暴動などに発展するのが常ですが、ここでは 1)強力な人種的寛容が支配していた。 他の部分は別の方に

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• 英文を和訳して下さい。

John Aasen (March 5, 1890 – August 1, 1938) was an American silent film actor who was one of the tallest actors in history. Aasen was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota. His mother, Kristi (Danielsen) from Rollag in Numedal, was an extremely tall Norwegian woman of around 2.20 m (almost 7 ft 3 inches) in height (latest information from September 2008, sets her height to 188 cm, almost 6 ft 2 inches). It is not certain who his father was, but according to Aasen's sister Evelyn (who died in 1988), his father was Alfred Aasen. When Aasen was ten years old, he and his mother moved from Ridgeway, Iowa (where his uncle Sam/Sevre lived with his wife Cornelia) to Sheyenne, North Dakota with his two younger siblings. Aasen was a Freemason. He raised to the degree of Master Mason at Highland Park Lodge No. 382, Los Angeles on July 14, 1924. When in Sheyenne, Aasen's mother operated a restaurant. He attended school and helped out in the family business. In 1902, Aasen's mother died. He was taken into many homes and families. When a family he was staying with started to operate a hotel in Leeds, North Dakota, he moved with them there. Aasen's growth started slowly. When he was confirmed in the Lutheran faith in Grandfield Lutheran Church near Sheyenne, North Dakota, he was the shortest in his class. According to some sources, Aasen was around 2.74 m or 8 feet, 11½ inches (which, if true, would make him even taller than Robert Wadlow, the tallest verified person in history). The Top 10 of Everything 2010 edition states his height at 8 feet, 9.7 inches. According to the 1978 edition of Guinness World Records he was only 7 feet (213.4 cm). Just before his death, at age 46, he was medically measured at 7 feet 0.9 inches, however he had lost some height due to age and could not stand completely straight anymore. In June 2008, Loma Linda University confirmed that the 7-foot-2.4-inch (219 cm) skeleton they had in their collection was John Aasen. Aasen worked for Midway Chemical, a company based in St. Paul, in 1917-1918. After that, he worked in various shows, including Barnum & Bailey and C.A. Wortham's World's Best Shows. The death of giant George Auger led to Aasen's working in the film Why Worry? (1923). Later, he acted in several other films like Bengal Tiger, Charlie Chan at the Circus, Growing Pains, Should Married Men Go Home?, Legionnaires in Paris, Two Flaming Youths, The Sting of Stings, Long Fliv the King and the Tod Browning film Freaks, in a small uncredited cameo appearance. Aasen died from pneumonia on August 1, 1938 at Mendocino State Hospital in Mendocino, California. His body was later shipped to a doctor in Missouri for study and dissection. The skeleton was kept by the doctor, and eventually shipped to Loma Linda, California. Aasen's cremated soft parts were given a Masonic funeral at Forest Lawn Cemetery in Glendale, California.

• この英文の和訳お願いします。 

この英文を和訳お願いします。  誤字があったらすみません。 The first describes the family life of people of pensionable age in a working-class borough of East London; the second discusses the chief social problems of old age against the background of family organization and relationships. Concern about the growing number of old people springs partly from an assumption that many of them are isolated from their families and from the community. It is widely believed that the ties of kinships are much less enduring than they once were and that as a consequence the immediate family of parents and unmarried children, of which the individual is a member for only part of his lifetime, has replaced the larger family of three or four generations, of which the individual is a member for the whole of his life, as the fundamental unit of society. Such an assumption is of very great importance and demands careful examination. The first trial interview i had when I started this study was with an old man whose situation suggested the assumption might be right. He was an old widower of seventy-six years of age who lived alone in two rooms on the third floor of a block of tenement flats. His wife had died two years previously and he had no children. He was a very thin, large-boned man with a high-domed forehead and a permanent stoop. His frayed waistcoat and trousers hung in folds. At the time of calling, 5.30 pm, he was having his first meal of the day, a hot-pot of mashed peas and ham washed down with a pint of tea from a large mug. The lining-room was dilapidated, with old black-out curtains covering the windows, crockery placed on newspapers, and piles of old magazines tucked under the chairs. In one corner of the room by an open fireplace (a kitchener) stood a broken meat-safe with scraps of food inside. There was a photo of his wife in her twenties on the mantel-piece tonight with one of a barmaid and a pin-up from a Sunday paper. His wife's coat still hung on a hook on the door and her slippers were tidily placed in the hearth.

