• ベストアンサー

have toについて

For many people , a long vacation is the only time they have to catch up with their reading. 多くの人にとって、長期休暇のときくらいしか読みたいと思っていた本を読む時間はない。 という訳なんですがhave to の意味がよくわかりません。 ~する必要があるという訳では合わない気がします。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • trgovec
  • ベストアンサー率52% (2538/4879)
回答No.1

これはhave toがつながっていません。 they have はthat they haveの関係代名詞の省略でこれを取り除くと the only time to catch up with their reading となり、「読むものに追い付く(読むつもりだったが時間がなくて読めなかった本を読む)ための唯一の時間」という意味でそれに「彼等が持っている」を加えて、 「多くの人にとって、長期休暇とは読むものに追い付く(読むつもりだったが時間がなくて読めなかった本を読む)ための自分達が持つ唯一の時間である。」 これをこなれた訳にしたものが「多くの人にとって、長期休暇のときくらいしか読みたいと思っていた本を読む時間はない。」となります。 ついでに、この文を読むときはhaveとtoの間に少しポーズが入り、ハヴ トゥと発音されます。

billboard
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。 よく見てみると回答者様のおっしゃるとおりでした。 不定詞だったんですね。 発音についてもありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• have toを「しなければならない」と訳してはなぜいけない?

今受験勉強真っ最中です。 そこで質問ですが、ある参考書で、 I have always wondered at the passion many people have to meet the celebrated. という文を見つけました。その解説には 『このhave toは「しなければならない」ではない』 とだけ書かれてましたが、意味が分かりません。  どういうことでしょう。教えてください。

• 一橋大学 自由英作文 添削のお願い 

一橋大学 自由英作文 添削のお願い (120字~150字)                                                                                       条件・ 日本人はもっと長い休暇が必要である。について述べなさい。                                                                                I agree with this statement. These days, there are many problems which are concerned with work. I think that many people who work everyday seem to be very tired. I once read in the news paper that some people died because they worked too hard though their physical strength was not so strong. I think that Japanese people are tend to make efforts to achive something they have to do although it is not always the case, so if there are more free time for workers, these problems could be solved. I think that there are two merit in a long vacation. First, needless to say, they can have more time for rest. Secondly, they can develop their skills using a long vacation.Thus, I agree that Japanese need longer vacation and this will make it possible for workers to feel more happier. (143字)                                                                                                                  文法面を中心に採点して下さると嬉しいです。また文の構造面(特にbecause~thoughのところなど)もよろしくお願いします。

• 主語の入れ替わり

ある文章から抜粋です。 初めのtheyはtreesを意味します。 Not only have they provided people with one of their most valuable construction materials; but by their strength, beauty and stillness they have soothed their spirit and have been constant pleasure to their eyes. stillnessの前後でtheyの内容が入れ替わっているのだとは思いますが、このような書き方をすることは許されるのでしょうか。(確かに、their eyesというあたりを読めば、最後の一文のtheyがtreesを意味しているわけではないのはわかりますが)

• They have failed to comply with the

They have failed to comply with the resolution. 上の文の訳を教えてください。

• should have to の意味

異なる辞書で「should have to ~」を含む例文をいくつか見かけたのですが、 どう訳すのか気になります。 must とほぼ同意、なども示していただけると嬉しいです。 よろしくお願いいたします。 ・I really don't see why I should have to explain myself to you. ・Universities should not have to compromise their academic standards. ・It is unfortunate that people should have to live in such anxiety about their money. ・It stuck in my throat that she should have to take responsibility for his error.

• 和訳お願いいたします。

以下の文の和訳をお願いいたします。↓ ・What are the main things that Japanese companies look for in an employee? ・Many people have to work very long hours, and many of those are unpaid. ・Japanese companies often make their workers from taking long holidays together. ・Japanese, it seems, strongly discourage their workers from taking long holidays. ・Some Japanese companies expect woman to leave and get married when they reach about 25, so even highly qualified women don't get such good jobs. ・Should workers have to socialize with their bosses? ・Should workers try to keep their personal life separate from their work? ・What things make for good boss? 以上です。よろしくお願いします。

• 再度英語の質問です。

People use them up.のthemは、休暇のことでしょうか。upがついているのはどうしてでしょうか。 The ones that have not used are leftover vacation days.は、使われなかった休暇は、繰越休暇になりますという意味でしょうか。carry-overとかついていないので、そこまで言及しているのかどうかわかりません。よろしくお願いします。 ↓ こんにちは。この一文についての質問をしたところ ‘One in five has leftover vacation days.’ このような返事がありました。 In your example with vacation days, it is referring to the consumption of vacation days. People use them up. The ones that have not used are leftover vacation days.

• 英作文添削お願いします。

テーマはここ数年のニュースで話題になったものというものです。 I was interested in the news which the age of adult should be lowered to eighteen years old. I agree with this idea. Young people these days are overprotected. They can't know anything about the world. It is true that people in their teens still aren't mentally and physically mature. Many teenager don't have a full time job, live with their parents and depend on their parents, However, this is the reason why the age of adult should be lowered. Someday, they will have to live by their own. If they have to be responsible to everything they do, they will become aware that they should be independent. They would also appreciate their parents. よろしくおねがいします。

• subject to?

次の文章の訳をお願いします。特にsubject toの意味がわかりません。 Our job is to make available to the unemployed, particularly to young people arriving on the job market and to the long-term unemployed, a range of measures against exclusion designed to foster their integration into the labor market, subject to their active availability for work for vocational training with a view to obtaining employment.

• to seekの訳し方を教えて下さい。

many studies have argued that people with disorder have low levels of arousability, which may lead them to seek stimulation and sensation through impulsive and dangerous acts. 多くの研究は論じてきた、病気の人々が低い喚起水準を持つ事を、そしてそれは、人々に衝動的かつ危険な行動から至る刺激と感覚を導くだろう。 わからない箇所は、 to seekの訳し方です。 「捜し求める」だと何かおかしいですよね。 他の訳に関しては正しいと思うのですが…。