• 英文和訳をお願いします・・・。

America's child death shame Every five hours a child dies from abuse or neglect in the US. The latest government figures show an estimated 1,770 children were killed as a result of maltreatment in 2009. A recent congressional report concludes the real number could be nearer 2,500. In fact, America has the worst child abuse record in the industrialised world. Why? The BBC's Natalia Antelava investigates. Sixty-six children under the age of 15 die from physical abuse or neglect every week in the industrialised world. Twenty-seven of those die in the US - the highest number of any other country. Even when populations are taken into account, Unicef research from 2001 places the US equal bottom with Mexico on child deaths from maltreatment. In Texas, one of the states with the worst child abuse records, the Dallas Children's Medical Center is dealing with a rising number of abused children and increasing levels of violence. Meanwhile, the Houston Center is expanding its services to deal with the rising problem of child sex abuse. Emma Thompson was just four years old when she was beaten to death in 2009. Her injuries included broken ribs, a bloodied lip, widespread bruising and a fractured skull. She had also been raped. Her mother and her mother's partner have been jailed over the abuse. But Emma's father, Ben, believes his daughter was let down by everyone around her. Just like Emma Thompson, hundreds more children fall through the cracks of the child protection system. Some blame overworked investigators and inefficient management, while others say it's the federal government's drive to keep families together that is the problem. But child protection officials in Texas, a state with one of the highest total number of child deaths from abuse and neglect in the US, say such cases are complicated and difficult to assess - especially when a child's guardians are hiding what is really going on.

• 和訳お願いします。

As their dinner goes on, my father tells of his plans for the future, and mother shows with expressive face how interested she is, and how impressed. My father becomes exultant, lifted up by the waltz that is being played, and his own future begins to intoxicate him. My father tells my mother that he is going to expand his business, for there is a great deal of money to be made. He wants to settle down. After all, he is twenty-nine, he has lived by himself since his thirteenth year, he is making more and more money, and he is envious of his friends when he visits them in the security of their homes, surrounded, it seems, by the calm domestic pleasures, and by delightful children, and then as the waltz reaches the moment when the dancers all swing madly,then, then with awful daring, then he asks my mother to marry him, although awlnvardly enough and puzzled as to how he had arrived at the question, and she, to make the whole business worse, begins to cry, and my father looks nervously about, not knowing at all what to do now, and my mother says, "It's all I've wanted from the first moment I saw you," sobbing, and he fin& all of this very difficult, scarcely to his taste, scarcely as he thought it would be, on his long walks over Brooklyn Bridge in the revery of a fine cigar, and it was then, at that point, that I stood up in the theatre and shouted: "Don't do it! It's not too late to change your minds, both of you. Nothing good will come of it, only remorse, hatred, scandal, and two children whose characters are monstrous." The whole audience turned to look at me, annoyed, the usher came hurrying down the aisle flashing his searchlight, and the old lad next to me tugged me down into my seat, saying: "Be quiet. You'll be put ou4 and you paid thirty-five cents'to come in." And so I shut my eyes becausex could not bear to see what was happening. I sat there quietly.

• 和訳をお願いします。

入院と自動車学校で勉強ができませんでした。 テストが間近です。手助けをお願いします。 Among the Arabs, too, Lawrence’s fame had spread.Now every time he rode into an Arab camp the Arabs would fire their rifles into the air and shout over and over,〝Aurens!Aurens!’’They could not say the name properly,but they all knew it was Lawrence they were cheering.The Turks,too,had heard of Lawrence by now,and they wanted him killed or captured.So what Lawrence said happened next might well be true.Lawrence decided to go on a spying trip.Everything went wrong and the Turks caught him. A short way along the Damascus-Medina railway there is a town called Deraa.In the First World War it was an important railway junction,a place where two main lines met.If Lawrence and the Arabs could blow up the track there,it would be a major setback for the Turks.But was this possible?There were a lot of Turkish soldiers in Deraa,and because it was the local capital the Bey(goverment) lived there too.The Bey of Deraa was a tall,heavy man with a thick black mustache.We know from a diary he kept during the war that he had heard of Lawrence and that he had heard of Lawrence and that he had made up his mind to try to capture him.Lawrence believed that the only way to learn for certain whether it was possible to attack Deraa was to go there on a spying mission and see for himself.So he dressed in ordinary Arab clothes and asked an old Arab to go with him.He hoped that the Turks would think that he and the old man were just a son and his father who had come to town to buy something.Forawhile everything went well.No one paid any attention to two Arabs,walking barefoot,their cheap clothes stained by the rain and mud.They went and looked at the railway station,pretending to check the trains.They walked outside the fence,but took careful note of its stores,barbed-wire defenses,and trenches. 入院していたころの範囲です。 ノートも次の授業の関係で借りることができませんでした・・・。 よろしくお願いします。

• 和訳と問題解いてください!!

和訳だけでもかまいませんが、できれば解いてほしいです(゜Д゜)  As I have lived in Japan for years, you'll think I am completely used to life here. However, having grown up in the United States and having lived here since my early twenties, there are still a few things that confuse me in my daily life.  In the USA, people drive on the right but in Japan driving on the left is the law. I have been driving here for a long time and usually don't have any trouble. However, after (1) from a trip of two or three weeks to my native country, I often find myself switching on the wipers of my car when I signal for a turn with my blinkers. Also, when I stop, (2)(than/me/it/more/time/takes) most drivers to proceed because I can't get into the habit of looking to the right first. I unconsciously look to the left first and then to the right. But don't worry. I haven't had (3) yet.  There are two more opposite things. I look through the advertisements in the newspaper to see what bargains there are. When something is on sale, the advertisement says something like, ‛‛70% to 50% Off!’’ The 70% attracts my attention, but it seems strange to me that the percentage goes down. In America, advertisements often say the lower percentage first, follwed by the (4) percentage. 50% sounds great and then 70% seems fantastic in comparison. Secondly, when I speak Japanese, I automatically think in Japanese. But there are a few phrases which sometimes cause me (5) and think in English for a moment. For example, I have to think in reverse when I am talking about the length of a trip. In Japanese you say a trip is ‛‛two nights and three days,’’but it is said the other way around.  A famous Britis writer said in his poem, ‛‛East is East, and West, and the two will never meet.’’ Convenient air travel and the Internet have (6) our world borderless. If we could only get rid of opposites, the east and west could easily meet. 1 (1)と(5)を適切な形に変える時、正しいものを選びなさい。  (1)(returns/returned/returning/to return)  (5) (stops/to stop/stopping/stopped) 2 (2)を正しく並べかえなさい。 3 (3)(4)(6)に入る適切な語を選びなさい。  (3)(a car/an accident/a habit/a license)  (4)(lower/higher/more/bigger)  (5)(found/been/made/called) 4 英語では「2泊3日」はどのように言うか、本文に即して答えなさい。 5 ァ、How to become a japanese   ィ、Opposites in advertsing are difficult   ゥ、Living abroad can be confusing   ェ、Living abroad is dangerous   ォ、East never meets West では、よろしくお願いします!!!

• 医療関係 以下の英文の和訳をお願いします

医療関係 以下の英文の和訳をお願いします In one of the many curious coincidences in the history of science, the first modern high explosive -nitroglycerin- became one of the very first man-made drugs. Prior to the invention of nitroglycerin, most truly effective drugs in common use, like aspirin, digitalis, morphine and quinine, were all derived from plant sources. Due to its explosive power, nitroglycerin was known as the most hazardous compound that man had ever concocted. Alfred Nobel combined it with an inert binder and invented dynamite in the middle of 19th century. It was also Nobel who first observed nitroglycerin's benefits in treating chest pain. Nitroglycerin relaxes the blood vessels, permitting them to expand. This expansion reduces the pumping force the heart exerts while circulating blood through the body, lightening the heart's workload and relieving the crushing pain of angina. Nitric oxide is thought to play a critical role in the process of vasodilation. Until recently, however, scientists did not understand the mechanism by which nitric oxide is generated from the nitroglycerin molecule. In 2002, an American research team found that a certain enzyme breaks down nitroglycerin and releases a nitric oxide-related molecule. This biochemeical reaction takes place in the mitochondrion, a compartment within cells commonly known as the cell's "powerhouse." Nitroglycerin is known to cause one unpleasant side effect: severe headaches. It is thought that these symptoms are caused by the expansion of the blood vessels on the brain. Nitroglycerin may also produce dizziness from hypotension -excessive lowering of the blood pressure. Nitroglycerin is only effective when it is absorbed through the mucous membranes into the bloodstream. For this reason, the tables are not swallowed but placed under the tongue. If swallowed, nitroglycerin would be completely broken down and rendered ineffective by the liver before it enters the bloodstream. One bit of nonsense perpetrated by Hollywood is the idea that if a patient with a "week" heart gets to his nitroglycerin tablets in time, the tablets will save his life. In real life, however, many attacks of angina cannot be treated effectively with nitroglycerin. In such cases, the patients should seek immediate medical help.

• 英語の文章と和訳があります。和訳は適切ですか?

To this end, the bakufu insisted on regulating senior court and ecclesiastical appointments; the monarch was left with nothing but the style of sovereignty, the ‘’right’’ to appoint the shogun, and his traditional religious functions as chief mediator between heaven and earth according to Confucian notions, or between his divine ancestors and his subjects in the Shinto rituals. Yet although the Kyoto court lived as a sort of prisoner of the Edo bakufu, the Tokugawa authorities took care to make it a gilded captivity. Following the precedent set by Yoritomo and the Hojo regents, they always spoke to and of court in an extremely respectful fashion. Whenever the Kyoto palaces and nobles’ residences fell into a state of disrepair or were damaged by fire or tempest, the Edo government hastened to rebuild them. Most important of all, the imperial and other court families regularly received an adequate, if hardly princely, income from certain shogunal estates set aside for their material support. 和訳 この目的の為、幕府は上級官位と僧侶の任命を制限すると強く主張した。 つまり天皇には将軍を任命する「権利」をもつ君主という形と、儒教の概念で言うところの天と地との間の最高の調停者としてか、もしくは神道儀式において、神なるおのが祖先と自分の臣下たちの間を取り持つ者としての伝統的宗教的役割以外何も残らなかったのだ。京都の朝廷は江戸幕府のある意味捕虜のようにして存続していたが、代々の徳川将軍はそれを見ためピカピカで華やかな捕らわれ人とするよう心がけた。頼朝や北条氏の執権により定められた先例に基づき、常に最大級敬意を払うやり方で朝廷に話したり、朝廷のことを口にしていた。京都御所と公家の屋敷が修理が必要だったり、家事や暴風雨により被害を受けた時はいつでも、江戸幕府は急いで作りなおした。中でも最重要だったのは、それがかなりの額でない限り、天皇と他の皇族が彼らの物質的援助の為に確保された幕府直轄領から定期的に適切な収入を受け取ることだった。

• この英文メールの意味を知りたいのですが。。。。

アメリカにいる友達から下記のようなメールをもらいました。なんだかイマイチ意味がよくわかりません。だいたいのニュアンスでけっこうですので、教えてください。これを書いた時の友達の心理とかも(もしわかるようでしたら)お願いします。 God still sits on the throne. Each of you is going through a tough time right now but God is getting ready to bless you in a way that only He can. Keep the faith. My instructions were to pick four people that I wanted God to bless, and I picked you. Please pass this to at least four people you want to be blessed and a copy back to me. This prayer is powerful, and prayer is one of the best gifts we receive. There is no cost but a lot of rewards. Let's continue to pray for one another.Here is the prayer: Father, I ask You to bless my friends, relatives and email buddies reading this right now. Show them a new revelation of Your love and power.Holy Spirit, I ask You to minister to their spirit at this very moment.Where there is pain, give them Your peace and mercy. Where there is self-doubt, release a renewed confidence through Your grace. Bless their homes, families, finances, their goings and their comings.In Jesus' precious name. Amen.

• 次の英文和訳をお願いします!温暖化の話です。

Most scientists now fear that the massive amount of carbon dioxide humans are pumping into the air will lead to a catastrophic rise in Earth's temperatures, dramatically raising sea levels as glaciers melt and leading to extreme weather worldwide. Abdussamatov remains contrarian, however, suggesting that the sun holds something quite different in store. "The solar irradiance began to drop in the 1990s, and a minimum will be reached by approximately 2040," Abdussamatov said. "It will cause a steep cooling of the climate on Earth in 15 to 20 years."